• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

why i worry over watts

Yencks

this may sound pretentious but i am a little worried about the club taking watts with their number 1 pick

this is why:

as we all know, watts has a very light frame and as he is being trained to become a key position prospect down the track, it is going to take at least three or four years for him to start to find his way in the AFL

i have seen some footage and have seen him play live once, and although he does have a few tricks up his sleeve...good contested mark, nice kick...he is going to take awhile and probably wont play much senior footy at all next year

here is the problem...when, in recent times, have we seen a number 1 pick that hasent played much footy in their fisrt couple of years?

i am not worried about this, but if rich and natanui and vickery and lynch etc start running amock in the AFL in their first couple of years, and all the melbourne fans are impatiently waiting for a kid with potential playing the twos...people will start to get very angry and start to think that it was a waste of a number 1 pick

again, i would not be worried personally but i think there would be a lot of ignorant supporters that would have a big whinge and i really dont think the club can afford having people whinge at the moment

this all sounds very fickle...but i am going by what i have heard this year...i have heard many melbourne supporters [censored] about us taking morton above rioli and palmer, even though i thought that it was pretty obvious that morton has a lot more future upside

i just dont think that the club can afford to [censored] people off over the next 3 or 4 years...especially at a time when they are pretty much asking for charity

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this may sound pretentious but i am a little worried about the club taking watts with their number 1 pick

this is why:

as we all know, watts has a very light frame and as he is being trained to become a key position prospect down the track, it is going to take at least three or four years for him to start to find his way in the AFL

i have seen some footage and have seen him play live once, and although he does have a few tricks up his sleeve...good contested mark, nice kick...he is going to take awhile and probably wont play much senior footy at all next year

here is the problem...when, in recent times, have we seen a number 1 pick that hasent played much footy in their fisrt couple of years?

i am not worried about this, but if rich and natanui and vickery and lynch etc start running amock in the AFL in their first couple of years, and all the melbourne fans are impatiently waiting for a kid with potential playing the twos...people will start to get very angry and start to think that it was a waste of a number 1 pick

again, i would not be worried personally but i think there would be a lot of ignorant supporters that would have a big whinge and i really dont think the club can afford having people whinge at the moment

this all sounds very fickle...but i am going by what i have heard this year...i have heard many melbourne supporters [censored] about us taking morton above rioli and palmer, even though i thought that it was pretty obvious that morton has a lot more future upside

i just dont think that the club can afford to [censored] people off over the next 3 or 4 years...especially at a time when they are pretty much asking for charity

Apparently Watts will not be available to play at all in 2009 - will only play school footy. Go figure. Why enter the draft at all; why not wait til 09?

On this basis alone, I wouldn't touch him. [censored]!

Apparently Watts will not be available to play at all in 2009 - will only play school footy. Go figure. Why enter the draft at all; why not wait til 09?

On this basis alone, I wouldn't touch him. [censored]!

He didn't say he would only play school footy next year... he just said he'd be going to school (year 12) next year in Melbourne.

there are many players who do this during there first season, including our own Addam Maric. Xavier Ellis and Luke Ball are 2 other top 3 picks who played some school footy and a couple of seniour games in their first year despite being top 3 picks.

I would take Watts because:

- Rich, Naitanui and Watts are the 3 standouts. it is arguable who is better

- from what i've seen of Watts he looks a superstar in the making. its hard to believe he's a full year younger than everybody else

- we need a key forward sooooo badly. imagine if he's the next reiwold.

regardless, i will trust our recruiters. Because they, unlike me, have been watching these guyz week in week out for 4 years (not just a youtube highlights package)

What a thread. The opening post had a blatant contradiction and some replies were pure rubbish.

The kid is 17, he is a CHF, and who gives a flying firetruck if he isn't available to play much until he is 19. We are the worst team in the comp, we can wait for him to become a gun.

By the way, picking someone because it will keep the fans from whingeing is a ridiculous idea.

Just delete the thread already, save some embarrassment.

I lean toward Watts myself.

Realistically though whoever the recruiters choose, because of the qualities of Rich Watts and Natanui, there are bound to be "WTF we didn't pick him :huh:" moments.

Whatever happens its going to be exciting to see whose new in the red and blue.

Guest Golgothan

You're right, it did sound pretentious.

The current player Watts is compared to most is Riewoldt, they are very similar if you compare them at a similar age. Riewoldt played 6 games in his first year for a pretty modest return. The next year he started to dominate and won the rising star.

He might be skinny, but he's no Cale Morton. It won't take him too long for him to put on a bit of bulk, he has the frame for it and just needs time to build it up.

I'd expect to see maybe a handleful of games from him late next year and then him to become a regular player the following year. You'll find that most people are reasonable about their expectations and they'd be more then happy if he came on as quickly as i've mentioned above.

He didn't say he would only play school footy next year... he just said he'd be going to school (year 12) next year in Melbourne.

there are many players who do this during there first season, including our own Addam Maric. Xavier Ellis and Luke Ball are 2 other top 3 picks who played some school footy and a couple of seniour games in their first year despite being top 3 picks.

