Schwabby new CEO

M_9

Guest Golgothan
No he wasn't.

What official positions and when has Schwab held at melbourne? I know he's had a few since starting in the early 80's and has had a stint at Richmond before going to freo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very disappointed when Schwabby previously left Melbourne, and I'm absolutely delighted to welcome him back. Those who are currently critical of his appointment will be singing his praises in years to come.

Guest skipper3

Gee people - we do need to stick together on this!! Yes, he was at the club years back - but, that was bloody years ago!! God sakes, forget about the merger - he was the CEO - not on the board.

Who cares who are his mates. IF he was the best man for the job (i rekon he was) - thats end of story!! He turned Freo around off the field (he wasnt the coach remember!!!) Look where they were when he joined them & look at where they are now (off field)

Fox isnt leaving Geelong.

Get behind the club people!!! We do not need anyone who is going to rock the boat - if we dont get it right, we are gone!!

Check your egos at the door - everyone!!!

Well..im very reticent to say halelujah..thankfully an appointment. I hope this one truly works out but I really have to wonder about the process and vested interests etc :huh:

Something about all this that just aint kosher !! <_<

Something changed his mind...I wonder what it was? Hmmm. <_<

Amen.....

I hope (desperately) that this is right decision, but I do understand the queries from the outer.

But it is now done, decision made, and hopefully Schwab (& Stynes) can earn our respect by pulling this club back together off field, and as someone said earlier in regards to the "mates" angle, who cares, as long as this group of people have in their collective heads what is best for the club in the long and short run.

Yes. On with the job now. He's had a look at the books before making the decision.

My concern is that he was our CEO before our merger talks last time we nearly died.

Incorrect. He became CEO after 1996 merger talks.

Hassa Mann was the CEO during the merger fiasco.

Correct.

I wonder what changed Schwab's mind to take the job?

We shall find out.

Post 45, good number to post on.

Can anyone please elaborate on how our debt went from 2 maybe 3 million, to 5 million suddenly? It's a step i think i missed, and it's perplexed me for a while now!

I'm glad to hear Schwab didn't do a U-turn because of an empassioned plea from Jimmy, though who knows how much of what comes out in the media, especially SEN, is actually true.

This is why i used to largely avoid the tabloids.

But yes, i hope in future the MFC can conduct itself in a more professional matter, and from here it is onward and upward.

He shed some light on this when he was asked the question on SEN.

I posted a brief run-down of some of the discussion in post 45.

Yes. Good post update on new Mfc CEO Schwab. It fills in some of the gaps. Just with the Fox situation last week......makes me wonder what has been happening behind the scenes.... :D

I wonder..just wonder ..if despite all the rhetoric that Scwabby might have felt he was a walk up monty when Harris was leaving and felt a little miffed..or non-plussed ( call it what you like ) and really then began to consider various life options.. I suppose this is all great fodder for conspiratists but maybe he was a bit less than impressed with the whole carry on and shenanagans ( which adds cred in my eyes)

Just maybe the professional that he is..he needed to be convinced we were not only fair dinkum but had got our act together to warrant his serious consideration..After all in many fields you're only as good as you last time to bat. Im sure that despite any allegiances he wouldn't want to board a dodgy ship!

Im quite happy for him to be CEO..Im somewhat less than impressed with the comedy capers that led up to all ths through the year though!!

I'm very happy with the appointment of Cameron Schwab as the new CEO of the MFC! It hasn't been a good weekend after getting belted by Port Power over in Adelaide and not even reading a mention of it in the newspaper (mercy rule perhaps?).

Cameron Schwab has done an excellent job at Fremantle and I believe he will help us here at the MFC. I really feel a sense of "unity" and purpose amongst the new MFC board and I believe we are slowly heading on the right track.

Schwabby defines stability as the key

Not a bad article.. Gives a bit more illumination over his reasons...and he's right..

SEN had an interview with Schwab earlier this evening.

On his 'u-turn' -

IIRC, Schwab said that he hadn't really spoken to CC about the job, as he had pulled out of the process earlier on, before calling him today to let him know he was interested.

Seems a very fast-tracked process (if Rogue has recalled correctly)!

Meanwhile, Schwab's predecessor at Melbourne, Paul McNamee, has been appointed interim CEO of the Southern Cross FC consortium, which is bidding for the second Melbourne franchise in the A-League.

The Southern Cross FC consortium has had an interesting evolution. It's initial bid to FFA was to be cased at Casey Fields. Although initially fronted by a former director of South Melbourne Hellas, the bid was separate from SM Hellas (which had wanted to make its own bid, but never got it off the ground). It seems that SM Hellas has somehow got into the consortium, and has redirected its base from Casey Fields to the Bob Jane Stadium.

