Jamars game on Sandilands

Pipefitter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was very pleased with his rucking on the weekend!!

he exerted some physical presence on the game via jumping hard into sandilands and made sure that he was softened up for jeff white... sandilands had little influence on the game in relation to clearances, etc...

hopefully some confidence now...

Rush and PJ need to share the No.1 ruck responsibility for the remainder of the year to see whether they are up to it. They have played in Whitey's shadow for too long and need more opportunity.

The same could have been said about Symmonds and Jolly, who have gone on to prove themselves at other clubs.

Just watching the tape, God he played him well. His strategy was just to beat him to the ruck and use his body to work him out. Excellent work.

I agree with you re Jamar. Considering Sandilands' game against Geelong the previous week, it was impressive ruck work and enormously important overall. I also noticed White getting Sandilands off his stride by using his prodigious leap on several occasions. I need to watch the tape, there was so much happening in the centre, but I got the impression White also did his share. I hope White gets his confidence back, he's very useful around the ground and dropping back and plugging holes.

The thing about Jamar is that even though he doesn't do the "obvious things" (lots of possessions, marks etc), he'll often be the strongest man in the contest, and he has learned to use his body to good effect. As well as keeping the opposition big men out of the contest and bulldozing opposition smalls out of the way, he's added a new string to his bow this year in actually getting the ball himself and winning clearances.

If having the likes of White and PJ can be called "extra midfielders" because they get possessions around the ground, then having Jamar in present form is akin to having an extra inside midfielder in the contests. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Besides those nasty screwups against Carltno, he's been one of the surprising shining lights so far this year.

Bruce McAvaney...the reason why they put a mute button on the TV control set.

Nah, McAvaney makes the footy for me. Go and replay the Wonaeamirri goal that put us in front. When he says 'HOW GOOD IS THIS", it will send chills up your spine. Best in the business along with Cometti. Tim Lane also a favourite on Ch 10.

But Mcavaney best natural commentator going around.

Yes i was very impressed with his game on Sandilands. He jumped into him early and negated his influence on the game. He also getting going for the ball on the ground a bit more as well which has improved his worth. Made two terrible handballs during the game though that i noticed, went straight to Freo players.

was very pleased with his rucking on the weekend!!

he exerted some physical presence on the game via jumping hard into sandilands and made sure that he was softened up for jeff white... sandilands had little influence on the game in relation to clearances, etc...

hopefully some confidence now...

get your own material, thats what they said on channel 7. In my opinion, i don't think Jamar is going to worry the 7 foot 120kg Sandilands.

Nah, McAvaney makes the footy for me. Go and replay the Wonaeamirri goal that put us in front. When he says 'HOW GOOD IS THIS", it will send chills up your spine.

"CLE... VER!!"

(a true character along with Cometti!)

get your own material, thats what they said on channel 7. In my opinion, i don't think Jamar is going to worry the 7 foot 120kg Sandilands.

I dont think he will either Freak....fact is that on Sunday he DID and negated Sandilands effect on the game.

Tim Watson is the awful one.

Jamar is in a tough position. He can play the bash and crash ruckman and he is handy as a marking tall in the square. But he is out of his depth around the ground, in this regard he is similar to Sandilands - with the difference being 15cm.

That is why PJ is value, because he can play a lead up forward role, defend the resting ruckman, and follow the play in the middle with good skill.

Jamar is playing well, but his effectiveness may be outdone by a Spencer or Warnock, just because they are 204cm+ and Jamar has no extra attributes to distinguish himself from them.

Tough, but that's footy.

This thread is all a bit too positive for my liking.

Jamar, is one of our worst players, 1 good game in the ruck doesn't change that. He won't get a game while PJ and White are fit.

Bruce is a tool, and he smothers Cometti. Dennis has been half the commentator since channel 7 got the footy, and I blame Bruce for that.

and if i hear Bruce say: "dare I say it, centimeter perfect" one more time......

Jamar, is one of our worst players, 1 good game in the ruck doesn't change that. He won't get a game while PJ and White are fit.

Bruce is a tool, and he smothers Cometti. Dennis has been half the commentator since channel 7 got the footy, and I blame Bruce for that.

and if i hear Bruce say: "dare I say it, centimeter perfect" one more time......

another bruce basher .... :lol:

Nah, McAvaney makes the footy for me. Go and replay the Wonaeamirri goal that put us in front. When he says 'HOW GOOD IS THIS", it will send chills up your spine. Best in the business along with Cometti. Tim Lane also a favourite on Ch 10.

But Mcavaney best natural commentator going around.

