Juice is done

Beamer

Time to go Michael Newton.

Sure he may have the ability but he just doesnt have a big enough influence on the game no matter how well we are playing. We all hear about his ability to take pack marks but these talents are rarely sited on game days.

Goodbye now.

Was beaten time and again by Grover in the one-on-ones when he went near it, kicked a nice albeit flukey goal in that apparition of a first quarter, and then went missing for the next 70 minutes. I thought he may have even been injured as he wasnt seen even in the screeen if he was on the ground just not touching it. And his pathetic, lazy effort at a 1-handed mark going back with the flight of it into the corridor summed up his career to date, promises much but ultimately fails to deliver on said promise...

Having said that Bailey tends to give young kids 3 games to prove themselves, so me may survive to play the Kangas...

Sure he may have the ability but he just doesnt have a big enough influence on the game no matter how well we are playing. We all hear about his ability to take pack marks but these talents are rarely sited on game days.

Goodbye now.

No doubt he needs to do more, but it's his second game back after a big lay off. Give him a few more games.

Our disposal going forward was terrible for most of the day so it's not entirely his fault.

. And his pathetic, lazy effort at a 1-handed mark going back with the flight of it into the corridor summed up his career to date,

i reckon Bailey should sit him down, show a tape of that marking attempt 10 times over, then ask him which way he wants his career to go.

Goodbye now.

Give the kid a break. Did you expect him to dominate today when the ball was in Freo's forward 50 80% of the time?. He did drop a couple of marks but you're being way too harsh. Give him until the end of the year and then you can make a decision.

promises much but ultimately fails to deliver on said promise...

Does he or has he. Has he ever played a really good strong game for this club. Your expectations are too high. Allow the coaches to work with him. If he's still no good in a year or so's time then it'll be time to go. His weak effort mirrors one from last week and is a big worry

i reckon Bailey should sit him down, show a tape of that marking attempt 10 times over, then ask him which way he wants his career to go.

I think he might have already, after round 1..... It is tough being a forward with no ball but you have to take the chances given to you.

Unless his efforts were round 1 like he would on Yodas current for get another game or two to see if he is improving.

Give the kid a break. Did you expect him to dominate today when the ball was in Freo's forward 50 80% of the time?. He did drop a couple of marks but you're being way too harsh. Give him until the end of the year and then you can make a decision.

Sadly there is a huge gap between dominating (which I didn't expect) and him being just plain lazy......

He unfortunately seems to fall into the latter catagory, in that he just doesn't seem to work hard enough.

I am willing to give him a few more games to see what he can improve on, but the all important work ethic just doesn't seem to be there.

Which is staggeringly unfortunate given we know he has talent.

Just my opinion :rolleyes: !!!

I can't beleive you people. With the amount of supply he had, he used it very well. Words can't describe how idiotic it is to say he played bad today.

Call me an idiot, but he had a bad game today! Plenty of friends though. We just have to keep playing him . Surely he will show us something by years end.

Sadly there is a huge gap between dominating (which I didn't expect) and him being just plain lazy......

He unfortunately seems to fall into the latter catagory, in that he just doesn't seem to work hard enough.

I am willing to give him a few more games to see what he can improve on, but the all important work ethic just doesn't seem to be there.

Which is staggeringly unfortunate given we know he has talent.

Just my opinion :rolleyes: !!!

The only time we had any structure and looked half good was when we had Newton up forward.

Have faith.

Edited by Nasher

people on demonland consistently write players off too early.

its actually a bit comical if the posters weren't so serious...

People wrote off Garland, the same people wrote of C.Johnson, and the same people wrote off Miller.

Newton is not gone. he may turn out to be a dud, but he will be given time like all our players should.

Since I got to watch a game live today, my view on Newton is different.

He presented well most of the day which would have been shown on TV because we often went sideways for the easy possession coming across half forward screwing up the forwards and Newton's run at the ball. You could say the same thing about Sylvia in the last qtr, but the players kicked the ball over his head and had to run back with his opponent to contest for it. And often the delivery was awful.

Since I got to watch a game live today, my view on Newton is different.

He presented well most of the day which would have been shown on TV because we often went sideways for the easy possession coming across half forward screwing up the forwards and Newton's run at the ball. You could say the same thing about Sylvia in the last qtr, but the players kicked the ball over his head and had to run back with his opponent to contest for it. And often the delivery was awful.

