Bloody Carlton

sylvinator

carlton had more to lose than we did this weekend...

we essentially lost pick 18 (and dropped from pick 2 to pick 4...no biggie really)...we couldv used the extra pick but what can u do. we didnt really deserve a priority pick considering we lost about 4-5 games this season where we were in front with about 2 minutes to go (kangaroos, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood were 5 games we really couldv/shouldv won)...

but what really shits me is carlton. They lost the last 11 games of the season to claim the number 1 pick their own. throughout these 11 weeks were obvious methods ensuring they would lose matches. Dropping Fevola for the demons game rond 14, Lappin retiring without a farewell game, playing youngsters well before there time, playing entire games without a ruckman in the selected side, playing 2nd gamers on the best forwards...the list goes on and on. The team Carlton selected for round 22 could NOT win an afl game no matter how hard they tried!

But its not like Carlton has done this once off. they have come 16th or 15th pretty much the last 6 seasons! if that's not enough, they're proud of it! they flaunt their number 1 picks as if they deserve them. They have cheated the afl and are dispicable. They will become a strong team in 2-3 years time and everyone will forget how they got there. By deliberately losing! Mick Malthouse said it himself after collingwood just beat the blues. "If carlton want to win another game this season, they will"...they didn't. It frustrates me bc now they look like having one of the most promising lists in the afl.

tell me which club wouldnt be promising if they were entirely made up of first round picks!!!

Carlton future quality players: (pick in draft): Gibbs (1), Murphey (1), Simpson (45), Kennedy (4)

Then add these to other very promsing up-n-comers: Fisher, Russel (9), O,hAilapin (ireland), Walker (1), Hampson (17), Hartlett (25), Grigg (19), Bower (20)

Together with their young senior players: Stevens, Houlihan, Fevola, Scotland, Thornton, Waite and Whitnall

This season they should have been around 7th-11th.

If they had any footballing integrity, with some real effort, they could have won atleast 8 games this season.

Instead they get to add to that list of youngsers pick 1 (Kruise), pick 3 (Morton) and pick 20! they are dispicable.

yes, they may become a strong club in years to come, but the way theyv done it is by rorting the afl system and coming last every year. wat a joke.

but what really shits me is carlton. They lost the last 11 games of the season to claim the number 1 pick their own. throughout these 11 weeks were obvious methods ensuring they would lose matches.

They tanked half a season? :lol:

Together with their young senior players: Stevens, Houlihan, Fevola, Scotland, Thornton, Waite and Whitnall

Past it, dud, moron, serviceable, hack, good, obese respectively. They are not going to win anything for a long time because of the culture they have.

walker was 2. get it right. i hate stupidity.

the posters who take an entire post, and comment on the most minor, insignificant detail (walker being pick 1 or 2) instead of on the subject itself are type we dont need posting on demonland. if you have differing opinion, you agree wholeheartedly or vehemently disagree...that's what makes this forum interesting...calling people stupid because of the smallest, meaningless detail of a post does not contribute at all.

i have yet to read a post from 'freak' that i found genuinly interesting or that meaningfully contributed to a discussion.

the posters who take an entire post, and comment on the most minor, insignificant detail (walker being pick 1 or 2) instead of on the subject itself are type we dont need posting on demonland. if you have differing opinion, you agree wholeheartedly or vehemently disagree...that's what makes this forum interesting...calling people stupid because of the smallest, meaningless detail of a post does not contribute at all.

i have yet to read a post from 'freak' that i found genuinly interesting or that meaningfully contributed to a discussion.

I for one found the post interesting Sylvinator... though I disagree with some aspects. You'll just have to learn to ignore some of the more juevenile responses.

Jared Rivers was pick 26 in the draft.... If recruiters knew then what we know now... It's one thing to have the picks - another entirely to use them properly. We have an excellent recruiting team, we have conducted an exhaustive selection process to identify the right coach and both will have far more bearing on how we perform in the future rather than one extra pick and half a year of compromising your players competitive culture. The four clubs that have profited most from priority picks in recent years are the Saints, Freo, the Blues and of course ourselves.... notice any similarities.

I for one found the post interesting Sylvinator... though I disagree with some aspects. You'll just have to learn to ignore some of the more juevenile responses.

