Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

2 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

Love his speed and aggression in the contest but gee his disposal leaves a bit to be desired.

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

Agreed. No point being daring and quick if you’re turning it over or failing to find a target.

Are you guys just basing this off this one video? Because that would be silly. The kid is 18 years old playing in a high pressure WAFL grand final. I'm cutting him some slack for some poor disposal in a big game.

He's certainly not an elite kick but he's decent and has shown this more at junior levels. A raw prospect at the moment but of my Perth friends who have been to a lot of his games have said he looks like he'll developing into a Nat Fyfe / Jordan Dawson mix of player as a powerful big bodied midfielder who can break lines and a terrific mark. He obviously needs to work on his decision making amongst a few other things. But the kids going to be a gun.

His draft combine was super impressive, finishing in the top five for agility and vertical jumps.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/bo-allan/

A ready-made, powerful midfielder, Allan has plied his trade at the coalface and off half-back for Peel Thunder in 2024. From half-back he offers run and carry, coupled with clean ball use by foot and great vision to pick off targets at speed. Through the midfield, Allan’s one-wood is his contested game.

He defends hard, closes opponents down quickly with pace, and tackles with intent. Once his side has won the football he uses his big frame to drive his legs and burst away from stoppages, then launch the ball deep inside 50.

Allan plays with confidence and dare that encourages him to break tackles, bust through packs and explode into space. Even at WAFL League level he showed an innate ability to shrug off would-be tacklers, including established senior and ex-AFL players.

Allan was consistent at whatever level he played at throughout the year; averaging 20 disposals and six tackles per game for Western Australia, 21 disposals and 5.5 marks for Peel Thunder’s Colts side, and 11.5 disposals for their League side.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Are you guys just basing this off this one video? Because that would be silly. The kid is 18 years old playing in a high pressure WAFL grand final. I'm cutting him some slack for some poor disposal in a big game.

He's certainly not an elite kick but he's decent and has shown this more at junior levels. A raw prospect at the moment but of my Perth friends who have been to a lot of his games have said he looks like he'll developing into a Nat Fyfe / Jordan Dawson mix of player as a powerful big bodied midfielder who can break lines and a terrific mark. He obviously needs to work on his decision making amongst a few other things. But the kids going to be a gun.

His draft combine was super impressive, finishing in the top five for agility and vertical jumps.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/bo-allan/

A ready-made, powerful midfielder, Allan has plied his trade at the coalface and off half-back for Peel Thunder in 2024. From half-back he offers run and carry, coupled with clean ball use by foot and great vision to pick off targets at speed. Through the midfield, Allan’s one-wood is his contested game.

He defends hard, closes opponents down quickly with pace, and tackles with intent. Once his side has won the football he uses his big frame to drive his legs and burst away from stoppages, then launch the ball deep inside 50.

Allan plays with confidence and dare that encourages him to break tackles, bust through packs and explode into space. Even at WAFL League level he showed an innate ability to shrug off would-be tacklers, including established senior and ex-AFL players.

Allan was consistent at whatever level he played at throughout the year; averaging 20 disposals and six tackles per game for Western Australia, 21 disposals and 5.5 marks for Peel Thunder’s Colts side, and 11.5 disposals for their League side.

All of these draftees are just prospects at this stage so all we can do is look at limited footage and information and make an assessment.

I've seen a few of these videos and he's definitely had better games but I still think he's pretty shaky by foot. If you've found a game where he's cleaner I'd love to see it.

He's definitely got talent but I think there are question marks on his game. He takes on everything which is entertaining but it also means he gets caught a lot. Might need some coaching to pick his moments better. My main concern is that he has a tendency to just bomb it long after getting clear into some space which does him a disservice as that should be where he's looking for shorter targets and making it hard for the defenders. We also have a lot of players who do that.

As I said, love his aggression and speed. Being able to burst away from contest is gold. If we think he's the best available with 9 then I'm happy with that.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2024 at 21:53, Nascent said:

I'm hoping Berry will be in the mix for 9. Started out as a small forward but got midfield time throughout the year. 

Has speed, kicks well off both feet but left foot dominant, one touch player, tough in the contest and has good forward IQ hitting the scoreboard regularly. This kid is class.

One of the best field kicks in it for mine, probably along with Lindsay. Pure silk. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, layzie said:

One of the best field kicks in it for mine, probably along with Lindsay. Pure silk. 

Joe Berry looks good, definitely a go-er with some footy IQ. A touch on the small side but tackled with strength and had enough leg in Q4 to slot a set shot from 45m...one for the shortlist. 