I would take Watts because:

- Rich, Naitanui and Watts are the 3 standouts. it is arguable who is better

- from what i've seen of Watts he looks a superstar in the making. its hard to believe he's a full year younger than everybody else

- we need a key forward sooooo badly. imagine if he's the next reiwold.

regardless, i will trust our recruiters. Because they, unlike me, have been watching these guyz week in week out for 4 years (not just a youtube highlights package)

xavier ellis did not play any games at all the year after he was drafted and pretty much concentrated solely on school football and his studies

in reply to others, i said that i know i am sounding prenentious

but i worry about the "why the fu** didnt we take this person" moments

and they always say you should never take a top 10 pick on a needs basis, rather best available and i (someone on the outer who does not see them play live everyweek) do not think watts is the best available

i hope i am proved wrong

this is why:

Lucky enough to see some greats of the game play their first game (season)

Most had one thing in common

they were all built like matchsticks

I wouldnt be too concerned about Watts as he has the basics (kicking marking etc) better than some of our current squad

You're right, it did sound pretentious.

The current player Watts is compared to most is Riewoldt, they are very similar if you compare them at a similar age. Riewoldt played 6 games in his first year for a pretty modest return. The next year he started to dominate and won the rising star.

He might be skinny, but he's no Cale Morton. It won't take him too long for him to put on a bit of bulk, he has the frame for it and just needs time to build it up.

I'd expect to see maybe a handleful of games from him late next year and then him to become a regular player the following year. You'll find that most people are reasonable about their expectations and they'd be more then happy if he came on as quickly as i've mentioned above.

The Watts/Riewoldt comparison seems fair on many levels, both athletic and can take a grab. Part of what makes Riewoldt so good is that he is an aerobic freak and can work his opponents into the ground. We have heard Watts is great over the 20m so he will do well on the lead but what about his abilty to work around the ground and use his motor to his advantage? Any comparison to Riewoldt should consider this.

The good key forwards can also play well up the ground such as Riewoldt, Pav Brown...It was heartening to hear he played well on the ball a few weeks back in the TAC. Does anyone know what he does on the beep test? Or will we have to wait till the draft camp?

I understand ur concerns..

But all these will be, and have been taken into consideration, Watts has a HUGE up side, and will take a few years, but boy, the benefits are huge!

Watts WILL be a demon, so relax, and enjoy the development! all the wraps are good, so im sure He'll be a vital part of our future, just as long as we give him time, no early knockers PLEASE!!

Morton is going to be a gun- best endurance athlete at the club, and will develop- better thaan Mitch and Jarryd at this age. He has smarts, and you can tell is going to be good.

Watts is pretty much coming to Melbourne. My mum knows his mum, and his management have been speaking with the club and he wants to come to us, the Club want him, it's almost a done deal...unless something majorly disastrous were to happen between now and draft day

After the Melbourne Grammar v Brighton grammar match, i was out with a few of his mates, and this was when everyone was questioning whether he'd even nominate for the draft because he didn't want to go interstate they said "he's definitly nominating don't worry, and the dees have already said they'd take him whateever pick"

The good key forwards can also play well up the ground such as Riewoldt, Pav Brown...It was heartening to hear he played well on the ball a few weeks back in the TAC. Does anyone know what he does on the beep test? Or will we have to wait till the draft camp?

Considering he's barely touched TAC cup footy I'd suggest his fitness would be a long way off where it could be as well

I think there's a level of understanding with fans and commentators regards talls taking longer to develop.

I imagine many fans would compare Morton to Palmer in an 'apples for apples' sense. This is unlikely to happen with Rich and Watts.

Watts concentrating on school in 2009 could be a good thing.

Clearly he doesn't have the frame to have an immediate impact next year, however as he would be at school he could dedicate more time to developing a frame that could cope with the vigours fo AFL.

i don't understand how Morton was classified as having elite kicking skills. People will say that the increased pressure of afl has caused his kicking to go off centre etc, but his kicking action is not great with too much air time when the ball drops from his hand to his boot. I doubt that his kicking ever was goddard-like in the u18's. Personally i think we should be targetting Jordan Lisle with our pick 17 or 19. He is 196cm and actually has decent foot skills. We cannot afford to have anyone with sub-par foot skills.

i don't understand how Morton was classified as having elite kicking skills. People will say that the increased pressure of afl has caused his kicking to go off centre etc, but his kicking action is not great with too much air time when the ball drops from his hand to his boot. I doubt that his kicking ever was goddard-like in the u18's. Personally i think we should be targetting Jordan Lisle with our pick 17 or 19. He is 196cm and actually has decent foot skills. We cannot afford to have anyone with sub-par foot skills.

So True.

Cameron didn’t seem to identify with this theory but hopefully Prendergast will.

I know for a fact Chris Phelcan of Hawthorn puts a line through any potential AFL footballer that can not kick, hence one of the reasons why their current list hits targets.