• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Captaincy

Freddy Fuschia

I've been thinking about this for some time and I've concluded that it's in the interests of the club and of our skipper for many years that we have a change of captain for next year.

The winds of change are blowing through the club as it is and with Neita in his final years I think the club should be looking at a role similar to that which Alistair Lynch had in his last two or three eyars with the Lions. He was used in the last line of attack and used sparingly. He was often rested during a match and usually missed the long interstate trips. As a result Brisbane got the most out of him and it extended his career. The same should be done with Neita but it can only be done if he takes off the mantle of official team leader - he's going to lead in his own way on the forward line whether or not he has the title!

Despite those altercations overseas and his ordinary leadership debut against the Tigers this year, I'd give the job to Brock McLean - he has what it takes.

Despite those altercations overseas and his ordinary leadership debut against the Tigers this year, I'd give the job to Brock McLean - he has what it takes.

Good points Freddy, and I agree we should be trying to get the most out of Neita. What I've heard and read into the whole caper is that the Europe thing has pretty much cost Brocky any shot he had at the job next year. With that said, however, I think that you can lock him in for the job in 2009, notwithstanding a disastrous season for him in 2007. Which is probably a good course to take, really. I think Brock needs to put another season into his game before he takes on the top leadership role. The noises being made suggest to me that Neitz will be the man again in 08, but that will DEFINITELY be it.

i just think if neita has another injury interrupted season next year we've gone backwards leadership wise... i think the job should be given to Brad Green, then give it to Brock or Nath Jones in about 3 years time...

yes i agree

I'd be happy for McLean to captain the club from next year.

One thing is for certain though, after Neitz I don't want any other captain of the MFC other than Brock McLean.

2008 - Neitz

2009 - McLean (might be a year too soon, if so McDonald for a year or two)

Apologies to Bruce and Green but, as Hannabal implied, you can only follow Neitz with someone with tangible leadership ability.

why not give it to brock mclean this year

we have a new coach, a whole new football department, the list has changed a fair bit, things are chainging off-field, in the board room

for the good of the club, brocky needs to stand up now and take charge of things, and he will be captain for the next 7-10 years!!!

whilst neita mightn't be the captain on paper, do you really think he would change his style and presence around the club? let him "mentor" brock in the role, which would be a better outcome than neita retiring at the end of 2008, and throwing mclean into the deep end with cam bruce and brad green as his 2 senior players to look up to...

brocky for 08

why not give it to brock mclean this year

we have a new coach, a whole new football department, the list has changed a fair bit, things are chainging off-field, in the board room

for the good of the club, brocky needs to stand up now and take charge of things, and he will be captain for the next 7-10 years!!!

whilst neita mightn't be the captain on paper, do you really think he would change his style and presence around the club? let him "mentor" brock in the role, which would be a better outcome than neita retiring at the end of 2008, and throwing mclean into the deep end with cam bruce and brad green as his 2 senior players to look up to...

brocky for 08

As tempting as it may seem, the Captaincy is quite a burden for a bloke who struggled a bit last season, and then got into some embarrassment last month.

It will be especially gruelling for a new captain to take over as the 150 celebrations will mean alot of commitments for the captain and I think the club has come to the realisation that only Neitz could handle it next year.

Some thrive with the pressure of the captaincy, others do not, would brock thrive next year with the added responsibility, i think he would do a good job provided he does not fall into the trap of thinking "i'm captain i have to do everything"

If not Neitz i'd throw chook in the deep end.

I believe we need to take it off Neiter. If he was giving it up we would know by now.

I think we should punt on Green or Bruce and make them live up to the promise.

I cant split them but my gut goes for Green.

Then it is up to brock to wrench it off the incumbent. If he does it in one year, good on him.

I believe Bailey has to influence this issue, in conjuction with the player leadership group.

Rip the scab off it and do it soon.

I will support his input and final decision.

It is best for Nieter, the leadership group and the supporters.

Brock needs to get his head & body right first get back to basics well before any talk of captaincy.

I agree.

You want to be able to invest 110% complete faith in a captain, and I for one wouldn't be able to do that with Brock just yet.

I don't think we can simply say 'Neitz for one more year and then Brock for 2009' because a number of things could happen next year ie. a shocking season from Brock, someone else stepping up to the plate moreso than Brock or, heaven forbid, more off-field antics from Brock.

Now perhaps I'm taking the extreme option here, but I think simply concluding that Brock should captain in '09 when we're currently in 2007 is even more ridiculous.

Speak to me at the end of '08!

I'd be happy for McLean to captain the club from next year.

One thing is for certain though, after Neitz I don't want any other captain of the MFC other than Brock McLean.

Agree 100%

Brock is the best leader we have apart from Neita. Giving the leadership to anyone else will be settling for second best.