Jared Rivers was pick 26 in the draft.... If recruiters knew then what we know now... It's one thing to have the picks - another entirely to use them properly. We have an excellent recruiting team, we have conducted an exhaustive selection process to identify the right coach and both will have far more bearing on how we perform in the future rather than one extra pick and half a year of compromising your players competitive culture. The four clubs that have profited most from priority picks in recent years are the Saints, Freo, the Blues and of course ourselves.... notice any similarities.

i agree mostly with those sentiments...

Demetriou continuosly reminds us that no premiers/grandfinalists have ever made it there because of priority picks.

this is true, a team can just as easily rebuild a team with mid 1st round picks and lower.

however, is it just a matter of time before a team cheats the system and wins a premiership by coming bottom 4 for 6 or 7 years runnning? i think so...

StKilda almost did it a couple of years ago. if Nick Davis hadn't kicked that miraculous goal in the dying seconds of that preliminary final i think Stkilda might have won a premiership with a team made up of first round picks.

Can Carlton do a similar thing but go further?

i know teams like PortAdelaide, WestCoast, Sydney and even Geelong are proof that team culture and astute drafting are as important as anything else.

but 6 years of toptop draft picks...how can they not build a good team. no question they will be contending in 2-3 years with the team they are building. its just really shits me.

i agree mostly with those sentiments...

Demetriou continuosly reminds us that no premiers/grandfinalists have ever made it there because of priority picks.

this is true, a team can just as easily rebuild a team with mid 1st round picks and lower.

however, is it just a matter of time before a team cheats the system and wins a premiership by coming bottom 4 for 6 or 7 years runnning? i think so...

StKilda almost did it a couple of years ago. if Nick Davis hadn't kicked that miraculous goal in the dying seconds of that preliminary final i think Stkilda might have won a premiership with a team made up of first round picks.

Can Carlton do a similar thing but go further?

i know teams like PortAdelaide, WestCoast, Sydney and even Geelong are proof that team culture and astute drafting are as important as anything else.

but 6 years of toptop draft picks...how can they not build a good team. no question they will be contending in 2-3 years with the team they are building. its just really shits me.

That Nick Davis goal was against Geelong and not in a preliminary final.

Maybe if you got your facts right these kind of posts would disappear?

Priority picks will not win a premiership on their own but they sure as hell can make the difference in the GF if you are lucky enough to have picked up a superstar as a priority. Have enough guns in the team then it helps.

The maggs tanked big time in 2005 after they got a few injuries and picked up Thomas and Pendlebury. Add their quality father/son's

( Cloke etc) and they may be ok in a couple of years.

That Nick Davis goal was against Geelong and not in a preliminary final.

Maybe if you got your facts right these kind of posts would disappear?

you are right. the nick davis goal was against geelong.

however my point was that StKilda almost won a premiership in 2004 and 2005 with a team made up of 1st round picks.

in 2004 they lost by a goal to PortAdelaide in the preliminary. PortAdelaide went on to win the premiership.

in 2005 they lost in the preliminary to Sydney. Sydney went on to win the premiership.

Whether or not you take notice of that small misinformed (yet totally meaningless) part of the post i made, I think Demetriou would be speaking VERY differently about priority picks had Stkilda won the premiership in one of those 2 years.

It is not unfeasable that Carlton could follow the same process that StKilda did after cellardwelling for a few years in a row and compete for the premiership within 2-3 years.

They fact that they could become a powerful club purely based on intentional losing is what annoys me.

I wonder, Dalrot, if you wanted to contribute to the discussion or not?

Back in round 11, pretty much everyone knew that Carlton weren't gonna win another game. The problem is, Demetriou is in la la land thinking that no team would tank, Jeez he's a FW.

But if Carlton want to push for a non-winning culture and appoint a coach who hasn't won a game yet, that's their problem. And you wonder why they keep losing, the players don't know how to win.

And their supporters say, "yeah well we had picks taken from us", you cheated and got what you deserved (and should have had the '95 premiership taken away IMO). It's 4 years since they have had those picks taken away, and they still use that as an excuse. Weak, pathetic, inept. Hopefully many more spoons will head your way, you hack of a club.

Like your thinking Sylv.

Quite simply like the other i agree to disagree...Yes Carlton seem to be attempting to "tank" until they have built a team, but as a player would you put up with 7 years of tanking to maybe win a p/ship? I know i wouldn't!

I find nothing wrong with the priority point system except the point value, it should be less than 16 points.