Grand Final Entertainment

11 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Cmon, Tell me this wouldn't get the crowd pumping!!!

I will tell you .It wouldnt,are you happy now

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

The way the AFL continually screws over grass-roots footy, it’s not the least bit surprising.

Nothing against Katy Perry, but her prime audience (at a guess) would be pre-teen girls.

Don’t think that quite aligns with those  that will be attending this years GF.

What a WOFTAM! (waste of ******* time and money), certainly missing the sentiments of 99% of the footballing public.

Needs to be music the whole public has heard before and can sing along to which her music tends to do more so than some other newer acts that don't always resonate with broader age groups. Aussie music can be there still as support but they typically don't have the same sorts of followings ... Roar fits the day

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1
  • Vomit 1

47 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I second that, Lex. We did Sleep at the ‘G a couple of months ago and there was a range of entertainment choices. I was outvoted (I wanted to go to the ‘night club’ since dancing in pyjamas and slippers is fun) but we watched Robbo and Phil Ceberano do a set (methinks some of the DA gals are still crushing hard on Robbo 🤭). Pub rock ain’t my thang but geez they were great. And that was without a band. I reckon they’d get the ‘G rockin’ 🎶🎸 🥁 🎤 🎶

Robbo's a bloody legend, down to earth... I still man crush that bloke 🤣

PJ and slippers on the nightclub floor... now I'd pay $ to see that! 😂🤣

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

100% DP, whether you like his music or not it’s perfect for the occasion. He has this insane energy, he bounces around the stage, the dancers are crazy good. The atmosphere is instantly electric. If that doesn’t get folks pumped for a grand final, nothing will, certainly not 🎶 I kissed a girl 🎶  🙄 

Baker Boy performed at a GF not that long ago. And quite a momentous game it was, too. 

• Love 1

I'm not against overseas acts, The Killers and Robbie Williams for example did a great job.

Perry a bit of an odd choice.

As much as I enjoy bands mentioned such as The Chats and King Stingray, not sure anyone at AFL HQ would deem them main event level. Imagine AFL HQ would knock  back other bands such as King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

There’s a photo of her on the AFL website holding up the footy. The expression is pretty much ‘wtf is this?’

Notice, they made sure she had the Telstra logo facing the camera. Not the afl logo...

36 minutes ago, roy11 said:

I'm not against overseas acts, The Killers and Robbie Williams for example did a great job.

Perry a bit of an odd choice.

As much as I enjoy bands mentioned such as The Chats and King Stingray, not sure anyone at AFL HQ would deem them main event level. Imagine AFL HQ would knock  back other bands such as King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

It’s funny, over on Reddit AFL there’s been a minor movement over the past few years to get the Gizz to play a GF. Not that the AFL would ever tweak that they’re one of the biggest Australian bands currently touring the world, but they’ve said they’d never do it anyway. Nothing against the game (one of their first singles was called “Footy”) but they’re simply not interested in the trappings of mainstream recognition. Another wise move from them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, forever demons said:

Im withe Chooky on this Chad was a legend " The sheik of scrubby creek" Played all all the rodeos and had a couple of great albums.Would be much better than Katty

In February 2024, Morgan announced his retirement after his final performance of Farewell to Australia tour on 21 April 2024, at age 91

oops, should have read ahead. i see wcw already posted this

Edited by daisycutter

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

Needs to be music the whole public has heard before and can sing along to which her music tends to do more so than some other newer acts that don't always resonate with broader age groups. Aussie music can be there still as support but they typically don't have the same sorts of followings ... Roar fits the day

It’s this kind of mentality - that it “needs” to have mass appeal - that keeps the whole effort firmly in the land of dullness. 

The Grand Final already has mass appeal. It’s not going to either gain or lose viewership because Russell Brand’s ex is plasticising her way through some tawdry corporate-pop anthems. 

Just wheel out Mike Brady while Angry laps him in the Batmobile and be done with it. 

