Mike Sheahans Top 50 of all Time

Mousey

You only have to look at Robbie's performances when he played for Victoria to realise in a good side he was one of the best... he didn't do it just once - he was always in the best players every time he played for Victoria in very, very strong teams. Call me parochial, but as much as many North fans admire Schimma, Flower would give him a bath every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I know many non-dees who feel the same way. It's Mike's list so it's his call, but if you look up "The Encyclopedia of League Footballers" the first paragraph on Robert Flower says it all:

"Acknowledged as the best player in the VFL, pound for pound, over one and a half decades of consumate artistry."

Robbie Flower represents everything that is worth watching in football. Anyone that wouldn't have him in their top 20 should go and watch some tapes and come back with their tales between their legs.

I'd also prefer someone like Jack Dyer's assessment of Barassi compared to Whitten. Dyer regarded Barassi as the real Mr Football - Whitten was better at selling himself, RDB just cared about winning - something that Ted rarely achieved even in his time with the big V.

It's probably not available but if anyone wants confirmation of how good Robbie Flower was get hold of the interstate clash between Vic and WA at Waverley way back. Flower played wing in a superb team and dominated to the point that he took the ball behind the half back flank (and it was a big ground) ran, baulked, handballed, ran forward continually, received again, gave off, found space, got the ball yet again and goaled. An absolutely sublime moment of football skill.

I was at that game and to this day it's one of my greatest thrills and proudest moments as a Dees supporter.

Imo Flower was a superior wingman to Greig. I've always highly rated midfielders that kick goals. Flower's 315 goals from 272 games stacks up pretty well against Greig's 48 from 294. But it's just not the goals that separated them. Flower's best was better.

Top 50

No Robbie Flower, and putting Ben Cousins in the list oh well yeah discuss.

Sheahan includes oldies like the Coventrys, Haydn Bunton, Jack Mueller, Jack Dyer and others. Surely he could have judged them only on hearsay as he would not have seen them play. He should have only named the players HE has seen in action. The list could then be called The Top 50 players of MY TIME. Barassi is far far too low on his list. He should have been up there with Whitten 3 or 4. John Coleman too is far too low on the list.

You only have to look at Robbie's performances when he played for Victoria to realise in a good side he was one of the best... he didn't do it just once he was always in the best players every time he played for Victoria in very, very strong teams. Call me parochial, but as much as many North fans admire Schimma, Flower would give him a bath every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I know many non-dees who feel the same way. It's Mike's list so it's his call, but if you look up "The Encyclopedia of League Footballers" the first paragraph on Robert Flower says it all:

"Acknowledged as the best player in the VFL, pound for pound, over one and a half decades of consumate artistry."

I'd also prefer someone like Jack Dyer's assessment of Barassi compared to Whitten. Dyer regarded Barassi as the real Mr Football - Whitten was better at selling himself, RBD just cared about winning - something that Ted rarely achieved even in his time with the big V.

Dyer repeated that story often. He thought it was cruel that RDB was given second placing behind Ted who touted himself without any modesty. Dyer didnt come at Teddy and Lou's immense self appraisals.

Barass always had a modicum of modesty about his achievements. Or he tried to anyway.

Anyway I saw most of them play, but I was too young to assess Ron.

I saw Lethal at his best and I saw Ablett and Carey at their best.

I put Leigh Matthews (who as I pieboy at the MCG I saw often) and Gary Ablett as the best I witnessed.

I dont know who's on third base because these two were a fair way out in front.

It would be out of Williams and Carey I guess.

i dont rate the Doulls Walls and ayres who were luxutiating in flanks when they should have been CHB/CHF.

I cant split Flower and Daicos as favorites because their play was truely inspiring and they would be in my top ten.

Thanks for listening....

You're all bias. Had a player of Flower's calibre from another team that sucked majorly over the same period was included, you'd all be throwing sticks and burning stacks outside Sheahans house. I'm saying, you can be good, but the reason the man is barely brought up in UN-BIAS conversation of the best ever players is because he played on a terrible team and couldn't lead them to success. It's the same in every sport. Sheahans list is consistent and accurate, and he didn't let his support of Melbourne get the best of him like most of you. It has nothing to do with me not seeing him grow up, but me knowing he didn't achieve anything outside of the club while he played. And YES that does have influence.

PS. Just quietly, who likes my new icon? :P

you icon is fine its your brain thats not working. Robbie was a champion.

I understand it was an opinion piece, however a few selections don't sit well with me:

Jason Dunstall - Pick 5: Dunstall played in the golden era at Hawthorn surrounded by quality across the park. Put him in any other side and his goal output would have decreased significantly. My memories of JD were of a one dimensional goal machine. I appreciate he was a consistent performer and one of the greatest goal kickers, however the 5th greatest of all time is a massive overstatement. I would have thought late teens more appropriate.

Bill Hutchison - Pick 12: Bill Who?

James Hird - Pick 20. As much as I despise the man and the club, he was a freak who did it all. Like Matthews he could play in any position and had an amazing impact on his team mates. I find it difficult to comprehend 19 players better than James.

Stephen Kernahan - Pick 33: Like Dunstall, played in a successful era. Imagine Chris Grant at his prime played in that Carlton side. Mike would probably slot him in the top 10. Included at the expense of Greig, Flower. Get serious Mike.

