Ben Cousins shows up at Junction Oval

gOLLy

Ben or No Ben  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I'd entertain having him train with us. I'm not sure if I'd draft him and bring him inside the club, but I'd defeinitely think about getting him to train with us.

Why?

He is one of the hardest trainers out of anyone out there. Having an example like him on the training track would be a real eye opener to a lot of our players, especially young ones who we are trying develop into elite midfielders. I don't think that there is a better example, on the track, of how to reach your potential than Ben Cousins.

I would be in favour because I actually think that he could possibly help our culture in some ways.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I'd entertain having him train with us. I'm not sure if I'd draft him and bring him inside the club, but I'd defeinitely think about getting him to train with us.

Why?

He is one of the hardest trainers out of anyone out there. Having an example like him on the training track would be a real eye opener to a lot of our players, especially young ones who we are trying develop into elite midfielders. I don't think that there is a better example, on the track, of how to reach your potential than Ben Cousins.

I would be in favour because I actually think that he could possibly help our culture in some ways.

Well you could extend that, because he plays his football as hard as he trains, so wouldn't it be good for the kids to see how the game should be played and played by someone that has tasted success. Instead of that they watch the same guys that have let us down for years and follow their example.

Good point, I suppose our "culture" problems are all footy related. Nobody would ever question Cousins' ethics on the field and training track, which is probably where we need the most amount of guidance.

By all accounts our players have no problems training with vigour.. so I see no gain in having his ilk in attendance !!

At 30 odd....yep the ideal recuit !! :huh::lol::rolleyes:

He's gaaaaaaaaaaawnnnn !!.....not interested

One of the problems with Benny before the proverbial hit the fan was that he was starting to miss sessions and turn up late at WCE. I think the big issue is if he can established as clean and his mind and attitude are in the right frame. Otherwise he has a ripping frame which shows dedication over a long time to physical development. Its the corrosion above the shoulders thats the worry.

However, I am sure there will be other Clubs considering him and I dont think he would come to MFC just to train though.

I think given the possible interest you are either in with Benny or not and the on field and training potential is taken with the well publicised risks and both are significant and possible.

Why?

I agree that having our guys train alongside someone who works as hard as Cousins on the track would definitely be a positive.

Am I missing something here.. what club wants to recruit a 30 yo ??..especially when youre building a side with realistic aspirations no closer than 2-3 years hence ?? :huh:

Am I missing something here.. what club wants to recruit a 30 yo ??..especially when youre building a side with realistic aspirations no closer than 2-3 years hence ?? :huh:

I reckon that if we got Ben we would get another 2,000 - 3,000 members sign up and we would get many others at the game to see how he goes; he would pay for himself.

I reckon that if we got Ben we would get another 2,000 - 3,000 members sign up and we would get many others at the game to see how he goes; he would pay for himself.

I really doubt that Robbie. I reckon the correlation between how many members sign up and what players are on the list is almost zip. I certainly don't know anyone who would base their decision of buying a membership (for any club) on the presense of one player. Certainly not 2,000+ worth.

Getting people through the gates is another matter, but I highly doubt that would be in any way a contributing factor to us getting him anyway.

I think if I wanted to generate some bums on seats Id rahter get Liz Hurley in devil garb to be our mascot ahead of entertaining Cousins !!

BC...just not my cup of tea

I agree that having our guys train alongside someone who works as hard as Cousins on the track would definitely be a positive.

We already have a 30 y.o. they can look up to MACCA

And the MFC and BC getting together makes no sense...DB & PG would put a halt to that one.

Bennie's options:

The filth - unlikely, Malthouse suffered enough with Tarrant

Carltank - whilst they have the requisite moral flexibility they have midfielders coming our of their jacksies

Doggies - have pace enough - don't need him

Essendon - see above

Richmond - too far away from being premiership contenders for it to make sense to either party

Geelong - father/son connection but realistically why rock a very steady boat?

Which leaves only North, Dorks & Sainter's in the hunt.

