Sheedy sacked

jacey

Reckon he may have run his race coaching and would be surprised if he wants to saddle up in a new club. Would be great to get him as mentor for an untried senior coach ala David Parkin though.

it said he could see out the season and have fairwell match

Domino effect now in full swing!! At least Danners and MFC can say had some impact on 2007 season!! Note even Bomber Thompson (Cats on top) or Laidley (Ross 2nd) are settled.

Peversely one T Wallace is because has 2 more years of his contract -luckily for him! Would be very different next year! But then Sheedy is a favoured son of the Tiggers????

Although PG did not handle ND's departure well the Bummers Board have out done the rest in todays effort! 2nd only to Buttress effort last year with Sainters! (Rod wins on points as his reasons might not have related to coaching performance!)

How Ironic!! The week after Norm Smith was inducted as a legend into the AFL Hall of fame.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to terms with it.

As I said earlier, I didn't think he would be our coach next year, so as long as he coaches the season out, and the team has a really dash at the finals, I'll live with it.

I jokingly asked a Richmond supporter here at work how should I feel about this, as I have never had to deal with my coach being sacked, whereas he has had lots of practise. And he said in all seriousness, not to get too upset now, but to wait until you find who the replacement is, that's when you might want to get upset.

Not that I ever want to be in a position of defending essendon, I’m not sure what choice they had (I’m sure we’ll know more when the press conference comes out).

I’m sure carlton sacking pagan, made them hurry up their decision.

They decided not to renew his contract for next season, naturally he probably does not want to stay at the club any longer, with that decision already made

if i was an essendon supporter, and they were gonna get rid of sheedy anyway, i'd be outraged if they left it too late in the season to be able to compete with the other potentials in the coaching market

he'll coach rest of season.. good for him....

i think we really need to get a kick on now. i cant see him going to freo, but melb and carlton are both looking for coaches as well. for some reason i dont see him at carlton, whereas i could see him becoming the new face of melbourne...i really hope we chase him if he is interested...

At first I was dead set gainst Sheedy coming to Melbourne, I didn't want that arrogant old fart anywhere near the club.

However, the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Press conference was very interesting. Sheedy was jovial as always.

He will coach out the rest of the season, which pleases me. Apparently he and Peter Jackson came to an agreement in January that this would be his last season as coach, and it would coincide with the retirement of James Hird.

They just chose today to announce it, to put a stop to the media circus that was surrounding the whole situation.

I'm happy with the outcome.

A few on here have bagged Essendon for our treatment of Sheedy, but from what I heard at the press conference, I am satisfied with the process. He knew all along this would probably be his last season, but is still very focused on winning games of football with Essendon.

90k+ for round 21 vs Richmond.

Pitty last game is at Subi.

Doubt whether that will worry him - he does love his scarf waving against the eagles.

Not sure Ash is right about that January agreement though. I haven't heard the press conference but Sheedy seemed to indicate he'd consider going to another club to coach which doesn't sound like retirement to me.

Not sure Ash is right about that January agreement though. I haven't heard the press conference but Sheedy seemed to indicate he'd consider going to another club to coach which doesn't sound like retirement to me.

I heard the press conference, and I can assure you that both Sheedy and Jackson said that they had an agreement in January that this would be his last year at Essendon as coach.

Whether he goes on to coach at another club is up to him.

Ash didn't say anything about Sheedy retiring, nor did Sheedy. The "retirement" was in reference to James Hird, you've just misread it.

HOw about offering Kevin Sheedy 2 years with Michael Voss a role as assistant? Might cost a big bucks but I always say you have to bet big to win big........

With 4 vacancies you can bet at least one of them will take the "punt" on Voss as senior coach.

Ash didn't say anything about Sheedy retiring, nor did Sheedy. The "retirement" was in reference to James Hird, you've just misread it.

Fair enough. I read it as implying that the retirements of Sheedy and Hird would coincide but I take your point.

For all of those who attacked Paul Gardner over Neale's resignation, I am sure you will get stuck into the Essendon board.

Their chairman said on MONDAY NIGHT, "we will not make any decision on the coach until the end of the season and we didn't even discuss it at the board meeting tonight." Oh yeah!!!.

I don't know exactly what happened with Sheedy, or what Essendon decided behind the scenes.

However, the last month has shown us that you just can't get rid of a coach and have it be all roses and rainbows.

It's never fun sacking someone, and there will always be a varying degree of bitterness and lying involved. That's just the nature of this business.

For what it's worth, I believe we handled the situation well and may have even pushed other clubs to take action sooner than they planned. We're finally pioneering something ;)

Congratulations to Sheeds for the dignified way he carried himself through today, that seems like a recurring theme with all the coaches this year, or maybe we're just comparing to Grant Thomas the imbecile and his exit last year. Sheeds would be a massive asset to whichever organisation he goes to, wether it be coaching another league club, or working as some kind of ambassador at the AFL, as Vlad has hinted he'd like Sheeds to do. And end of an era, I'm sure all Essendon fans will feel strange today.

Obviously I'm not privy to all that went on in each case, but from the outside it looks like there may have been one difference.

As I stated in another thread, according to both Sheedy and Peter Jackson they struck an agreement in January that this was probably going to be his last year as coach of Essendon. Obviously the board would be aware of this. Yes Ray Horsburgh lied to the media the other night, but I don't think Sheedy was under any illusions about his position.

I get the feeling that Daniher was expecting to at least coach this season out. Paul G gave that impression in interviews he did earlier in the year. Perhaps he too was lying to the media and he and Neale had discussions about the situation in private, meaning Neale was well aware about what position he was in.

Who knows. It's only what it looks like from the outside looking in.

[Mod edit: unless you have something meaningful to post, don't]

Edited by Nasher