Oliver Trade Rumours

If its true he got blind at the brownlow and has missed medical appointments then hard to criticise the club for saying enough is enough. We're his employer not his family. We can't be spending so much time on one employee. At some point it becomes enabling.

Some club will take him on. The cats most likely. but it will be for peanuts i'm afraid.

very disappointing all round

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Just watch Clarry bugger off to the 🐈 and be a reborn star ... 
Ppl talk about culture at a club... but  It is imho as much about 'smarts'...footy nouse ...and Dees  don't have a lot... can't  !!

Some clubs are better at managing things....

Messenger_creation_EA379AE0-8D01-4576-88F4-2DAFD7A326BD.jpeg

Messenger_creation_58022911-285A-4BEA-BA6C-986EBA91CCCC.jpeg

1 minute ago, BDA said:

If its true he got blind at the brownlow and has missed medical appointments then hard to criticise the club for saying enough is enough. We're his employer not his family. We can't be spending so much time on one employee. At some point it becomes enabling.

Some club will take him on. The cats most likely. but it will be for peanuts i'm afraid.

very disappointing all round

Easy to say some club will take him on but we have to get a trade that works.  It will be unders on what his value is but you want a top 10 pick and low second round pick.

My read on the MFC strategy is that we want to see if we can trade Oliver to clean up our salary cap. We see Oliver as an overpaid player who is in decline and believe he is a trouble maker.

While Pert had the initial discussions to get the ball rolling, the whole club is on the same page that Oliver should be traded if we can strike the right deal. By having Pert drive things, the coaches and rest of the footy department can say they "want to keep him" and we will be able to walk it back if the deal is insufficient.

I think Geelong are going to want to get Oliver for next to nothing in picks and have us to pay a massive chunk of his wages. I hope we don't do this trade but I back the club on this. They know how difficult to manage Oliver is and the whole footy department (except for Taylor) have their jobs on the line, so they won't want to do a lopsided trade either.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

Sorry, but this is not a normal employer/employee relationship. Just offloading him for peanuts has the potential to set this club's list back years, and frankly I'm not interested in sitting where we were from 2007-2017 again.

If the club believes they need to trade him, either it's for a decent return or we make it work for 12 mths and try to maximise his value. You don't just offload a guy to the detriment of your own position

Edited by Mickey
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

This is all very distressing.
At my age, I’d be better off choosing to follow a club with a chance of a premiership in the next couple of years. At least I’d be giving myself some enjoyment. 
So putting aside the sunk cost of 7 decades following Melbourne, and making a choice for the now, which club would be the best to follow? Yes, heresy, but a serious question. 

• Sad 1

The possible Oliver trade discussion really helps Geelong.

No doubt the Dogs think pick 15 is not enough for Bailey Smith and would be angling for 15 + F1 with the Dogs F2 back.

The potential Oliver trade quarantining F1 torpedoes this Dogs' idea.

Likewise the Smith trade torpedoes MFC negotiating decent value for Oliver.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Easy to say some club will take him on but we have to get a trade that works.

it depends on the extent to which the club wants to move him on and make a fresh start. if we think he's too mcuh of a disruption such that keeping him around is just not worth it then we'll have to take what we can get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Can anyone tell me who/which table he was sitting on at the Brownlow??

Saw all of the insta photos of him getting his haircut and posing with some bloke I’ve never seen who appeared to be his +1 but I never saw him on the Dees’ table and nor was there any account of him on Gawn/Lever/May/Viney accounts or the Dees’ account?!

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Sorry, but this is not a normal employer/employee relationship. Just offloading him for peanuts has the potential to set this club's list back years, and frankly I'm not interested in sitting where we were from 2007-2017 again.

If the club believes they need to trade him, either it's for a decent return or we make it work for 12 mths and try to maximise his value. You don't just offload a guy to the detriment of your own position

We did. He got warned last year at trade time and agreed to certain things to make it work, we kept him on that basis and it sounds like he hasn’t held up his end. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, gs77 said:

It better not be, because with the turmoil we're going through and the bottom-4 trajectory we're on, it's inconceivable that Trac doesn't seek a trade next year. His preferred suitors have ample time to make list and cap arrangements in the meantime. 

What's the deal with Trac I thought he was contracted Have the club done a deal with him to stay one year

contracts  aren't  enforceable?

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Just watch Clarry bugger off to the 🐈 and be a reborn star ... 
Ppl talk about culture at a club... but  It is imho as much about 'smarts'...footy nouse ...and Dees  don't have a lot... can't  !!

Some clubs are better at managing things....

Messenger_creation_EA379AE0-8D01-4576-88F4-2DAFD7A326BD.jpeg

Messenger_creation_58022911-285A-4BEA-BA6C-986EBA91CCCC.jpeg

Why are people so concerned with him playing well for another club? WHO CARES?? Much like the [censored] around and find out graph, there comes a point where talent no longer outweighs drama and I believe we have reached that point.  He clearly cant be trusted by US and thats what it comes down to. If he is a changed man and gets on the straight and narrow at Geelong so be it but clearly the club believe its not going to happen here if we trade him. We only know about the issues in the media, im sure there is plenty more the club has covered up for Oliver over the journey. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

This is all very distressing.
At my age, I’d be better off choosing to follow a club with a chance of a premiership in the next couple of years. At least I’d be giving myself some enjoyment. 
So putting aside the sunk cost of 7 decades following Melbourne, and making a choice for the now, which club would be the best to follow? Yes, heresy, but a serious question. 

Good question and interesting thought experiment - I’ve often thought about this. My thinking was:

- maternal grandfather and family all mad Tigers - rich history, close to the G, close in terms of suburbs. Don’t hate the Tigers. Fans have got a bit obnoxious after 3 flags (wouldn’t we all!)

- up until the Maynard incident, was coming around to them - rich history, good song, good team, parental grandfather Pies, wife and family Pies

- Lions ? We’re 3 hrs south of Bris, Fitzroy connection

- I’m 90mins south of Metricon so the Suns, but just no 

- Swans for South Mel connection, range of pros and cons

id much prefer we got ourselves sorted out and run like Geelong 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Well blow me away.. not surprised one bit.

This is going to be an absolute distraction each and every year he's with us.

Either the leadership group are too weak to control him or they're simply just fed up and had enough of his [censored].

Clearly he's not willing to grow up.

Happily support the club on this if they decided to trade him.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I'm  thinking 🤔 ....  we've been there..... done that 😉 

• Like 1

I've never met Clarry but from what i've heard others say he's a good lad. just very immature. I wish him no ill will at all.

A good woman could be a stabilising influence but there doesn't appear to be one in his life at the moment unfortunately. 

Perhaps Geelong is a good destination for him. Get away from the temptations in Melbourne. It might help him to grow up.

I'm just sad at these developments

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

The buck should stop with the coach and footy dept. If they want him then why the hell is the front office undermining him?

In the vast majority of cases, yes. You wouldn't want the top level getting involved at a level as granular as determining list needs, or trying to court a big name player.

If this is about behavioral issues, the admin and CEO set the direction and if clear standards were set that have been breached by Oliver and the coach/footy dept are unwilling to take action then that's a problem.

That is to say that it's not Pert's job to actually start fielding offers from other clubs and going over their heads is a disgrace. He needs to trust the list management and coach to get that done.

Real dogs breakfast this situation.

• Like 1