If a Grand Final is a Draw ?

Deano74

As it stands if the teams invovled in a GF have drawn then the sides will have to come back a week later and do it all again.

I reckon that the Pies v WC game proves that it should ! go to extra time. That was one of the most exciting games I have seen.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

i reckon that both teams should pick their biggest badass and have an old fashioned punch up. That'd be sweet. Yeah and bring back cheerleaders

The reason why they go to extra time instead of replaying during finals is because it sets everything back a week if there is a draw, like what happened in 1990.

For a Grand Final you definately have to replay it, as in extra time the first team to kick a goal has always won & the other team has remained goalless.

As it stands if the teams invovled in a GF have drawn then the sides will have to come back a week later and do it all again.

I reckon that the Pies v WC game proves that it should ! go to extra time. That was one of the most exciting games I have seen.

The extra time is played merely to avoid ruining a match schedule set in stone. A Grand Final replay is at the open end of that schedule and represents no such problem. On the contrary, it would be welcomed by the AFL as a mammoth winfall.

The grand final ought to be just that GRAND.. its do or die on the day!! Extra time for me !! Then we'll see some extraordinary play perhaps as bodies pick themselves up for one last glorious hurrah !!

Stuff coming back the next week.. only suits the AFL.

For me i would like extra time, in particular, golden goal- the first team to score a goal wins. If behind is scored game keeps going until the goal

Replay definitely!!! The 1977 one was great!! Almost better than beating the filth by a point!!! a draw and then beaten next week. Was surreal when the siren went and no one knew how to feel.

There have only been 2 draws in AFL/VFL grand finals so is rare event. Agre with sentiment to leave well alone.

One of the main reasons the extra time was brought in for earlier finals was the problem delaying the Grand Final date would cause for the entertainers etc. as some would have other bookings the following week. Once all the houpla done with 1st grand final dont need to have it all for the GF replay.

Here's a question i want answered - If there is a drawn Grand Final, do they give a Norm Smith Medal to a player in the drawn Grannie? Or do they wait until the following week?

Coz if they don't give one to a player during the drawn game, What if there was a bloke who had 40 possessions, 20 hard ball gets, 35 effective possessions, 4 goals, etc.... in the first Grand Final and in the re-match, the Norm Smith Medalist was good, but nowhere near as good as the guy from the drawn grand final?

What would happen if this were to arise?

A norm smith medal is awarded to the best player on grand final day. Seeing as there were two grand finals, i would give out a norm smith for each week.

It would be interesting if it had to be replayed, imagine how many players will get suspended for the second one.

For me i would like extra time, in particular, golden goal- the first team to score a goal wins. If behind is scored game keeps going until the goal

My dear friend, you have beens watching way too much rugby league ;):P !!!

Replay definitely!!! The 1977 one was great!! Almost better than beating the filth by a point!!! a draw and then beaten next week. Was surreal when the siren went and no one knew how to feel.

There have only been 2 draws in AFL/VFL grand finals so is rare event. Agre with sentiment to leave well alone.

One of the main reasons the extra time was brought in for earlier finals was the problem delaying the Grand Final date would cause for the entertainers etc. as some would have other bookings the following week. Once all the houpla done with 1st grand final dont need to have it all for the GF replay.

Yep Totally correct. Will never forget tha feeling

I think extra time is definately something the AFL should consider. I remember watching the Liverpool v AC Milan match where the Pool came from 3-0 down to level it at 3-3 and take it into extra time, that match's extra time was so increadibly nerve-racking and thrilling despite there being no goals, just seeing the players try to muster up that extra 10% when they were physically and mentally stuffed was inspiring. (Same with the Aust v Urug qualifier)

I'm not sure it works as well for AFL, but Friday night was an amazing game to watch.