Clayton Oliver

Demonland

If Oliver and Petracca are both 100% fit and firing next year, Demons are in for a very good year!

Should one or both want to be traded at the end of next year on the back of great years, we will be in a much better position to get something decent in return.

Preferably they can be brought back into the fold and remain as lifelong Demons and win a few more flags together!!

• Like 5

Post trade period everything in the media will just be post hoc rationalisation and guff.

Clarry is contracted to us. We'll support to get back on track. It's in our interest to given how much we have invested in him.

Whatever differences Clarry had with the club needs to be put behind him. I want to see Clarry have a rip roaring preseason and be in top physical condition for round 1. He owes us that.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Why would his father spin it different if Simon rang him?

He's as honest as they come as is mother Michelle. They tell you how it is.

The family felt the club treated Oliver during last year's saga with absolute care and professionalism. They were proud of the club in the way they wrapped support around because he simply went of the rails and even to the point where they both had to drive down and spend a few a few days with him as they were genuinely concerned for his welfare.

This year, not so much. The whole Gary Pert situation completely blindsided them. Even in his exit meeting there was no discussion of a trade, it was all about getting his body right, completing his off season program with the goal of being fit ready to go come day one of pre season.

I know one part of the reason to get to Geelong was pure lifestyle and needing to escape the bright lights or Melbourne. At the end of the day he's the boy from the country who still has incredible strong ties to his country roots. He's desperate to stay out of media headlines.

The other part was obviously Geelongs leadership success and strong on field culture. 

Yep and I feel, then that if this shopping around has gravitas then Pert, and any admin privy to making or being part of this scenario need to GO! SHOCKING PLAYER MANAGEMENT IMV!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yep and I feel, then that if this shopping around has gravitas then Pert, and any admin privy to making or being part of this scenario need to GO! SHOCKING PLAYER MANAGEMENT IMV!

Picket and Dazzle please paint me a picture whereby the CEO of an AFL club would - off their own bat do a ring around to other AFL clubs and offer up their top player. It just beggars belief. I. E - Perty wakes up one day and says to himself, hmmn a bit bored today I wonder what we could get for young Oliver, the FD, President and Board wouldn’t have any problems with me doing this…????

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DeeZone said:

Picket and Dazzle please paint me a picture whereby the CEO of an AFL club would - off their own bat do a ring around to other AFL clubs and offer up their top player. It just beggars belief. I. E - Perty wakes up one day and says to himself, hmmn a bit bored today I wonder what we could get for young Oliver, the FD, President and Board wouldn’t have any problems with me doing this…????

You know, it beggars belief as you say. I'll tell you what: don't believe one tenth of what you read in the media including on here, starting with the  whole premise of this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a dream last night.

We win the flag next year, with Tracc winning his second Norm Smith, after Clarry won the Brownlow, with Max breaking records with another AA and our pick 5 winning the Rising Star, after JVR wins his first Coleman.

How quickly would all this media garbage last if my dream came true?

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 9
  • Love 8
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

We win the flag next year, with Tracc winning his second Norm Smith, after Clarry won the Brownlow, with Max breaking records with another AA and our pick 5 winning the Rising Star, after JVR wins his first Coleman.

That is some dream red. 

I will have double of what u r on 😜

Would love it to come true though!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

can you dm me your dealer's details, red?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

That is some dream red. 

I will have double of what u r on 😜

Would love it to come true though!!

Forgot to mention Goody won Coach of the Year and Viney won the AFLPA bravest player award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2

37 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Trac/oliver/kozzie would literally be getting the norm and they'd be asking if he just won the norm Smith in his last game at the club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Why would his father spin it different if Simon rang him?

He's as honest as they come as is mother Michelle. They tell you how it is.

The family felt the club treated Oliver during last year's saga with absolute care and professionalism. They were proud of the club in the way they wrapped support around because he simply went of the rails and even to the point where they both had to drive down and spend a few a few days with him as they were genuinely concerned for his welfare.

This year, not so much. The whole Gary Pert situation completely blindsided them. Even in his exit meeting there was no discussion of a trade, it was all about getting his body right, completing his off season program with the goal of being fit ready to go come day one of pre season.

