State your draft preferences

Little Goffy

Welcome to 2008, year of the dwarf. The game is dominated by midfielders. If your midfielders are good, they'll damn sure make your forwards and backmen look good too. There are exceptions of course... Buddy, Scarlett, Watts (hopefully)... but the game is won and lost in the middle. And unfortunately, a few gritty midfielders aside, our midfield is, to use your phrasiology, shizen. We need a serious injection of pace and skill.

Having said that, I expect that 17, 19, and possibly even 35 should all be used on the best player available, no questions asked.

Total agree Diablo, we need some seriously good mids if we're going to continue with "run and carry".

But I really struggle with the term "best available" with early draft picks. Does it mean the player who's certain to be a 150-200 gamer, or the player with the greatest upside and potential to be a star? If you're comparing a mid against a tall at picks 17 and 19, in all likelihood the mid will end up being the 150 gamer, whilst you never know with a tall. The risk factor in drafting a mid is less, and given that we're taking Watts at 1, I really want 2 mids at 17 and 19.

But I really struggle with the term "best available" with early draft picks. Does it mean the player who's certain to be a 150-200 gamer, or the player with the greatest upside and potential to be a star? If you're comparing a mid against a tall at picks 17 and 19, in all likelihood the mid will end up being the 150 gamer, whilst you never know with a tall. The risk factor in drafting a mid is less, and given that we're taking Watts at 1, I really want 2 mids at 17 and 19.

For lack of a better term mo. I can't stand AFL cliches but sadly 'best available' was the only thing that arrived in my mind. I think 'best available' probably accounts for both those 'possible' and 'likely' players, irrespective of position of course, and in the end it comes down to a probability analysis based on whether a player is likely to realise their potential, and for which player the risk vs return tradeoff appears superior. Or something.

I concur with two mids at 17 and 19.

Welcome to 2008, year of the dwarf. The game is dominated by midfielders. If your midfielders are good, they'll damn sure make your forwards and backmen look good too. There are exceptions of course... Buddy, Scarlett, Watts (hopefully)... but the game is won and lost in the middle. And unfortunately, a few gritty midfielders aside, our midfield is, to use your phrasiology, shizen. We need a serious injection of pace and skill.

Having said that, I expect that 17, 19, and possibly even 35 should all be used on the best player available, no questions asked.

We have the most ineffective bunch of talls in the league, this draft is chockablock with talls. Talls take at least an extra year to develop and we're likely to have a fair run at next years draft. Last year we drafted 2 mids in the top 15. Buckley, Jones, Grimes and Morton are all under 21. There's already at least some potential in the midfield, the same can't be said about tall forwards.

Every decision we make needs to be aimed at 2011-2014. I couldn't give a stuff if we get the next 2 spoons as long as we're up and firing then. Roost it gets it. Think long term, next year is irrelevant. Oh, and Roost it I haven't seen much of McNamara but from what I've heard he doesn't play tall. Wheat is 189 and noone would consider him a tall. Frawley is 193cm but hasn't shown anything to suggest he'll wind up a KP, Garland is 191 and can play small or tall. These blokes are in between small and tall and much depends on the way they play. This has been a big problem for us. CAC wouldn't know a KPP from a KRAPP. We have a plethora of 190- 193 cm players that won't develop into the KPP's they were drafted as. Think Dunn, Bate, Frawley etc

We have the most ineffective bunch of talls in the league.

On what do you base this? Our forwards never had a hope because we averaged the fewest inside 50's by a significant margin this season, and were constantly outnumbered when we did kick it to them. And our key defenders in Garland, Warnock and Martin stood up quite well, in the absence of Rivers.

How did you rate Hawthorn's key defenders in Gilham, Brown and Croad at the start of this season.

And your belief that we can afford 2 more seasons on the bottom is utter stupidity. We're currently begging for a $2m financial handout from the AFL, we don't have a major sponsor during a time of economic uncertainty, and you want 2 more seasons like this year. :angry:

Burgatron's phantom draft comes out this afternoon at 2pm, you can rest assured out of the players he mentions at 17 and 19 one of them will be coming to Melbourne. The gyuy knows his stuff.

Burgatron's phantom draft comes out this afternoon at 2pm, you can rest assured out of the players he mentions at 17 and 19 one of them will be coming to Melbourne. The gyuy knows his stuff.

He's not a bloody clairvoyant. He comes close, but in a draft like this I expect anyone to get one wrong & it'll make your whole draft order prediction collapse. & he'll get at least one wrong.

I'll be impressed if he gets more than half the top 20.

On what do you base this? Our forwards never had a hope because we averaged the fewest inside 50's by a significant margin this season, and were constantly outnumbered when we did kick it to them. And our key defenders in Garland, Warnock and Martin stood up quite well, in the absence of Rivers.

How did you rate Hawthorn's key defenders in Gilham, Brown and Croad at the start of this season.

