• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sylvia suspended

Grooski

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect this may not be the last incident.

At the time the curfew was announced, I optimistically thought the leadership group were trying to avoid potential problems that had affected other clubs and codes in nightclub districts... but I suspect now that this was probably not the first time during the preseason that a player was out getting 'ripped' - hence the need to impose the 1 am time frame.

At the time the curfew was announced, I optimistically thought the leadership group were trying to avoid potential problems that had affected other clubs and codes in nightclub districts... but I suspect now that this was probably not the first time during the preseason that a player was out getting 'ripped' - hence the need to impose the 1 am time frame.

Exactly. This type of behaviour has obviously been consistent over the preseason. Why else would a team on the eve of a season introduce a curfew? Alarm bells should have been going off in our heads then.

I'm glad the leadership group have acted but hopefully Colin Sylvia and the team don't escape the wrath of Dean Bailey on the training track today.

I had the same concern. Its a reasonable action from the leadership group. It is a concern the reasons behind the need to do so.

Ultimately its very embarrassing for all at the Club. Many of whom are working hard on and off field to turn things around.

Most posters have been on this kids back for years, I don't blame him for getting on it he has next week off then 22 weeks of the season. If you are going to have a night out Saturday night was it. Missing recovery is wrong especially for a bloke that has a history of OP, but give him a break he stuffed up now he is 5K lighter in the pocket and isn't playing round 1, he has been punished.

Everyone calling for him to be traded what for, what is the point trading someone with out knowing what you can get for them. At the moment you would be lucky to get an second round pick, he is better on our list then pick 25-40.

The difference is that McLean did not break team-rules, and he did not miss a training session.

He broke the law, and the law punished him.

True, but McLean had four incidents in two months, three of which were legal issues, and none of which brought the club into a good light. The team rules excuse is what let Ben Cousins roam free in Perth for the best part of a decade.

I'm happy with the Sylvia suspension, and hopefully it doesn't happen again to any players, but if it does, I hope they come down like a ton of bricks. fatty is right, it cuts at a player deeply to miss games when they are fully fit, especially for a bloke with such an injury past like Col.

How stupid can you get.

One week after your club makes an announcement to clean up off field, u break curfew and don't turn up for recovery.

I don't think even a Steven Johnson 6 weeks exile to the VFL would get through to Colin.

He smacks as a bloke who doesn't want to be the best, just happy being there.

Bring back Robert Walls 5 boxers, 3 minutes each. Neitz stand up and beat the crap out of him.

Most posters have been on this kids back for years, I don't blame him for getting on it he has next week off then 22 weeks of the season. If you are going to have a night out Saturday night was it. Missing recovery is wrong especially for a bloke that has a history of OP, but give him a break he stuffed up now he is 5K lighter in the pocket and isn't playing round 1, he has been punished.

Everyone calling for him to be traded what for, what is the point trading someone with out knowing what you can get for them. At the moment you would be lucky to get an second round pick, he is better on our list then pick 25-40.

WTF. The bloke is a well paid footballer, not a socialite! If he's got a history of OP, you'd imagine that his ability to train hard is restricted. Going out on the squirt doesn't improve his fitness levels.

A Steve Johnson penalty is in order. If he doesn't change his ways, show him the door at the end of the season. Otherwise he becomes a cancer at the club.

Colin Sylvia gets one match and $5000 for violating a curfew which has been in place only a week and then having it splattered across the front of the Age sports section. This is a very soft penalty.

I find it bemusing that someone who is nearing ‘bust’ status can’t (or does not want) to get it together.

Can anyone find some positive news out there about the club?????

He is a footballer, a footballer that stuffed up and has been punished. How many posters have had a sick day with out being sick, what is the difference both jobs but he cant do it but we all can. Just because he is employed by the club it doesn't means the club owns the player. He missed a day of work because he was hung over bad yes but not as bad as some of the posters here are making it out to be.

