MEMORIAL - Match Review v Cats

Guest TheVoice

I just showed plenty of courage and ticker by consuming a large bowl of fibre for breakfast.

Those that showed up are again the most disappointed.

We are talking about a side whose recent record is as good as any team that has ever played. This is not a 100-point loss to the second-bottom side, this is a thumping by a team that has made a habit of thumping other sides in the competition.

Geelong outscored the Dogs by about 10 goals in a half a few weeks ago. The Dogs are second on the ladder. The way I saw the game was they just came out and absolutely belted us in the first quarter, playing an awesome brand of footy that we couldn't match. We are the bottom side, have only won twice, and are without half a side. I thought the rest of the game we battled hard and tried hard but we were just completely overwhelmed by a brilliant, experienced, tough and skilful side.

Geelong counter attack from defence better than any side. So take out your three key forwards from the start of the year (Neitz, Robbo and Miller) and remove your best small forward (Davey). Now how is your forward line going to function against the best defensive unit in the competition? Especially when the pressure from midfield was intense and our players had to bomb the ball in because they had no time to look for targets. And how then, with guys like Harley and Scarlett and Mackie doing it easily are you going to stop the brilliant Geelong counter attack?

Then take out your best key defender (Rivers) and a very promising key defender (Garland). And your best midfielder (McLean). And then some handy players in Petterd and Moloney.

Yes the margin was big and was more than what we would have liked, but I have been far more disappointed as an MFC supporter in my time. People getting stuck into the side need to take a good hard look at themselves. I've seen good Melbourne sides get belted in just the same way by mediocre teams. This was the bottom side, with a young, inexperienced, developing team in against the competition big boys. What really did you expect to happen?

Things can turn around quickly.

We are talking about a side whose recent record is as good as any team that has ever played. This is not a 100-point loss to the second-bottom side, this is a thumping by a team that has made a habit of thumping other sides in the competition.

Geelong outscored the Dogs by about 10 goals in a half a few weeks ago. The Dogs are second on the ladder. The way I saw the game was they just came out and absolutely belted us in the first quarter, playing an awesome brand of footy that we couldn't match. We are the bottom side, have only won twice, and are without half a side. I thought the rest of the game we battled hard and tried hard but we were just completely overwhelmed by a brilliant, experienced, tough and skilful side.

Could not agree more and a big reason why sportsbet had the line bet margin was 60 1/2 points

There is Geelong and then there is space for second right now

An intelligent post that's probably wasted around here.

Our recent performances have lulled many into an unrealistic view of where we currently sit. We will keep getting better, but there will be bumps along the road.

Ten players last tonight won't be in our best team, or on our list, in 3 years. I'm looking forward to watching this club evolve.

Ten players tonight won't be in our best team, or on our list, in 3 years. I'm looking forward to watching this club evolve.

Probably to the core of the debacle that was last night. It wa sa very makeshift sort of team in all reality. Geelong at present isnt really the foe you want to meet under those circumstances.

The Melbourne we will see next year wil be quite different..and the one the year after hardly recognisable in many ways form who took to the grass this year.

I watched every second of the game on TV and like everyone else it was cringeworthy, however as Geddy Lee said there were a number of factors that contributed. I have added some more.

They are the best side in the AFL.

They are physically far stronger than us.

They are far more experienced than us.

They have enormous self belief in each other.

They are more talented than us.

Their team was close to full strength, we were missing many of our best players.

We played a number of youngsters.

It was wet and that helps the stronger and more skilful sides.

They are four weeks away from the finals and we are playing out the year.

They backed themselves, with a player always running to space in the forward line for the turnover, which came often.

Their team has been settled for the year and ours has been disjointed through injury.

Our younger players are tiring after a long and disappointing year.

Our ball skill fell away under relentless pressure.

They beat the second best side the Bulldogs by 10 goals this year.

They beat the second best side in the Grand Final by 20 goals last year.

Etc, etc,etc.

Losing like that doesn't we mean we didn't try, it just means they were a hell of a lot better.

If I played Federer I wouldn't win a point but it wouldn't mean I wasn't trying. Same thing last night.

You are right. My worry is what this is going to do to our players. There was no structure in the game plan. When we go the ball we did not know what to do. We were chipping around till we lost it. My question is why bring out players like White, Carroll etc. who has not played a senior game in weeks to play against the top team. They needed match practise with another developing team before they faced the top team.