Oh dear. Listening to Grybas and Commetti IS football, god rest his soul.

Bruce is awful. Simply awful. Unimaginative, repetitive, and about as humorous as an abortion. He used to be the main man before ch 9 had control, but football commentary went through a renaissance in those years with Commetti redefining the job, and spawning the Grybas' of this world.

The sooner he bows out of commentary in the AFL, the better. Oh. And someone please knife Healy. Get him orrrrf.

Too positive? or too speeeeeecial?

Jamar has played one good game. Count it. One. Sandilands played a blinder two weeks ago, but is famous for being hot and cold. I'm surprised and pleased for Mark that he beat him on the day and had his first effect on a game in a long time. But my goodness does he have a long way to go still. It's not even about how god he was, it's about how god he CAN be... and 9 possessions? I just worry... Compare Jamar's game with any one of about 3 or 4 of PJ's this year and you have your answer.

From my other posts re: changes V Adelaide:

IN: P. Johnson, Sylvia

OUT: Jamar, Garland

Jamar (a bit stiff to miss out, ideally would like to see White dropped but realistically, just cant see that happening).

Despite Jamar's improved performance this week against formidable opposition in Sandilands, PJ will get the chance to play at Sandy next week if fit during the week off, and should be ready to return to the team for the match against Adelaide. Credit where credit is due to Jamar, for he played the best game of his career thus far. But... it was still just 9 possesions and only 2 marks + 20 HO. We all know his strengths are he can ruck and likes the physical stuff, and just as well known are his weaknesses- his inability to find the footy and run hard to make space to provide an option around the ground. He played a good game on the weekend, but still has not improved on the major deficiencies of his game (something PJ has done). IMO Jamar still needs to do alot more than just one good game. PJ was flying when he broke his hand, and deserves to come straight back in.

PJ would have been leading our B&F or thereabouts, prior to his unfortunate lay-off since Rnd 3. Jamar has had 3 or 4 opportunities and only really has delivered in one of those games (against Freo). And there was nothing in that particular game that PJ was not capable of doing. I'm not saying Jamar doesnt deserve his spot though, if he's ever earnt a game, it would be against the Crows. I just think PJ did the hard yards early in the year to establish himself, and should considered automatic if fit.

If its not fair to Jamar getting dropped after the 'game of his life', consider this....

Twice in games where PJ has played the 'best game of his life' at AFL level, he has injured himself thru selfless team acts (3rd effort against Syd on the wing in 06 where he did his shoulder, and in Rnd 3 against Geelong he broke his hand at a stoppage the 1st qtr! Yet still soldiered on to be just about our best player on the day). On both occasions in the wake of his injuries, Jamar was handed an opportunity at the top level without necessarily earning his selection. His game against Freo, whilst being the best of his career to date, really still pales in comparison to PJ's last game (and best game).

I know stats dont mean a whole lot a lot of the time, but FWIW...

PJ averages 16 disp, 6 marks and 11 hitouts per game from his 3 matches in '08.

Jamar's game averages from 4 matches are 9.25 disp, 2 marks and 16 hitouts per game.

7 disposals and 4 marks per game less, but 5 hitouts more. They'd have to be some great taps to justify his selection over a fit PJ.

If PJ is right, we gotta do the right thing by him and by the team, and pick him. That would be fair...

I've always been very vocal in my criticism of Mark, but i am very pleased with his game on Sunday. He played as well as he simply can, and extracted every last bit out of himself. Something that he hasn't done much of in his career to date. What worries me, however, is that there were no signs of improvement from him in other aspects of his game, and he was not hurting the opposition in the air (which is considered one of his strengths). IMO a player as limited as he is will struggle against more mobile ruckman than Sandilands, such as Adelaide's.

People seem to forget just how well PJ was going in losing sides. Jamar made a good solid contribution to the win, but in no way was the difference between winning and losing. Had we lost to Freo, would we still be as pleased with Jamar's performance?

Jamar has always been a good tap ruckman, always.

Even when he got a grand total of 1 possession a match, his ruck work was adequate.

His game on Sunday was terrific, but the reason it was terrific is because he actually did something when he wasn't rucking. As Nasher said, he used his body to block for others and he even got his own ball which is exactly what he should be doing on a consistent basis.

If we're serious about building for the future, both Jamar and PJ need to play equal time in the ruck for the rest of the year. White can play up forward or as a spare man in defence.

I think Jamar's ruck work should ever be questioned but he always spoils that good work by being pathetic around the ground. Until he can show us something around the ground his position will always be questioned.