Ben Cousins - Pick 42: What? Have you been on the crack pipe as well Mikey? A ball magnet and a model of the modern midfielder however how can you rate a career cut short so highly? Mike your clearly trying to spice up your list here. Cousins wouldn’t figure in my top 100, and would be well behind the great A Jakovich!

Dyer repeated that story often. He thought it was cruel that RDB was given second placing behind Ted who touted himself without any modesty. Dyer didnt come at Teddy and Lou's immense self appraisals.

Barass always had a modicum of modesty about his achievements. Or he tried to anyway.

Anyway I saw most of them play, but I was too young to assess Ron.

I saw Lethal at his best and I saw Ablett and Carey at their best.

I put Leigh Matthews (who as I pieboy at the MCG I saw often) and Gary Ablett as the best I witnessed.Yep, OK.

I dont know who's on third base because these two were a fair way out in front.

It would be out of Williams and Carey I guess. Top 10.

i dont rate the Doulls Walls and ayres who were luxutiating in flanks when they should have been CHB/CHF. Doull was a champ.

I cant split Flower and Daicos as favorites because their play was truely inspiring and they would be in my top ten.

My way of dealing with these decisions is to ponder them playing against one another, (one on one), IMO flower would kill daics, also bartlett (9) wouldn't get a sniff, is the player to stop Hird, better than Buckley & Schimmer, the only one who would give him some trouble would be Matera because of his explosive speed.

Spot on Bob, I to was there that day with my Saints supporting mates & Flower was playing against that WA champion Brian Peake, he gave him a bath then towled him down. FLOWER WAS A GUN of the biggest caliber.

When Barassi was coaching the Dees he'd play Flower @ CHB on Ross Glendinning who was a star back then & Flower would show him how.

I recall that game also, but I'm pretty sure that Flower toweled up Maurice Rioli, whilst on the other wing Peake killed Greig. After the game, Peake was being rated as the best footballer in the country! Barassi also played Flower at fullback on Malcolm Blight. I think Blight had kicked 7 before Barassi moved Flower.

Some people seem to forget that Greig and Bourke played close to 10 years each in the backline. How they made team of the century wingmen was beyond me. The wingman that Flower had the best duels with was Micky Turner. I rate Peter Matera alongside Flower as the best wingman I've seen.

Guest unstable punt
I actually don't see any value in naming a list such as this. Same goes for Sheehan's annual top 50. Maybe Sheehan should pick a team? At least then we can argue about positions etc. Not just who is better than who?

its rubbish starting with the first pick, Matthews was by far the best player, Sheahan is like schoolkid when it comes to Carey, Carey maybe 4th or 5th, and Dunstall 5th? give me a break

its rubbish starting with the first pick, Matthews was by far the best player, Sheahan is like schoolkid when it comes to Carey, Carey maybe 4th or 5th, and Dunstall 5th? give me a break

It's a tough gig compling any such list of footballers but if Robbie Flower was downgraded in Sheahan's estimation for what he might not have achieved during his career (due to playing in a dud side) then he had Ron Barassi far too low down on his list. I would have him top 5 any day on those criteria. Six flags in ten years, a couple as captain and an inspirational player during all those years who was rarely beaten. Of course, if I had my way, he'd still be playing now. :rolleyes:

Flower was good, but look at what he did. Nothing. Don't flame, but you have to consider that the man didn't win a premiership in his time at Melbourne. He was a part of one of the worst era's by any team in the history of aussie rules. I thought it was lucky he was included as the ones who just missed out. I mean, didn't win a brownlow, premiership or anything else outside of Melbourne.

I bet you never saw him play did you?

I can't believe that the weagles have produced 3 top 50 players in their 20 year history with 3 premierships, while the dees can only muster 2 in 110 years of VFL/AFL and 12 premierships. Mike Sheahan was, is and always be a moron :angry:

What about Ron Barassi Jnr? Shouldnt he at least be top 10. How many Premiership sides was he in charge of?? Please Mike and you profess to "Barrack" for Melbourne. Oh and i would have Gary Ablett at 1. Even though he was an evil bastard behind the play.

Flower was good, but look at what he did. Nothing. Don't flame, but you have to consider that the man didn't win a premiership in his time at Melbourne. He was a part of one of the worst era's by any team in the history of aussie rules. I thought it was lucky he was included as the ones who just missed out. I mean, didn't win a brownlow, premiership or anything else outside of Melbourne.

Please don't insult my intelligence. You obviously never witnessed Flower wearing a Victorian Jumper. Saw him play his first game in '73, i was about 9, and my Dad said "watch no. 2 I've heard good things about him". It's great as a kid when ya dad gives advice that comes true.

You only have to look at Robbie's performances when he played for Victoria to realise in a good side he was one of the best... he didn't do it just once - he was always in the best players every time he played for Victoria in very, very strong teams. Call me parochial, but as much as many North fans admire Schimma, Flower would give him a bath every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I know many non-dees who feel the same way. It's Mike's list so it's his call, but if you look up "The Encyclopedia of League Footballers" the first paragraph on Robert Flower says it all:

Robbie Flower represents everything that is worth watching in football. Anyone that wouldn't have him in their top 20 should go and watch some tapes and come back with their tales between their legs.

I'd also prefer someone like Jack Dyer's assessment of Barassi compared to Whitten. Dyer regarded Barassi as the real Mr Football - Whitten was better at selling himself, RDB just cared about winning - something that Ted rarely achieved even in his time with the big V.

Well said, Grazman!