Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

adonski

57 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

Please remember this is likely pick 6 and 10 after Levi Ashcroft gets to Brisbane, and possible other academies could push pick 10 out as well.

Yes, but everyone knew the f/s and academy picks were going to happen, so the actual numbers are by-the-by, except for the points value of where bids are made to the f/s or academy clubs. It's the order of the remaining players that we are moving up for.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We’ll probably end up with pick 2 and Lalor or O’Sullivan, hard to see us not trying to get up even further we do it every year 

I’d be disappointed if we don’t hold 5&9 in what seems to be an even draft at the top end 

It’s not like there are a couple of Harley Reid’s available that would justify trying to push higher up the draft board 

• Like 11

I hope everyone realises that if this trade does eventuate then it could never have happened but for the selfless act of life member and premiership player Alex Neal-Bullen when he sacrificed the remaining years of his career in the big smoke for four or five years of drudgery, boredom and despair in Adelaide. 

Cheers Nibbler. I’ll drink a toast 🥂 to you when we win next year’s flag and the one after that with all of that young talent coming into the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Pick 5 will in theory be an A grade mid, essentially a Gus replacement, any of Smith, O'Sullivan, Langford, Lalor, Draiper, Smillie would make an immediate impact for us next year. 

Pick 9 is interesting, we could go tall and grab someone like Armstrong or Tauru or another mid like Reid, Lindsay, Travaglia 

Hope we get smilie looks like the modern prototype 194cm mid. That or just go for the best ball users that seems to be more important than ever these days

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

Easy there big fella, we haven't even got the pick yet let alone made our selection!

Do you take misery pills of a morning?

Why do you even bother?  You should follow another sport as the MFC seems to do your head in (constantly)

You once told us you were a talent spotter or am I mixing you up with one of your many other guises?  

But if so, who should we pick with 5 & 9, almighty one?

Because both picks are coming our way

Edited by Macca
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

The Salem+Tyson vs Josh Kelly conundrum rears it's ugly head

I’d say Salem was instrumental in winning a flag, and Kelly has been great but hasn’t got GWS that far really. Not saying we ‘won’ that trade but I’m happy with what we’ve got from Salo over the journey

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

I’d say Salem was instrumental in winning a flag, and Kelly has been great but hasn’t got GWS that far really. Not saying we ‘won’ that trade but I’m happy with what we’ve got from Salo over the journey

Important to note that outside of Salem and Tyson (who played some great games for us), we also received a third round pick as part of that trade which became Jayden Hunt.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I hope everyone realises that if this trade does eventuate then it could never have happened but for the selfless act of life member and premiership player Alex Neal-Bullen when he sacrificed the remaining years of his career in the big smoke for four or five years of drudgery, boredom and despair in Adelaide. 

Cheers Nibbler. I’ll drink a toast 🥂 to you when we win next year’s flag and the one after that with all of that young talent coming into the club.

Or the unselfishness of young McAdam coming to us for a F2

What might have been ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Macca said:

The move is effectively midfield insurance and gives us quality depth in the midfield at the same time (I'm in the 2 x Mids camp and given JT's track history in drafting mids, we're in safe hands)  

As others have intimated, Rivers could go back, Petracca predominantly forward etc etc if it all worked out

And many of the highly fancied Mids in the draft are plug-in-and-play types

In an 18 team comp, to get picks 5 & 9 is a dream come true.  List-wise, we're not in bad shape to start off with (fully fit & switched on) 

As for the 2025 draft, we could end up in a powerful trading position to get back into the 1st round anyway

Or hopefully just have to worry about points for White junior. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Or hopefully just have to worry about points for White junior. 

We might gave to trump up a bit more than what we're hearing (to the Bombers) but it will be worth it

And I'm convinced that the need to replenish the midfield (with picks 5 & 9?) has got a lot to do with the uneasy situation with Trac & Clarrie

The club can't sit idly by and hope for the best.  So go the other way and create a position of strength

By doing that we can trade and bargain in the next off-season knowing that if we lose either player (or both) we won't be left short

In fact, if both are worth 2 first round draft picks then both combined are worth 4 first round draft picks.  That's a lot of picks

As well as picks 5 & 9 this off-season

So go hard this off-season and then get Trac & Clarrie fit and firing and playing well

By default, increasing their trade value for the 2025 off-season (if either or both want out)

In the background there's JT who doesn't draft busts.  His ability puts us into a no-lose situation

