• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Chris Connolly - the petition against

Demonator

I've honestly never read so much rubbish in all my life.

Normally I would not make a comment on this site. However, it saddens me to read this absolute rubbish written about Chris Connolly. People are voting without even knowing the guy, without knowing the facts about being the coach of a team like Fremantle. :wacko:

IMHO ... some people around here should just let the process take its course.

Then when our coach is appointed lets all get behind him 110% ... whoever he may be.

United we stand divided we crumble.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I would not make a comment on this site. However, it saddens me to read this absolute rubbish written about Chris Connolly. People are voting without even knowing the guy, without knowing the facts about being the coach of a team like Fremantle. :wacko:

Then when our coach is appointed lets all get behind him 110% ... whoever he may be.

Connolly's a great guy... good sense of humour, likeable bloke... an all round nice guy - the exact opposite of what we need! This is ignoring his abysmal record at Freo.

I want our new coach to have the following characteristics:

-Bastard

-[censored]

-[censored]

Ask yourself the following questions:

1- Does Fremantle have a better list than we do?

2- Does Fremantle have a better home ground advantage than we do?

3- Does Fremantle have more money to spend on their footy department, equipment and player development?

Let me give you a hint, the answer to all three questions, is yes.

Now ask yourself this; is Chris Connolly really suited to the position?

He could return to the club and play some role successfully. Not the role of head-coach though.

To the President and Committee of the MFC, please listen to your members and supporters. Chris Connolly is NOT the man for our coaching job. He is not a natural leader of men. He has tried, but has failed badly, to coach a quite talented team to finals success. He has not been able to instill any discipline into the Freo side. It is well known that their captain, amongst other senior players have no respect for him as a coach. He is however a terrific bloke that we all should welcome back to our club should he choose to renew his association in some other way with our club.

Normally I would not make a comment on this site. However, it saddens me to read this absolute rubbish written about Chris Connolly.

I agree. Whilst I'd rather Voss as coach and the Dees to take a risk - I mean what have we got to lose after 42 years - the stuff written about Connolly on this thread dismays me.

Btw, I too don't want Connolly to coach the MFC, but I love his honesty, humour, integrity and the way he handles himself.

Absolutely, I'm not sure why people are so keen to jump at shadows.... There's a process in place and the club will choose the coach from that process, it won't be selected from public opinion or the media.

Chris wouldn't be my first choice as coach, but then I don't know the full ins and outs of every applicant anyway. FWIW I think Connolly gets a bum rap in relation to Freo's under achievement and here's why.

1. There list is like 7-8 other clubs in the comp it is strong overall and has a handful of very, very good players, but has some glaring weaknesses as well. (Certainly those that were predicting that Sandilands was going to be simply too dominant and the opposition would have no answers are looking a bit silly --- their midfield is even slower than ours)

2. He was actively knifed in the back by some very senior members of the playing group on many occasions - so much so that he couldn't cut the players that he wanted. Did Chris actually want to recruit those drunken [censored] head mates Solomon and Tarrant?

3. The player discipline issue is very much in his domain, but if West Coast have shown us anything this year, it's that the culture in Perth is a nightmare for coaches to try and manage.

4. Overall his record isn't that good, but he did take a club that was nothing and basically had to start again with the list and got them to the finals.

Like Jaded said I may not want him as the Senior Coach, but I'd certainly be keen to have him involved in the club in some capacity.

Connolly would not bring to the MFC:

- any 'winning culture'

- any leadership or hardness

- any Members at all.

Was a pretty decent footballer, and probably a nice guy, but would be an unmitigated disaster for a club wanting to build a winning culture and Membership numbers.

N O

Chris wouldn't be my first choice as coach, but then I don't know the full ins and outs of every applicant anyway. FWIW I think Connolly gets a bum rap in relation to Freo's under achievement and here's why.

You make some good points Grazman but as you allude to the responsibilty for any defficiencies in the Freo list rest fair and square with Chris and his FD which would be one the best resourced in the competition. How would he fair on Melbournes' shoe string budget? No doubt he has been let down by some players but IMO really good coaches demand success (Malthouse).

One other point worth considering is the risk factor. Many people are quick to put a negative against Voss' name but I would argue there is considerable risk in appointing a coach who has failed once already. It could be a mind numbing experience for the supporters of the club to see another coach who presents well, can have a laugh and carry himself magnificently well but delivers wildly unpredictable on field results.

That probably sums up why I posted in support of this thread long before CC pulled the pin.

but I love his honesty, humour, integrity and the way he handles himself.

Reminds me of someone who used to coach us for 10 years...

As someone else said, this is not about Chris Connolly the man, it is about Chris Connolly the head coach.

I'd take him on in many roles, assistant coach, player manager, footy manager etc etc... However, if the process the club has put into place finds that Connolly is the best man for the job, than I'm sorry but IMO the process has failed.

Surely the club will, with the help of so many consultants, realise that a new direction is needed.

You talk abut taking a risk, well Connolly will be no risk at all. We know what he brings to the table, when we look at how unsuccessful Fremantle has been under his guidance, and whether he is a great person (seems to be) or not, has nothing to do with this issue.

4. Overall his record isn't that good, but he did take a club that was nothing and basically had to start again with the list and got them to the finals.

I don't buy that.

He has had money, home ground advantage, and a number of good draft picks at his disposal, and yet Freo have won 2 finals under him. They made the finals twice in 6 years.

Daniher had no money, no real home ground advantage, and draft penalties to cope with, came to us when we won the spoon, and got us into 6 final series, and a GF, and he still wasn't good enough.

