Adam Thomson

Apocalypse XXXI

An in and under player with a lot of potential. Port fans were rope-able at the amount of limited opportunities he was given by Choco.

I remember first seeing him play against the dee's three years ago and he was really good around the clearances.

Bailey should know a lot about him so it will interesting to see how much he rates him.

We need some in & under players to replace the out & over players

Here is a list of our in and under players already on our list

Brock

Jones

McDonald

Valenti

Moloney

Grimes???

The players we have gotten rid of are not our in and under players. The only one with age not thier side in this list is McDonald, who could be easliy replaced in a draft. We have told the outside recievers (White and Yze) to retire/move on and to replace them we have

Buckley

Morton

Wheatley

Sylvia

Pettard

Maric

Davey

C Johnson

A Thompson No thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Port Adelaide's Adam Thomson could be on the market.

I normally wouldn't post about such a thing but I seem to remember reading somewhere that we were interested in him before he was drafted.

Any interest?

Good get. It seems that Thomson wants out of Port Adelaide and with the Dean Bailey connection, it will be interesting to see what happens (although the Warnock and Judd connections didn't help). Is he really slow?

Guest paxino27

If we were to get a midfielder through the trade I'd rather someone with some pace like say a Kane Tenace from Geelong who's had limited games in the past two years. Think they need to focus more on the ruck and tall forwards.

If he came at the right price.. might be an interesting pickup...or trade. Limited opportunites may be the reason he isnt shining yet ?

If we were to get a midfielder through the trade I'd rather someone with some pace like say a Kane Tenace from Geelong who's had limited games in the past two years. Think they need to focus more on the ruck and tall forwards.

Tenace? He never got a game cos he's fast and thats about it. And he's not even really that fast.

The bloke doesn't know how to use the footy.

For anyone thats interested, here's Colin Wisbey's draft profile of the player

---------------------------

Adam Thomson (Sturt)

183/82 mid-age right foot (has other foot if nec).

*STYLE LIKE: Fairly pacy version of Simon Black

*TRADEMARK:

- Clean hands get under great pressure inside traffic then lightning, often look-away, feed straight to team mate in the clear.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Is defined by his ability inside traffic. Brilliant. Great hands - getting & delivering, typically inside traffic under great pressure, often look-away. Extremely clean, reliable & creative. Very rarely gets impeded from delivering an accurate feed. A Simon Black type with similar efficiency, more pace. The best hands, vision, decision-making and efficiency in-close that I have seen in the past few years.

- I rate him very highly. In fact I have him at 8. He won't go that early but I expect him to go around early 2nd round. Definite AFL. If I had any pick after #7 I would take him with it ... in a heartbeat.

*HURT FACTOR (Offensive/Defensive/Negative):

- All excellent.

*DISPOSAL:

- Very high Hurt Factor, especially by hand.

- Predominantly feeds.

- Brilliant by hand - extremely quick, accurate and displays incredible vision. Dynamite. Also master of the accurate look-away feed.

- Kicking is also quite reliable although not in the same league as his feeds

- Good power and depth in his kicks.

- Kicking style is reasonable, although he tends to fall back a fair way when he kicks. Fairly economical action.

- Not a noted goalkicker but is reasonably reliable at goal without being a sure thing.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Terrific inside traffic, especially centre bounce, even under the greatest of pressure. Clean to get, quick, clean, reliable and creative to feed off. Exceptional "6th sense" vision and quick decision-making response to same. In short, extremely efficiently creative.

- Excellent poise. "Always" looks for an option.

- Reads both play and ball very well. Roves the ruck contest and the spill well.

- Officially only credited with only 3 HBGs for the entire U18 Champs but, by my definition of HBG being a possession gained under great pressure, a very high percentage of his possessions are HBG.

- Very unselfish Occasionally too much so, looking for a team mate when he might be better advised to carry the ball or shoot for goal himself.

- Never seems to lose his cool. Is controlled, no-fuss professional.

*HANDS:

- Very clean, all levels. Shines under great pressure and inside congestion.

