AFLW: Rd 08 vs Richmond

5 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

We could win the next two and still miss out - what a shame and what a condemnation of such a lop sided shambles of a fixture.

It's Essendon's place in the 8 that is probably the only realistic hope, and that would probably come down to Carlton v Essendon in the last round.

Delicious.

• Haha 1

Great performance again today...

I don't see us as a serious threat this year and would like to see us keep developing the young talent.

Gall and Campbell are very exciting prospects and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Rigoni before the end of the season..

• Like 2

just caught the highlights (i was away last night so couldn't watch live)

Bannon looked great. Pearce back in the ruck makes a big different. Hore having a superb season. Youngsters showing some very promising signs.

Huge effort from the team to turn the season around and get us back into finals contention. I think we'll miss out on percentage but if we do make it no one will want to play us.

massive game against the Hawks next up.

Go Dees

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, rjay said:

Great performance again today...

I don't see us as a serious threat this year and would like to see us keep developing the young talent.

Gall and Campbell are very exciting prospects and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Rigoni before the end of the season..

Love what Gall and Campbell are showing.  Gall just jumps at everything, crashing packs and has a strong pair of hands.  Campbell doing similar. 

Rather than look at Bannan's 3rd goal....notice what Gall does in the background to make sure an opponent is dispatched to give Alyssa the free shot.  That is the sign of a real footballer who knows how to play forward. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Our girls went in really hard all the game, with relentless tackling and pressure.

At one stage we had 17 frees to their 3, which was pretty significant, but doesn’t compensate for the mauling we got from the umps in Fremantle.

I think that relentless tackling and pressure is what has turned things around for us.
The key personnel coming back is helping now for sure but 4 weeks ago our stocks were decimated but we just seemed to switch on with the agression.
It's been quite the transformation.

We've been led by Macca and Goldy this year. They are true competitive animals and I love watching them.
Hanks and Bannon were way off to start the season and their lift in form in recent weeks has really helped us turn things around.

A big shout out to Gall too. She really struggled to hold a mark early in the season but she is just clunking everyhting now. Gall, Zanker, Campbell and Bannon are quite a combo now.

It's going to be really hard to sneak in. As everyone has said, the fixturing just sucks. It looks like one of the in form teams in the comp is going to miss out.

But...every week has been a final for us and every goal helps.
I'm loving this demon resurrection!
Very proud of Mick and the team.
I still think he should be helping the blokes through the AFLW season.

Go Dees.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Love what Gall and Campbell are showing.  Gall just jumps at everything, crashing packs and has a strong pair of hands.  Campbell doing similar. 

Rather than look at Bannan's 3rd goal....notice what Gall does in the background to make sure an opponent is dispatched to give Alyssa the free shot.  That is the sign of a real footballer who knows how to play forward. 

Also notice Zanker's pressure work in Banno's first 2 goals. She's not always 'on' in this regard, so it was good to see.

Memo to the Army: you've got 'Banno, Banno, Banno, Oi, Oi, Oi!' nailed; time to work on something for some others? Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DubDee said:

Great game from the girls 

Finals from 1-3 will be a first for the league i’d say 

Hore is getting stuck in and starting some scraps. love it 

It’s 1-4 actually and off a 10 goals mauling to boot.

Similar to a AFL Lions run in 2001 as after a 10 goal thrashing at Ikon Park to the Blues (when they were good) they won about 14/15 straight to claim the first of their three peat flags.

Hopefully we can emulate that feat however it is great to see the familiar feistiness, team first ethic and the rapid fire improvement in many of the newbies and plenty of growth in a lot of the old favourites. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

'Live life like everyone you meet is a BFF at your pyjama party'.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Only 86 more points from North and we

move in the 8!

🤪

Midway through the third and Essendon have now lost more percentage in this game than the remaining difference between us and them. Come on North, there are records to be broken!

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to AFLW: Rd 08 vs Richmond
6 hours ago, Brownie said:

I think that relentless tackling and pressure is what has turned things around for us.
The key personnel coming back is helping now for sure but 4 weeks ago our stocks were decimated but we just seemed to switch on with the agression.
It's been quite the transformation.

We've been led by Macca and Goldy this year. They are true competitive animals and I love watching them.
Hanks and Bannon were way off to start the season and their lift in form in recent weeks has really helped us turn things around.

A big shout out to Gall too. She really struggled to hold a mark early in the season but she is just clunking everyhting now. Gall, Zanker, Campbell and Bannon are quite a combo now.

It's going to be really hard to sneak in. As everyone has said, the fixturing just sucks. It looks like one of the in form teams in the comp is going to miss out.

But...every week has been a final for us and every goal helps.
I'm loving this demon resurrection!
Very proud of Mick and the team.
I still think he should be helping the blokes through the AFLW season.

Go Dees.

AFLW off season I meant

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Bombers lost 20% but opportunity lost

8.10 to 1.1. Nearly all 10 behinds were gettable. North kicking was poor

We haven't helped ourselves by letting Richmond kick the last 3.2 this week and us beating St. Kilda by 1.8 last week.  We could easily be only 7% behind Essendon now instead of 18%.  But we had so much percentage to make up that it will probably come down to us having to beat Hawthorn and Collingwood and hope that Richmond beats Essendon next week.  If that happens we are in regardless of percentage.

Freo and Port should be able to keep ahead of us given their draw, though I suppose there is a chance the Suns at home might beat Port now they've found some form.  But we just have to win both matches!

• Like 4

Am enjoying the AFLW the last few weeks (and previous seasons), Alyssa Bannan is a real favourite, something about her running is such a joy to watch. Overall I like the style they play tough but fair and playing the ball. I also think it will create a pathway for more people to take up the sport (and the Demons), something that can never be taken for granted. Not sure where they finish but you really have to credit the turnaround in perfomance.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Am enjoying the AFLW the last few weeks (and previous seasons), Alyssa Bannan is a real favourite, something about her running is such a joy to watch. Overall I like the style they play tough but fair and playing the ball. I also think it will create a pathway for more people to take up the sport (and the Demons), something that can never be taken for granted. Not sure where they finish but you really have to credit the turnaround in perfomance.

My son's junior football club reported its largest ever registrations for the season just gone - in no small part to a >40% growth in female numbers. It's great to see.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

On 19/10/2024 at 21:02, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

It's Essendon's place in the 8 that is probably the only realistic hope, and that would probably come down to Carlton v Essendon in the last round.

Delicious.

They are the only one I think we can overtake.  Juts need to win he next 2 and see if the bombers falter. 

• Like 1