TRAVIS JOHNSTONE - WHY WHY WHY???

SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I WALK IN THE DOOR AND HEAR THAT TJ IS UP FOR GRABS.

Why oh why oh why?

I am getting tired of the poor decision making of the club, they make bad decisions. Offer someone else you idiots, no-one plays like him. What exactly is the issue with him? Not consistent? In that case the whole team is up for grabs because inconsistent is their middle name.

I am not happy!

Rant over

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why oh why?

I am getting tired of the poor decision making of the club, they make bad decisions. Offer someone else you idiots, no-one plays like him. What exactly is the issue with him? Not consistent? In that case the whole team is up for grabs because inconsistent is their middle name.

I am not happy!

Rant over

because our future is the under 23s. everyone realises now that we cant win a flag with the current list. since the draft sanctions of a few years ago, we have a massive hole in our list. we do have a great core of under 23s. by drafting TJ and other older players for youth or draft picks, we have a chance of having a fantastic team in 3-4 years, with the current group of 23 years at the prime of their career and the youngest (this and next years draftees) starting to play exciting footy, like bthe current u23s have been the past 2 years...

Every body is up for trade after last year. TJ is a good player with great skills when he decides to use them, but over the years he has been inconsistent, Maybe our new coach has new ideas-I am prepared to back the club in what it decides. We may get a better player for TJ if he wants to go.

Because he is the only player on our list that we have the slightest chance of getting a first round pick for if we are lucky. We need to inject further youth into our list and we want two first round picks this year. I doubt any club will give it up for him.

Poor Decision making.... looks like it extends to the other fifteen clubs that have all fallen over themselves to offer us...Sweet FA. Travis' short comings are well known to most observers, except perhaps a few loyal dee's supporters.

I am not at all surprised that Trav is up for discussion, what really surprises me is that both radio and news services have reported that he has been put firmly on the table by the Demons (CAC) but that there has been NO INTEREST! I wonder if that means no interest at all, or just nothing that CAC has taken seriously. Seems to be more interest in Miller and Green, which is also fine. If we want to put ourselves in a stronger position moving forward this is the only way. Perhaps this could be the rocket Trapper needs - similar to Steve Johnson last year when nobody wanted him!

I am not at all surprised that Trav is up for discussion, what really surprises me is that both radio and news services have reported that he has been put firmly on the table by the Demons (CAC) but that there has been NO INTEREST! I wonder if that means no interest at all, or just nothing that CAC has taken seriously.
Fifteen other clubs would be happy to have TJ if it was for free...

We need to base our future team around our extremely talented under 23 yr olds...

johnstone= 28 yrs old next year and is a chronic underachiver...

it would be a tough move by Bailey to get rid of a player with potentially such sublime skills, but i would respect him for doing it.

same for Green, but id be much more reluctant to let Green go, because he has genuine leadership and has consistently performed well his entire career (unlike johnstone) so we'd have to get something pretty amazing for him

We need to base our future team around our extremely talented under 23 yr olds...

johnstone= 28 yrs old next year and is a chronic underachiver...

it would be a tough move by Bailey to get rid of a player with potentially such sublime skills, but i would respect him for doing it.

same for Green, but id be much more reluctant to let Green go, because he has genuine leadership and has consistently performed well his entire career (unlike johnstone) so we'd have to get something pretty amazing for him

Do you seriously think Green has been a better player than Johnstone? Trapper has a B&F (05) and a third (02) as well as a third in the Brownlow. Despite his inability to string together a number of consistent seasons he has consistently been our best finals performer over the years. He has really risen to the big occasion. On the other hand, Green has been an adequate middle of the road performer. His last three seasons have seen him finish 5th, 5th and 4th in the Bluey - I don't think this shows great leadership when younger players like Jones, Bate and Davey have all performed equal to or better than Green. Green has often gone missing, especially when we have been well placed nearing the end of a season and then lost a number of consecutive games.

I believe Johnstone offers Melbourne more, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to see either moved on. Anyone who thinks Green is Captaincy material is kidding themselves. He is, as Jack Dyer would have said "A good, ordinary footballer". At 27 early next year, he is not likely to improve, so we have seen the best of both Brad and Trapper.

He is up for grabs because he is an underachieving, gambling, drinking lazy bumb who could have been better than Judd but never cared. He is the typical player that plays for the pay cheque. We see his attitude on the field, but clearly the club sees it off field as well and that was the final straw. 3 years too late imo.

I think its great. It must have been true that when the potential candidates were interviewed they were asked if they would trade trav. Personally i think he has to go. He is a receiver, a tool off the field, has only finished in the top 10 once in his 10 years, compare that to riewoldt who has won 4 already. He is not in the leadership group and only plays well when we win.

The sad thing is no other club is interested. Which tells that they don't think highly of him either. I think buchanan from sydney would be a great replacement.

I think its great. It must have been true that when the potential candidates were interviewed they were asked if they would trade trav. Personally i think he has to go. He is a receiver, a tool off the field, has only finished in the top 10 once in his 10 years, compare that to riewoldt who has won 4 already. He is not in the leadership group and only plays well when we win. If he is at melbourne next year it's because no one else wanted him.

The sad thing is no other club is interested. Which tells that they don't think highly of him either. I think buchanan from sydney would be a great replacement.

Why oh why oh why?

I am not happy!

Rant over

Let me see..

A number 1 pick that has done stuff all in 10 years

Gee I wonder why we ant to trade him?

i wrote this the day bailey was announced as coach (and just quietly, have been proven correct on all reports), now this same source confirmed that Johnstone is very childish, almost to the point where they have to be careful when he is near powerpoints. This source stated that Daniher believed Johnstone was harder to deal with than a child. Difficult to understand why Daniher kept him for so long.

This has nothing to do with talent people. It's about creating successful cultures. Dont be surprised to see him traded for what may seem a rip off, that's not from my source but my take on it.

QUOTE(youami @ Aug 31 2007, 05:01 PM)

From a very good source (i know sounds very very dodge, but check my history ive never made claims before).

apparently all members in the selection panel nominated two people, every person nominated bailey, and were very impressed with the way he presented himself, being very clear and direct.

Bailey - does not believe in trade week (despite port having 9 recycled players in their premiership team), but has sounded out that Travis Johnstone is on the chopping block.

not media savvy (happy with that) and will find it difficult to sell the club in the same manner as daniher (ultimately results sell the club)

sheedy - was pick number 2 of the five, however the panel had concerns about his age and no new ideas

hardwick - very keen on hardwick, however fumbled his way through the interview at times, they think he will be a very good coach in a few years, but weren't willing to take a risk on him

connolly - not enough insight - no new ideas unlike bailey and hardwick

riley - just part of the process.

bond - no good on the psych testing

in other news apparently bailey and libba were the only two who applied for the job, the others were approached by the melbourne football club.

also longmire applied for the job after the first part of the process was complete, but could not be considered as he missed the first part.

what i take from this, im very happy we have appointed someone who is not about selling the club, someone who was appointed because the club feels he can win us games.

PS - i have written this not to be ridiculed about my source, if you are coming on here to bad mouth this just because of the source im not interested. just ignore this if you have a problem with my source.

I think its great. It must have been true that when the potential candidates were interviewed they were asked if they would trade trav. Personally i think he has to go. He is a receiver, a tool off the field, has only finished in the top 10 once in his 10 years, compare that to riewoldt who has won 4 already. He is not in the leadership group and only plays well when we win. If he is at melbourne next year it's because no one else wanted him.

Now I keep hearing this once in the top 10 in 10 years thing but didn't someone just point out that he won it in 05 and was 3rd in 02 - that's 2 already