I can't see any improvement in the game plan. I wonder whether this coach knows what the strengths of the players are. Any developing team needs time, but you improve your team every day. I am crying for MFC, for our senior players who has to end their careers like games like this. I am so relieved that Neitz did not have to put up with this sort of humiliation. Go Dees. Stuff the rest.

Geelong counter attack from defence better than any side. So take out your three key forwards from the start of the year (Neitz, Robbo and Miller) and remove your best small forward (Davey). Now how is your forward line going to function against the best defensive unit in the competition? Especially when the pressure from midfield was intense and our players had to bomb the ball in because they had no time to look for targets. And how then, with guys like Harley and Scarlett and Mackie doing it easily are you going to stop the brilliant Geelong counter attack?

Then take out your best key defender (Rivers) and a very promising key defender (Garland). And your best midfielder (McLean). And then some handy players in Petterd and Moloney.

Yes the margin was big and was more than what we would have liked, but I have been far more disappointed as an MFC supporter in my time. People getting stuck into the side need to take a good hard look at themselves. I've seen good Melbourne sides get belted in just the same way by mediocre teams. This was the bottom side, with a young, inexperienced, developing team in against the competition big boys. What really did you expect to happen?

A voice of reason in the wilderness. Sadly those that will appreciate it had probably worked it out already, those that don't never will.

Personally i was more [censored] off with losing to bottom teams when we were vying for top 4 spots in 04-06 years.

If the boys have an ounce of fibre in them, they'll be storing these floggings in their minds and using them for motivation. When the wheels turn and it will, the boys must be ruthless and step on opposition throats. I see this as an opportunity to toughen up our kids.

Well you wouldnt believe it my son played in his under 16 team today. Not great conditions but the kids played with heart and are now into the finals. Maybe Melbourne should look at even Younger players if they hope to turn it around

J/K ;)

Flippant: frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity: The audience was shocked by his flippant remarks about patriotism.

Your first two posts have added nothing to the forum. Unfortunately you don't get them back.

:)

Guest Stalwart
Flippant: frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity: The audience was shocked by his flippant remarks about patriotism.

Your first two posts have added nothing to the forum. Unfortunately you don't get them back.

:)

Sorry it wasnt ment to be Ive deleted the second but I stand by the first

My appologies

I watched every second of the game on TV and like everyone else it was cringeworthy, however as Geddy Lee said there were a number of factors that contributed. I have added some more.

Their team was close to full strength, we were missing many of our best players.

They backed themselves, with a player always running to space in the forward line for the turnover, which came often.

Their team has been settled for the year and ours has been disjointed through injury.

Etc, etc,etc.

Losing like that doesn't we mean we didn't try, it just means they were a hell of a lot better.

If I played Federer I wouldn't win a point but it wouldn't mean I wasn't trying. Same thing last night.

Excellent words of wisdom "redleg'. Our team is a bunch of youngsters and they are on a learning curve. As in all learning there is a plateau which sometimes lasts forever, but once the climb upwards commences it is all go,go. With our new draft picks I am very confident we will rise rapidly next year. Well done mate.

Guest unstable punt

Etc, etc,etc.

spot on , supporters are too quick to bag the team without looking at the facts, and the fact is we were totally undermanned, they were full strength, this team also beat Port in the GF by more than they beat us. You just cannot justify slagging them off on that performance, we were due that game last night, if you choose to remember the young blokes had been going okay for a few months. I reckon we will beat WC next week.

Etc, etc,etc.

This is a far more accurate account of last night. I sat there in the members and cringed at the mistakes, but I also sat back and watched a professionally drilled outfit in Geelong display the most clinical display of footy in those conditions I have ever seen.

This is a far more accurate account of last night. I sat there in the members and cringed at the mistakes, but I also sat back and watched a professionally drilled outfit in Geelong display the most clinical display of footy in those conditions I have ever seen.

The way people are talking you would think that they are describing our capitualation at the G in 2000 to Carlton, when we looked pedestrian and were beaten by 99 points. That was a very angry night of radio talk back on the way to ALBURY!

I think we're better of than a number of clubs that will need to start rebuilding in the next year or two. It won't be easy with all of the concessions to the new clubs while at lweast we have started the process and will have three picks in the top 20 plus first in the PSD.

we should get back quite a few next year after their injuries this year.