Coaching Role for Jonesy?

Demonland

Great players do not necessarily make great coaches.   Hird, Buckley, Voss (at least version #1) say hi.

• Like 1

I love Jonesy. So I feel conflicted writing this. And it’ll probably be a wildly unpopular opinion.

But I don’t like it, for a number of reasons.

Sounds like he’d be coming in as our midfield coach. It’s bloody hard to coach and give strong feedback to blokes you’re mates with as he’ll have to do to our midfielders.

Secondly he never seemed to have any burning passion for coaching. I don’t mind listening to him on commmentary but he’s never struck me as an incredible tactical brain and he’s never overly insightful.

I was also excited about the idea of Teague coming in as he’s regarded as one of the best ball movement guys in the business. You’d think it’s one or the other with him and Jones otherwise with Bassett coming in and Chaplin and Choco there too, the soft cap would prevent it from happening. What experience does Jonesy have for what’s probably the most important line coaching role a team has? If it’s Teague OR Jones it’s Teague all day long for me. 

Also just reckon it feels like a bit of a token feelgood move to appease an angry and disenchanted supporter base.

Would absolutely love to be proven wrong but they’re my initial thoughts.

Edited by Dee Boys
  • Like 14

29 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

To me, the men's coach in waiting is Mick Stinear....

Absolutely Ollie.

i still think in Mick’s first 3/4 years he struggled on game day with little imagination and flair. And as many in the game flair and possibly imagination would not be in the vocabulary about Mick. 

However he realized that he had to expand his horizons and gradually became more aggressive and when the Dees rebuilt with young recruits on the run about Season 5 we saw the Dees become far better in big games and comfortably made the Finals each year since including our magnificent initial Flag in a titanic tussle over Brisbane at their newly constructed  home ground. Low scores but a slug fest we won in a low score. 

But by now Mick was switching players in positions and had a much more versatile list to coach. 

Fast forward to today and we looked down and out after Essendon on GF Eve gave us our biggest and most embarrassing experience in the 8 and a bit seasons AFLW. Our fourth loss and 3 by more than 40 pts. 
However the dozen injuries and loss of form from that day have stopped ans Mick  has on his admission simplified our game from one match to another and bingo 3 thrilling wins all different the undoubted highlight last Wednesday nights heist of the almost unbeaten Crows at their fortress Unley Oval. 

After  yesterday we are now only % out of the Top 8 with Finals a realistic possibility if we win our last 3 h and a games with challenging games vs Tigers and Hawks and the undoubted worst team in the fixture the Pies due to injuries and a static game plan. 

Mick’s greatest coaching philosophy is to get his players happy engaged and contented in playing footy for his team and that’s the reason now with his match hardened and clever brain he has managed in his none seasons win most games until just recently. 

With his skills and confidence he could now be an assistant coach for a year or two and enter a succession plan or just be ready to take over any time soon. 

Mick has the method and air of a winner and the unity of groups of young women point to a potentially successful stint when and if he switched to the men’s league at the Dees. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Handlebarz said:

Very happy to welcome back Jones … When you’ve been in the system so long you don’t need to listen to another head coach to tell you what to do 

What about differing ways and plans only being taught under virtually one club or a certain style. 
We need a left field person to dramatically alter our style of game plan and give the players back their flair and love of the game. Not be suppressed by defence and contest perpetually. 

• Like 1

This news doesn't excite me. Would prefer a proven assistant coach with intel than a club legend with very little external experience. Maybe this has more to do with a culture reset 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Heart Beats True said:

This news doesn't excite me. Would prefer a proven assistant coach with intel than a club legend with very little external experience. Maybe this has more to do with a culture reset 🤷‍♂️

100% thats what this is. Building back some standards that have dropped away. We tried for Sloan who knocked it back and this is the backup plan.

Would prefer he wasn't a line coach and more in the development side of things.

I think this is also about getting our two midfield bulls back engaged and onboard with a younger more recent(ish) retired player who can relate better. 

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 4

Just now, Young Blood said:

100% thats what this is. Building back some standards that have dropped away. We tried for Sloan who knocked it back and this is the backup plan. Would prefer he wasn't a line coach and more in the development side of things.

Yep. If he’s the second choice to Sloane as the leadership, development role that’s fine.

Midfield and forward line need experienced coaches. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Would prefer he wasn't a line coach and more in the development side of things.

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yep. If he’s the second choice to Sloane as the leadership, development role that’s fine.

Midfield and forward line need experienced coaches. 

I thought the same, so, like me, prepare to be challenged on that should he actually be brought on board. It's not going to be a development role apparently. Fingers crossed that this turns out one of those 'genius in hindsight' calls by Richardson and Shand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BW511 said:

Interesting to see where this leaves us with other assistants?

Jones coming in to help in a leadership role seems a bit odd, given he handed the leadership over to Gawn/Viney. 

Jones hasn't been earmarked for the leadership role apparently, but there may be another ex-Demon in line there. It's all rumour at this stage however, so we wait and see what actually occurs over the next few weeks.

• Like 1