Demon OR Melbournefc..

Yencks

OPTIONS  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there is another thread on this but i would like to get the overall numbers in a poll...so maybe we could merge the threads or something...i dont mind

here is my take...i love the new logo..a lot of people complain about the immuturity of the demon logo and most supporters, yes most that at least i have spoken to outside of this forum, think that the current logo has always been the logo because it is on the bumper stickers.

i am all for pushing the demons/dees moniker but i think we would be taking a step backwards if we changed the logo...little kids i dont think really care about the logo, but they are interested in the mascot (who is there before everygame) and is also on all of the kids merchandising anyway...also, the club still calls us the dees in all of the articles on the websight.

i think that the demon masoct/moniker is great and should definately be pushed more so than it is, however i think we should leave the logo...

the whole "melbournefc" thing, if people genuinally dont like it, ive heard suggestions about calling ourselves MFC 1958

also, we must look at carlton who are still a bit of a powerhouse and are right on the up at the moment...their logo is the "CFC" and they are not even called "the blues" on anything official yet there is no stopping passion and supporters at the youth level for them

in conclusion, we should keep the logo but still promote the demon

if people are still upset about the whole "melbournefc" thing, then change it, but for the time being, lets leave the fricken logo alone.

i think that the demon masoct/moniker is great and should definately be pushed more so than it is, however i think we should leave the logo...

the whole "melbournefc" thing, if people genuinally dont like it, ive heard suggestions about calling ourselves MFC 1958

MFC 1858

First let me say that I have followed the Demons all my life.

One of my earliest memories was being thrown in the air by my Dad on the terraces under the old Southern Stand when Hassa Mann took a great mark deep in the last quarter to hold out Footscray on a cold and rainy winters day.

The thing that makes footy such a great game and a lifetime passion for so many of us is the tribalism of following one team all our lives. We build year upon year fond memories of great wins and couragest losses, players who we pin all our hopes on and an unyielding belief that even if we are struggling at the moment, "there are a couple of skinny boys in the twos that are going to be world beaters when they get a couple of pre-seasons under their belt".

When clubs fiddle with any of their long held traditions or symbols they run a tremendous risk of weakening the fabric that binds supporters to their team in good times and bad.

I hope the Gardiner administration considered all this when they dropped the Demon last year.

I for one was initially bemused, dissappointed and felt a little disenfranchised.

But after reading the arguments for the move conveyed on Demonland and Demonology (by the way, the only effective source of real news I have about the club) I was more sanguine about the decision. In these days of political correctness and cultural sensitivities it shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us.

But the solution the Board and adminstration came up with was in my opinion, while stylish, incredibly boring and uninspiring. Just at a time when we are rightly being accused of being the blandest club in the AFL (remember Demetriou's question: What does the Melbourne Football Club stand for?) we come up with the red v on blue. Great colours, but unlikely to inspire swarms of nine year olds to turn up to Auskick in a Melbourne jumper!

Is this is the best we can come up with?

We simply have to do better. These are desparate times, we need to do a lot of things very well - in a hurry.

If Jim Stynes wants to reinstate the Demon - fine. It has served us well over a long period and if it helps us play with a little more passion and makes our supporters yell a little louder then I'm all for it.

But I want to float an idea that I think is an important first and symbolic step in reinvigorating our brand in the long term.

A long, long time ago I understand the Demon replaced the Fuschia as Melbourne's mascot. With hindsight, I think that was a very good decision, it was right for the times and it created an exciting new image for the club. My guess is (that along with Melbourne being a dominate club for long periods in the first two thirds of the twentieth century) the Demon captured the imagination of a lot of kids who liked the idea of wearing the read and the blue and running around the backyard kicking and marking the ball like a Demon. But as I said times have changed.

Why not take a risk and change our mascot to the:

Melbourne "Fire"

I think it is a natural evolution of the traditional demon symbol and therefore reduces the risk of alientating supporters who feel a strong attachment to the Demon.

But it is modern, it conjures up energy, fear, excitement and a whole range of other connations that can be used in marketing the club across the full spectrum of the market.

What do you reckon?

Helpful Eastie, very helpful.

I wonder what any marketing people in demonland can tell us what they think, whether they think the demon or melbourne fc is easier to market.

Great post Inandunder. You're spot about the importance of tradition.

Changing the club's moniker is an interesting idea, but I see it less likely of happening under Stynes’ leadership.

Before I looked into the reasons for the change, I thought that MelbourneFC was just a transitional phase…. I actually had the Dragons in mind too.

If a change was made. It could only happen if the club was ready to make a stand, from the players through to the supporters. There’s no point slapping on a new label, if it’s just more of the same.