24 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

It’s funny, over on Reddit AFL there’s been a minor movement over the past few years to get the Gizz to play a GF. Not that the AFL would ever tweak that they’re one of the biggest Australian bands currently touring the world, but they’ve said they’d never do it anyway. Nothing against the game (one of their first singles was called “Footy”) but they’re simply not interested in the trappings of mainstream recognition. Another wise move from them. 

Definitely the most hard working too. 

If they wanted Big Pop, assume Kylie would have been the better option.

Would have given Tame Impala the gig ahead of KP, not sure how that would have gone down in a big stadium though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Definitely the most hard working too. 

If they wanted Big Pop, assume Kylie would have been the better option.

Would have given Tame Impala the gig ahead of KP, not sure how that would have gone down in a big stadium though.

Would require a guaranteed Dockers appearance in the GF to get Kevin interested. 

19 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

In February 2024, Morgan announced his retirement after his final performance of Farewell to Australia tour on 21 April 2024, at age 91

oops, should have read ahead. i see wcw already posted this

Thats ok Chad would love the double.I believe he is a poster on here

I'm staggered that the AFL cannot think of someting related to footy to entertain the spectators at half time (apparently the match itself is not worth discussing). 

Whatever musical act they choose, many won't be interested.  But everyone who is at the footy (maybe excepting some in corporate boxes) would like to see players from all the other teams competing in kicking competitions, handballing  comps, races etc.  Maybe some old stars (I mean footy ones, not pop stars) competing in something.  Surely those overpaid AFP execs could use their imagination to think of a few things to occupy 15 minutes.  Or they could even outsource to some mates to do the thinking.

• Like 1

Perry was picked before her album launched and crashed, I believe.  For mass appeal, she has so many hits that she could play and easily keep a crowd happy with.  Quite a few on here would probably know her songs from radio saturation even if they wouldn't realise those songs were hers / have an interest in those songs.  

She performed at the cricket women's world championship in March 2020 (literally the weekend prior to Melb's first ever lockdown) and it was great entertainment since she just did the hits.  Not fine art but fit the bill

13 minutes ago, BDA said:

Why is half time entertainment necessary. Isn’t it just another imported Americanism. The footy should be entertainment enough 

The Copa America (South American soccer tournament) was held in USA this year. Half time for soccer is 15' but for the final this year they made it 25' as they had Shakira performing at half time. All about metrics, ratings and content now unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Perry was picked before her album launched and crashed, I believe.  For mass appeal, she has so many hits that she could play and easily keep a crowd happy with.  Quite a few on here would probably know her songs from radio saturation even if they wouldn't realise those songs were hers / have an interest in those songs.  

She performed at the cricket women's world championship in March 2020 (literally the weekend prior to Melb's first ever lockdown) and it was great entertainment since she just did the hits.  Not fine art but fit the bill

As long as she sings “ menu log” I’d be happy

• Haha 2

This not like the movies.

The AFL were wide awake when they chose Katy Perry and there's a part of me that wants to see her too.

It really depends who you love to listen to. IMHO she will be a teenage dream.

My daughter was watching her last Friday night and actually thought she was a dark horse for the job even if she's can sometimes be hot 'n cold. I think the roar of the crowd will be huge when she sings.

BTW Did I tell you I kissed a girl and I think she liked it? 

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1

On 25/07/2024 at 17:11, whatwhat say what said:

the afl hierarchy have a cultural cringe that is absolutely pathetic

A most conservative and reactionary senior management team if ever I saw one.

Apart from Barnesy in 2018, which should be standard each year, to Robbie in 2022 (which was the most entertaining thing on the day) AFL are just out of their depth on this issue.  Everyone who has been knows the MCG has shocking acoustics, and daylight donesn't work.

And we need this why????

3 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

As long as she sings “ menu log” I’d be happy

I'm not the market, but can someone hum one of her tunes so I can recognise it?