Christian Petracca

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No chance - the pregame for our round 23 match had a segment in "Collingwood's youth" and were glowing in how bright the future looked. Proceeded to list a bunch of names I'd barely heard of. I was literally arguing with the TV about how pathetic it was trying to blow smoke up Collingwood's [censored] and asking what about Melbourne's youth, you know the kids who have actually shown something at AFL level? My wife and her family who were over all think I'm a lunatic 🤣

afl.com had an article in the lead up to our game tiltled:

Don't dream it's over: what pies need to make finals

the final paragraph:

'It technically isn't over yet, but surely not even McRae's miracle workers could pull this off.'

McRae's miracle workers?

How many times in VFL/AFL history has the premier failed to make the finals the following year?

Some miracle workers.

• Like 9
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Flemo56 said:

My take on this tracca saga is pretty simple. Our brand of defensive footy, that won us a PREMIERSHIP, has become too easy too beat. Tracca’s frustration with it was on display in the Alice against freo. They walked all over us that day, it was embarrassing, and then repeated it again in WA. 

Goody, I love ya pal, but ffs let’s attack the preseason with an offensive game plan, we still have the defensive power with May, Lever and co. Our skillset need’s a lot of work Chocco.

Tracca to Goody-Our game plan sucks mate let’s change or I want out.

love ya’s all demon family.

I know you'te being somewhat flippant Flemo but anything's possible.

The 'games' against Freo & the Eagles were all at a level that were unacceptable for this club and took us back to 2008 - 2014 type horror years.

That one team (Freo... not even a solid finals contender) has been  able to so easily pick us apart since Rnd 11 2022 (when we were on fire at the time), speaks volumes and was a reasonable basis of a blue print for all teams that followed.

Simon should have seen that his general Melbourne way method at that point onwards, was now under threat of succumbing to teams that could similarly replicate Freo.

Not being in the inner sanctum we will never know exactly what discussions took place during the exit interview, with other members of the FD and the leadership group / Max.etc.

But part of it being about game style now mostly redundant would not surprise me at all.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

the final paragraph:

'It technically isn't over yet, but surely not even McRae's miracle workers could pull this off.'

McRae's miracle workers?

How many times in VFL/AFL history has the premier failed to make the finals the following year?

Some miracle workers.

Add they lucked in with 3 wins below a goal and drew one. IMO all of those were from late dubious umpiring decision. By contrast the dees lost 3 by less than a goal. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 4
  • Clap 3

Geez I have come onto this thread after a days absence and it’s gone from page 42 to 243 pages. Something tells me something has happened!

That has to be a record of some sort for DL. 

Thank god Petracca has committed now all the whoha from the media can STOP. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oxdee said:

You do realise there’s something to this story. Morris had every right to report it 

See, this is where I have a problem.

Not with Morris' per se - he is  paid to gin up angst and clicks.

But is there really a huge story here?

I mean it could all be boiled down to:

'Star player unhappy with how injury managed and concerned premiership wondow is shut wants to get to a more successful Victorian club.'

A bog standard story written a million times.

All the rest of it, for example the suggestion tracc not happy with how clarry was managed is old, stale news rolled into this one to create a club in crisis narrative.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not going to dance to the tune of peanuts like Morris like some puppet.

I posted a joke early in this thread asking for a gif with Morris as the organ grinder and demonland as the monkey.

And to be frank, that is what this thread largely feels like.

A bunch of adults dancing to the media's tune.

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, binman said:

the final paragraph:

McRae's miracle workers?

Some miracle workers.

It has been rare for reigning premier not to make finals, interestingly it has happened with 3 of last 4 premiers. Exception is us!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 4

11 hours ago, binman said:

I was thinking something similar.

If, and it's a big if, clarry gets super fit and tracc gets close to his optimal fitness we won't be talking about our midfield.

Particularly with kolt looking a monty to play as a mid forward pretty soon (waxing with tracc?) and having pick 5 in a draft with good midfield depth. 

JVR, Turner, Mcvee, Kolt and Windsor will go up a level with another preseason.

As you suggest, a huge preseason is critical - and if they can use this to get fired up all the good.

Having a few extra weeks break wont hurt either.

And, maybe will encourage a few more supporters and members to get to games, remembering that it makes a difference to the whole team, not just tracc 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

You do realise there’s something to this story. Morris had every right to report it 

Something to it, maybe but how much was fabricated we don’t know as there is a complete lack of evidence as to what was said.

Didnt warrant the vitriolic witch hunt by the press 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hardtack said:

I was born in Ringwood (Pine Valley Hospital - no longer in existence?

I went to primary school in Ringwood (Winnington Grammar - closed for business when I was in 5th grade)

I worked on Xmas school holidays at Myer Eastland.

I grew up in Heatherdale and Croydon.

I can’t recall much about the place other than it had a great slot car racetrack just near the train station.

I grew up in Mooroolbark and moved from there 25years ago and if I never see Ringwood again it will be too soon.

• Haha 4

Its a shame all this media took away from Collingwood missing this 8 after being premiers. That's usually an embarrassing achievement that needs to be punished.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

49 minutes ago, djr said:

It's interesting that as soon as Roffey got involved, the matter was settled.

U are kidding??

• Haha 3

Some predictable responses from the “nothing to see here!” types. Which is fine, you’re entitled to your opinion.

