Pert and Roffey - The Review Thread

Demons11

I hope any review they do looks at our high performance management. Been poor since Burgo has left. I know Griffith was supposed to be his apprentice but we’ve got clear deficiencies in our fitness.

If we’re serious about turning things around in a hurry, I’d throw the cheque book at Peter Burge. The Hawks are clearly the fittest team in the comp and he’s also got runs on the board as he was at Richmond during their 3 flags.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I’m utterly confused here: from a governance perspective, oughtn’t a board review be conducted by an external, independent entity? It seems to me it could be compromised otherwise. What is it trying to achieve if internal?

Same for a FD review: that should be conducted by an external entity even if the findings are kept internal.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

I’m utterly confused here: from a governance perspective, oughtn’t a board review be conducted by an external, independent entity? It seems to me it could be compromised otherwise. What is it trying to achieve if internal?

Same for a FD review: that should be conducted by an external entity even if the findings are kept internal.

I agree that a review of the board needs to be independent. But if we have some changes to the board (Stephen Smith as President), then the board should review the Football Department and Administration.

I previously had the view that the review of the FD should be independent, because I feared that Roffey was too close to Pert and Goodwin. Now that she's gone, I'd be comfortable with a review being undertaken by the board if it was overseen by Stephen Smith.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

The board members reviewing the board and members of the board

Monty Python stuff  Covering issues that will be exposed in court

Complete waste of time B Green Sacrifice

On 06/09/2024 at 17:05, Demons1858 said:

The other one is employee and player satisfaction and that C word culture and lets not forget the training base... a review should answer all those issues

True but I think much of that is fd issues. Not like the Pies where Kelly wants to be involved in football and has now lost one of the greats in wright.

23 hours ago, Kent said:

The board members reviewing the board and members of the board

Monty Python stuff  Covering issues that will be exposed in court

Complete waste of time B Green Sacrifice

Exactly - but it's more like Yes Minister than Monty: never have an inquiry where you don't know the the result beforehand

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

True but I think much of that is fd issues. Not like the Pies where Kelly wants to be involved in football and has now lost one of the greats in wright.

After Collingwood's latest blow up where are all the media comments about their 'culture'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/09/2024 at 09:20, mo64 said:

I agree that a review of the board needs to be independent. But if we have some changes to the board (Stephen Smith as President), then the board should review the Football Department and Administration.

I previously had the view that the review of the FD should be independent, because I feared that Roffey was too close to Pert and Goodwin. Now that she's gone, I'd be comfortable with a review being undertaken by the board if it was overseen by Stephen Smith.

You do realise the board is bigger than Roffey... none of them can be unbiased.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

How hard is it to just get a consultant and a couple of old footy players and admins?

Its not cheap but you’re saving money in  PR clean up and you might actually get something from it.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 04/09/2024 at 20:35, waynewussell said:

There are quite a few people here who either need to declare their allegiances or cough up their information. The anti-Pert faction sounds like insider dealings. That’s a political push as far as I can see. I don’t mind ‘moving on’, as it has been put, but I smell political motivation behind what’s being presented as an appraisal of conduct. Please correct me if I am wrong, but don’t simply wave a banner!

Careful, I’d say your allegiance is showing.

I’ve long been a firm believer that football clubs reap what they sow approximately 5years earlier. PJ & Roos laid the groundwork for our flag in 2021 (including significant “managing up”).

In my opinion - Pert was an ill-considered captains choice without consultation of others that had worked with him beyond favourable references. I’m aware that some key figures in the industry were shocked & dismayed that they weren’t spoken to prior to his appointment. While he has his strengths, I also consider him to generally come across pompous, smug and dismissive. Ultimately, I don’t consider his presence to be conducive to ongoing success, just maintaining the status quo for a short time before a gradual decline.

Likewise Roffey, who was happy to just let everyone do their job without interference initially (a commendable trait) while taking credit for successes. Great at the time, but the role needs more. And in my opinion she would ultimately prove to be someone who promoted herself as an approachable my-door-is-always-open type, but when approached was actually a why-is-this-person-talking-to-me type. Her advertised skillset also didn’t appear to bear any fruit.

I’ve said somewhere before on this forum (maybe deleted, not sure) that we simply “didn’t have many friends” in the AFL or media circles. Some didn’t think that was important & seem happy with the sentiment of “not being liked” as it’s apparently a sign of success. But the problem is that we are a club trying to gain a foothold & begging for land/training facility to call our own, and for the rules to be changed in our favour for once as opposed to the opposite... these things don’t happen if you’re generally presenting a very unlikeable front. Maybe “friends” is not the correct term, but if you’re seen as “charmless bullies” you have a serious problem.