I know one part of the reason to get to Geelong was pure lifestyle and needing to escape the bright lights or Melbourne. At the end of the day he's the boy from the country who still has incredible strong ties to his country roots. He's desperate to stay out of media headlines.

The other part was obviously Geelongs leadership success and strong on field culture. 

Wow! And this is you saying just a couple of weeks ago that "There is an absolutely no way anyone  can accuse the footy club for its lack of support because if anything the club has supported him to the tilt." and "The club has gone way above and beyond more then anyone on the playing list." Now you're slagging the club for taking predictable action and exploring Clayton's currency in the market.

You have got all excited with a bit of "inside info" that the family is upset of how this has unfolded and "desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand". Our high demand??? The inference here is that you believe them. Do you? 

Now you are saying that "At the end of the day he's the boy from the country who still has incredible strong ties to his country roots. He's desperate to stay out of media headlines". Inferring  that he is a bit of a victim here. This sort of contradicts what you have said earlier "How about for once Oliver takes responsibility for his own actions and start acting like a grown adult for once in his life. He's 27, not an 18 year old kid". Which one do you like best?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, djr said:

Wow! And this is you saying just a couple of weeks ago that "There is an absolutely no way anyone  can accuse the footy club for its lack of support because if anything the club has supported him to the tilt." and "The club has gone way above and beyond more then anyone on the playing list." Now you're slagging the club for taking predictable action and exploring Clayton's currency in the market.

You have got all excited with a bit of "inside info" that the family is upset of how this has unfolded and "desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand". Our high demand??? The inference here is that you believe them. Do you? 

Now you are saying that "At the end of the day he's the boy from the country who still has incredible strong ties to his country roots. He's desperate to stay out of media headlines". Inferring  that he is a bit of a victim here. This sort of contradicts what you have said earlier "How about for once Oliver takes responsibility for his own actions and start acting like a grown adult for once in his life. He's 27, not an 18 year old kid". Which one do you like best?

Sheeit ... when I was 27 I didn't know  what the hell was going on, Footy, Cricket, Girl's still not sure... and I'm damn near retirement stage,  NOW...give CLARRY A BREAK!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Sheeit ... when I was 27 I didn't know  what the hell was going on, Footy, Cricket, Girl's still not sure... and I'm damn near retirement stage,  NOW...give CLARRY A BREAK!!

I agree. That is his quote, not mine.

32 minutes ago, djr said:

You've completely botched the way you're reading into this because I haven't slagged the club off in how they've handled it.

If you actually take the time to read, I'm actually praising the club for going way above for their ongoing support and instead my criticism has been on Oliver with his off field behaviour and antics previously. 

What I said weeks ago which you're referencing, is exactly how the family felt of the club last year after the [censored] hit the fan. They were truly grateful for the support of the club especially Simon Goodwin towards Oliver even though his off field antics caused those inside the club and his family absolute grief.

This year purely started off the back of Gary Pert simply asking a few questions to a few player agents coaches one being (Ross Lyon was one being close friends from Fitzroy days) and it caught not only Oliver camp blindsided but Goodwin and Richo too.

As I said previously, his exit interview was robust and strong but also healthy in the way that he was in a much better state then this time last year and both parties walked out satsified heading into the new year with hope of a full pre season. Got his off field program all sorted and there was no issues.

Because of the way it all unfolded, the Oliver camp were extremely disappointed so they decided to test the market and that's when Geelong came to the party and they both met up. After his initial meeting he was set on going to Geelong but his management team never requested a trade because the asking price was too much for Geelong in the middle of trying to deal with Bailey Smith. It was only ever a 50/50 and talk died once we set the price.

This is why there is tensions with Gary Pert at the helm which has caused fractions internally. He instigated all this which blindsided a few key people within club including Richo, Goodwin, Green and Oliver which he and his family were incredibly hurt by.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, 58er said:

When did they stop it? It was done and we have moved on except you McClure and Barrett. 
Clarry had also please read  his comments below from the interview with HSun at Caulfield races yesterday.

They don’t call you CF for nothing! 