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Not a feature of his game but he is reliable and has good judgement. U18 Champs stats have him at no contested marks out of 11 but that stat is not representative. He can be relied upon to take at least a 50/50 contested mark.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Good pace, although he seldom uses it and is not super quick. Not a noted ball carrier.

- Very agile.

- Covers plenty of ground yet doesn't look peak fit, just looking at his body. I suspect he has a fair bit of scope to harden his body and lift his fitness even further, perhaps even improving his already fairly good speed a bit in the process. Nevertheless he runs a game right out.

- Good recovery agility.

- Good reflexes.

- Very good balance. When tackled, keeps his arms free and keeps his feet. Rides a bump well.

- Evasion is good although he feeds off so quickly and doesn't often try to carry the ball, so it isn't on show very often.

- Displays a huge unaided leap on occasions.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Covers a lot of ground and at good energy.

- Attacks both man and ball well.

- Fierce and effective tackler. Does often tend to throw himself to the ground with the tackle though. Does quite a few smothers.

- Although first and foremost a play-creator, he is also very good defensively within traffic, especially centre bounce, often stifling an opponent's attempted clearance. I don't have a handle on his accountability in a flank role but he is certainly accountable to the nearest opponent.

- Does the 1%ers eg will run in from 15m away to lay a very physical block.

- Courageous.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Very consistent, both game to game and within a game.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Is a natural inside onballer, with better pace than those types usually have, so you would want to make the most of his attributes in that role. I think he can even play that role in his first year. He is gifted in that role. Other than that, could play anywhere down the flanks. Could potentially be a good AFL BP but you would lose the benefit of his superior prime attributes if you didn't play him onball.

*SCI (SCOPE FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT):

- Normal.

*QUERY:

- Nothing of significance.

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '04 U18 Champs:

Averaged 16 disposals and 3.7 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 19).

Kicks to feeds: 18-29 (1:1.6).

Kicks long vs short: 9-4 (2.3:1).

Kicking accuracy: 5/18 ineffective incl 3 clangers.

Handball accuracy: 2/29 ineffective incl 0 clangers.

Total accuracy: 7/47 ineffective incl 3 clangers.

Gets own ball?: 20/47TD were HR. 3 HBG.

S.P. clearances: 8 incl 7 BU incl 6 CBC.

Tackles: 6

Marking: 0 of 11 were contested.

*OTHER STUFF:

- Reserves '04.

- Had been listed as 180/78 but '04 DC measured 183/82

For anyone thats interested, here's Colin Wisbey's draft profile of the player

---------------------------

Adam Thomson (Sturt)

Doesn't mention any defficiencies at all, sounds like a hell of a lot of hype. 'Simon Black but faster' ???

Still, worth a punt i think. Maybe PSD pick 1 if we can't get Warnock? Don't really want to trade a pick for him, especially since Port sound like they'll want a fair bit

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I believe he still has a year left on his contract, but has asked to be traded, meaning he wont walk into PSD? Not 100% sure, but I thought I read that recently...

Anyone know his contract status?

Could be a decent get, as he has talent and is young.

Guest paxino27

I still reckon we've got enough midfielders unless we trade a few out which is always possible.... Otherwise I'd have thought we have enough midfielders in spades, just a question on whether or not they can end up developing.

I still reckon we've got enough midfielders unless we trade a few out which is always possible.... Otherwise I'd have thought we have enough midfielders in spades, just a question on whether or not they can end up developing.

I doubt Green will still be around, even disregarding what I've heard.

The fact he hasn't signed a new contract probably indicates that either he or the club are getting poised to make a move. Or both.

Otherwise it'd have been cleared up a while ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I believe he still has a year left on his contract, but has asked to be traded, meaning he wont walk into PSD? Not 100% sure, but I thought I read that recently...

Anyone know his contract status?

Could be a decent get, as he has talent and is young.

In the age they wrote that he was uncontracted. I'd be interested in him. Only 21 and I'm only convinced that McLean will be a long term midfielder for us. McDonald only has 1 year left and Jones, Moloney, Sylvia and Valenti all have questions marks on them.