The fact of the matter, fact, is that Trac has been unhappy for a while. Well before the media got hold of it. It’s also fact that he has caused division within the ranks which will take time and effort to repair.

Has he received poor advice? Absolutely.

Has he committed to the club to see out the remainder of his contract? Nope.

Will his feedback result in changes? Seemingly so. Across the club potentially.

Will he get back to the pre injury Trac? He will do everything in his power to get back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

My takes from this whole imbroglio are:

1. the club leaks like a sieve. Stamp it out now.

2. trac needs better advisors. 

3. Kate Roffey needs to prep properly before interviews. And her and Pert need to can the corporate speak. Talk plainly to us members, acknowledge issues and communicate a plan to address

4. Max Gawn is an outstanding leader and communicator. Pert and Roffey take note

5. Stop talking about culture. Demonstrate culture through actions on the field.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

Its a Shame all this media took away from Collingwoos missing this 8 after being premiers. That's usually an embarrassing achievement that needs to be punished.

Nah the narrative is they were unlucky. It's already out there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, binman said:

I was thinking something similar.

If, and it's a big if, clarry gets super fit and tracc gets close to his optimal fitness we won't be talking about our midfield.

Particularly with kolt looking a monty to play as a mid forward pretty soon (waxing with tracc?) and having pick 5 in a draft with good midfield depth. 

JVR, Turner, Mcvee, Kolt and Windsor will go up a level with another preseason.

As you suggest, a huge preseason is critical - and if they can use this to get fired up all the good.

Having a few extra weeks break wont hurt either.

And a softer draw.

We do need to do more to our list than just add pick 5 though.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't agree with those who are saying "if Collingwood/Carlton have the capital next year, watch out".

For one, if we address the issues that have come to the fore, we may be able to reduce or eliminate what's been pushing Trac towards the door. Things will also feel and look better if we get back to winning again next year.

But more importantly, this time next year he'll still have a four year contract on a million a season, and he'll be 29 turning 30. One fewer year on the contract doesn't suddenly make it easier for another club to take him, or reduce our bargaining power.

More the point, as you say this time next year he will be just about to turn 30.

Seriously, what contender, even in the unlikely event they have space in their cap to pay a new player 1.2 million a year, would use that space to trade in a bloke at the back end of his career?

It would completely unbalance their salary cap.

Have people forgotten that the pies only recently had to off load an AA ruck and gun mid, not to mention pay part of their salary, because their contracts were too high.

And given tracc would still be contracted, what contender would give up the sort of draft picks and/or young guns they would need to offer up to satisfy the dees to land tracc.

The pies and blues would only consider spending that sort of capital on a Harley Reid, JHF or Darcy.

I mean, how would dees fans feel about us giving up our pick 5 and a couple of young players like Turner and Mcvee to bring in say Lachie Neale or the bont on a million bucks a year?

Talk in the media comparing the tracc scenario to Judd's is just ridiculous. 

Yes Judd, like tracc, was a superstar. But judd was 23 when he left the Eagles after 5 seasons and ended up playing 7 for the blues.

And another difference, a critical one, was the deal was all bit done when the rumours commenced. It doesn't sound like there were any serious conversations between teacc and say the pies.

A better comparison would be ablett going back to the cats.

Ablett was 33, but still playing good football and would have been on much better coin at the suns if he stayed than what the cats were prepared to pay him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Loose Men Everywhere said:

It has been rare for reigning premier not to make finals, interestingly it has happened with 3 of last 4 premiers. Exception is us!

I think it is a reflection of just how tough footy is anaerobicly now and how critical a good preseason is.

Non finalists have essentially an extra six weeks of recovery for players and time to get surgeries done, which sets up things for a good preseason.

No coincidence that we missed finals in the year before winning the flag.

And no surprise to see the cats top 4 the year after failing to make finals after winning a flag in 2022.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

My takes from this whole imbroglio are:

1. the club leaks like a sieve. Stamp it out now.

2. trac needs better advisors. 

3. Kate Roffey needs to prep properly before interviews. And her and Pert need to can the corporate speak. Talk plainly to us members, acknowledge issues and communicate a plan to address

4. Max Gawn is an outstanding leader and communicator. Pert and Roffey take note

5. Stop talking about culture. Demonstrate culture through actions on the field.

There are a lot of learnings to be had from both sides. Perhaps 3 sides. 
club admin. Coaching and players. And tracca and his advisers. 

all this should not have been allowed to play out publicly and not in the media. 
Make a statement through effort and commitment during preseason. Perhaps indulge some media person to help WCW and get a melb perspective.

a lot of errors on both sides. Only really caused problems to us the supporters. 
but trashed all the brand.

i will watch from afar.

• Like 1

So we're now at the 'reconciliation' stage of the 'reconciliation-redemption' narrative arc.

I'm looking forward to the next stage.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demonised said:

So we're now at the 'reconciliation' stage of the 'reconciliation-redemption' narrative arc.

I'm looking forward to the next stage.

The story writes itself:

Dees have a cracking preseason.

The Max, Jack, tracc and clarry band gets back together.

The young Turks (JVR, mcvee, Windsor, Kolt, disco and pick 5) make their own music.

The dees win the flag.

Tracc wins the Norm Smith.

Redemption reigns.

Traccs 'reach' goes nuclear.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1