• Like 2

On 20/10/2024 at 22:11, spirit of norm smith said:

@Nascent Joe Berry.  Yes if only we had another pick inside the best 15. I’d still have (in order of preference) Tauru, Travaglia, Lindsay & Allan as ahead of Berry at pick 9.  Having said that, it’s not a knock on Berry, as he is still very talented.  This draft has future stars imv all the way through the first round.  

You haven’t got even one if the best 7/8 mids in mind. Not realistic. Tauru will be lucky to be T 9 If we want him 5 might be best then a gun mid will still be available at 9. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Taj Hotton at pick 9.

Just so we can be the first club in history to have two Taj's on the list.

He's a real JT pick. Lalor/Jagga at 5.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Taj Hotton at pick 9.

Just so we can be the first club in history to have two Taj's on the list.

Yeah, interested to see where he goes. Obviously the ACL had him out of sight, out of mind, but in one of his last games he had 32 touches, 10 marks and 4 goals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 58er said:

You haven’t got even one if the best 7/8 mids in mind. Not realistic. Tauru will be lucky to be T 9 If we want him 5 might be best then a gun mid will still be available at 9. 

Here’s my top group 

1. Richmond. Sam Lalor. 

**Matched bid**Lions. Levi Ashcroft. 

2. North Melbourne. Alix Tauru
3. Carlton (via West Coast). Finn O’Sullivan 
4. Adelaide. Sid Draper
5. Melbourne . Harvey Langford
6. Richmond (via Gold Coast). Jagga Smith

**matched bid**Suns. Leonardo Lombard 

7. St Kilda. Josh Smillie
8. St Kilda (via Josh Battle compensation pick). Harry Armstrong 
9. Melbourne (via Essendon). Xavier Lindsay  
10. Richmond (via Fremantle) Luke Trainor
11. Richmond (via Fremantle, Collingwood)  Tobie Travaglia
12. West Coast (via Carlton) Bo Allan 

**matched bid** Ess. Isaac Kako

13. Port Adelaide (via Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs). Joe Berry
14. Fremantle (via Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton).  Taj Hotton. 
15. Greater Western Sydney. Jobe Shanahan 
16. Greater Western Sydney (via Harry Perryman compensation pick). Murphy Reid. 
17. Western Bulldogs (via Geelong). Cooper Hynes 

**matched bid**  Lions. Sam Marshall 

18. Richmond (via Fremantle, Port Adelaide). Jack Whitlock. 

**matched bid** Blues. Ben Camporeale

19. Sydney. Harrison Oliver
20. Richmond (via Brisbane). Alex Dodson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Here’s my top group 

1. Richmond. Sam Lalor. 

4. Adelaide. Sid Draper

I'd be so underwhelmed if this actually happened. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, adonski said:

I don't think you trade into a draft to take a kid with a busted knee

I’m sure it would all be discussed.  It was PCL (not ACL) so running within 8 weeks (from 1/9/24) . Should be into pre season by 1st week of December.  Given draft is on 20 November, youngsters are on modified program until early January so unlikely to be an issue. One of the top group might slide so all academic on the night.  Alternatively happy to pick  Travaglia or Allan at pick 9. All the top 15-18 in this draft are very good. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Here’s my top group 

1. Richmond. Sam Lalor. 

4. Adelaide. Sid Draper

I think you’ve nailed that Sons, unless North trade pick 2 or there’s another real bolter other than Tauru I think this has to be real close. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

So let’s see your (realistic) Dees likely picks and your top 20 (excl academy and father son) … is … 

Angry Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Take a breather dude, when did I dispute your list and it's realistic approach? All I said was if this eventuated on draft night, I'd be underwhelmed? AKA hoping for some sliders on draft night?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Demon_JB said:

Angry Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Take a breather dude, when did I dispute your list and it's realistic approach? All I said was if this eventuated on draft night, I'd be underwhelmed? AKA hoping for some sliders on draft night?

I’m not sure who you could like that Langford would underwhelm you, he’s about the best possible result. Because he’s about the best possible player.

Lindsay at pick 9 might be a tad underwhelming but it could be very smart business. I’d be whelmed by watching his kicking!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m not sure who you could like that Langford would underwhelm you, he’s about the best possible result. Because he’s about the best possible player.

Lindsay at pick 9 might be a tad underwhelming but it could be very smart business. I’d be whelmed by watching his kicking!

Langford yes, Lindsay no. 

• Like 2