POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

28 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Been reported that Langers ran almost 18 kms against the bombers.

He probably ran home after the game too. The bloke is super fit.

Great to see him return to his best.

what a legend

So important we keep him motivated. He is only 28yo, should play his 200th next year.

I reckon if he becomes more of an unofficial leader, mentoring the younger guys he would love that (if not doing it already)

He could be massive for our Premiership Window 2.0 (this time it's personal - and in person)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

the 50m penalty is a blight on the game. It is a huge penalty for what is often a minor infraction and seems to be random in its application. Needs to be sorted.

I've often wondered if we return to the 15 m one.

Maybe not that but certainly a 25 m one. And maybe the 50 for more serious wrongs like when a player is hit high or shoved after a kick or hit off the ball.

The one against Kozzie being under a metre over the mark gave them a goal.

That's just silly.

Good call Mr Fowler.

• Like 3

Was heart warming to see Neale Daniher at the game. 

I wonder if it gave us some extra oomfh and mojo.

I love the bloke. I see him and I do feel sad. But I'm also overwhelmed by the size of the guys heart and positivity. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want anyone' s pity.

Of the Mfc, he is truly one of greatest to be associated with it.( And that is a very large group of greats).

In fact beyond the world of footy and sport, not exaggerating when I say, he is simply one of the finest Australians about. I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

The personification of courage, leadership and humility.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Been reported that Langers ran almost 18 kms against the bombers.

He probably ran home after the game too. The bloke is super fit.

Great to see him return to his best.

He cycled home. You were close. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

On 13/07/2024 at 17:40, picket fence said:

Petty aint a Ruck  and aint a forward 

6 months managing/rehabbing a serious foot injury and missing the pre-season will do that to you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bing181 said:

6 months managing/rehabbing a serious foot injury and missing the pre-season will do that to you.

And backing up week after week as a big marking target at AFL level.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, binman said:

And backing up week after week as a big marking target at AFL level.

And now as a ruckman, which is a really physical role. Just as Max how many times a game he gets smashed into. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chook fowler said:

the 50m penalty is a blight on the game. It is a huge penalty for what is often a minor infraction and seems to be random in its application. Needs to be sorted.

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Maybe not that but certainly a 25 m one. And maybe the 50 for more serious wrongs like when a player is hit high or shoved after a kick or hit off the ball.

That's just silly.

Good call Mr Fowler.

I reckon with the modern game and zones, the 15 m or 25 m penalties will be more of a punishment. They stop the game and allow the opposition to set up and give you no territory bonus.

I think if you wanted to make this better you could do something like setting some distances or locations where the penalty advances the player too.

- When paid anywhere in D50 allows advancing to a location on the D50 line of the players choosing (so can move to CHB from the pocket).

- When paid outside the D50 but in the back half, the player advances to a point in line with the centre circle (in a direct line between the penalty location and the goals).

- Anything forward of centre advances to the F50 (in a direct line between the penalty and the goals).

- Inside F50 advances to the goal line.

It takes the measurement out of the umpires decision (which has proven difficult).

The anomaly would be if the penalty occured close the one of those lines. You could set a "minimum penalty" of say 10 m or 15 m, and if the penalty will be shorter than that you advance to the next line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Coaches votes are laughable

No rivers?? Wtf?

Nick Martin?? Brad Scott as bad as his brother

Rivers got a vote?

4 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Was heart warming to see Neale Daniher at the game. 

I wonder if it gave us some extra oomfh and mojo.

I love the bloke. I see him and I do feel sad. But I'm also overwhelmed by the size of the guys heart and positivity. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want anyone' s pity.

Of the Mfc, he is truly one of greatest to be associated with it.( And that is a very large group of greats).

In fact beyond the world of footy and sport, not exaggerating when I say, he is simply one of the finest Australians about. I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

The personification of courage, leadership and humility.

It really is heart warming and heart breaking. Love the man 

He is actually at many home games and every now and then they show him on the big screen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Coaches votes are laughable

No rivers?? Wtf?

Nick Martin?? Brad Scott as bad as his brother

Mcvee-9

Rivers and Martin 6

Kossie 4

Mckay 3

Langdon 2

Not sure on the breakdown but surely Mcvee and Rivers were best 2 on ground

• Like 1

did this on another thread

Coaches Votes

McVee got                        5 and 4

Martin got                         1 and 5      or     4 and 2   no idea what coaches gave what

or Rivers  got                    1 and 5      or     4 and 2   no idea what coaches gave what

Kossy  got                         3 and 1

McKay got                        0 and 3

Langers got                       2 and 0

Thats how I saw it, willing to be contradicted  and what coach gave what  NFI.

I dont think there is any other combination.

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

And now as a ruckman, which is a really physical role. Just as Max how many times a game he gets smashed into. 

Probably why his mum doesn’t watch games. She attends but she won’t watch.

