2008 Player Review - # 39 Austin Wonaeamirri

Demonland

39. Austin Wonaeamirri [176cm 76kg 02.10.88 18 games 24 goals] - selected by Melbourne in the 2008 Rookie Draft fresh from the Tiwi Bombers team in the Northern Territory, Wonaeamirri created a big splash early in the season when elevated from rookie status and given a senior game as a long term injury replacement.

He immediately added some much needed spark and enthusiasm to the Demon forward line and his crumbing work took him to second on the club's goal kicking although his output declined late in the season.

It will be interesting to see how he goes with a full pre season under his belt.

The case for Wonna' is about value added. My kids are still fighting over who saw him first and who gets to wear his number. The best two bits of recorded Demons in 2008 were the little fella's springing scissor jumps in front of the goal-square faithful and Jimmy hugging Wonna's dad after we chalked up a rare win. Wonaeamirri did tail-off, but that was under the weight of carrying the spirit of the team and its long-suffering supporters across the abyss that was the year that wasn't! Can't wait to see him develop further in 2009.

I reckon Davey and Wonaeamirri complement each other really well.

The image of Davey and Aussie kicking 7 goals between them in the Freo comeback was truly inspiring, awesome and a duo that could wreak havoc in games next year.

This is one of the reasons why I refuse to entertain the thought of trading Davey.

Aussie's output decreased significantly when Davey was out of the lineup.

The games we got spanked where when Davey, Aussie or both were absent...ie Richmond game.

It will be interesting to see how he goes with a full pre season under his belt.

Hopefully he comes back to pre season training in good nick, and is a well oiled running machine, with a fairly good motor for the start of the 2009 season.

39. Austin Wonaeamirri [176cm 76kg 02.10.88 18 games 24 goals] - selected by Melbourne in the 2008 Rookie Draft fresh from the Tiwi Bombers team in the Northern Territory, Wonaeamirri created a big splash early in the season when elevated from rookie status and given a senior game as a long term injury replacement.

He immediately added some much needed spark and enthusiasm to the Demon forward line and his crumbing work took him to second on the club's goal kicking although his output declined late in the season.

I think he has had his 15 minutes of fame. Excellent first half doz games; but a very (consistently) poor 2nd half of the season is not a good omen for 2009.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he will disappear without trace.

I think he has had his 15 minutes of fame. Excellent first half doz games; but a very (consistently) poor 2nd half of the season is not a good omen for 2009.

im not going to argue with you there. HOWEVER, it also wouldnt surprise me if he was successful.

he doesnt have the speed, or the spark or some of the abilities of others. but what he did have was an uncanny knack for the goals, and he seemed to read it alright off the pack.

he needs to chip in for 1-2 every week and he has done his job.

PS that being said im certainly not writing him off, it just wouldnt surprise me if he fails to live up to the hype and just becomes a solid small forward. and it wouldnt surprise me if there was only room for 2 of davey, wonna and maric in the team in the future.

I think ol Aussie suddenly found himslef in a spotlight he wasnt prepared for..and it got a little hot for him. Another preseason..a bit more settled..and more confident will see him a big improver I feel in 09. I liek his work ethic..its no nonsense. Yes he enjoys a goal, but he puts a lot of work in around the ground. He just needs to make more of the effectiveness of this.

I look forward to watching him in 09 :)

I think he did very well and he has a challenge ahead next year because he wont fly under the radar of oppositions.

Needs to get a good pre season under his belt, gain fitness and lose some weight and make the most of his opportunities.

Question what the future holds for him as he lacks a trump card skill to make a future out of a forward pocket role.

Good luck to him though.

I think that Aussie performed above anyone's expectations of him this year. I remember Hannabal pulling out comparisons with cyrol rioli through the year and aussie was doing as well or better IN THE WORST TEAM IN THE COMP!

Let's hope that the little nugget can get fitter and find a few more tricks and continue his progress. On the evidence so far he looks far more promising than anyone had hoped.

Had a fantastic debut season, with an incredible accurate kick and goal sense he looks to be a solid return for Melbourne and hopefully will continue to improve.

Wonna did drop off towards the end of the year (which is understandble for a kid) especially as opposition took notice of him.

mate no offence but u are seriously a twitt! saying his 2nd half is not a good omen for 2009? ffs the kid is 19 and NO ONE! expected for him to play one game this year.

its a normal thing for young kids especially since he has had to travel a fair bit to get to where he is now to drop off towards the end of the year

sorry but i dont agree one bit of your argument.

Got to agree with most

needs to work harder on his weaknesses

this is the highest level football code and not the bush

reminds me so much of derek kicket who IMO didnt reach his potential

Really likeable kid with it all in front of him

like Nathan Jones he has to learn to deal with being tagged