Demons Split on Top Draft Trio

Mousey

Demons Split on Top Draft Trio

I find it interesting they are travelling to Perth this week to meet the families of both, i know this may be a formality but i really thought Watts was our pick done and dusted.

I kind of will be disappointed if we dont go Watts...but hey they know more stuff than me on these kids

I would expect nothing less than for them to leave no stone unturned.

All 3 guys are not without their question marks...

I'd be quite pleased to pick up Rich. Watts would be my preference, but still...

Guest Toot182

All I know, is that I'm Hell-Nervous about them picking someone and having them break down or just be a dud - but I suppose that is the case with any one...

Watts still a lock for me. Most years you have a clear number 1, so the speculation is all but settled by this stage. But even then, the clubs never commit to the kid until the eve of the draft.

Last year, for example, Carltank were babbling about possibly taking Cotchin ahead of Kruezer. Didn't happen. Was never likely to happen. But they still refrained from letting Kruezer know they were taking him until the night before the draft. Similar situation here, its just theres a third factor in the equation.

If you commit too early, you leave yourself open to subsequent events. What happens if, 6 weeks out from the draft, we tell Watts we're taking him, then (god forbid) he gets into a car accident, breaks his legs and is unlikely to play ANY football for at least 12-18 months? Can we just back out and take Rich instead? In theory, yes, but what will that do to our reputation?

For those finance gurus out there, think of it as a 'Real Option'. Time Value is a major factor in deciding whether to exercise.

I'd be disappointed with Naitanui, after his draft camp. For all his much-vaunted athleticism he really only excelled in one or two tests. Rich would be ok, but I'd much prefer Watts.

As an aside, does it [censored] anybody else to tears when people pluralise names, such as Prendergast saying 'the Naitanuis and the Richs'? How many are there!?

Prendergast:

One of those things is that you don't have a 'go home' factor. That's because the players that you actually get into your organisation love your footy club.

I don't agree with that. I think there have been enough instances of players looking for a change of club to their home state to suggest that the 'go home factor' exists.

Prendergast:

One of those things is that you don't have a 'go home' factor. That's because the players that you actually get into your organisation love your footy club.

I don't agree with that. I think there have been enough instances of players looking for a change of club to their home state to suggest that the 'go home factor' exists.

exactly, there is and always will be a go home factor. Don't know what he is on about. For the people that are sold on Watts they obviously haven't seen much of him. They just think 'Watts, Key forward, Quick, Victorian. i'm sold!'. This is far too premature especially when Watts has many flaws and the likes of Rich who is the best available player is right there. At the end of the day, if Watts was from another state you guys wouldnt even be mentioning his name

exactly, there is and always will be a go home factor. Don't know what he is on about. For the people that are sold on Watts they obviously haven't seen much of him. They just think 'Watts, Key forward, Quick, Victorian. i'm sold!'. This is far too premature especially when Watts has many flaws and the likes of Rich who is the best available player is right there. At the end of the day, if Watts was from another state you guys wouldnt even be mentioning his name

Rubbish.

At the end of the day, that is a inane hypothetical statement.

He's a 196cm CHF with great hands, good skills and came 2nd in agility at the draft camp.

If he was from China we would still know about him...

As an aside, does it [censored] anybody else to tears when people pluralise names, such as Prendergast saying 'the Naitanuis and the Richs'? How many are there!?

For starters, there's probably a Mummy and a Daddy.

Prendergast was referring to the families of Daniel and Nicholas.

I think you'll find that the family of Daniel Rich share the 'Rich' name - likewise with Nicholas and his family.

PS. I know what you're getting at, but that's not the case in this quote.

and gumbleton is a 200cm (yes he has grown) key forward with great hands and runs 2nd in essendons 3km time trials.

Acceleration is far more important than endurance for a tall. Ask John Meesen.

I suspect you have no real clue how stupid you sound when belittling Watts as a footballer. I've seen him 3 times live and I've seen Rich and Naitanui live twice.

Most times I'd take a mid at no.1. How many times has a key forward gone 1 ? I can only think of Riewoldt in recent times. Most are still under developed and they don't dominate at junior level until they've physically matured. Wayne Carey was traded by Sydney as a junior. They knew he was good, but it was too early to be sure of the impending greatness. By his own admission Nathan Buckley was a very soft 'outside' player at 17 and was borderline best 22 for his school side at Salesian College (Sunbury).

