James Peatling

Dannyz

40 minutes ago, Deez21 said:

Peatling now has a 5 year deal on the table from someone so this probably won’t be enough 

Good player, but the bidding seems to be heading toward excess. 

The body of work isn’t significant with Peatling, 5 years is a big investment.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Deez21 said:

Peatling now has a 5 year deal on the table from someone so this probably won’t be enough 

What a shame. 
I think we were possibly the first or second club to offer him 4, so you can’t say we didn’t give it our best. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dannyz said:

What a shame. 
I think we were possibly the first or second club to offer him 4, so you can’t say we didn’t give it our best. 

I'd be hoping the club sees the value of upping the offer

or peatling sees the opportunity of full time midfield minutes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dannyz said:

What a shame. 

Is there an inkling we might our offer to overs? Let's face it you don't win these battles offering under the others.

• Like 1

Not worth 5 years. He's a decent player, but reality is he's a second tier midfielder. You don't give long contracts, big dollars, or high draft picks at trade for him. 

Good we had a crack, but not worth what he's getting. Fair play to him milking the $$$ when he's overvalued.

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Not worth 5 years. He's a decent player, but reality is he's a second tier midfielder. You don't give long contracts, big dollars, or high draft picks at trade for him. 

Good we had a crack, but not worth what he's getting. Fair play to him milking the $$$ when he's overvalued.

I’m not sure I agree with you here.

We gave James Harmes an incredibly long contract a few years ago and he never had a period of sustained form like Peatling. 

The cost of change is always higher. More money, more years and more compensation. I’d do 5 years. We need to take a few risks to bolster our list before Gawn retires.

• Like 2

I would have liked to get him but I don’t think we should pay overs to get him over the line. Both in terms of cash and length of contract. 
Bit of a red flag for me that his best bit of form comes just as he’s out of contract and trying to get the best deal possible. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

It’s a no from me, happy with Rivers and McVee, maybe draft a young buck with promise.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I’m not sure I agree with you here.

We gave James Harmes an incredibly long contract a few years ago and he never had a period of sustained form like Peatling. 

The cost of change is always higher. More money, more years and more compensation. I’d do 5 years. We need to take a few risks to bolster our list before Gawn retires.

The Harmes deal was a mistake, and likely contributed to this decade's poor track record of AFL recruitment and the depth erosion we've seen post premiership. You can't pay role players overs (speculating in Harmes' case) on long deals when you already have 4/5 guys on top end coin - go and find yourself a Tom Atkins on $100k if you need a defensive minded midfielder who's never going to be a needle mover.

Edited by Davos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davos said:

The Harmes deal was a mistake, and likely contributed to this decade's poor track record of AFL recruitment and the depth erosion we've seen post premiership. You can't pay role players overs (speculating in Harmes' case) on long deals when you already have 4/5 guys on top end coin - go and find yourself a Tom Atkins on $100k if you need a defensive minded midfielder who's never going to be a needle mover.

That’s not true. He had a stretch contract which paid him ok but added years. If we hadn’t traded Harmes, his contract would still be pretty modest. Hardly impact TPP.

My point was, that if we are to extract a ready to go mid, from a Premiership contender no less, who could help us win a premiership, why wouldn’t we pay him a bit more than market value and add a year? We have 2-3years tops to get another flag.

The types of contracts that have hurt us are the large multi year, multi million dollar deals. Peatling’s contract won’t go near that level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deez21 said:

I'd be hoping the club sees the value of upping the offer

or peatling sees the opportunity of full time midfield minutes 

Where would he be getting these full time midfield minutes? Casey?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davos said:

I think you are not correct with the sweeping statement of the poor track of recruitment this decade. 

I realise that our 4 best have probably been May 2019 Lever 2018 then Lingers and BBB in 2021.  They are not too blame nor are the Club as the Flag was ( and could still be) a result of their extra ability and professionalism plus performance.

After that we started arranging our star players ( Max TracClarry Angus JV. ) and it started to get out of hand in the length and occasionally a little overs in payment. Tmac got a 4 year term free his standout year in 2018 after 53 goals in 2018. 

Harmes was rewarded with a deal too long and this has resulted in some role players getting deals too long and reducing our flexibility to recruit and trade. Hunter Schache Laurie are examples of that. 

So we need not be so generous it seems because that has come back to bite us. 

The long term stars deals have served us pretty well but lesser lights have possibly been overvalued and not paid their way. 

Also we have joined picks to move up the draft order recently which has reduced our no of selections in alleged poor drafts, and not used picks after second round using rookie lists to take a chance.

This year is interesting as Yze Mentha and another lad I think are Academy or F/Son selections and surely it’s a squeeze if we don’t move say Hore or Tommo stays. 

The days of a No 53 like Tmac should be good in this deep draft so hope we use or picks wisely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Peatling takes a 5 year deal somewhere then the trade price will be decent - probably something in the vicinity of the ANB pick 25. GWS aren't going to trade him for pick 50, they could push him to the draft and Richmond will snap him up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, old55 said:

If Peatling takes a 5 year deal somewhere then the trade price will be decent - probably something in the vicinity of the ANB pick 25. GWS aren't going to trade him for pick 50, they could push him to the draft and Richmond will snap him up.

I'd trade pick 25 for Peatling in a heartbeat. This guy is going to be better then ANB.

He's just turned 24, his key strengths are his agility, speed and footy IQ. In his draft years the things he had to work on was his strength/size, endurance and disposal efficiency. Since then he's gone from 73kg to 79kg, built his tank while being able to maintain that speed and ability get in and out of traffic with quick feet and smarts. Hard to say how much his disposal has improved but considering this season that 50% of his possessions were contested (7.1 per game) his overall disposal efficiency of 70% is pretty good for a midfielder who played inside a fair bit.

He can play inside or outside mid and you just love his attack on the contest and want to tackle. In the two finals played he really showed how committed his is defensively with his pressure and tackling. He also showed his versatility by hitting the scoreboard playing the high HF pressure role and I think could even play down back if needed with how well he reads the play/ball with strong marking for his size

Very similar type player to Rivers, drives the legs out of packs with a penetrating kick.

Whoever gets him will be stoked to get such a well rounded player already who has had to prove himself with immense improvement over three years and hasn't even reached his full potential.

He is exactly what this team needs and I think in a few years looking back pick 25 for him might be a steal.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 6