why i worry over watts

Yencks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So True.

Cameron didn’t seem to identify with this theory but hopefully Prendergast will.

I know for a fact Chris Phelcan of Hawthorn puts a line through any potential AFL footballer that can not kick, hence one of the reasons why their current list hits targets.

Jones, Bartram, Bate, Frawley all terrible kicks.

i don't understand how Morton was classified as having elite kicking skills. People will say that the increased pressure of afl has caused his kicking to go off centre etc, but his kicking action is not great with too much air time when the ball drops from his hand to his boot. I doubt that his kicking ever was goddard-like in the u18's. Personally i think we should be targetting Jordan Lisle with our pick 17 or 19. He is 196cm and actually has decent foot skills. We cannot afford to have anyone with sub-par foot skills.

Tom Swift we be a gun late pick

Why would we want yet another CHB, Freak?

i don't think he would have to be a chb. I think he is so versatile and such are his footskills that he could potentially play midfield. Pretty good for a 196cm, because he only looks about 185cm when playing.

i don't understand how Morton was classified as having elite kicking skills. People will say that the increased pressure of afl has caused his kicking to go off centre etc, but his kicking action is not great with too much air time when the ball drops from his hand to his boot. I doubt that his kicking ever was goddard-like in the u18's.

Last night I sat up and re-watched the WA v Vic Metro game from 07. Wanted to get another look at Rich and Naitanui as well as Grimes, Morton and Maric.

Morton's kicking was phenomenal in this game. Laser like over 45-50 metres. It was truly freakish. Not quite in the Rich classof kicking, but didn't look far off.

Don't know what happened over the course of the season, but he has the vision and ability. I don't know what happened over the course of the season (I recall him kicking well early in the season), but he has the vision and ability, he needs to find the confidence.

I agree with you Freak that Lisle should be our aim with pick 17 or 19. Dont think we'd need/want him to play midfield, but I guess it's a possibility as a last resort.

We'd want him up forward where we lack at the moment.

If we could pick up

Pick #1 - J. Watts

Pick #17 - D. Zaharakis/S. Blease

Pick #19 - J. Lisle

PSD#1 or possibly Pick 35 - R. Warnock

We will have done very well.

We will have picked up a young ruckman who has already had a few years to develop abit, an extremely talented and athletic tall, a midfielder with good pace and skills, and another good tall who has played both forward and back, but we'd want him up forward.

Also, Mortons kicking isnt an issue. It was elite at under-age level. And I mean elite. He would regularly ram the ball down the throat of leading players 55 metres away.

What happened this year is that he put on roughly 10kgs in 6-8 months, and so his body has changed and he is still getting used to it. Coupled with being a guy who turned 18 earlier this year and is skinny due to his height and age, playing his first year at AFL senior level against men who have been playing for years and have harder bodies.....well I dont have to explain that his confidence wouldnt be the greatest yet. Especially playing in a team getting routinely smashed. Also moving interstate and adjusting to an entirely new life will take time to get used to.

I know him through a friend though, and he is settling in fine and is enjoying Melbourne after initially finding it to be a very busy place!

He will be fine with time, and definitely one of the best players from his draft. We have an exciting young midfielder on our hands >:D

I spoke to a mate who knows his stuff.... has been watching all the national championships (as i do also) as well as lots of under 18 action.

And he reckons that Watts looks like an absolute farkin superstar. Moves so well, evasive like a midfielder, clean strong mark, kicks goals.

We were discussing the comparison between Gumbleton and Hansen last year at the same stage of development, and he reckons that Watts is definitely ahead of both of them.

Now consider that he is 17, in year 11, 194cm tall and a CHF/FF which is what we are dying out for.

It's not rocket science... we should take him.

The only reason we will take NikNat or Rich is if we rate them waaaayyyy ahead of Watts (which i highly doubt.)

What happened this year is that he put on roughly 10kgs in 6-8 months, and so his body has changed and he is still getting used to it.

