• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MELBOURNE v NORTH MELBOURNE

alpha33

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cost would be the biggest part.

Not many families would be able to afford going to the airshow, then the next week/week after going to the footy then the GP. GP is fine though, they'll probably just get free tickets.

1 pm game will finish at about 345, thats an hour and a quarter. Storm in a teacup people

You have obviously not been to a Grand Prix Race Before. Before the main race there is always a strong suppt card of Races. People go to the Track early in the morning & Stay all day. Very Few people arrive just before the start. This is not good planning if it is correct. This site will be full of complaints next year when it happens. You wait.

No RR I promise you it is like the MCC Members on Grand Final Day. People go Early

Who cares!! Major over-reaction people!!

You need to lose the victim mentality too. 'Another kick in the guts for the MFC'....... Stop whinging!!

No RR I promise you it is like the MCC Members on Grand Final Day. People go Early

I have been to the GP a couple of times with friends and none of us have not gone for the whole day. Quite the opposite. Never pays to generalise.

Not every spectator is a octane sniffing bogan at GP.

I just wonder how many bogans, I mean spectators we will lose from a game that does not draw big numbers.

Not even a storm in a teacup.

I left it to someone else to start this discussion after seeing this, but didn't expect the original OP to see it in a positive manner.

1pm start. Sunday. Grand Prix at 5pm.

Those are 3 factors that on their own would see a decrease in the crowd.

I'm starting to think the AFL (Andrew Football League) is forcing us out, along with North.

Idiots. And then Andrew comes out and says we have no brand. Well, how about helping us, giving us a Saturday arvo game against a top-drawing club and give us the opportunity to start the year off on a high note (off field), instead of fixturing us against a team that will see a crowd of no more than 30k.

Idiots.

Why not think laterally and instead of fighting this Grand Prix thing, we should get together with the organisers and cross-promote both events with a racing theme for the game, special ticket deals and sponsorships, transport to Albert Park after the game etc.

Don't we have something in common with the Grand Prix? I'm assuming that Ron Walker is still involved with the GP and he is also a Melbourne supporter?

The club could do well out of this situation (and I still haven't given up the Ferrari sponsorship deal as well - it would make a good fit with the Ferrari colours matching our own alternate strip more or less).

The GP may be hot competition on the day for some spectators but seriously, where would you rather be?

The first bounce of a new season on freshly mown turf at the G and a big yell of "C'mon Demons!"

It's as much about the romance of the contest and the optimism we carry as it is about the reality of the result.

Absolutely W_J.

Like it, perhaps as part of the tourists that come down to the race, included in their price can be entry into the footy. We could even petition the AFL to start the game an hour earlier. MFC link with Ferrari, well you know what i mean

I say, to salvage the crowd, we declare the official 'Jeff Kennet is a bastard' game.

He's slagged off at us plenty, and recently let North and the dogs know that the reason they didn't win the premiership was because their staff didn't work hard enough, so the match-up is legit.

Think of the crowd - everyone who's ever been shat on by Jeff Kennett. It would break the home-and-away record at the 'G.

Yes, lets cross promote the Grand Prix and the NM v Melb game. The players can drive in the celebrity race before the Grand Prix, Whilst Webber, Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen & Co. can toss the coin for the start of the AFL game, and officiate the game!

Why not think laterally and instead of fighting this Grand Prix thing, we should get together with the organisers and cross-promote both events with a racing theme for the game, special ticket deals and sponsorships, transport to Albert Park after the game etc.

Don't we have something in common with the Grand Prix? I'm assuming that Ron Walker is still involved with the GP and he is also a Melbourne supporter?

The club could do well out of this situation (and I still haven't given up the Ferrari sponsorship deal as well - it would make a good fit with the Ferrari colours matching our own alternate strip more or less).

A great idea. Ferrari away strip.

No Friday night home game.

8 Sunday home games.

12 Foxtel/10 free to air.

Home games to incl. Crows, PA, Freo and WCE.

Great offering as we search for new major sponsor.

Great for budget revenue from gate, hospitality and merchandise.

Then the bludgers in the Kremlin say that we are a basket case.

Go and list all 22 games and then I'll back you.

Doubting Thomas.

Try this on for size - home games:

Round 1 vs. North at G (Sun 1pm);

R5 vs. Crows at G (Sun 4.40pm);

R6 vs. Geelong at G (Sun 2pm);

R8 vs. Dogs at G (Sat 2pm);

R11 vs. Pies at G (Mon 2pm);

R14 vs. Eagles at G (Sat 2pm);

R15 vs. Port at G (Sun 2pm);

R17 vs. Swans at Manuka (Sun 1pm);

R18 vs. Tigers at G (Sun 1pm);

R20 vs. Freo at G (Sun 1pm);

R22 vs. Saints at G (Sun 2pm);

Doubting Thomas.

Well i hope you are wrong, but somehow i doubt it. That is a very poor Home ground Draw for the G. No Hawks, Bombers or Carltank. Will be hard to draw big crowds with that soft Draw. Reinforces my theory-We gotta start winning with what we have otherwise Draft or no Draft we are dead.

Doubting Thomas.

Thanks!

If true, that is woeful.

Just as bad as last year, in terms of sunday games.

I still hold hold hope that we'll get a friday night home game.

Funny that. Even when Collingwood was woeful a few years ago, it got a decent run with Friday night features the following year. Same with Carlton.

At least no-one can say we're not entitled to massive compensation in the millions for the unfair playing field the AFL presents us with every year.

Funny that. Even when Collingwood was woeful a few years ago, it got a decent run with Friday night features the following year. Same with Carlton.

At least no-one can say we're not entitled to massive compensation in the millions for the unfair playing field the AFL presents us with every year.

Absolutely if the AFL want to dish up that Fixture Rubbish then as far as i am concerned they have a duty to pay up! With that 2009 Fixture it would be a bloody miracle if we get close to breaking even, although that also depends on the MCC Stadium deal which would be my number 1 priority if i was Prez. Time will tell.

Yes they can. Try most of the footy media eg Dwayne Russell, Jake Niall, Greg Denham plus the Presidents of a number of other clubs eg Kennett and Saunders (Crows) plus some who should know better eg Connolly, G Lyon plus many of our supporters including on Demonland who are all too ready to trot out the "welfare", "life-support" and "we must be financially independent of the AFL" garbage.