Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Today

dazzledavey36

Did anyone go today? It would be nice for a brief report on how some of the guys are going. I wonder if anyone has bulked up at all and how are Meesen's skills??

Thanks

According to the "our" webpage training today 16/11 was at Trinity @ 10.30.

Not a Melbourne player in sight, only Kangaroos players. Good work MFC. :rolleyes:

According to the "our" webpage training today 16/11 was at Trinity @ 10.30.

Not a Melbourne player in sight, only Kangaroos players. Good work MFC. :rolleyes:

If you want to watch Melbourne's training then it might be an idea to consult the Kangaroos' website first.

Either that, or go to the Gold Coast.

No wonder Juda$ didn't want to come to us. It's a long bikeride to Trinity for nothing (I assume an environmental spokesperson wouldn't be driving).

Further, On my return, around 11-30, I checked the website to make sure that I wasn't doing a BC, and it still

stated "Trinity 10-30.

I have just revisited the site and it now says "Junction Oval 10-30" Why change it well after the fact, and lastly, IT WASN'T AT JUNCTION EITHER, IT WAS A F'ING MONASH.

Guest MFC4Life
No wonder Juda$ didn't want to come to us. It's a long bikeride to Trinity for nothing (I assume an environmental spokesperson wouldn't be driving).

"when I walked in at the Junction Oval it smelled like a footy club. It smelled like there'd been a fair bit of sweat on the floor and in the gym and I know it's not the most flashy facility going around, such as what Adelaide and Port Adelaide have got, but it really smelled like a footy club and I reckon' that's an important thing to have! A weight is a weight regardless of how shiny it is boys. It still weighs the same..."

Bailey, 2007.

I'm with ya, Redfin.

I had to hand in a few things at Monash Uni, so I thought I'd go down Wednesday morning as the website had the Dees training at Monash at 10am. No one was there at 10:30 and after I did my few things, I checked again at 11:30 and there was nothing.

Yours would make it the third time the website has got it wrong this pre-season. It's not good enough. We are a club with a low membership base; we can't afford to frustrate passionate fans who make the time to watch a pre-season training session.

I don't know whose fault it is. But it should be rectified ASAP. It's unprofessional and simply not good enough for a club trying to grow its supporter and member base.

We are a club with a low membership base; we can't afford to frustrate passionate fans who make the time to watch a pre-season training session.

Without meaning to split hairs Scoop, I doubt the "passionate" supporters that are going down to watch training in November are the type who would tear up their membership at the slightest inconvenience.

That said, I fully agree with your point and believe the club should do better.

Guest MFC4Life

Agree Scoop,

Not only sad for the few fans that may want to go at this time of the year but I find it incerdibly sad that the club has no idea where it is training an hour before it is meant to hit the track.

Its simply astounding that this is still going on.

Kew Rovers have a home base for f%&!'s sake!

Without meaning to split hairs Scoop, I doubt the "passionate" supporters that are going down to watch training in November are the type who would tear up their membership at the slightest inconvenience.

That said, I fully agree with your point and believe the club should do better.

I consider myself a passionate supporter, and it is for that exact reason that I get this [censored] off at this sort of thing.

It's difficult for me to get to training because of work (duhh) but today I have a day off and relished the opportunity to get a sniff of the pre season, alas, the dissapointment of 2007 continues.

This happens time after time year in year out, and it's usually a combination of these seemingly small things which lead people to consider whether this is a club worth trying to support.

It's completely up to the individual to make that choice, because I believe "the club" don't give a stuff about the supporters, and do very little to entice support. Giving me a scarf/hat/cushion and all that [censored] isn't what I want, I want to be able to see the players of the club I support showing me why I love football.

They would much rather have 1 fat Freddy sitting in the members that contributed a [censored] load of money and doesn't know any players, rather than 200+ of the likes of people on here an Ology who can recite every passage of play since '64 and earlier, sit through every game good and bad, rain hail or shine, and like to get to training on the odd occasion.

Guest MFC4Life
It's completely up to the individual to make that choice, because I believe "the club" don't give a stuff about the supporters.

They would much rather have 1 fat Freddy sitting in the members that contributed a [censored] load of money and doesn't know any players, rather than 200+ of the likes of people on here an Ology who can recite every passage of play since '64 and earlier, sit through every game good and bad, rain hail or shine, and like to get to training on the odd occasion.

Agree. It makes one feel very alienated.

The lesson is, ring the club in the morning and ask whether training has been moved.

I drive past Junction nearly every day, and half the time the place is abandoned, or you'll see the players training at very obscure hours (i.e.- yesterday mid afternoon).

It's annoying that they can't get it right, I agree. Mind you that whole website is a complete farce!

Well my dad come up from Morwell last Friday and we went out there to have a look and same thing Redfin.

I was pretty pissed off too.

It's not just the ultra passionate ones who go out of their way and travel long distances that miss out. There are those like Redfin, Scoop Junior, Finks (when he's not otherwise being entertained :lol: ) and condemned who will not only go to training but they will also report back to this site on their observations and photos. Often their views are preferred to press reports etc in the media and even on the club website because they are the views of the supporters and they're often no holds barred and provide a more basic assessment without the BS. That means many of our visitors here miss out.

Sampi didn't train with the main group, was in the rehab squab with Davey, Moloney, Newton and one other, who I thought was Bartram but not 100% sure on that

Majority of what I saw was a heavy focus towards kicking drills with either side - Jeff White remains the most technically correct and efficient user of the ball.

Meesen moves very well for a big man, looked fit and used the ball reasonably well.

Weetra is a really likely athletic type, his skills were OK too.

Frawley's kicking is substandard for AFL football, his left foot is abysmal, so the hope is definitely that he can be a human blanket on opposition forwards, Garland also has technical kicking problems, but moves well.