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

Further to the above

It's a difficult assignment to add 2 or 3 very good players to a list in any given year.  And in the last 20 years, there has been quite a few years where we didn't even add one very good player (but that's going back aways) 

So since 2021 we've added McVee, JVR, Windsor and maybe Tholstrup

Is there a 5th very good player?  Maybe Daniel Turner if he keeps improving

But the total is 3 of 4 which is short on the desired outcome of at least 2 very good players added per season

An example of 3 is the off-season of 2019 

Kozzie, Jackson & Rivers 

Add 2 per season and if the average career for the very good player is 10 years then in theory, you'll constantly have about 16-20 very good players on your list

The window is always open if the above happens.  The 5 year window just keeps getting extended

So picks 5 & 9 under the magic of Taylor and we might get lucky with another one to make it 3

Just keep bringing in the talent because it's the talent that wins you games more than any other factor

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, bing181 said:

Well done Tim Lamb.

(if it comes off)

What say what.  
Don’t tell me you’re complimenting the Tim Lamb that there’s 8 pages on here discussing sacking because he’s no good.  

The same Tim Lamb that did a similar trade last year to move up picks and get Tholstrup.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Its Time for Another said:

What say what.  
Don’t tell me you’re complimenting the Tim Lamb that there’s 8 pages on here discussing sacking because he’s no good.  

The same Tim Lamb that did a similar trade last year to move up picks and get Tholstrup.  

Tholstrup gets to a lot of contests.  He's got plenty of 'go' in him as well.  Some players are inconspicuous when it matters but the Kolt is often thereabouts.  Which is a great sign for the future

The game is too fast for him right now so he'll need another season or 2 to get into the tempo.  From what I've seen, he'll be a good player

With Windsor it's different as he has terrific leg speed off the mark.  He's already caught a number of opposition players napping.  Will be a player

As for Lamb, trading just 2 spots up looks like it will be well worth it.  And Taylor's long journey to talk to the lad (Tholstrup) was well worth it as well

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Macca said:

Tholstrup gets to a lot of contests.  He's got plenty of 'go' in him as well.  Some players are inconspicuous when it matters but the Kolt is often thereabouts.  Which is a great sign for the future

The game is too fast for him right now so he'll need another season or 2 to get into the tempo.  From what I've seen, he'll be a good player

With Windsor it's different as he has terrific leg speed off the mark.  He's already caught a number of opposition players napping.  Will be a player

As for Lamb, trading just 2 spots up looks like it will be well worth it.  And Taylor's long journey to talk to the lad (Tholstrup) was well worth it as well

I just don't see it with Tholstrup. Reminds me of a poor mans Callum Ward. All the draft write-ups were about X-factor, but all I see is a work horse type. Can someone tell me what or where the X-factor is?

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Just now, RyanD said:

I just don't see it with Tholstrup. Reminds me of a poor mans Callum Ward. All the draft write-ups were about X-factor, but all I see is a work horse type. Can someone tell me what or where the X-factor is?

Writing off a 19yo already?

Half the battle for a teenager is getting to contests and then adjusting to a sport which is miles quicker and physical than under 18 footy

So Tholstrup is getting to the contests when a number of debutants don't

Adjusting to the pace of the game takes time unless a player is a step ahead of the rest

The draft can throw up mixed results so throwing up descriptions like X-factor should be taken with a grain of salt

Watching his highlights at under 18 level showed a player who gets to a lot of contests and then having the time to dispose of the ball ... and at AFL level, disposing of the ball accurately and quickly takes time to learn

Patience, Grasshopper

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Macca said:

Writing off a 19yo already?

Half the battle for a teenager is getting to contests and then adjusting to a sport which is miles quicker and physical than under 18 footy

So Tholstrup is getting to the contests when a number of debutants don't

Adjusting to the pace of the game takes time unless a player is a step ahead of the rest

The draft can throw up mixed results so throwing up descriptions like X-factor should be taken with a grain of salt

Watching his highlights at under 18 level showed a player who gets to a lot of contests and then having the time to dispose of the ball ... and at AFL level, disposing of the ball accurately and quickly takes time to learn

Patience, Grasshopper

Got to admit that I was a little thrown off this season, with more of the hype seeming to be that Tholstrup was the more AFL ready, yet it was Winsor that really shone (which I'm not complaining about, because Caleb was nothing short of sensational this season and definitely looks the goods for the future).  I haven't really seen enough of Tholstrup to make as much of assessment of my own, but take the points you are making Macca and will be watching with interest over future seasons.

• Like 3