Dan Houston

12 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Wait for the appeal.

I hope they appeal and i hope it goes down to four weeks.

Just in case they go undefeated for the rest of the year.

Don't want him to risk missing round one for the dees next year thru injury.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, binman said:

I hope they appeal and i hope it goes down to four weeks.

Just in case they go undefeated for the rest of the year.

Don't want him to risk missing round one for the dees next year thru injury.

Obviously have zero faith in the AFL but I really don't think they stuff it up this time.

As you say 5 down to 4 is all the appeal will achieve. If they lower it any more it will just be so clear they want him for finals (for the ratings etc.) as they did with that p**ck Maynard. He's ignored the ball, elected to bump and caused a concussion. Plain and simple.

Look forward to his clean slate lining up for the dees approx. round 2 next season realistically. Although Binmans wish also works.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Nice. This could get tricky for Port.

I still think regardless of latest media that we're still in the race. Could we see Nibbler involved in the trade along with our late or future first pick?

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 6

Gee this has all rather spectacularly back fired on Houston.

Houston, you have a problem.

From: deal to Dees about done, to “I don’t want to go there, they’re a basket case”, to an apparent mending of fences between Petracca and Dees (to be confirmed ), to Jack and Max re-signing (never resigning), to Houston’s brain fade, and Carlton and us presumably taking round 1 picks to the draft. He seems left with a paucity of choices now eh?

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

Hard to believe that Houston has been put off by recent reported "turbulence" at MFC.  If he has then that says we probably don't want him anyway.

If it's to go ahead I think 13 from GC for our F1st and 27 from Adelaide for ANB should get it done with Houston and Port's F2nd back. Their first pick is 37 so 13 and 27 is a decent boost.  We also retain our current first for this year's draft for a good mid.

If it doesn't happen then we take 7, 13 and 27 to the draft.  In that case we could trade 13 + 27 to Sydney for 18 + 19 and put us right in the frame for SA ruckman Alex Dodson and the pick of a bunch of talls all rated by Cal Twomey in the 20s:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1173505/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-top-draft-prospects-august-ranking

• Like 5

Thank God he's cooled on us because we stupidly would've given our pick 6/7 for a 28 yo back flanker with a couple of good years left,i want a gun mid with 15 years left.

I'd only trade that pick for a Key forward,damn if it only worked out with Jesse Hogan,we would've won finals the last 2 years,guaranteed!!!

First pick on best Key forward if there's a standout or then a mid.

Thanks Dan,you've prevented a mistake,we definately would've made.

Edited by Jack7
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surely there is plenty of clubs from Victoria who would want him and could get the deal done. Most Melbourne based clubs aren’t far off finals and with good drafting and recruiting would fancy themselves for finals next year. 

Had a yarn with a Port supporter this morning in regard to why Port didn't contest the charge to get the 5 weeks downgraded

I believe that Port are certain that Houston is leaving and had no reason to have his suspension shortened to help out his new FC in 2025

• Thinking 1

57 minutes ago, old55 said:

Hard to believe that Houston has been put off by recent reported "turbulence" at MFC.  If he has then that says we probably don't want him anyway.

But maybe that was just 'rumoured' to help with negotiations and forcing us to pay more for a supposedly reluctant player.

Edited by sue

7 minutes ago, sue said:

But maybe that was just 'rumoured' to help with negotiations and forcing us to pay more for a supposedly reluctant player.

I don't think it works that way.  Houston chooses the club then Port do the negotiations.  He's not going to be influenced to come to us because Port get better value.

20 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

Had a yarn with a Port supporter this morning in regard to why Port didn't contest the charge to get the 5 weeks downgraded

I believe that Port are certain that Houston is leaving and had no reason to have his suspension shortened to help out his new FC in 2025

lol yeah because you'd rather that then get the 5 weeks down to 3 for a chance for your top five player to be available for a possible grand final. Port people are funny people hey.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

That's so silly, Houston is one of, if not their most important player, this could legitimately cost them the flag. I'd be appealing via any means available and praying for a technicality. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jack7 said:

Thank God he's cooled on us because we stupidly would've given our pick 6/7 for a 28 yo back flanker with a couple of good years left,i want a gun mid with 15 years left.

