THE DRAFT WRAP UP

Whispering_Jack

# 4 CALE MORTON (CLAREMONT)

DOB 18/01/1990

HEIGHT 191.5 CM

WEIGHT 78.7 KG

POSITION Midfielder/Forward

BIO: Midfielder/forward who is a long penetrating kick and a good winner of the ball both in the air and at ground level. Had outstanding NAB AFL U18 Championships winning Larke Medal (Div 1 B & F) and All-Australian honours. Highlighted his aerobic capabilities at the NAB AFL Draft Camp recording a 15.2 Beep Test Result (ranked No.1), along with a 10.32sec for 3km - putting him in the top 4 per cent of 2007 participants.

STATS: Kicks: 16, Handballs: 9, Disposals: 25, Marks: 9, Goals: 2 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

Morton is interviewed by the Herald Sun's Jon Ralph here.

# 14 JACK GRIMES (NORTHERN KNIGHTS)

DOB 11/05/1989

HEIGHT 186.3 CM

WEIGHT 81.6 KG

POSITION Medium Defender

BIO: Hard-working and versatile player with great endurance and decision-making skills. Fine leader who won All-Australian honours this year. AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Hurstbridge F.C.

STATS Kicks: 13, Handballs: 3, Disposals: 16, Marks: 2, Goals: 3 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

# 21 ADDAM MARIC (CALDER CANNONS)

DOB 18/04/1990

HEIGHT 177.9 CM

WEIGHT 76.8 KG

POSITION Small/Medium Forward

BIO: Smart forward who is exceptional around goals and a long, accurate kick. Strong over the ball, he won All-Australian honours this year. Graduate of the AIS/AFL Academy. From Greenvale F.C.

STATS: Kicks: 11, Handballs: 4, Disposals: 15, Marks: 3, Goals: 3 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

# 53 KYLE CHENEY (NORTH BALLARAT REBELS)

DOB 25/08/1989

HEIGHT 184.6 CM

WEIGHT 86.2 KG

POSITION Medium Defender

BIO: Skilful medium defender who had an injury-interrupted start to the 2007 season before finishing off the year in great fashion.

# 66 TOM MCNAMARA (SOUTH ADELAIDE)

DOB 29/04/1990

HEIGHT 190.1 CM

WEIGHT 84 KG

POSITION Tall Defender

BIO: Good reader of the play who marks well in contested situations. Has good vision and makes sound decisions. SA U18 representative this year and an AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

STATS: Kicks: 8, Handballs: 6, Disposals: 14, Marks: 2, Goals: 0 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

is there a t.v. show wrap up of the draft at all today?!?!?!?!

if so, when and what channel

Yep, 5pm on one of the Foxsports (3 I think). Too bad for people who don't have access. I don't think there is one on free-to-air.

Morton is 192cm, he's as tall as Neita.

People keep on saying - you gotta be 195+ to play FF, CHF, CHB, FB.

Honestly, you let people take an inch...

Except that he has the tank to play in the midfield - Finished first in Beep-test.

What a great result for the MFC. Morton was becoming more and more likely to get to us as draft day approached and I for one am unbelievably excited at his ability as a footballer. If we can fix up Grimes' kicking technique then he will somewhat similar to McLean in his hardness and leadership qualities; and the recruitment of Maric as a small forward who will be able to work effectively at stoppages gives us another option up forward - AND his kicking technique is seemingly flawless. At the time I was a tad surprised that we passed on Rance at 14 but Grimes seems to be a likely type (Also is a diehard Melbourne supporter, which I love ;)). Seems like the trading of TJ will be worth it in the long term, especially now with the coup of Morton who's footskills are on par with Johnstone's, if not more penetrating and consistent. Great day, go Dees in 2008.

Slightly off topic, but anyone else find it disturbing that these new batch of kids are mostly 90's children? :o

Every year it shocks me how young these kids really are (and how old I am :wacko: ). I think it's important that we keep that in mind when placing huge expectations on them, especially the early picks like Morton. At 17 I could barely handle homework, let alone a full time job with high demands.

hey guys just watched the wrap up on Fox... very happy with Morton i wanted him or Palmer who i cant believe slipped to 7 (lucky freo) to get Marric at 21 is great as well.... i thought we had pick 12 and had snared Rioli and was wrapped but then remember we were 14.... to get Maricc who is similar to Rioli with the ability to kick goals is so exciting:)

i dont know about Grimes, cant believe we passed up a key defender sitting there in Rance... y did he slip so much.... i think it would have been perfect if we had gone UTILITY (Morton) BACK (Rance) GOAL SNEAK (Marric) we really need defenders... a bit dissapointed we went for another hard working midfielded IMO.... spewin we just missed that pick 11 guy Verzampi??