He's put on 10kg; man alive, he must have been an absolute stick-figure beforehand.

I'm glad that i'm not the recruiting staff, the decision will be very tough indeed.

Our PP and 2nd pick for mine would be Johnston (should he fall that far) and Blease.

Our first is a doozy. Watts or Rich :wacko:

Either way, if we go for one, then next year we will be going for the other type of player.

I'm inclined to go for Rich this year, and draft Butcher next year, who is said to be a very good KPF and just as good, if not better than Watts.

But either way, i'd be very happy should we get Watts/Rich, Johnston and Blease in this draft.

I'm glad that i'm not the recruiting staff, the decision will be very tough indeed.

Our PP and 2nd pick for mine would be Johnston (should he fall that far) and Blease.

Our first is a doozy. Watts or Rich :wacko:

Either way, if we go for one, then next year we will be going for the other type of player.

I'm inclined to go for Rich this year, and draft Butcher next year, who is said to be a very good KPF and just as good, if not better than Watts.

But either way, i'd be very happy should we get Watts/Rich, Johnston and Blease in this draft.

Tom Scully looks like a terrific midfield prospect for next years draft. I'm leaning toward Watt's now, Scully next year (or if the seasons painful enough Scully/ Butcher combo). Anyone know anything about Steven May from NT? Indigenous CHF with big raps who could be a high pick next year.

I spoke to a mate who knows his stuff.... has been watching all the national championships (as i do also) as well as lots of under 18 action.

And he reckons that Watts looks like an absolute farkin superstar. Moves so well, evasive like a midfielder, clean strong mark, kicks goals.

We were discussing the comparison between Gumbleton and Hansen last year at the same stage of development, and he reckons that Watts is definitely ahead of both of them.

Now consider that he is 17, in year 11, 194cm tall and a CHF/FF which is what we are dying out for.

It's not rocket science... we should take him.

The only reason we will take NikNat or Rich is if we rate them waaaayyyy ahead of Watts (which i highly doubt.)

194cm and still growing. ;)

The people they'd interviewed that seem to know a lot about him reckon he'll get to about 196/197 (like both Gumby and Hansen grew 2 or 3cm after being drafted)

EDIT: Steven May (in reply to previous post asking about him)

i know him

im at school with him now

absolute champion...only in year 10

i have seen him play about 15 games live and if he was in this years draft, i would want him with pick number 1

great kick, great lead, great mark and played a huge part in the biggest match of the school boy year...i think he kicked 4 and it was at the G and two goals were from 50 out and he didnt look lost on the big ground

i will try to get some footage from school but i spoke to the coach of the first 18 and he has a feeling may will be better than watts...he just has that grit about him

he is doing better now at school boy level than hawkins did...and believe me, hawkins was a freak back then

i know him

im at school with him now

absolute champion...only in year 10

i have seen him play about 15 games live and if he was in this years draft, i would want him with pick number 1

great kick, great lead, great mark and played a huge part in the biggest match of the school boy year...i think he kicked 4 and it was at the G and two goals were from 50 out and he didnt look lost on the big ground

i will try to get some footage from school but i spoke to the coach of the first 18 and he has a feeling may will be better than watts...he just has that grit about him

he is doing better now at school boy level than hawkins did...and believe me, hawkins was a freak at school boy level

Who are you talking about here?

Steven May

I'am at school with nugget, we're in yr 12 and its depressing the way stevie may plays his footy. absolute freak, would take him number 1 in a heartbeat. shame he'll probably be lured to the gold coast cos has two more yrs playing under 18's.

Steven May

I'am at school with nugget, we're in yr 12 and its depressing the way stevie may plays his footy. absolute freak, would take him number 1 in a heartbeat. shame he'll probably be lured to the gold coast cos has two more yrs playing under 18's.

Thanks for the heads up lads.

So he definately can't sneak into the 09 draft as a bottom ager?