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

Was listening to triple M yesterday and Jay Clark and Damo Barrett stated the following

• Kate Roffey is the first of a few changes. One of those big changes is Gary Pert also being pushed out potentially. 

• Steven Smith is pretty much in the box seat to be our next president. Will be going on a much needed holiday in the next couple of weeks after negotiating some pretty big business deals and may be announced in the back end of the year.

• Trac and Goodwin caught up at a Cafe in Armadale on Thursday and by all reports it was a positive one for both parties.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

• Trac and Petracca caught up at a Cafe in Armadale on Thursday and by all reports it was a positive one for both parties.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Was listening to triple M yesterday and Jay Clark and Damo Barrett stated the following

• Kate Roffey is the first of a few changes. One of those big changes is Gary Pert also being pushed out potentially. 

• Steven Smith is pretty much in the box seat to be our next president. Will be going on a much needed holiday in the next couple of weeks after negotiating some pretty big business deals and may be announced in the back end of the year.

Trac and Petracca caught up at a Cafe in Armadale on Thursday and by all reports it was a positive one for both parties.

Trac and Petracca?

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

• Trac and Goodwin caught up at a Cafe in Armadale on Thursday and by all reports it was a positive one for both parties.

my suspicion is that pert will go some time into the 2025 season, not prior to it

i don't understand why smith would WANT to come on to the board and be president if he's that exhausted from his long legal career; will he be actually motivated to enact change or is he simply coming on as a last resort for the club?

i love the way these players / officials always meet in the same places; catching up at philippa's for a croissant is hardly out of the way - now if you'd told me that they shared a snag out at casey watching the aflw then i'd be genuinely shocked

• Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

my suspicion is that pert will go some time into the 2025 season, not prior to it

i don't understand why smith would WANT to come on to the board and be president if he's that exhausted from his long legal career; will he be actually motivated to enact change or is he simply coming on as a last resort for the club?

i love the way these players / officials always meet in the same places; catching up at philippa's for a croissant is hardly out of the way - now if you'd told me that they shared a snag out at casey watching the aflw then i'd be genuinely shocked

Does Pert have a contract or is he ongoing?

Re smith, being a footy club president is an unpaid passion project. No where near comparable to a full-time high intensity profession.

Edited by KozzyCan
  • Thinking 1

And this is how Mr Pert acts towards a member if you step out of line (from Lawrence's deposition in the recent Federal Court case):

On 22 November 2022 at 12:30pm, I met with Mr Pert for a coffee at his request.
During our meeting Mr Pert said words to the effect that:
(a) MFC had incurred costs of some $500,000 in the last two years as a result of
my actions in running in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 elections, and a separate
proceeding in the Supreme Court of Victoria (in which I successfully obtained
access to the register of members); and
(b) there would be many ripple effects if I continued to agitate governance issues,
such as player sponsorships (for example, my platinum sponsorship of Kade
Chandler) no longer being offered to me, and my donations (such as my
Club 11 donation for the development of Gosch’s Paddock) no longer being
accepted by MFC.

On or around 5 December 2022, I spoke to ....... who was coordinator of the
Inner Sanctum and Player Sponsors, over the telephone. ...... informed me
that I would not be offered the opportunity to renew my platinum player sponsorship
of Kade Chandler in 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

23 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

I'd like a PJ review from top to bottom and Al Nicholson to become CEO. That'd be nice. 

PJ sounds like the natural choice.

I do feel like Geoff Walsh has got good experience with reviews but that might be more footy department focussed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

And this is how Mr Pert acts towards a member if you step out of line (from Lawrence's deposition in the recent Federal Court case):

On 22 November 2022 at 12:30pm, I met with Mr Pert for a coffee at his request.
During our meeting Mr Pert said words to the effect that:
(a) MFC had incurred costs of some $500,000 in the last two years as a result of
my actions in running in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 elections, and a separate
proceeding in the Supreme Court of Victoria (in which I successfully obtained
access to the register of members); and
(b) there would be many ripple effects if I continued to agitate governance issues,
such as player sponsorships (for example, my platinum sponsorship of Kade
Chandler) no longer being offered to me, and my donations (such as my
Club 11 donation for the development of Gosch’s Paddock) no longer being
accepted by MFC.

On or around 5 December 2022, I spoke to ....... who was coordinator of the
Inner Sanctum and Player Sponsors, over the telephone. ...... informed me
that I would not be offered the opportunity to renew my platinum player sponsorship
of Kade Chandler in 2023.

Where did you get this from @Hawk the Demon?