Any more to report on Newton, I haven't seen the game I need details

Overall he played with more touch than the bulldogs games that i watch on TV. Didn't spill easy marks, and there were a lot of fumbles after the first qtr.

First qtr the whole team look brillant as the dockers didn't bother to chase or harass at all. Looked like a huge tanking effort by them, they were woeful.

The boys moved the ball really well and found lots of space with clean delivery and it was looking great.

After qtr time, the dockers pretty much ran with our boys restricting their space causing the confidence to drop and clangers to skyrocket, and those short useless hand passes reappeared.

As for Newton worked up and down the wings when the ball was in the dockers 50 to present as a target constantly, which doesn't show up on the tv. As I posted before except for the first qtr there were little opportunity to a nic clean lead up the guts of the ground, spent some time on the bench over the match as well. Too much sudden sideways movement across the centre that just confused the forwards, or they held the ball too long in a run so by the time they kicked it the forward for example Bate in the last qtr was marking a kick outside 50 whereas he started leading from the square and should have gotten it 30-40 out.

Guest unstable punt
Thread title suggests Newton was once a good player, but is now done. Very misleading :P

its just pathetic and frustrating how so-called supporters can make these irrational judgements on a guy who's around 20 years old and has been out injured most of the year, your frickin' tossers and you have no f%#king clue...not you Jaded the guy who started the thread and a few of his mates

Juice is a key forward and we all know they take time. He continues to show positive signs and he has shown in the past that he has plenty of natural talent. What he needs is game time remembering that he is coming back from a fairly serious knee injury.

To all those Juice-bashers, give the guy a break. Keep in mind that it is not easy playing in our forward line atm. I am confident he WILL come good.

Thread title suggests Newton was once a good player, but is now done. Very misleading :P

Whoa! Jaded lets fly....

I am a rpoud Juice bandwagoner... and even I'm getting to that stage. Going on the whole "tall player" rule where we give them years to develop, I reckon he'll still be at the club for a little while yet.

But I just couldn't help but be frustrated with him today. His last match he did what he was supposed to do. Mark inside fifty. This match he didn't even look like it except for a passage of play or two.

I'm not going to string him up just yet, but I'm on the way.

Newton is a full forward in a team that couldn't get the ball inside 30m from goal for almost 3 quarters of football. If the ball doesn't come near you how are you meant to impact a game. Same as Sylvia, I actually thought in the first and last quarter he was our best player and in the second and third he got a cold up forward. Our Midfield was very very bad yesterday and is still our weakest part of our team. I have been on the draft the best KPP but we need quality midfielders.

Whoa! Jaded lets fly....

I am a rpoud Juice bandwagoner... and even I'm getting to that stage. Going on the whole "tall player" rule where we give them years to develop, I reckon he'll still be at the club for a little while yet.

But I just couldn't help but be frustrated with him today. His last match he did what he was supposed to do. Mark inside fifty. This match he didn't even look like it except for a passage of play or two.

I'm not going to string him up just yet, but I'm on the way.

Fair post Dappa. You have been a big Newton supporter and I understand why.

While Newton will be given until the end of the year, he has done himself no favours thus far.

Yesterday, while he received limited supply into the F50, I was disappointed with the following:

1. Failure to repeatedly present when the ball came forward. If I compare Millers work rate to Newton's work rate there is an alarming gap.

2. The relative ease at which his direct opponent ran off him from a contested situation reflecting a lack of second effort after a marketing contest.

3. Failure to grasp marks when he gets both hands to it. Its supposedly his strength.

Its a misnomer to suggest he is only 20 or 21 yo age. He has had 4 years at MFC and the areas where he is lacking are core areas which younger and more junior players show naturally in lesser leagues. Why not Newton? The continual reoccurrence of his lazy half hearted approach crucifies any titbit of skill many posters get carried away with.

MFC were terrrible yesterday and its on these days that forwards must work harder for the opportunities that come their way. Its disturbing that he did not work harder and more importantly never seemed to realise the need to.

Alot of you so called supporters are saying "stick a fork in him, Newton is done".

I ask you how many games has this guy played? Not even 15 games.

FACT: at present our best midfield is not on the park.

This guy is a Full Forward who has had 3 games this year. With very limited game time even at Sandringham seniors this year due to niggles.

He kicked 2 goals yesterday with limited supply.

IMO wait, lets see him play the year out. That's what Bailey wants to see.