So either make Neita go around again, or take a bit of a risk and give it to Brock. What's the worse that could happen?

I think Brock would make a great leader...in a year or 2's time. Some players (and brock may not find this true but) struggle at an early age with being given the captaincy. He struggled in 2007, no fault of his own but i think you can rush a player into being captain and if they fail, it can add some time to their development. Captancy is a big thing and requires a lot of knoweledge about the game and extra effort both on field and off. Im not doubting that brock would be a terrific captain...what he did against st kilda in 06 was inspirational. However i think that there is a good chance a young player with limited afl experience would struggle being given it too early. My choice for captain would be Green or McDonnald.

QFT.

What about Bruce and Green as Co captain for this year only. It would share the load for what will be and arduous year.

I like Brock but I think he is still has to get consistent particularly with his body.

I'd also like to take some of the pressure away from neita let him concemtrate on footy and his aging body.

When is anyone truly ready to become Captain ? This club needs a hard nosed attitude from a hard nosed leader. And if it's a year or so "too soon", so be it.

I'll spew up if Green, Bruce, or anyone else captains this club after Neitz.

When is anyone truly ready to become Captain ? This club needs a hard nosed attitude from a hard nosed leader. And if it's a year or so "too soon", so be it.

I'll spew up if Green, Bruce, or anyone else captains this club after Neitz.

Correct weight, Hannabal! A good leader will step up no matter whether they are "ready" or not. McLean looks the man for the job-and why not next year? New coach, new captain, new era!

...He was used in the last line of attack...

wouldnt that be the first line of attack? lol :unsure:

When is anyone truly ready to become Captain ? ...

im going to go out on a limb here and use the example of brad miller. he looked like being a reasonable footballer with leadership potential until he was talked up by everyone, elevated to the leadership group and made one of the faces of melbourne (ie on the membership cards) which is when he started to struggle.

i agree with you hannabal, good leaders will rise to it, and i think brock will be a good leader. but i dont want to cruel him under an unneeded burden if we dont have to, and i hope the footy dept can sit make and make a decision about whether they think he will survive with the title or not.

on another note, did they wait until February this year to announce if neitz would be captain again? i wonder if that suggests they were thinknig about changing it last year?

I agree that Brock's the logical choice, but think he needs another season. The worry, for me, is that you dont want your captain to be tagged out of a game the way Brock was this year. I have every confidence he'll learn to shake a tagger, but I'd rather see him do it without any added pressure. That's basically the only thing that worries me- his exploits at the end of year trip were a storm in a teacup and should have no bearing on the decision.

I'd spew if they even thought of giving it to Bruce, but I'd understand giving it to Green in a transitional role- the only problem is it might create an awkward situation if he does a decent job between now and when Brock is ready: Brock is obviously the better choice, but how do you strip someone of the captaincy when they've done nothing wrong, and what effect will it have on their morale? If Neitz doesnt want it next year (sounds like he'd have preferred to hand it over but wont get to), then I think J-Mac is the perfect stopgap solution until Brock is ready: he'd do a fine job, he's old enough that he'd be ready to hand it over in a year or two, and from a sentimental point of view he deserves the honour.

We need a leader now. Neiter is lucky to hang onto his spot.

Brock is not yet ready.

If it is to be Brock, so be it, but the worst thing is that nothing happens.

Neitz = Nothing. IMO he should have retired.

No news on the captaincy and no strongly worded claim on the presidents position as well....

Whats going on?

When does training start?

We need a leader now. Neiter is lucky to hang onto his spot.

Brock is not yet ready.

If it is to be Brock, so be it, but the worst thing is that nothing happens.

Neitz = Nothing. IMO he should have retired.

No news on the captaincy and no strongly worded claim on the presidents position as well....

Whats going on?

When does training start?

Please don't say Neitz is nothing cause alot of people love the big fella and might get angry (me included) but i am in no mood 2 argue as i just popped a tyre driving ANYWAYS what i feel about this situation is that Neitz plays his possibly last year in the clubs 150th year as our captain in seize of unstopple glory showing his pride for the club and his burning desire for the club playing all 22 games plus finals then retiring while still in fantastic form. This may seem biaesed or unrealistic but im not talking about kicking 8 goals a game im talking about Neitz putting his body on the line and crunching some bodies kicking 2-5 goals a game setting an example for the new kids and remember that a fit Neitz is a very very good player.

In terms of who takes after Neitz atm i would say Green because Mclean doesnt quite look ready on the field and is a long way off off the field.

So in short:

2008 --> Neitz

2009-2010 ---> Green

2011 (and onwards) ----> Brock Mclean

This way Brock is prematurly thrown into the deep in and Green who has played some of his best footy as captain can strut his stuff for that period until Brock is ready and Neitz gets his final year of glory which he throughly deserves.