The club has bigger problems than this like how the Kangaroos have generated approx $1million more in Membership revenue than us and it is our 150th year. The club focuses on Col Sylvia stuffing up but there are bigger issue like the profitability of the club and our poor membership figures we are over 4,000 members behing the second lowest Vic team, that is a story.

He is a footballer, a footballer that stuffed up and has been punished. How many posters have had a sick day with out being sick, what is the difference both jobs but he cant do it but we all can. Just because he is employed by the club it doesn't means the club owns the player. He missed a day of work because he was hung over bad yes but not as bad as some of the posters here are making it out to be.

OMG.

If he wants to be a every day man, he is more then welcome to apply to work with me.

He's a AFL player and when you sign on, there are conditions. You are representing your club and your conduct will be scrutinize . It comes with the territory.

Quit if you want to be Joe Blow.

So Jacey and AFL footballer isn't an every day man, what a load of rubbish, it is their chosen profession, they are the lucky ones that get to do it. They are not super human beings with no faults, every body makes mistakes, he has been punished move on. It's like his first written warning at the end of the year if he doesn't perform or has other issue then sack him. Don't hang him yet.

The club has bigger problems than this like how the Kangaroos have generated approx $1million more in Membership revenue than us and it is our 150th year. The club focuses on Col Sylvia stuffing up but there are bigger issue like the profitability of the club and our poor membership figures we are over 4,000 members behing the second lowest Vic team, that is a story.

Sorry, but that train of thought is old and outdated. He is a commodity and a valued one at that. And while we are struggling at a club level, stupid, moronic and immature acts like Sylvia's does nothing to help our situation.

DUMB,DUMB,DUMB...

The problem is it isnt Nov or December its a week before the season, Good to see he was focused, lol.

So Jacey and AFL footballer isn't an every day man, what a load of rubbish, it is their chosen profession, they are the lucky ones that get to do it. They are not super human beings with no faults, every body makes mistakes, he has been punished move on. It's like his first written warning at the end of the year if he doesn't perform or has other issue then sack him. Don't hang him yet.

They aren't every day men.

You made the analogy, it was like getting smashed and taking a sickie the next day. Everybody does it, why can't Colin?

When you sign that contract worth 6 figures, you sign with terms and conditions.

Don't [censored] about how everyone else gets away with it.

........ How many posters have had a sick day with out being sick, what is the difference both jobs but he cant do it but we all can. Just because he is employed by the club it doesn't means the club owns the player.

yep...chucked a sickie...for sure. And i knew it was wrong. I tell ya what..If someone 's working for me and tries that trick and I find out...they are on notice that they are on short plank to a new job. ( moral..dont take the p!ss out of your employer !!)

He is employed by the club.. It on him , his onus to front the club and provide himself in the best of form during the period contracted for. Thats what he is paid for. There is NO room in todays pacey game for rogues/larrikins/likely lads who think they (alone ) can still perform whilst going out on the turps to all hours.. that kind of player belongs in some country town.

You crack a sickie..and to compound it , go out on the p!ss and fail to do the work Im paying you for... well.... hope you enjoy your next job !!

The Club.. Gardner, Bailey, Connolly need to front the group with a very simple message. This isnt tolerated ..not one iota. Anyone flouting this WILL NOT be at Melbourne very long !!

Its very simple..VERY !!

am i one of the few who is seeing a positive to this? if in past years the incidents have been swept under the carpet, that is probably the reason we have a culture problem. if in past years players have gone un punished for both major and minor indiscretions, that is probably why we have a culture problem. with a new coach and a leadership group with new powers, the club seems to be slowly saying 'no thats not good enough'. it is a culture change. it might take 12 months for it to sink in to players that they cant stuff up, that they have to work harder, that they cant be hoons. it might take them 12 months to learn DB's game plan properly and execute everything. but at least we are seeing actions punished instead of left alone. at least we are showing players they are responsible for their actions. lets see if morton or maric do that now? and risk missing their debut? i don't think so. it will take time. we are seeing it happen. in 3 years we will know if its successful.

