Goodwin is the MAN!

On 05/08/2024 at 18:05, DEE fence said:

Just the title on the other thread makes me nauseous. 

Goodwin has delivered a period of sustained success. 

No real evidence of disharmony at the club.

His career tracks alot like Luke Beveridge, sustained criticism from a 30/20 hindsight POV.

No appreciation for the fine margins and luck involved by those calling for his head. Anyone would think he is Neeld 2.0

Has done an amazing job of blooding new talent.

Has made the occasional blue with selection, and perhaps could have been more ruthless regenerating the side after '21., but hard not to support the list that delivered a flag.

His method has been consistently good, if the team had executed better we would have played in the last two prelims. They don't hand out top 4 spots in a packet of corn flakes.

And I'm sorry that 17 other clubs don't lay down and give up their generational talent. Be real, the Max replacement is never going to be satisfying, deal with it.

spacer.png

You're the man!

• Haha 4

He is a good coach and has earned the right to pivot, regroup and go again. A few more angles and perspectives is whats needed. Maybe a shake up of the assistant coaches would be worth a go. Definitely list management is skewed. Is Chokko still raining magic? I have no idea but I hope all is looked at objectively.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

14 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’d love to see the Giants win their first premiership. To see Jesse and Toby (Snooze) as premiership players would be heartwarming. There’s a lot to like about GWS. Their comms. dept. is the best in the league and their fans are the most tolerable. Their cheer squad members are great. In particular, their banner crew. Funny, friendly people, here’s an example: 

This is our banner crew for the recent Essendon match…

7E6FF0B6-9D31-47A1-96F9-5DB8DE12AA46.thumb.jpeg.75cb5ed52852c494b19b7538d203486d.jpeg

And this is our banner crew for the Giants game, unaware we were being mass-photobombed by their entire banner crew…

8EAB1EEB-497C-4988-979A-9643057999EE.thumb.jpeg.94f3c6214768f5b9a4009a9a027a35ae.jpeg

They even yelled out, “GO DEES” with us as the pics were being taken  🤣

PS: Ricky Lever hopes the Giants win it because they’re far away enough that we don’t have to endlessly hear about it,  and I reckon he speaks for many of us. 😁 

I can’t see your face in this pic WCW

image.png.e9377b769db7eb37ae46170d13f2ac19.png

where are you?

ILLUSTRATION

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Will fall on deaf ears CF

It will, because it is rubbish. Cranky has run this line in a dozen different threads and each time he gets asked to say what should have been done he leaves the thread and starts again in another. 

His whole premise is wrong and he is just a whinger.

• Like 3
  • Clap 3

On 06/08/2024 at 05:44, Cranky Franky said:

2017 Failed badly - missed finals improved on previous season 

2018 Coached well - made the preliminary final improved on previous season 

2019 Failed badly - big regression 

2020 Failed badly - another improved season and if you know what you’re looking at the defensive structure was set up

2021 Coached very well

2022 Coached very poorly - consider this to be poor list management and not just on Goody

2023 Coached well - unlucky

2024 Started well then the wheels fell off

Considering over the journey he inherited the best defence, midfield & ruck in the competition this is a pretty sketchy record.

And as for inheriting the best defence in the competition 

May, Lever and Petty all brought in after Roos departure you may remember the Frost, Omac defence previously 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

Personally, I dislike the coach very much. Think he’s been autocratic and stubborn the whole time he’s been at the club.

BUT. This year he tried to change the way we played and it just didn’t work. He copped it for it failing and tried to go back to what we know works but it was too far gone by that point. The amount of [censored] off field over the last 12 months was too much for any good coach to deal with.

Dont forget that Geelong supporters were calling for Scott’s head every year they didn’t win the flag until he won them another one.

It does say a fair bit how split the fan base is on the coach, but reckon he deserves another year where the club isn’t falling to pieces off field and injuries don’t cripple our best players.

You really think an autocratic coach would last as long as he has and keep all the players onside?

Have you ever dealt with anyone under the age of 30? Autocratic coaching styles do not work anymore.

14 hours ago, Heart Beats True said:

Come on, as if he was going to say anything different. Why is this such a surprise?

Very happy he’s signed on though.

Why did he sign on then? Because we have so many poor coaches and poor players? That's you inference...

12 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

100%. I remember back in my military days, when a new person was about to join the unit, the most common first question was, “what’s he like?” If the response was, “he’s a good bloke”, my response would be that I didn’t care if he was a good bloke, is he a good leader and solider? Too nice, you’ll just be walked all over.

Sure, but do you think 9 years into being amongst our core players (with 2 of those under Roos), wouldn't have given our players time to assess this, and that they'd be switched on enough to know it was all going to go south because he was a walk over?

You don't win AFL flags unless you hold players to a high standard. To think any different (and I'm not saying you are) is naive in the extreme. It is a cutthroat industry with 17 other competitors.

