Priority Picks?

Dappa Dan

Ok. The time has come where it's not too early for us to discuss priority picks.

My understanding is that Carlton, on 4 wins, are still eligible to get their priority pick BEFORE round 1. Should they draw, or win another game they then miss out on a priority altogether.

In the case of the Toigs and us, if we or they win 4 games or less for the entire year, we get a pick before the SECOND round.

So.... Let's just say the toigs and demons win less that 4 the picks will be...

Tigers: 1, 17 and 19.

Demons: 2, 18 and 20.

Blues: 3, 21.

BUT... if the blues don't win any more points, the picks will be...

Blues: 1, 4 then their second rounder at 22.

Tigers: 2, 18 and 20.

Demons: 3, 19 and 21.

What a jib if that's correct...

Can someone tell me if I've made a mistake, particularly in terms of how many premiership points disqualifies you for a priority pick. Is it 18 or 20?

as mentioned elsewhere..Carlton play us twice... just reason would supportany suggestion that they will win one.

Looks reasonable DD.

Here is an explanation....

In the early 2000s, it became apparent that a quality team could have an isolated bad season through injury, and finish with five wins, earning a priority pick. This was deemed to be unfair, since the initial reason for the picks was to help consistently poor teams to rebuild. As a consequence, several changes were made to the rules in 2006:

1. The Priority Round was shifted, so that it was held between the First and Second rounds of the draft; this way, an isolated poor season would not be so richly rewarded.

2. Teams would receive a Priority Selection only if they finished the season with fewer than 16.5 premiership points; this way, fewer isolated poor seasons would fall into the priority category.

3. If a team finished with fewer than 16.5 premiership points in two consecutive seasons, then their Priority Selection is taken before the First Round, rather than after it; this way, consistently poor teams are still given the help that they need.

Looks reasonable DD.

Here is an explanation....

In the early 2000s, it became apparent that a quality team could have an isolated bad season through injury, and finish with five wins, earning a priority pick. This was deemed to be unfair, since the initial reason for the picks was to help consistently poor teams to rebuild. As a consequence, several changes were made to the rules in 2006:

1. The Priority Round was shifted, so that it was held between the First and Second rounds of the draft; this way, an isolated poor season would not be so richly rewarded.

2. Teams would receive a Priority Selection only if they finished the season with fewer than 16.5 premiership points; this way, fewer isolated poor seasons would fall into the priority category.

3. If a team finished with fewer than 16.5 premiership points in two consecutive seasons, then their Priority Selection is taken before the First Round, rather than after it; this way, consistently poor teams are still given the help that they need.

two points to make here. if the rule stayed the old way, there is every chance we could rort the system a second time (ie low finished bookended by finals seasons...the other point is im not sure about two seasons of four wins or less. i reckon that will result in teams ending up middle of the road, instead of a large rebuild...but im not really sure.

i doubt you could, im pretty sure you couldnt swap a priority pick.

Why not?

It's a pick just like any other. Can't see why we couldn't trade it.

If we did end up with a priority pick (Carlton better win another game!), hopefully we'd use one of the picks as trade bait combined with a couple of high-profile players. Who knows, we could land ourselves something really good if we use the picks correctly.

I'd hate to give up our number one pick, unless it involves getting Judd/Pavlich/Reiwoldt.

Also, I'm pretty sure Brock was the priority pick since we finished 14th, therefore pick 3 was always going to be ours... no?

If we get another Brock as a result of this season, I can live with that. If we get Judd, well it was all worth it! :D

i doubt you could, im pretty sure you couldnt swap a priority pick.

I'm given to believe that other's believed this used to be the case, but not any longer.... :blink: I've always believed you could swap any draft pick you wanted and certainly priority picks have been traded in the past.

I'm liking the sounds of this Kruezer boy more as a KP forward than as a ruckman, heaven knows we need a successor for our skipper. Wonder what his kicking is like? Anyone know or is he pretty much a pinch hitter in the forward line and mainly a ruckman?

but priority picks are not classed as pick 1 or 2, and i dont think the AFL would allow a club to swap them.

The AFL were intending to introduce that rule but then Freo wanted to trade their's so they scrapped it.

I'm liking the sounds of this Kruezer boy more as a KP forward than as a ruckman, heaven knows we need a successor for our skipper. Wonder what his kicking is like? Anyone know or is he pretty much a pinch hitter in the forward line and mainly a ruckman?

No, he's not a pinch hitter up forward, he can play as a fair dinkum Key forward as well as a great ruck, similiar to Pauk Salmon except more agile. He get's alot of the ball as well when playing in the middle like Goodes.

If we get Kreuzer or Cotchin I will be very, very happy.

I'm given to believe that other's believed this used to be the case, but not any longer.... :blink: I've always believed you could swap any draft pick you wanted and certainly priority picks have been traded in the past.

That is correct. For example in 2001 Freo traded PP1 (and pick 20 + 36) to Hawthorn for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin and Hawthorn selected Luke Hodge (and Sam Mitchell with 36 - ouch!!!).

we should be getting a priority pick this season, and we should aim next season for one. It sounds ludicrous, but i think we need to rebuild out list. This also means we need to trade players like bruce and green.

we should be getting a priority pick this season, and we should aim next season for one. It sounds ludicrous, but i think we need to rebuild out list. This also means we need to trade players like bruce and green.

i don't know how i'd go watching Melbourne win only 8 games over the course of 2 years.

No, he's not a pinch hitter up forward, he can play as a fair dinkum Key forward as well as a great ruck, similiar to Pauk Salmon except more agile. He get's alot of the ball as well when playing in the middle like Goodes.

If we get Kreuzer or Cotchin I will be very, very happy.

Thanks for the info Jarka, he sounds like just the ticket as a long term replacement for either one of White or more importantly Neitz. I'd be absolutely stoked to pick him up in the draft.