Place your bets people!!!

Geddy Lee

The coaching debate...  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think anyone here thinks Mark Riley will be coach.

Choose who you think will be our next senior coach? And post your choice as well so that you can claim retrospective glory.

I think Dean Bailey will get the gig.

Edit:

*If a mod could set up a poll with the coach choices it'd be much appreciated, this BB system is a nightmare to use*

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't mind who gets the coach gig, because i am sure that the road to it will have been fully checked out-we will get the best coach. But there is a part of me that would love to see sheeds get the Gig. Imgine how great he would feel if he was the next great coach after Norm Smith. Worth a Punt

Love him or Hate Him-Sheeds has been Fantastic for our game.

I honestly don't mind who gets the coach gig, because i am sure that the road to it will have been fully checked out-we will get the best coach. But there is a part of me that would love to see sheeds get the Gig. Imgine how great he would feel if he was the next great coach after Norm Smith. Worth a Punt

Love him or Hate Him-Sheeds has been Fantastic for our game.

It's not about how you feel, it's just about who you think will get the gig. I want Sheeds but I think Bailey will get it.

Poll has been added... get voting!

It has to be Sheedy! This really is a once in a life time opportunity to grab a legend. The Hardwicks, Baileys etc will always be available. Last year Longmire and Bond were all the rage, this year all the talk was about Bond, McKenna and Voss. Guess what? They will all still be available next year and some of them will still be available the year after too. Some of them will never coach at all!

Sheedy is certainly, along with Matthews, the greatest coach of the last 25 years. He has all the attributes required to build the club, and I really believe that whether we win a premiership or not in the next 3 years, he will leave the club in a much better position than he finds it! This man builds clubs and dynasties. My gut tells me that Gardner is a fan - let's hope he can convince the more cautious Harris. What I love about Sheedy is that he is always looking to the next premiership - "opportunity" he calls it. He sets a vision and charts the course. Despite what people say about the current Essendon team, they are not dissimilar to Essendon of 1992, and we all know what happened in 93. He has rebuilt them quite quickly and he'll do the same for us to.

Because I love horse racing, I will use the racing anology ( the Melbourne Coaching Cup)

Sheedy - Champion performer, but with his age, does he still have the run in the legs.

Connolly - Proven performer in lower Grade, needs to take the next step, should be finishing on.

Riley- Roughie of the Field, Hard to see him in the finish, out of his depth

Bailey - Has trained under the best in the business, a bit unknown but will be thereabouts, sure to have admirers,

Hardwick - Outstanding youngster proven on the Track, been under the best trainers, expect a big race.

Result based on Info.

1st Hardwick 2nd Sheedy 3rd Connolly 4th Bailey 5th Riley

I'd like to take the risk with Sheedy, but I think the club will appoint Connolly.

I am very pleased with the process so far, and am especially happy to see us sticking to our guns despite some clubs jumping early and quickly appointing a replacement.

I don't think anyone here thinks Mark Riley will be coach.

Choose who you think will be our next senior coach? And post your choice as well so that you can claim retrospective glory.

I think Dean Bailey will get the gig.

Edit:

*If a mod could set up a poll with the coach choices it'd be much appreciated, this BB system is a nightmare to use*

*** Want SHEEDS for 2 / 3 years with bailey or hardwick as his 2nd in charge whom would ultimately take over from him.

*** Want Connolly back @ the DEES on the football dept or board!

*** Would love to see Riley stay in the football dept, i like his strait forward manner.

I've got no idea who I think should coach next year...........I really like Mark Riley, but don't think he will get it, and can make a case for any of the blokes in line for it from what I have read.

I think Sheeds will end up getting the gig.........I think provided he can prove to the panel he is still up with it as a coach, his marketing prowess will be too much for the likes of in particular Gardner, and Harris to look past.

I have been happy with the process.........from all reports in the media, it has been rigorous, and the club hasn't backed down from "the process" which I respect. A soft club would have bent the rules, or make exceptions all over the place to facilitate someone like Sheeds, and we haven't. If he gets the job it will be on his merits.

Guest Shaun Smith Is A Champion
does anybody know who Bailey is??????????

Bailey is an ex Bombers player.

