New Midfield Coach - Mark Williams

w00dy

I love it when people criticise success. He won 3 premierships in a row - I don't care if he did with 3 pigs and a barn full of chickens! Success is the only measuring stick in footy. At any level it is hard to win one premiership let alone 3 in a row in the second best competition in Australia.

I take your point on "no name" coaches but I think as far as "names and profiles" are concerned our coaches stack up against Geelongs (Brendan McCartney, Ken Hinkley, Leigh Tudor & Brenton Sanderson). But that is irrelevant anyway - as I said its all about results. Geelong clearly have the results on the board and we don't. That's not the fault of the current coaches or football department. You want to lay blame point it squarely at ND and CAC who had a decade to build a list and left us with this!

If Melbourne wanted to appoint high profile coaches to attract the corporate dollar then they would have appointed Sheedy. The only way we will attract dollars into the club is success. Because of where we have had to start due to the past errors we have a long hard road ahead of us.

a) In the VFL you can win premierships with a heap of rejects because of the standard at VFL level you can't at AFL level. The SANFL is better they smash the VFL nearly everytime they play.

Even though we do have an ordinary list it shouldn't stop the team from at least being competitive. We were never this uncompetitive under Neale Daniher 100% of the blame must go to Bailey. Thompson was a captain and premiership player while Bailey was an awful footballer, Mahoney a one year wonder, Williams made Bailey look like a good footballer, Wellman is the only 1 on our coaching panel who has a good record as a footballer and he was sacked by the Bulldogs last year.

c) We should have gone for Sheedy. If we have to eventually merge or relocate choosing Bailey over Sheedy will be 1 of the main reasons.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys could put a positive spin on anything. It reeks of cost cutting and managed to get a big fat zero publicity in the media.

I honestly believe that if Scott Baio got the job as Melbourne midfield coach - there would be posters on Demonland saying it was a great decision. You guys would be rapt that we would have Charles in Charge!!

The SANFL is better they smash the VFL nearly everytime they play.

That's because the VFL are not allowed to play any AFL listed players in representative matches. Most VFL sides have 10-15 AFL listed players playing in any given round thus increasing the standard dramatically.

Well I wish Mark Williams all the Best. Don't underestimate 3 Flags in a row even if it is at VFL Level. We are not Flush with Funds right now so we have to spend small dollars wisely and grow quietly.

If he has the respect of the players i am Happy.

i

Perhaps a 'name' would have got the members excited - did anyone get excited about AA and premiership-winning 300-gamer Paul Williams? - but a 'name' doesn't make you a good coach.

I think Schwab said that we would need to make sacrifices in the short-term to survive, and this would impact on our on-field ability.

You're right with regards continually sacrificing, but on the other hand you can't keep spending if it's not sustainable.

Fair post Rogue. Well put.

That's because the VFL are not allowed to play any AFL listed players in representative matches. Most VFL sides have 10-15 AFL listed players playing in any given round thus increasing the standard dramatically.

Agree.

I admit my first kneejerk reaction was to think..'oh..coffers bare huh!!" but I decided to have a think about this. There may well be some element of bang for buck here.. but in al honesty I think we might just get some real BANG for dollars.

Williams is held in quite high regard by the club. His record at sandy is ..well..speaks for itslef..bit of a no brainer there Id think. As to his midfiled credentials. Well..if yo have had a chance to listen to his quarter and 3/4 time talks then you wil know he is no nonsense.. He;s a get the ball, use it wisely , move it move it move it.. get it to a playe rin a position to do something with it ( thats not always a player in a position by the way!! ) He doesnt advocate a particularly complicated game, and really footy ought not be either. Im left very flatfooted by the seeming lack lustre results by PW.

I see the next few years as developmental and progressional at best anyway..am happy enough to see what Mark can do :)

He won thoses 3 priemerships with half a team of rejects and a full forward who couldn't get a crack at AFL level. For a team that is pleading for sponsorships and members they are not doing much about it. Our no name coaching staff typify's this.

3 premierships in a row, with a bunch of so called rejects at any level would be classified as exemplary though wouldn't it ???

He was probably the best available considering our current situation and a proven match winning coach.

He won't have to do much to better Paul Williams record and IMO will prove to be a good appointment.

Success on the field as a coach is more important than a coach's previous success as a player.

We will not get better sponsorship or more members just because our midfield coach used to be a star.

We will get better sponsorship and more members with success on the field.

At the end of the day I'm happy Paul Williams left. How could anyone argue he succeeded in his role?

One would think if it wasn't for Rocket Eade (former coach of PW), nobody would've touched a midfield coach involved in a team that finished 14th and 16th in his 2 years.

Mark Williams is certainly a budget hiring. How many assistant coaches in the league are not former AFL players? Wish him all the best though.

Another no name promoted at the club. That will get the members excited. I suppose Bailey doesn't want a coach with a higher profile than himself which is almost everyone. I've never been less optimistic about a new season in my whole life. Bailey is killing this club the sooner he goes the better. If we have a season as bad as this year then god help us.