I'd only trade that pick for a Key forward,damn if it only worked out with Jesse Hogan,we would've won finals the last 2 years,guaranteed!!!

First pick on best Key forward if there's a standout or then a mid.

Thanks Dan,you've prevented a mistake,we definately would've made.

100% agree. Apparently this is a strong draft. Let's get a young gun mid or key back, not a 28yo HBF when we already have Salem Rivers McVee Bowey AMW Taj Howes........

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

Port asked for 3 and gave it a crack, that was about the only strategy they had. They might still appeal, but it’s probably pointless.

Theres little nuance for intent with just how split second his decision to bump was. Rightly or wrongly the afl are dead against any bumping.

I mean, Parker got a monstrous ban for a simple shepherd because a vfl player had no awareness. They aren’t mucking around at all with bumps.

(and for the Maynard reply people they literally rewrote the rules to make that a suspension, they couldn’t do any more than they did last year to get him banned)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

Port could be plausibly be contending in this year's Grand Final. No chance that take has credence. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, old55 said:

I don't think it works that way.  Houston chooses the club then Port do the negotiations.  He's not going to be influenced to come to us because Port get better value.

I agree he is not going to be personally influenced, but part of the negotiations will be his salary at MFC.   The less keen he is to "sell" himself to us, the greater the salary he might want to overcome his reluctance. No?

I assume  in the above that he can back out and stay with Port after he says he wants a trade to MFC?  If not, I'm wrong and he is in a weak position.

At the end of the day Houston for a future first and then some is a great deal if our list is remotely in contention. Houston for 2 firsts and things coming back the other way can still work too, especially if we can engineer a pick in the mid teens to stay in the draft.

But with Nibbler gone and Oliver and Tracc up in the air we aren’t in contention. Houston’s camp have seen this and backed away. I can’t blame them.

The big question is are Port so committed to Perryman/Cumming maybe even Lukosius (not 100% sold he’s picking the Crows over Port) and even Joe Richards that they’ll have to trade Houston?? 

You risk becoming the laughing stock of the industry (and maybe even legal action) if you make offers to free agents and don’t follow through on them. 

Carlton are petty clever and good at squeezing a deal these days. I can see them being opportunistic.

We don’t have Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, Weitering in their prime and Carlton’s depth. It’s going to take a special sell to show him why we can bounce back, but hey, you got to present your best I guess!

• Like 2

Grading Houston’s bump as careless instead of deliberate gives him the opportunity to challenge the verdict and potentially a get out of gaol card or a mechanism to lower the just penalty. Sometimes I wonder if imprecise wordings and structuring of charges are inserted deliberately so that they can be challenged later. I still believes the Cripps saga was set up to get him off. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SthSea22 said:

Sounds like your mate belongs on Demonland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

At the end of the day Houston for a future first and then some is a great deal if our list is remotely in contention. Houston for 2 firsts and things coming back the other way can still work too, especially if we can engineer a pick in the mid teens to stay in the draft.

But with Nibbler gone and Oliver and Tracc up in the air we aren’t in contention. Houston’s camp have seen this and backed away. I can’t blame them.

The big question is are Port so committed to Perryman/Cumming maybe even Lukosius (not 100% sold he’s picking the Crows over Port) and even Joe Richards that they’ll have to trade Houston?? 

You risk becoming the laughing stock of the industry (and maybe even legal action) if you make offers to free agents and don’t follow through on them. 

Carlton are petty clever and good at squeezing a deal these days. I can see them being opportunistic.

We don’t have Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, Weitering in their prime and Carlton’s depth. It’s going to take a special sell to show him why we can bounce back, but hey, you got to present your best I guess!

Carlton fans are worried Walsh's ongoing back issues will limit his ability to play at his best and Cerra's repeated hamstrings will limit his ability to play at his best. 

Houston may find that it challenging to align Port's value on him with what draft pick/s clubs offer for him. 

• Like 1