Can we beat Geelong?

H_T

Can we beat Geelong?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, well technically in a two horse race any can win, but we would need Geelong to play the worst game for 2 years and us to play our best game in well ................EVER!

Not going to happen. If we keep it under 66pts which is their average winning margin since their loss to the filth then we have done ok.

How much do you reckon we will be paying at TAB? At least 15 bucks.

I reckon they will have Cats somewhere around $1.06 Demons $7.50

Last time the Dees were $10+ on TAB; I think Centrebet had the Dees back then at $28, but it was at Skilled and came after horrendous 104 and 95 Point losses to Hawthorn and Bulldogs respectively.

No, well technically in a two horse race any can win, but we would need Geelong to play the worst game for 2 years and us to play our best game in well ................EVER!

Not going to happen. If we keep it under 66pts which is their average winning margin since their loss to the filth then we have done ok.

Well, that game at Skilled the boys gave the Cats a scare. Dees were off to a flyer, fell behind midway through the game, then our boys came back at them again and looked poised for the biggest upset of all, before the Cats composed themselves and eventually ran out the game 30 point winners.

Our side has improved, the major difference will no doubt be the Cats heavier more seasoned bodies against the light-framed youth of Melbourne.

But footy's a funny game and a great leveller - (don't you just love the Cliche's!) ;)

Go Dees!

P.S. FWIW you can take a good formline through the Bombers, outside Geelong they have the richest vein of form over the last several weeks.

Its unfortunate we will miss Garland. I'd love to see the Dees beat the Cats on Friday.

I'm looking forward to the line being released on this game. We have no hope of winning but last time round the bookies had the cats favourites by 12 goals. If that happens again I'm getting on board!

TAB Sportsbet have been pretty conservative with the line margin in recent Melbourne games, and rightfully so.

TAB Sportsbet have been pretty conservative with the line margin in recent Melbourne games, and rightfully so.

Yes. Being a Friday night and Melbourne home game at the G, which the players will enjoy. They will be up for this, no doubt. I'm probably leaning towards a line of 38.5 points, based on Melbourne's performances of late. The line will almost be halved from the line back in Round 3.

Yes. Being a Friday night and Melbourne home game at the G, which the players will enjoy. They will be up for this, no doubt. I'm probably leaning towards a line of 38.5 points, based on Melbourne's performances of late. The line will almost be halved from the line back in Round 3.

For good reason...

1. We are a better side than we were at the start of the year.

2. At 17 and 1, Geelong have little to gain out of this game bar four expected points and more importantly no injuries nor suspensions to key players. Its a good opportunity for Geelong to hone and experiment with a couple of tactics/players. I do not expect them to be primed at their 100% best for the game.

Either way, its predominantly up to Geelong how much they win by. I'd say 48 points.

Happy for an unlikely upset though! :D

Straight off the Sportsbet website. They could make the odds $99 and I still don't think it'd be good value given the gulf that exists between these 2 sides.

With Garland out, all of the sudden our backline looks 'even more' vulnerable..........

(I put in 'even more' after reading it back before posting :lol: )

They will try their hardest. They don't play at the MCG that often and they will want to show the competition how good they are. If we were to get close to them at any stage they would just up the ante and put us to the sword.

This is not a big time game for Geelong this week.

And I dont know what you expect Geelong proves by beating us. If they win by less than 6 goals, it will be meritous loss for MFC on the scoreboard. If they beat us by more it was expected.

After flogging their nearest rivals Hawthorn and Western Bulldogs with key players missing, i think the competition realises that lasy years premiers at 17 and 1 are good.....very good.

If MFC get close to them then Geelong are not trying their hardest.

If MFC get close to them then Geelong are not trying their hardest.

Sometimes you've got to give the opposition credit if they shut down a Geelong side, by preventing them playing at their best. Ie What Collingwood did to Geelong several weeks back.

In spite of our dramatic improvement, I reckon we'll struggle to push Geelong to within 30pts again, unless they have a truly awful night. Disinterested/conservative or not, Geelong are disgustingly clinical when it comes to exterminating 'pests', as we are to them. I fully expect this to get messy.

Wojcinski won't be back, Ablett may miss another week, Selwood, Milburn and Scarlett all could be suspended (I doubt Milburn will though).

Well it looks like Milburn could well be out at least.......

Milburn cops four weeks from panel

Sometimes you've got to give the opposition credit if they shut down a Geelong side, by preventing them playing at their best. Ie What Collingwood did to Geelong several weeks back.

Given what MFC have shown to date and the way Geelong have dismantled the best put before them, if Geelong actually go at 80% they will burn MFC. MFC might nullify them for a quarter or two but it aint going to be a good standard of footy.