AFL

1986-92: 53 games, 19 goals for Essendon

SANFL

1993-96: 61 games for Glenelg

1998-99: Mout Gravatt Football Club (QAFL) senior coach

2000-01: Essendon Football Club development coach

2002- : Port Adelaide Football Club assistant coach

I really hope Bailey gets the job above Sheedy I really don't want Sheedy to coach our club.

I have never been much of a fan of Connolly however I would like to see him get the job before Sheedy, maybe at Melbourne Connolly will do better at the club he played at.

Go Bailey !!

I have been happy with the process.........from all reports in the media, it has been rigorous, and the club hasn't backed down from "the process" which I respect.

Hawthorn did the same, and ended up with Clarkson. Right now, I imagine they're happy with their decision to ignore the 'proven' applicants, as well as those who had played for the Club.

I don't know who Bailey is. However, Bailey's had the ultimate success as an assistant Coach with premiership teams at Essendon and Port. Good luck to him.

I just wonder given Sheeds stated desire to coach for another five years before retiring whether it is possible to have a long term understudy. Maybe in three or four years time (like Freo appointing Harvey for Connolly) but now would be a big call. Regardless I reckon Sheeds would attract some pretty good potential assistant coaches... which we'll need - because I can't see Kev doing much of the leg work.

I would like for us to go for a new guy, not a tried and true coach. I said i was happy with the process that the club has gone through, but if we end up with Connolly i won't be. I really don't ant him as our head coach. We need someone who isn't going to try and be the players best friends, but rather wants them to respect him and want to play for him.

I think Sheedy already has that going for him, as anyone who's been around football in the last 25 years would know his accomplishments, but this seems like a very safe option and i want to know that this process has provided someone who is from left field and can work his team into respecting him.

Apparently everyone in SA really rates Bailey, and his audition, i mean interview was from outside reports, outstanding. Perhaps this match simulation plan will uncover who's got what it takes, to be the Melbourne Football club's next head coach. (God i sound like someone from Australian idol or something!)

Sheedy or Connolly will get, prob Sheedy.

I want Hardwick. He is a tough premiership player.

He has won premierships at multiple clubs and from what ive heard, gave an outstanding presentation and the Hawks really rate him. He is a tough man who wont hesitate to scream his head off at players who aren't giving it a go.

I am happy with the process because it has obviously brought forward un-expected candidates such as Hardwick and Bailey. But im questioning how Connolly and Riley are still in there!!

I get Riley.... we are being polite to him.

I guess Connolly might have done well in interviews, but it's pretty obvious he is not a fan choice, and he whilst getting membership up, did struggle to make his players stand up. I dont want another coach who wants to be friends like Daniher.

If it is Bailey, Hardwick or Sheedy. I'll be happy with the process. If it aint, I wont be, but I'll still be there every week.

I don't quite get how people can say whether or not they were happy with the process depends on the outcome. The outcome and the process are two completely seperate issues IMO.

It's practically impossible from the outside to judge the process other than by looking at the names that have been thrown up.

From my perspective, the fact that Hardwick and Bailey have come up despite limited media attention seems to indicate that the process is a pretty good one and that they have genuinely been impressive rather than names just being "poll driven".

The thought of Riley or Connolly being named coach doesn't exactly fill me with excitement but I'm happy, with the limited knowledge and understanding I have as an outsider, that the process is a good one.

I don't quite get how people can say whether or not they were happy with the process depends on the outcome. The outcome and the process are two completely seperate issues IMO.

it appears to me that people who make such comments will be happy with the process only if they get their desired outcome.

for me i think we have set up a good and thorough process which will be seen through to the end. at the moment i think i will be contented even if we get connolly. i was vehemently opposed to the thought at first, but if has got through thus far he has obviously been impressive, and while i will be disappointed i'll get behind the club again no worries...

Even if we don't get the desired outcome in the long-term, it won't be through lack of trying or research.

Perhaps we could blame the criteria used to select the new coach, but we certainly can't say we weren't patient and precise.

Imagine the fall-out at Carlton if Ratten is unsuccessful (which I don't think he will be, btw).

I will only be satisfied with the process once I know what "it" is that gets the winning candidate across the line.

If it is Chris Connolly and the reason is "he did a good job at Freemantle" I will pewk. He has done no more at Freo than Danners did at Melbourne, he is too similar to Danners IMO and the fact he played for Melbourne and the symmetry looks good for the media is totally irrelevant.

I am holding my breath to hear the reasons for any decision more so than the decision itself, that is waht will convine me about the process.