Saints - at a stage of development whereby they could use him...but would you risk Gardiner and BC at the same club together again?

North - couid they afford him, would BC turn up his teflon insert nostrils at their facilities?...which leaves only

The Dorks - that would make some sense

How do I put this gently...BC and some of the Dorks players allegedly share the same interests, they are premiership conteenders, and he would provide cover for Crawfords retirement

I really doubt that Robbie. I reckon the correlation between how many members sign up and what players are on the list is almost zip. I certainly don't know anyone who would base their decision of buying a membership (for any club) on the presense of one player. Certainly not 2,000+ worth.

You don't reckon Judd is a major factor in Carlton's record membership this year??

Cousins would generate so much excitement to this stale club. Much like Judd would've.

Getting people through the gates is another matter, but I highly doubt that would be in any way a contributing factor to us getting him anyway.

IMO if you have a lackluster side you get the equivalent support if you have players that will excite the supporters they will join and come along; we have no one in our side at the moment that would prompt anyone to buy a membership. So we don’t really know do we?

If a player like him could improve our onfield success than I’m sure our attendances would increase.

Cousins would generate so much excitement to this stale club. Much like Judd would've.

Unfortunately that just about sums up the club at the moment we are stuck in the 50's with our conservative ways. If we are to continue as a club we must be bold and not just go for the safety option like we have for year after unsuccessful year.

Why?

Completely agree.

Our list is not in the right place right now to accommodate Ben Cousins.

Not only because of his age and where we are at with our development, but also because he is a cultural cancer and I don't want him anywhere near our young and impressionable players.

Our list is not in the right place right now to accommodate Ben Cousins.

Not only because of his age and where we are at with our development, but also because he is a cultural cancer and I don't want him anywhere near our young and impressionable players.

Like Carroll, McLean and Sylvia are?

EDIT: Obviously what they have done is far less compared to Cousins, but they are hardly ideal role models.

No matter what Cousins does, he is going to be watched like a hawk by everyone.

Unfortunately that just about sums up the club at the moment we are stuck in the 50's with our conservative ways. If we are to continue as a club we must be bold and not just go for the safety option like we have for year after unsuccessful year.

If you want take a punt on a ratbag then what about Fev?

27 years old, so 3-4 years in him...straight replacement for Neitz.

Will Fev be available? If Greg Swann is true to his word then its just a matter of time :lol:

If you want take a punt on a ratbag then what about Fev?

27 years old, so 3-4 years in him...straight replacement for Neitz.

Will Fev be available? If Greg Swann is true to his word then its just a matter of time :lol:

So you would compare the two in ability? Fev is not even in the same park as Benny.

Prior to the problem surfacing Benny was a consistent and superb footballer, Fev will never be that.

Benny has a drug problem Fev is just an idiot and that's a problem you can't fix.

Like Carroll, McLean and Sylvia are?

EDIT: Obviously what they have done is far less compared to Cousins, but they are hardly ideal role models.

No matter what Cousins does, he is going to be watched like a hawk by everyone.

So your suggestion is to bring in another trouble-maker who also happens to be a proven drug-addict to the club? :blink:

You can watch Cousins like a hawk, but at the end of the day he still comes with a reputation that is going to taint our club's image.

So you would compare the two in ability? Fev is not even in the same park as Benny.

Prior to the problem surfacing Benny was a consistent and superb footballer, Fev will never be that.

Benny has a drug problem Fev is just an idiot and that's a problem you can't fix.

The Fev post was for a laugh

Personally...I would not entertain either of them. Fev & Ben are fools gold. Both are idiots, both are drunks, one's a multiple drug offender and the others been thrown out of an Irish pub - that's as astonishing achievement.

IMO some people are getting excited about the footballer Ben Cousins used to be [which was about half as good as Chri$ Judda$$].

I agree that we need to change tack and be more receptive to attracting marquee players...at the end of the year we will have the salary cap capacity...not so sure that we have enough chips at the trade table, it may be 2 years before we're in any sort of position to get one thats worth his salt.