I only started following Melbourne in the mid-90’s, so I can only imagine that what was shown in the 70’s and 80’s was enough to disillusion a lot of people.

I remember reading a Herald Sun survey that showed we have the highest supporter turn-over of any other club, which doesn’t surprise me at all... A 23 year finals draught!

So much damage was done in those years. Imagine if Carlton had to languish at the bottom of the ladder for another 16 years...

If the demons change their name, will the moderators of this site change with it, for EG

Melbournefcland, of

Fireland, or

Fuschialand, or

?????????

LOL

Moose

not MFC 1958....MFC 1858 !!!!

Before I get pounced upon... don't take this post as racist, I have nothing against China.

Can someone give me some back-ground info on what our connection is with China, and why we are trying to please a distant country by altering our iconic symbol? This has had me stumped since we dropped the 'Demon' mascot so as we wouldn't offend their culture.

I understand that they have the largest population in the world... but does the marketing committee actually think that people from the other side of the globe are actually going to spend their hard-earned cash on some sporting club from an unfamiliar sport that is on tens of thousands of kilometers away... or is this just driven by the fact that our number ticket holder happens to be a Chinese immigrant?

Here is what I think:

1- BRING BACK THE 'DEMON'

2- If we are going to target a foreign market... why not target India? India is country that is globally known to be 'sport crazy' (unlike China). There is so much money generated by sport (particularly cricket) in that country, that I am surprised at least one AFL club hasn't really tried to tap into it. Their cricketers are treated like Gods and people like Sachin Tendulkar earn an estimated US$20,000,000 each year through endorsement deals alone (Pepsi, Adidas, and Philips to name a few).

How could we create a link between our foreign game and cricket? Our great game was born as a winter past-time for cricketers to keep fit. We, the Melbourne Football Club are the oldest club of this sport, and have a rich history. Plus... last summer when India was touring out here, who did we manage to tee-up to wear a Melbourne Football Club jumper? The great Sachin Tendulkar himself... if this man is seen endorsing our club, then I think we are on a potential gold-mine in India.

One other thing... if the marketing committee is targeting China solely on the base that it has the largest population in the world, perhaps it should take note that by 2050, India is expected to overtake China as the most populated country on the planet. Let's look ahead.

I know that this is unlikely to happen… but I'm interested if anyone thinks this idea has any merit.

while ya there I'l lhave a Rogan Johst..some Naan and a Chicken Marsala :)))

I cant see India working despite its sporting madness. India is Cricket..Cricket..Cricket.. and on an off day Hockey !! Thats it !!. Arent a lot of Indians that could make a team.

Nice idea..cant see it getting anywhere... thats not to be rude.. just an observation.

China has potential. There is history in this country and especially this town of Chinese participatoin. Im all for that. I am NOT for any dickering with our beloved DEMON !! China will take time but needs prioriitising. No point getting all clever there if we are struggling here ; and Im for a China effort.

Im sure there are ways of movig forward and developing China without adulterating the Demon.

For mine..Im happy to cal lthe club the MFC./ Melbourne fc ..same thing really...just graphical semantics. But as our LOGO.. Has to be a Demon..whether its last years or a new style doesnt matter.. But it MUST be a Demon !!

F**K OFF with this crap about changing the name to suit the China experiment. What a pile of absolute crap. I say if we're gonna change the name change it back the Fuschias until we earn the name demons again. This club is rotten at the moment.

FFS!

We have not lost the demon "mascot"...in reality, the only thing that has changed is the logo and most people genuinally dont even notice a logo...all of the children stuff still has the demon on it

the name has not officially been melbourne demons for a LONG time

Demons is who we are I suppose and I certainly don't support dropping it for Melbourne fc.

I just fine the whole "Go Deez" thing effeminate and insipid.

It's Demons, not D's !!

It goes with range rovers, ski trips and leather elbow patches to me..

Logo's are important and they do get noticed. Bring back the demon, and leave the writing off the bumper stickers. I threw mine out this year cause they looked embarrassing. Why change something that already works. Wish the rules committee would heed the same philosophy!

Im for a China effort.

Im sure there are ways of movig forward and developing China without adulterating the Demon.

And there is the precedent with Manchester United, the most popular EPL club in China...being the "red devils" doesn't seem to have done them much harm ;)

And there is the precedent with Manchester United, the most popular EPL club in China...being the "red devils" doesn't seem to have done them much harm ;)

Having a Chinese striker on their roster to pretty much build support over there hasn't done them much harm either.

It would be to expensive to change the logo after one year, leave it for another year or two then change back to our old logo.