And your belief that we can afford 2 more seasons on the bottom is utter stupidity. We're currently begging for a $2m financial handout from the AFL, we don't have a major sponsor during a time of economic uncertainty, and you want 2 more seasons like this year. :angry:

Spot on.

But is it wanting 2 more seasons like this? or accepting the fact that 2 more seasons like this is realistic?

I, for one, think we'll actually surprise a lot of people with our improvement this year.

I'll probably have egg on my face, but I'm convinced that one of Blease, Sidebottom, Swift, or McKernan will be available at 17. Whoever is the one available out of that quartet I'd take. I reckon McKernan would be too good to pass up even if notionally one would like a mid.

Fwiw, my first round:

1. Melbourne – Jack Watts (VIC)

2. West Coast – Nicholas Naitanui (WA)

3. Fremantle – Daniel Rich (WA)

4. Port Adelaide – Hamish Hartlett (SA)

5. Essendon – Chris Yarran (WA)

6. Carlton – Michael Hurley (VIC)

7. Brisbane – Jack Ziebell (VIC)

8. Richmond – Tyrone Vickery (VIC)

9. North Melbourne – Lewis Johnston (SA)

10. Adelaide – Jackson Trengove (VIC)

11. Collingwood – Stephen Hill (WA)

12. Sydney – Shaun McKernan (VIC)

13. St Kilda – Sam Blease (VIC)

14. Western Bulldogs – Ayce Cordy (VIC)

15. Geelong – Tom Swift (WA)

16. Hawthorn – Phil Davis (SA)

No doubt it's wishful thinking, but I have Sidebottom at 17.

*My assertion of one of the above being available at 17 crumbles if Hawthorn take a mid at 16.

Good post.

I hope your right Hannabal. If you think one of Blease, Sidebottom, McKernan and Swift will be available at 17. I'd certainly be happy with that. Of course your assertion if the Hawks take a mid at 16, is an intersting scenario. I look at Hawthorn and try and see what they will want at 16. Will they need a backman do you think? They're hard to find - Hurley a notable exception. Looking at their midfield, Lewis, Mitchell, Ellis, Young, Hodge (optional mid), with Crawford now retiring the Hawks might focus on the best availbale midfielder.

I agree with most of your selections above. StKilda will be gunning for Blease. My only selection of difference would be Essendon-Carlton. I think essendon will go for Hurley, and Carlton will take Yarran. I think the Bombers will beat the Blues to the punch on Hurley. With Mal Michael gone, and Fletcher coming to the end of his tether, the Bombers will want to shore up their own defence with a Hurley-Ryder combo. Mind you, I think the Blues will be peeved. But Yarran will provide another good forward option with Fevola.

My only selection of difference would be Essendon-Carlton. I think essendon will go for Hurley, and Carlton will take Yarran. I think the Bombers will beat the Blues to the punch on Hurley. With Mal Michael gone, and Fletcher coming to the end of his tether, the Bombers will want to shore up their own defence with a Hurley-Ryder combo. Mind you, I think the Blues will be peeved. But Yarran will provide another good forward option with Fevola.

You think so? I think Hurley will be THE big slider.

He's been great at U/18 level but struggled with guys that match his strength & is not that fast or agile (although i think his deficiencies in this area are overrated).

I could see him almost slipping to us or beyond

Ok heres my final take on what i hope for on Saturday.

Pick 1- Jack Watts

Pick 17- Ryan Shoenmakers

Pick 19- James Strauss

Pick 35- Casey Sibasado

51- Neville Jetta

64- Tom Hill

Where exactly did I say I WANT 2 more years like this one mo. Personally I don't think the AFL will let us die in the next 3 years or so, no real evidence to back it up but I think they'll give Jimma a chance to steady the ship.

I base my opinion of our talls on the 15 or so games I went to last year, where you there? Yes we unearthed some decent tall defenders last year (the one shining light in a dismal year) but right now they've shown some potential, they need to back it up this year before I'd rate any of them ahead of Croad or Brown. Let me ask you do you rate Carroll as a star, he had one decent year too.

Who exactly are these quality KP forwards who never had a chance? Miller? Could of traded him for a pack of chips last year and 99% of posters on here would have been over the moon. Or is it Newton, he's shown plenty hasn't he mo, and you're calling me stupid. Did our rucks impress you mo? I'm struggling to see who all these quality talls on our list are, could you enlighten me?

Every decision we make needs to be aimed at 2011-2014. I couldn't give a stuff if we get the next 2 spoons as long as we're up and firing then. Roost it gets it. Think long term, next year is irrelevant.

Where exactly did I say I WANT 2 more years like this one mo.

Maybe you should read what you post. If you believe that our on-field performance next year is irrelevant, from 2011-2014 you'll be attending home games in West Sydney.

Maybe you should read what you post. If you believe that our on-field performance next year is irrelevant, from 2011-2014 you'll be attending home games in West Sydney.