Valenti and Summers both trained well and used the ball neatly, you would think given that he has trained with us before that Summers must be close to a rookie spot as an over 23 year old selection.

Not really much else to mention, they moved to the other side of the ground and did agility reflex work with some tennis ball games.

Sampi didn't train with the main group, was in the rehab squab with Davey, Moloney, Newton and one other, who I thought was Bartram but not 100% sure on that

Majority of what I saw was a heavy focus towards kicking drills with either side - Jeff White remains the most technically correct and efficient user of the ball.

Meesen moves very well for a big man, looked fit and used the ball reasonably well.

Weetra is a really likely athletic type, his skills were OK too.

Frawley's kicking is substandard for AFL football, his left foot is abysmal, so the hope is definitely that he can be a human blanket on opposition forwards, Garland also has technical kicking problems, but moves well.

Valenti and Summers both trained well and used the ball neatly, you would think given that he has trained with us before that Summers must be close to a rookie spot as an over 23 year old selection.

Not really much else to mention, they moved to the other side of the ground and did agility reflex work with some tennis ball games.

Thanks for that goodoil but how did you find out about training?

I consider myself a passionate supporter, and it is for that exact reason that I get this [censored] off at this sort of thing.

It's difficult for me to get to training because of work (duhh) but today I have a day off and relished the opportunity to get a sniff of the pre season, alas, the dissapointment of 2007 continues.

This happens time after time year in year out, and it's usually a combination of these seemingly small things which lead people to consider whether this is a club worth trying to support.

It's completely up to the individual to make that choice, because I believe "the club" don't give a stuff about the supporters, and do very little to entice support. Giving me a scarf/hat/cushion and all that [censored] isn't what I want, I want to be able to see the players of the club I support showing me why I love football.

Spot On Redfin!!! totally agree. Worrying signs the MFC Admin is falling back into the old self satisfied mode and slipping up on the old basic service to its members -yet again!! I am experiencing in another aspect at the moment & is very frustrating to those supporters who are passionate demons..WE ALL count!!!

Obviously the players knew where training was, so it shouldn't have been too hard to put a note on the website about the correct venue. Who's to blame? The footy dept? The office staff? Who else should be charged with the responsibility of informing the Club's real diehard supporters of what's going on? Perhaps they think they don't need to worry......they'll never lose those fanatics!

Spot On Redfin!!! totally agree. Worrying signs the MFC Admin is falling back into the old self satisfied mode and slipping up on the old basic service to its members -yet again!! I am experiencing in another aspect at the moment & is very frustrating to those supporters who are passionate demons..WE ALL count!!!

Do you ever say anything positive about the MFC Tony? Every one of your posts is negative towards the club in some way.

I don't mean to single you out TonyMelb but comments like these and some of the others above; "falling back into the old self satisfied mode and slipping up on the old basic service to its members -yet again!!" sound like EXACTLY what the 'passionate' fans on this site are doing!!!

Having a good whinge about the situation without offering a solution to the problem. :wacko:

I will play devil's advocate and say that the club response will be "we don't control the website".

Here's a possible solution.

Perhaps those who MAY be able to slip past a training session or two regularly should do us all the courtesy of ringing the club the day before and POSTING THE TIMES AND LOCATIONS HERE instead of relying on the 'club' website.

Surely that can't be too hard for diehard passionate supporters who seem so concerned about those fringe supporters who might want to see the boys train over the summer period and not end up dissappointed, is it?

Another solution is..perhaps the club could be encouraged to email the administrators of this site with the up to date information?

I'll do my bit and post the dates and times if and when I can get to a training session in Bulleen......which won't be too often unfortunately.

Let's get on the front foot and make a difference to OUR club rather than whinge and WAIT for someone else to change it.

GO DEES - "insert your own 2008 catchy, upbeat, rhyming jongle here" :lol:

Thanks for that goodoil but how did you find out about training?

I rang up - the people at the office are always helpful, so if you are going to go make sure you ring. Watching preseason is always hit and miss though, they could have spent the day in the gym and pool today and I wouldnt have seen anything.

I am sorry, but it is up to the club to supply the info about when the club trains, think about it for a moment, when you want people to become involved you supply the most amount of info that you can provide, whether that is by SMS, email, etc that is the world we live by now. If tis club wants to reach the top then they will have to get on the front foot and think outside the square.

I went to training yesterday. After previous disappointments I now ring the club first on 96521111 to confirm location.

The rehab group as previous indicated by Goodoil concentrated on handball drills and with asst coach Williams starting by throwing one or two balls at and between the players who are staggered in a semi-circle fronting Williams. He then progresses to drilling mongrel kicks from close range to improve reflexes, ball handling etc. The player who misses the ball or fumbles it goes to the far left and when time is up the player who is at the far right side is deemed the winner - of what

I don't know.

The fit players were split into several competing groups (tops vs skins) and did a number of drills from touch footy style, one with tennis balls and another with footballs (handballing). Others did kicking drills and/or running drills similar to a beep test however instead on all being in a line it appeared they each ran a separate 'u' shaped track. As compared to previous years it appeared the players were doing a fair bit of running as part of these exercises. There was no 'all in' running drills. In another exercise groups of 4 players, lead by a captain, had to run and handball across the width of the oval running criss-cross patterns to avoid two defenders. Several teams were put through this drill and then it was expanded to two teams combining to avoid up to six defenders.

While Sampi was with the rehab group (with Davey along with the others id'd by Goodoil) both he and the other players were definitely including and accepting of him. He appeared to be enjoying himself - as did Davey in particular. It will be interesting to see him when he joins in training proper.

In all they trained for in excess of 2 hrs and it was pretty hot.