This is probably anathema to FFA which wants no ethnic associations with its A-league teams and also supports a presence at Casey.

The Southern Cross FC consortium has had an interesting evolution. It's initial bid to FFA was to be cased at Casey Fields. Although initially fronted by a former director of South Melbourne Hellas, the bid was separate from SM Hellas (which had wanted to make its own bid, but never got it off the ground). It seems that SM Hellas has somehow got into the consortium, and has redirected its base from Casey Fields to the Bob Jane Stadium.

This is probably anathema to FFA which wants no ethnic associations with its A-league teams and also supports a presence at Casey.

In other words, McNamee is learning from his experiences at Melbourne.

Right decision by the club.

Heard him talk for first time today and seems a very calm and well spoken dude.

I think Stynes and board have done a terrific job so far and all supporters have to back what ever decisions come and not bag them.

In Stynes I Trust

Or maybe how much of it?

He had rejected the job earlier so he should have made all his mind up.

I just wonder how much influence the AFL had in sealing this position. Given the to and fro over Schwab and Fox, I wonder if there where any serious candidates out there to take what is no doubt the toughest and most difficult CEO job in the AFL. And no reasonable money could attract other capable candidates to risk so much.

Guest Golgothan
Hassa Mann was the CEO during the merger fiasco.

I wonder what changed Schwab's mind to take the job?

From the article from The Age:

He cited Schwab's CV — having taken over Richmond as general manager during the Save Our Skins campaign, having been chief executive of Melbourne after the club had voted to merge, and assuming the role at Fremantle when the club was $8 million in debt with 12,000 members to now having five consecutive million-dollar profits — as proof he was the corporate surgeon the club needed.

I thought Schwab had been CEO previously around the time before or after the merger, but you seemed pretty confident about stating that it was Mann, so is this article incorrect?

I've tried to find out else where but previous CEOs is exactly a highlight of club histories. Do you know what years he was in the position?

Can anyone please elaborate on how our debt went from 2 maybe 3 million, to 5 million suddenly? It's a step i think i missed, and it's perplexed me for a while now!

I would also like to know if anyone knows the answer to this? I couldnt understand how they could say about 2-3 million and then have a closer look and it goes to 5 million! Its not like oh bugger I forgot to add in that other million or two! :blink:

From the article from The Age:

I thought Schwab had been CEO previously around the time before or after the merger, but you seemed pretty confident about stating that it was Mann, so is this article incorrect?

I've tried to find out else where but previous CEOs is exactly a highlight of club histories. Do you know what years he was in the position?

Check the list of office bearers on the MFC website.

I recall Schwab was a Gutnick appointment back then.

I would also like to know if anyone knows the answer to this? I couldnt understand how they could say about 2-3 million and then have a closer look and it goes to 5 million! Its not like oh bugger I forgot to add in that other million or two! :blink:

This years operating loss would have added to the balance of the 2 to 3 million. I think the $5 million estimate was where the the Board thought we would be after the end of this year.

If memory serves me correctly, I heard Jimmy mention something just before he took over.

It was along the lines of 3 million was our initial debt, and then plus 2 million expected loss this year.

Gives us 5 million debt as at end of this year.

Guest Golgothan
Check the list of office bearers on the MFC website.

I recall Schwab was a Gutnick appointment back then.

Found it. Mann was in charge while the merger almost happened, Schwab was a Gutnick appointment half-way through 1997 and lasted about 2 years before Anderson took over.

If memory serves me correctly, I heard Jimmy mention something just before he took over.

It was along the lines of 3 million was our initial debt, and then plus 2 million expected loss this year.

Gives us 5 million debt as at end of this year.

The new Board needs to explain this to us all! The Gardner regime reduced the debt during its first 2 and a half years to less that $2 million with much the same priorities as the new Board is now aspousing. Position was apparently still improving 18 months ago. We need to understand why debt has blown out again and what costs are invloved. For example what is the total amount wasted on salary payouts in last 18 months (my guess is around $500k) and how much has MFC paid out for the China promotion and the venture with the other "melbourne" sports clubs. My guess is MFC paid most of the costs. Are there losses from gaming venues?

CS was the CEO immediately prior to Ray Ellis but the lack of controls and systems were not all created by Ellis. Things deteriorated under him but there were deficiencies going back long before his time.

So we can only pray the in his time at Freo CS has gained valuable experience that he can now bring back to the MFC in his new stint and be able to establish a stronger administration than before.

CS said on SEN last night this was his 3rd time at MFC as he started his administrative career with MFC and did some recruiting - including The OX in his early days.