2008 Player Review - #4 Ben Holland

Demonland

4. Ben Holland [197cm 100kg 05.10.77 - 191 games (2 in 2008), 179 goals (4 in 2008)] - once the dust settled and the decision was made that the emphasis was going to be on youth, youth and more youth, there wasn't much room for a slow 30 year old workhorse who was carrying injuries for a fair part of the season.

His season was also marred with controversy. Firstly, over a pay dispute with his previous club Richmond, then over when and whether he would be fit enough to return to playing duty and finally, over an incident involving teammate Nathan Carroll which has left the latter's future up in the air.

Retired at season's end.

I liked ol' Clogs !! Not the best player by a long shot.. but an honest player who I thought used what he had very well. Many others could take a leaf out of his book come the attack on the play and the perseverence even when things looked bleak.

As mentioned his tenure was doomed by the new outlook at the club and the reality is that this is probably a correct summation of Benny's situaton re Melbourne. He was entertaining if frustrating at times..lol. A battler more than clasically skilled he gave some clam to the defence in our many days of panic.

I wish Benny good luck in his future endeavours

Great bloke, great endeavour, and beat Rocca. What else do you want?

Thanks Benny.

Yep :) Probably the only bloke we had for a while that could physically contain some people.. especially sweet agaisnt the filth though :D ;)

Surprisingly effective in final two seasons (when given the opportunity). Sometimes dropped when, by no means worst contributor for the round. One player who could have input forward or back in the same game. A very strong mark, intelligent forward tap ruckman, and everything everyone else has said in this post to date. Obviously a good bloke to have around a club. Good luck with the next stage Benny!

Guest jackas_backa

He may be a gentleman, a workhorse, a never-say-die type of guy who sues football clubs. But there is little doubt he is possibly the worst player ever to last 10 years (?) in the AFL. He was very very lucky by circumstance, and was grossly over rewarded for his efforts.

Good luck in the future Dutchy (with those writs). :lol:

One of several players who the game went past once the pace increased tenfold.

I have a few Richmond mates that would disagree with you on this. They'll say the game past him on debut. But I won't debate it.

Big Benny. Reminds me alot of "I am Robot". Cheers Benny. Good luck with Clinton Casey!

Thought he stayed around a bit longer than he should have but played a few good games for the club.

That's probably true of about half-a-dozen players on our list this year, and about 15 at the end of last year. As of round 22 last year we needed to get rid of a dozen players. Unfortunately if we had, we'd have been left with well under the minimum amount of players required on an AFL list. I was always glad Big Bad Benny was retained for one more year as there were heaps of others that needed to go before him. It was reflective of his dedicated service and honesty as a player. He didn't get to do much, but then who were we supposed to keep? Ward?

. . . who were we supposed to keep? Ward?

Nathan Brown. I was filthy at his "retirement." Always one of my favourite players. He had some great running ability and attracted a lot of the ball. Not to say he'd still be here now, but I thought he had at least another year in him.

Nathan Brown. I was filthy at his "retirement." Always one of my favourite players. He had some great running ability and attracted a lot of the ball. Not to say he'd still be here now, but I thought he had at least another year in him.

I stated this earlier in the year, but I got flamed for it just because he's a little bit older than 25. Had a solid end to 2007, and still had good football left in him. And he made less mistakes than Ward!

I wonder if he retired voluntarily, or he was made to retire?

Guest Colossus_2000

It was always Doggy's decision to retire. Not many people know, but he spent up to an hour after every match in the ice baths because of his legs. He's leg issues were much worse than Cam Bruce's current ones, he often performed poorly at the first training session of every week because he was still sore from the weekend's game. He made the choice so he could spend some time with his family while he could still walk.

Dutchy was not a fantastic footballer, but he was a champion on that field. He gave it his all, and if a few of the younger blokes could take a leaf out of his book, we would be a much better team for it.

It was always Doggy's decision to retire. Not many people know, but he spent up to an hour after every match in the ice baths because of his legs. He's leg issues were much worse than Cam Bruce's current ones, he often performed poorly at the first training session of every week because he was still sore from the weekend's game. He made the choice so he could spend some time with his family while he could still walk.

Dutchy was not a fantastic footballer, but he was a champion on that field. He gave it his all, and if a few of the younger blokes could take a leaf out of his book, we would be a much better team for it.

Thanks for that. I had no idea. It just goes to show that even with the Fevolas, Carrolls, Cousins' and Gardners going around giving the game a bad name, there are tough. honest blokes trying their guts out every day just to get a game. Footy players who can get the most out of what they've got may not win a Premiership, but they will never lose the respect or admiration of their peers and supporters.

4. Ben Holland [197cm 100kg 05.10.77 - 191 games (2 in 2008), 179 goals (4 in 2008)] - once the dust settled and the decision was made that the emphasis was going to be on youth, youth and more youth, there wasn't much room for a slow 30 year old workhorse who was carrying injuries for a fair part of the season.

His season was also marred with controversy. Firstly, over a pay dispute with his previous club Richmond, then over when and whether he would be fit enough to return to playing duty and finally, over an incident involving teammate Nathan Carroll which has left the latter's future up in the air.

Retired at season's end.

Why bother with a (year) review?? Waste of time.