Watts is arguably the quickest key position player the game has seen, which is an enormous asset for a forward. His Vic Metro Coach David Dickson rates him as having the best hands in a marking contest he's seen. His timing is superb in a pack marking situation. His evasiveness and agility puts most mids to shame. And his kicking skills on both sides are excellent. Until recently he spent as much time on the basketball court as the footy field. The package of Watts the footballer and athlete is just about as exciting as it gets, but it surprises me little that the talent identification escapes you.

Smoke & Mirrors people, Smoke & Mirrors.

But honestly, it would be very neglectful of the club if they didn't do all of their research which includes meeting them again.

This is the thing...why telegraph to all and sundry what we are going to do?? Doesnt benefit us at all. Leaving it til late means we can extract all the relevant info still unearthed etc.

Freak, apologies if this has ben covered elsewhere, what are Watts potential flaws? What makes you so sure of Rich? All three boys have their unknowns but most appear to believe Rich a sure thing? This cannot be from his carnival performance where the only time he looked damaging was when he was not being manned up. As soon as he saw a tag his head dropped. I also would doubt this would be because he has burnt playing against men in the WAFL. Consistent sub 20 possession games culminating with 9 in a grand final (FWIW Phil Read had 24 possessions) dont really get me overly excited. It could not be his draft camp testing as he hardly participated due to injury.

I would think if you rated them across leap, speed, agility and decision making Watts would be the best performed player in the history of the draft camp. Then also add his actual proven ability at the highest junior level to player (Larke Medal). And lets not forget the kid was focussing on another sport. I cannot even fathom the comparison on paper let alone consider why Rich would be so clearly ahead in your eyes.

No one knows who is will be the better of the three but on paper who we should take could be no clearer.

has watts got the running back with the flight courage of riewoldt? No

does he have the aggression at the man of fevola? no

does he have the body-strength of jono brown? no (and chances are he never will)

is he as quick as franklin? yes he is, but does not have franklins tackling ability, or his aggression, or the self-confidence.

does he have the body-strength of jono brown? no (and chances are he never will)

is he as quick as franklin? yes he is, but does not have franklins tackling ability, or his aggression, or the self-confidence.

Basically the concerns you have for Watts are all yet to be cemented in concrete. In other words, you don't know. By your own admission you've only ever seen him play once. You have no idea what courage or aggression he'll show when he's 'AFL ready'.

You're crystal ball gazing. I think you spend too much time looking at your own.

hahhaha

im not even going to waste my time and effort needed to reply to that unbelievably naive post...

an absolute joke...

I think you'll find that the family of Daniel Rich share the 'Rich' name - likewise with Nicholas and his family.

Ok smarty-pants. Right as usual :)

I suppose when I read football claptrap I just have a pre-conception about what is going to be said... some mish-mash of cliches and such.

My apologies Barry. I took ye for a lesser man.

Basically the concerns you have for Watts are all yet to be cemented in concrete. In other words, you don't know. By your own admission you've only ever seen him play once. You have no idea what courage or aggression he'll show when he's 'AFL ready'.

You're crystal ball gazing. I think you spend too much time looking at your own.

You've mellowed out something chronic H. I remember when you would've fustigated someone for so much less.

Guest Golgothan
and gumbleton is a 200cm (yes he has grown) key forward with great hands and runs 2nd in essendons 3km time trials. in the 06 draft you would have taken gumbleton, i would have taken joel selwood.

So you rate yourself a better judge of talent then at least 6 AFL recruiters do you? Because 6 of them overlooked Selwood in the 2006 draft yet captain obvious (freak) can honestly say that after 2 seasons of hindsight he'd pick the best player from that draft at No.1, well done champ!!

i most certainly do. bookmark this. 'rich will be the best player of this draft'. i went with palmer last year..and while cotchin is looking good, palmer has done more to date hence the rising star. i actually went with boak before selwood, and while he hasn't turned out to be as good as joel selwood i think he has shown alot and one of their best young midfielders.

Ok smarty-pants. Right as usual :)

I suppose when I read football claptrap I just have a pre-conception about what is going to be said... some mish-mash of cliches and such.

Haha, I think you've probably cited the only example where it's been used appropriately.

I totally agree with you re: football claptrap, btw :P