Thanks for that - I quite enjoyed watching the great man at his furious best.... was just a shame when the umpire decided to watch, or he actually gained possession of the ball... eitherway a turnover was a regular result

Great call.

Don't you mean Grant Thomas?? I'd take Dale Thomas as a player anyday, but he just resigned with Collingwood :(

He resigned? That's good news! ;)

Damn resign/ re-sign meaning the opposite.

True. On the flip side, they play ~double the amount of games away from their home state. It's not all peaches, but it's certainly nice.

2. He was actively knifed in the back by some very senior members of the playing group on many occasions - so much so that he couldn't cut the players that he wanted. Did Chris actually want to recruit those drunken [censored] head mates Solomon and Tarrant?

I've heard some rumours.

Would you actually want a Coach who was put under the thumb by players?

He could return to the club and play some role successfully. Not the role of head-coach though.

Like Jaded said I may not want him as the Senior Coach, but I'd certainly be keen to have him involved in the club in some capacity.

If you think Connoly's no good as a Coach, what about him makes you think he'd be good in another FD role like football manager etc?

A few people have said it, and it sounds just a little like they're trying to temper their potting of Connoly by saying he'd be good in another role - but no way to Coach.

I think Connolly could make an excellent Footy Manager a la Balmey at Geelong who seems to have had a very positive impact there and may be one of the factors in their rise up the ladder - Brian Cook seems to think so. I also think ND could do the same and this may be a better career path for both. We have Chris Fagan contracted in that role so it's a moot point for us.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1- Does Fremantle have a better list than we do?

3- Does Fremantle have more money to spend on their footy department, equipment and player development?

Let me give you a hint, the answer to all three questions, is yes.

4- Is Fremantle's list full of talented but flawed blokes whose football comes a distant second to acting like a bone headed moron?

The answer is also yes.

I'm not pro- or against- Connolly, but I think the above point bears as much consideration as all three questions. The answer to 4 could go a long way to explaining 1, 2 and 3.

4- Is Fremantle's list full of talented but flawed blokes whose football comes a distant second to acting like a bone headed moron?

I'll raise you...

Is Melbourne's list full of talented players who go missing when the heat is on, can't win the contested ball in a tight situation, and lack leadership?

YES!

Fremantle's poor discipline both on and off the field also reflects on Connolly. He lets the players get ahead of themselves, and their egos get the better of them. Sounds very familiar...

Absolutely, I'm not sure why people are so keen to jump at shadows.... There's a process in place and the club will choose the coach from that process, it won't be selected from public opinion or the media.

1. There list is like 7-8 other clubs in the comp it is strong overall and has a handful of very, very good players, but has some glaring weaknesses as well. (Certainly those that were predicting that Sandilands was going to be simply too dominant and the opposition would have no answers are looking a bit silly --- their midfield is even slower than ours)

3. The player discipline issue is very much in his domain, but if West Coast have shown us anything this year, it's that the culture in Perth is a nightmare for coaches to try and manage.

"Absolutely, I'm not sure why people are so keen to jump at shadows.... There's a process in place and the club will choose the coach from that process, it won't be selected from public opinion or the media."

Beautiful common sense approach.

FWIW I think you make some very, very good points ... Western Australian football is a "fish bowl" where Chris was behind the "8-ball" from nearly day 1. As he said in his press conference the "sharks" where circling before the end of the first game of the season ... hardly a fair go in my opinion.

IMHO the pressure is enormous in a 2 team town and he did a excellent job compared to any who have gone before him.

I'm not here to pick the next coach just to express my amazement at "why people are so keen to jump at shadows" ... ;)

My fear is not that Chris Connolly comes back although Im putting $10 on Chris Bond(now at elevens on sportsbet),

My fear is that the door will be open for the "little mate" Cameron Schwab.

I dont like him and dont want him back at the club.

My fear is not that Chris Connolly comes back although Im putting $10 on Chris Bond(now at elevens on sportsbet),

My fear is that the door will be open for the "little mate" Cameron Schwab.

I dont like him and dont want him back at the club.

Couldn't agree more with you. I had the pleasure of seeing Schwab paying out on a poor little old gateman several years ago at the G. Gave him an expletive filled tirade for not letting him into the Redlegs area, and finished off with a 'do you know who I am you old c**t'. The old guy got the last laugh though, he turned to me and said he did, and wev'e got long memories at Melbourne. Good riddance Schwab. Joe got something right shafting you. His incompetence cost us draft picks several years ago, and for memory he had a huge salary cap f**k up when he went to the Dockers as well! NO to Connolly and NO to his mate thanks.

I haven't seen anything that bad but have watched him be a prat many times.

Also had a friend who was on the board at the Tigers for a while, and he and his wife had a few stories about his manner and attitude.

He wouldn't be welcome back there either.

As someone else said, this is not about Chris Connolly the man, it is about Chris Connolly the head coach.

You talk abut taking a risk, well Connolly will be no risk at all.

How is your English comprehension ? I said that I didn't want Connolly to coach the MFC, so spare me your reasons why not to take him. It makes it look like you're trying to convince me.

Also, I know what the thread is about. I also know what I read in numerous posts. Once again, I commented on the 'man' because the 'man' was being played. This in itself suggests I know the concept of the threads originator.

You do have an infuriating way about you. I'm not sure that you take in what you read.

You do have an infuriating way about you. I'm not sure that you take in what you read.

My point wasn't directed only at you. It just happened to be the last post I read before I posted, so I quoted you and used some of what you said as an example.

I wouldn't need to read your posts to guess that you're not advocating for Connolly to be our next coach.