There is no doubt a 'sort' of positive abou thtis. That its being addressed as opposed to covered. That is good. However it in itslef is only of a spectatorish effort. Its reactive. Th eproblem is still one Colin Sylvia ( and some mates 0 who think they are just a bit clever. They have a "failure to comprehend". They just dont get it. Maybe its a poassing thing. We can only hope. But Sylvia has been in the fold for 5 years now. He's no newbie wet behind the ears. ( nor is Macca) They simply should both know and understand bettter.

I agree it will take a while for this to sink in as a club. But this guy gets no more chances for mine.

he can go join his mate at Freo for all I care

am i one of the few who is seeing a positive to this? if in past years the incidents have been swept under the carpet, that is probably the reason we have a culture problem. if in past years players have gone un punished for both major and minor indiscretions, that is probably why we have a culture problem. with a new coach and a leadership group with new powers, the club seems to be slowly saying 'no thats not good enough'. it is a culture change. it might take 12 months for it to sink in to players that they cant stuff up, that they have to work harder, that they cant be hoons. it might take them 12 months to learn DB's game plan properly and execute everything. but at least we are seeing actions punished instead of left alone. at least we are showing players they are responsible for their actions. lets see if morton or maric do that now? and risk missing their debut? i don't think so. it will take time. we are seeing it happen. in 3 years we will know if its successful.

Its naive to think a high profile footballer can go out on the town and not be seen by either MFC contacts, the media or the general public and have the matter easily swept under the carpet without the ensuing media frenzy and the lynching mob of supporters on talkback and websites like this.

I don't disagree with his punishment, all I'm saying he has been punished move on, don't cry out for him to be traded, that he is no good, he has broken the rules been punished now lets see what he shows over the next 25 weeks and judge him them. I will bet that if he comes out in round 2 and plays a blinda people on this site will be calling him a superstar and how good is he. We are very quick to judged someone and even quicker to change our opinion. I also agree that you shouldn't take the [censored] out of your employer but how many 18-23 yo's have done this. These players are no different from any one except the get paid well. They are still young men that make mistakes.

Well lets all hope he can actually show us what he's promised.

Mistakes have consequences.

A good friend of mine plays for the Hawks. He hasn't drunken for the past month as he is tyring to solidfy his spot for rd1 against us but he was hitting it hard on saturday night and was up till all hours. I suppose what Im trying to say is going out is fine and getting smashed once in a while but it has to be in moderation.

How does that prove that going out and staying up until all hours getting smashed is okay? :o

If he wants to be a every day man, he is more then welcome to apply to work with me.

He's a AFL player and when you sign on, there are conditions. You are representing your club and your conduct will be scrutinize . It comes with the territory.

Well said.

Selfish, stupid and immature!

I agree entirely.

Its naive to think a high profile footballer can go out on the town and not be seen by either MFC contacts, the media or the general public and have the matter easily swept under the carpet without the ensuing media frenzy and the lynching mob of supporters on talkback and websites like this.

are you suggesting that this sort of behaviour has not occured in the past 10 years, and is new to DB's reign?

are you suggesting that this sort of behaviour has not occured in the past 10 years, and is new to DB's reign?

Given the size of Melbourne and the high profile nature of AFL footballers, it would be hard to maintain such practices without it a1) getting back to the Club 2) being sprayed over a website like Big Footy or here and 3) the media not finding out and having a frenzy on it. Some of piddling things that the media have crucified players for the sake of a story has been appalling. I find it hard to believe a Club can sustain that behaviour, condone in any way that behaviour, hush up the incidents and believe they can get away with it.

On the other hand what evidence do you have to suggest otherwise?The culture and leadership at the Club has been an issue. But not to the extent of covering things up.

I agree that it will not be fixed overnight and may take two years at least to address the issues at hand.