Get your dictionary out mo. Look up "want". Is the definition "does't care"? No I didn't think so.

I know exactly what I wrote, it's not my fault you can't understand what you read. I'm beginning to understand why you post such drivel

Jack Watts is the man I want at 1..

But I gotta say I'm seriously leaning towards Dayne Beams as a potential pick at 17 or 19..

This guy will be a cult hero at whatever club he goes to, simply because of his "sleeve"

I had a crack at the Phantom Draft at the Mates of Melbourne function and didn't realise until after I put in my entry that I'd left Chris Yarran out of the top ten. From now on, I leave Phantom Drafts to Burgatron (who has changed his mind again apparently) and to the experts on bigfooty.

That won't stop me from making my preferences for the draft as follows:

1. Jack Watts - was in the Rich camp but I've read the tea leaves. It's Jack!

17. Sam Blease - liked the way he ran down players and followed up play when I saw him in the under 18 champs, made goals and set them up for others and I think the red hair will go down well at a club that produced Norm Smith as one of its most famous sons.

19. David Zaharakis - I want another player with pace and good delivery, who can run through the lines, is agile and has leadership credentials. From the Northern Knights so, if nothing else will keep good company with Jack Grimes.

35. Mitch Brown - I was going to go for Ryan Shoenmakers at #19 to shore up our prospects of getting Ferrari to sponsor the club but now that Volvo are on board for another couple of years, I've scrapped the idea. I decided to go for pace at both 17 and 19 so I'm hoping we pick up Mitch Brown to complement pick 1 and give us a double pronged tall man attack in a few year's time.

51. James Strauss - if you watch any of Jack Watts' highlights ask yourself who was it who delivered the ball directly to his chest or in front of his outstretched arms every time he got the pill?

64. This is effectively the pick we gained when CJ walked so I'm speculating on a smokie like Scorpions key defender Alex Silvagni because it would keep him in the fold at Casey Fields and getting a player with that name would really stick it up some of my mates who support Caaarton if he ever came good.

Alternatively, Jordan Dodman, a former basketballer who's about 207 cm and is taller than Robert Warnock, heavier than Robert Warnock, has more hairs on his chest than Robert Warnock, will never appear in crappy video with no production values at all that masquerades as an environmental promotion for some crappy cardboard box company and he doesn't have a brother called "Matthew".

71. PASS

I'm betting here and now that I'll get at least two of these right.

I'll put my two cents in. I am being a bit hopeful with all of these.

1. Jack Watts

A class act, Skills, Pace and Heigt is a good combo.

17. Tom Lynch

a Lynch & Watts partnership would be perfect, Lynch while not as skilled as watts is uncompromising towards the footy and adds a bit of aggression and bite to a team . He would have the ability to run in the midfield as well with top 10 at draft camp for the beep test. I doubt that both Lynch and Blease will be available here, but here's hoping.

19. Sam Blease

Pace is what Blease is all about, and we needs some.

35. James Strauss

As Jack touched on is one of the best kicks in this draft and Burgan has him going Hawthorn at 34. Hopefully they pass him up and he can slip to us at this pick.

51. Rory Sloane

Tough, quick midfielder/defender who has a great work ethic and defensive skills.

64. Jack Redden

Solid Ruck prospect.

71. Pass

Ok heres my final take on what i hope for on Saturday.

Pick 1- Jack Watts

Pick 17- Ryan Shoenmakers

Pick 19- James Strauss

Pick 35- Casey Sibasado

51- Neville Jetta

64- Tom Hill

Not bad Mousey. Schoenmakers went at 16. Sibasado and Hill not picked up. Possible PSD#1.

• 5 years later...

Really interesting reading some of this. Some brilliant calls amongst us, a fair few howlers as well. Not meaning to rake over our past mistakes more to provide us with some perspective on Demonland think and how that translates to the real world. Something to help pass the days until next Thursday.

Some genuine love on here for Sibosado! As there is Sloane. Plenty of love for Rockcliff too.

Enjoy!

Really interesting reading some of this. Some brilliant calls amongst us, a fair few howlers as well. Not meaning to rake over our past mistakes more to provide us with some perspective on Demonland think and how that translates to the real world. Something to help pass the days until next Thursday.

Some genuine love on here for Sibosado! As there is Sloane. Plenty of love for Rockcliff too.

Enjoy!

Nice work Fork.

Some may wish to delete some of those posts.

• Like 1

I really think we need mids and small forwards. Happy to take a punt on a ruckman and rebounding defender in the rookie draft too.

Here are my picks:

1. Steele Sidebottom

17. Dayne Beams

19. Daniel Hannebery

35. Rory Sloane

51. Michael Walters

64. Tom Rockliff

PSD1: Luke Breust

RD1: Jarryd Blair

RD17: Sam Jacobs

RD33: Matthew Suckling

I would be stoked if we got these players!

• Like 1