On the first day of trading every media organisation reported Clarry was being shopped around by Pert possibly to Geelong.

Tom Stewart admitted meeting Clarry when he toured the Cats facility.

Pert declined to scotch the rumours.

After a week of brouhaha Brad Green released a statement saying the Board had met & decided Clarry would not be traded.

Several commentators have called for Pert's resignation over the matter.

Do try & keep up 58er.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 58er said:

It would have been an interview at Caulfield Cup races yesterday. 

Why don’t  you ring him up and ask him to repeat just for you? 

For all the doubters he tried last year but fitness decided his finish after the bye. Once he is at footy he is his most determined thing in his life.

I also predict CP 5 will be back to his best. He has the added incentive to display his brand at his best. 

That’s one of the reasons I believe the season this year  was a bit like 2020 and it would not surprise me that 2025 mirrors 2021 in some way.

There is a lot we can do a little better or even a lot better so don’t  be surprised we improve as a team to prove some of the critics wrong. 

Thanks for that, You saw the interview, did you?

Something really is off with the whole story.

If you were going to shop around one of the best midfielders in the comp, are you seriously going to Geelong? A major competitor for the flag, that has already committed their first draft pick (which wasn't even close to being enough anyway) for another player. Makes absolutely zero sense.

56 minutes ago, BigBadBustling said:

If you were going to shop around one of the best midfielders in the comp, are you seriously going to Geelong? A major competitor for the flag, that has already committed their first draft pick (which wasn't even close to being enough anyway) for another player. Makes absolutely zero sense.

You are sounding like a Trump election denier.

I suppose Tom Stewart made up the story of meeting Oliver at Geelong while he visited their facilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Thanks for that, You saw the interview, did you?

No but if you care to go back to Page1 of this new Oliver topic you can read a report on the interview. 
Also if you go to the copy of Herald Sun ( Also in the Melbourne other paper The Age) you can read articles of the interview. Also pictures of Clarry at the races. 

Because you don’t make any attempt to follow up information or posts it doesn’t mean that stories are made up. 
Especially if you don’t believe the information as it may not coincide with your opinion.

21 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol.. he's not going to publicity come out express a desire that he wanted to leave. 

He played a straight bat and exactly the answer you'd expect from someone that either had every intention of wanting to leave or was at least putting some serious consideration into it.

Was speaking with an ex colleague last Thursday who worked with the Murray Bushrangers and is from Shepparton way. He knows his Dad Steve very well.

His old man confirmed to him that Oliver and his family desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand, Geelong could not cater to our needs. The asking price was too much for Geelong.

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded. Similar to the Petracca situation, there is some serious amending of the bridges that will need occur over the off season.

You can spin whatever narrative you want about the media, but Oliver absolutely wanted to leave Melbourne. 

That’s weird because I know Michelle Oliver quite well, she works with my mum and has said quite the opposite and the family love Melbourne and Clayton wanted to keep his options open. There has been no disgruntlement ever

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

40 minutes ago, Tracca said:

That’s weird because I know Michelle Oliver quite well, she works with my mum and has said quite the opposite and the family love Melbourne and Clayton wanted to keep his options open. There has been no disgruntlement ever

And I have heard exactly the same thing. I said earlier in a post: don't believe a fraction of what you read, including the whole premise of this thread.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 2

6 hours ago, BigBadBustling said:

You're implying we only went to Geelong and refused to speak to anyone else.

Geelong has kept tabs on Oliver all year. There have been reports that halfway through the year Oliver's manager asked if we were open to a trade and we shut it down.

Then once the season wrapped up everything seemed pretty relaxed. We were hearing reports that Oliver was ready to pay the club back and take off to some pre-season training camp. For whatever reason the club (Pert) completely fumbled the ball and decided to try and quietly ask a few other clubs what they reckon Oliver is worth.

Well, nothing stays quiet in this industry.

Turns out most clubs wanted nothing to do with Oliver, but Geelong, who had been courting him all year and were ready to pounce on an opportunity we gave them.

In the end the club shut it down, but not without a lot of self-inflicted damage that was completely unnecessary.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1