But very happy with 4 and 21 Morton and Marric

Morton is 192cm, he's as tall as Neita.

People keep on saying - you gotta be 195+ to play FF, CHF, CHB, FB.

Honestly, you let people take an inch...

he is probably still growing anyway, but a bit light isnt he?

no-one can doubt we picked up 3 quality player at 4,14 and 21.

pick 4 in Morton there was no doubt because he's such a quality propect that we had no choice but to pick him.

however while i'm very happy with Grimes and Maric, i'd love to hear CAC's explanation as to why we went for these players over highly rated key position players in alex Rance or Tayte Pears.

didn't CAC feel the need to pick 1 one KPP?

with that said, i think Grimes and Maric were best available at 14 and 21, and at the end of the day i'd prefer us to take the best player available at each pick, because a great midfielder is better than an average KPP.

doesn't CAC ussually visit demonland and explain his rationale behind picks?

Slightly off topic, but anyone else find it disturbing that these new batch of kids are mostly 90's children? :o

I have been dreading this day. You see I am only just an 80s kid. Now footballers' DOBs are in a different decade altogether. I'm old...

however while i'm very happy with Grimes and Maric, i'd love to hear CAC's explanation as to why we went for these players over highly rated key position players in alex Rance or Tayte Pears.

doesn't CAC ussually visit demonland and explain his rationale behind picks?

CAC had already gone on the record saying he'd take best available with the first 3 picks. Looking at the landscape he absolutely did that. Grimes was perhaps a place or two lower than expected, Morton was a gem and Maric was, for mine, the last player in the draft that would attract envy from other recruiters and supporters. After him it's all horses for courses. Personally, I'm thrilled we didn't add yet another KPP player with question marks. We have so many that have holes in their games, and even some that are still looking like they may not go the journey. Just because you take Rance at 14 doesn't mean he'll play like a KP taken at 14 in last year's draft. Yes we need big guys, but it would be more damaging having a mediocre big guy taking up space on the list.

CAC and co. will probably make a visit in the coming weeks when everything's settled. I imagine he has a lot to do at the moment.

I have heard Morton is pretty handy, but I just HATE the fact he is a non Victorian. I really do, something eats away at me when you use a top pick on a kid who could turn around and break hearts when he becomes "home sick". Fingers crossed he is ready and WILLING to commit to the MFC.

I wouldn't say Pears is a true KPP, he is only 190cm and we have plenty of undersized key defenders as it is. With Rance, no one else took him with a first round pick so you think whatever pushed him down the order all the other clubs agreed with CAC.

Morton's two brothers are in victoria (Mitch and Jarrod) and his parents are moving to victoria to be with their children...

no go-home factor so u dont have to be worried

Spot on. Morton's home is moving to him.

Besides, for every Scott Thompson that has crawled home there's a Jared Rivers, Daniel Bell and Ricky Petterd that are on record saying that Melbourne is now their home. It's always a risk but it's a minute one, and really depends on the kid in question.

It's definitely not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Player managers Paul Connors and Dan Richardson were on SEN for an hour discussing the draft, club by club.

Paul Connors reaction to Melbourne's picks was "We brained em". Both were very upbeat about our selections. Connors suggested that had Morton gone to WC at pick 3, we would have picked up Grimes at 4.

Every year it shocks me how young these kids really are (and how old I am :wacko: ). I think it's important that we keep that in mind when placing huge expectations on them, especially the early picks like Morton. At 17 I could barely handle homework, let alone a full time job with high demands.

That scares the hell out of me Jaded!! my eldest 2 were bore in late 90s!! they were working out on the weekend that if they make the draft they in 9 years time they could be able to play with Aaron, Brocky and Jonesy for MFC. Wud be great if they could. Im hoping wheelchair access at the G is still free then!!!