My family has connections with three players on the current list and I can categorically tell you Goody is not "soft", nor does he let the tail wag the dog, because again, that could be the inference here. But this doesn't mean he is a coach that shouts his head off either. Management is a balance. My understanding is Goody has the balance nicely set. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

11 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

You really think an autocratic coach would last as long as he has and keep all the players onside?

Have you ever dealt with anyone under the age of 30? Autocratic coaching styles do not work anymore.

Why did he sign on then? Because we have so many poor coaches and poor players? That's you inference...

Sure, but do you think 9 years into being amongst our core players (with 2 of those under Roos), wouldn't have given our players time to assess this, and that they'd be switched on enough to know it was all going to go south because he was a walk over?

You don't win AFL flags unless you hold players to a high standard. To think any different (and I'm not saying you are) is naive in the extreme. It is a cutthroat industry with 17 other competitors.

My family has connections with three players on the current list and I can categorically tell you Goody is not "soft", nor does he let the tail wag the dog, because again, that could be the inference here. But this doesn't mean he is a coach that shouts his head off either. Management is a balance. My understanding is Goody has the balance nicely set. 

He's autocratic with the assistant coaches and match committee and its been a known problem going back to 2019.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Thinking 1

59 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

He's autocratic with the assistant coaches and match committee and its been a known problem going back to 2019.

There was friction between the assistants up to the end of 2019. That was 5 years ago. 

Also, I guarantee you that 99% of AFL coaches are "autocratic with the assistant coaches and match committee". They have final say, because the buck stops with them. Is this really that much of a surprise?

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

4 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

I can’t see your face in this pic WCW

image.png.e9377b769db7eb37ae46170d13f2ac19.png

where are you?

ILLUSTRATION

I’m there. You just didn’t look properly 😂 

4772006D-D4B6-44E4-8A8C-6BE71F332CD5.jpeg.bdb8a6520e34f76272ba4b94de2e114d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Are you planning on going straight anytime soon @Red But Mostly Blue?

LOL - funny story. When I was in law school, in the first class they asked who was not planning on being a practising lawyer, and two people put their hands up. I thought at the time, why would you put yourself through this for, then?? After spending some time in the industry, I understood. I've spent a decade slowly working my way further and further away from it all - I'm nearly out!! haha :-)

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2

13 hours ago, layzie said:

Can you imagine a world without lawyers?

RDT_20240806_2155053166608166522166051.jpg.85a53bd78f897421ed9782f7a74db3be.jpg

hahahaha I can!! 

I think lawyers are generally terrible and pointless, which is why I have been working so hard over the last 5-10 years to distance myself from it all and forge a new career 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, FearTheBeard said:

How come they've largely stuck around too then?

Chaplin, Stafford and Williams all disagree with you. Only Yze left for a senior position.

Edited by old55
  • Like 4
  • Clap 2

14 hours ago, Lexinator said:

I love how The Simpsons can be related to any situation in life and is used frequently here. There's hope in this world, people.

Imagine if these references got banned?

My DL input would drop about 70% overnight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Lexinator said:

I love how The Simpsons can be related to any situation in life and is used frequently here. There's hope in this world, people.

Everyone seems to sound like Grandpa Simpson when I don’t agree with them. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, DubDee said:

so what is your contention?

A coach like any role is either good or bad in the position. So is he good or bad? did he forget how to coach in 2022 or did other factors come in?

Or does good coaching come in waves and we can’t do anything to stop it?

Only can be good or bad.  Have you ever seen one of these things...

Bellcurve.thumb.png.9955ee53fae13ccee10d136982cc5c3f.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lexinator said:

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Moving the magnets at QTR time 😜

• Haha 2

On 06/08/2024 at 13:40, dazzledavey36 said:

Fingers crossed this doesn't happen this off season.

Pretty sure this is what Clarry had operated on a few weeks back. If you don’t get them done in the off season, then they can come back to bite you during the middle of the year. 

• Like 1

Nothing we haven't discussed but depressing....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-demons-stand-at-the-gates-of-footy-hell-these-are-the-five-mistakes-that-got-them-there-20240808-p5k0ms.html

The slide points to a bleak future at Melbourne.

The player list is ageing and lacking depth. For all the denials, the club’s culture is questionable, as is the professionalism of a team that only three seasons ago appeared on the verge of a dynasty.

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game style has become predictable and boring.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Nothing we haven't discussed but depressing....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-demons-stand-at-the-gates-of-footy-hell-these-are-the-five-mistakes-that-got-them-there-20240808-p5k0ms.html

The slide points to a bleak future at Melbourne.

The player list is ageing and lacking depth. For all the denials, the club’s culture is questionable, as is the professionalism of a team that only three seasons ago appeared on the verge of a dynasty.

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game style has become predictable and boring.

It makes for difficult reading and then at the end he drops in the snow cliche. Ugh

• Like 1

I quite like listening to Kane Cornes, but whatever he says is usually headline – grabbing rubbish. This article is such recycled nonsense, nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseam on this website. He doesn't even mention, in terms of our "ageing list" the number of young players that we have blooded recently. He clearly wants us to get rid of Clayton Oliver – I wonder if he wants Port to pick him up? 

• Like 2