What the F@#$%?????

a) In the VFL you can win premierships with a heap of rejects because of the standard at VFL level you can't at AFL level. The SANFL is better they smash the VFL nearly everytime they play.

Even though we do have an ordinary list it shouldn't stop the team from at least being competitive. We were never this uncompetitive under Neale Daniher 100% of the blame must go to Bailey. Thompson was a captain and premiership player while Bailey was an awful footballer, Mahoney a one year wonder, Williams made Bailey look like a good footballer, Wellman is the only 1 on our coaching panel who has a good record as a footballer and he was sacked by the Bulldogs last year.

c) We should have gone for Sheedy. If we have to eventually merge or relocate choosing Bailey over Sheedy will be 1 of the main reasons.

What the F@#$%??????

exactly, williams understands what's required to achieve success, and despite being at a lower level the challenge is still the same. Whether AFL or h-grade amateurs the principles are the same. The ability of a coach to get the best out of his men is what is important. 3 time premiership coach is a great record.

Williams had a good record at Sandy and seems to have done a good job at his development role based on the improvements in some of our younger players. Don't care about 'profile' - Tim Watson anyone? - just that he can do the job well. And of course for those complaining that he did not play AFL/VFL.. http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Mark%20Williams

Of course I hope that the development vacancy his appointment creates is filled.

Pathetic appointment. Would have liked to see Nathan Buckley get the role. I am sure we offered the job around - its just the standard problem at the moment. Nobody wants to be near Melbourne.

Also noticed in the paper today that Collingwood and the AFL are getting together over Olypic Park. Seems as though we will have no involvement and no training ground there. I though at the least we were getting Collingwoods sloppy seconds with Goshs Paddock.

Narrow mindedness.

Perhaps a 'name' would have got the members excited - did anyone get excited about AA and premiership-winning 300-gamer Paul Williams? - but a 'name' doesn't make you a good coach.

Mark Williams' promotion might get people who've heard of Sandringham's recent success a little excited (does anyone get excited about second or third-tier coaching appointments?).

A name's nothing, particularly if your name comes from playing rather than coaching.

Do all successful people have the ability to teach others how to be successful?

Good post Rogue. Quite correct.

Perhaps some narrow minded people want a big name such as Gary Ayres?

You guys could put a positive spin on anything. It reeks of cost cutting and managed to get a big fat zero publicity in the media.

I honestly believe that if Scott Baio got the job as Melbourne midfield coach - there would be posters on Demonland saying it was a great decision. You guys would be rapt that we would have Charles in Charge!!

Does Gary Ayres fit your criteria Rugolo?

You know what Frank, you're right.

I think, in the future, no matter who is appointed assistant coach they should be written off immediately unless they have at least one brownlow (preferably 2).

MFC don't deserve any respect in terms of their football knowledge and we should assume all appointments are made on a whim.

Or we could be reasonable. But that's a hell of a lot more boring, right?

We finally appoint a "coach" to coach our team who has a proven track record of success and because he's not a recently retired midfielder we slam the club for it's decision. Go Figure? I've just read the dribble on Demonology about this. People talk of Harvey, someone even mentioned Woewodin for f--s sake. Give the club some support. Mark Williams is aa experienced coach who knows what it takes to win, I for one am gald he's been appointed rather than some untrained novice coach with an inflated sense of self. ( Paul Williams anyone!)

Where did I "SLAM" the club?? I merely asked was he the best available.

If this guy was the ideal midfield candidate, his appointment would have been announced the day after Paul Willians resigned. Instead we were told the Dean Bailey was "looking for a replacement".

He might be good - it the manner of his appointment makes it look very much like a second best 'money saving alternative'

The key question is :- "Are we going to get a replacement development coach?" If not it's a worrying cut back in our football department

If this guy was the ideal midfield candidate, his appointment would have been announced the day after Paul Willians resigned. Instead we were told the Dean Bailey was "looking for a replacement".

He might be good - it the manner of his appointment makes it look very much like a second best 'money saving alternative'

The key question is :- "Are we going to get a replacement development coach?" If not it's a worrying cut back in our football department

Totally agree. At some point, given the problems we have with membership, attracting sponsorship and finances, we need to attract footy people who bring some cache to the role.

As I said on another post, we simply cannot wait to win games to reach that goal. Reality suggests that the market does not have the patience to wait.

In any event, given our current trading situation, can we afford to cut corners for the sake of saving a few dollars in the short term, when we may forego a lot more in the future and long term?

I realise it is a delicate balance, but we need to make some savvy decisions in our football department.

As good a VFL coach Mark Williams may have been, I am not at all sure he is what we need right now.

Yes we are getting a decent replacement, in Peter German, who will have a dual role as Casey Coach & MFC development coach.

And the fact that MFC took longer to appoint him could be put down the club doing their due diligence & making sure he was the most suitable coach available.

What is it with supporters that have to turn everything into a negative?

It's not being negative, but concerned supporters wanting everything ot be considered.

What has happened to Chopper Lovell and Brett Lovett?

Yeah, well its assuming from the outset that they HAVEN'T considered everything. And that is negative.