• Shocked 1

On 14/07/2024 at 16:38, WalkingCivilWar said:

Sadly, yes. If an umpire is offended by anything we yell out at them, they can tell security to talk to us.

The thing is, Williamson would surely be aware that no one can stop the calling out of a word like ‘haircut’ since it’s not threatening or defamatory. He must’ve been so angry that he knee-jerked and demanded security tell Ryan to stop. Maybe he regrets it now because you know what Ryan calls out each and every time he’s in earshot, right? 🤣🤣🤣

What a precious little twerp - don’t like him and he doesn’t like us, clearly. 

On 14/07/2024 at 17:20, djr said:

Petty was rated 5th in pressure acts/points, ahead of Viney and Oliver. That's why he was selected and will continue to be selected.

I asked about the pressure acts in the podcast thread, as I thought that Petty was playing a rôle. 

On 14/07/2024 at 17:56, Ethan Tremblay said:

They they they kicked……….. one thousand goals.. no no no….. a million goals a million goals think about that pause. Or whatever it was. Like back back back when I grew up as a black kid in the neighbourhood my parents were Jewish they survived the war and they trekked Antartica and then climbed Everest. They were the first the first to do it solo.  True story. But that was back in Vietnam when…. when I was I was was a Green Beret with Delta Force and the seals the Navy Seals were there also. But but but……………….  uncle Jim on my dad’s side he he he challenged hitler to an arm wrestle and this was to decide the war true story no really it is.  Anyway put his arm up and he won the wrestle he wrestled him but that happened that happened. And then… then I got into an F22 raptor and flew it home all the way home just like that true story that was back when you could do that full stop. 

Ethan. Brilliant stuff. Thanks. Made my day reading that 

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

A58257D9-EDC0-473C-A9F8-7054D9DDAE9A.thumb.jpeg.d4c0f2c1bc782d6208f6664d2b2148ec.jpeg

#ToxicCultureMy@rse

Beautiful to see - though of course some of the negative Nellies would say that Clarry was sucking up to the coach and that is the only reason he gats a game 🙄🙄🙄😧

6 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

That's just silly.

Good call Mr Fowler.

The Kozzie 50 was ostensibly after a 5 meter kick was paid a mark, whistle not heard, and not called to stand. Poor umpiring that whole episode. 

• Like 2

Re the '50', I agree with you all (apologies for not quoting you all individually). I've always assumed it came partly from the measurement reference provided the 50m square and 50m arcs (so it'd be nice, btw, if the umpires used these, consistently and accurately!) So a reference convenience would be retained with 'half 50' - 25m.

15m provided a gain of a minimum markable kick; the 50m change took it all the way to a 'full' kick. I like the idea that a 'middling' penalty would disrupt the set-ups.

Re Saturday's game (surely this has been jumped on already, so apologies) I loved our forwards getting the job done, tradesman-like. You know who I mean;

Fritta and Turner?

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

On 13/07/2024 at 22:25, dazzledavey36 said:

My only negative is that they subbed the wrong player off. How Bowey kept playing when AMW was actually playing well is beyond. 

Bowey is a huge worry for me moving forward alongside Petty and Sparrow.

Judd McVee out marking Lance Whitnall was the highlight for me on too of many others of course.  Kid is a serious talent. 

Poor Bowser hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury. 

As for Mcvee the kid looked like it was his 100 th out there.

Is it possible young AMW has a future  role as a midfielder?

So exciting to see all our 1young players doing so well.

As for Windsor, he looked very fatigued a month ago but his last two games have been awesome.

Maybe worth giving young Brown another crack the way all the "kids" are going.

And I still consider Jvr in the youngster's group. He did extremely well against Draper who is just so much bigger but not necessarily stronger.

At the other end of age, how good was Melksham? He is the x factor our fwd line has been missing.

Well technically we have quite a bit of x factor there already in Kozzie and Fritta, so Jakey brings some more.

What an exciting trio up forward. I guess Jake provides the better marking option of those three. He's not super tall at 186 cm but he can take contested marks with the best of them. Like Kozzie and Fritta he can wheel and deal from either pocket and slot them through.

At Chf he has great acceleration and  wonderful vision and kicking to a target. Just like him turning on a sixpence and hitting up Disco who didn't break stride.

I'll be honest in saying that before last year I thought JM was done and dusty and rarely played good games back to back.

But last year he rediscovered his mojo or something because he was the key forward that got us into a doubles finals spot. Sadly his injury probably cost us those as well. 

We really have missed him and I think he will ultimately be the deciding factor in us playing finals this year.

Edited by leave it to deever

1 hour ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Re the '50', I agree with you all (apologies for not quoting you all individually). I've always assumed it came partly from the measurement reference provided the 50m square and 50m arcs (so it'd be nice, btw, if the umpires used these, consistently and accurately!) So a reference convenience would be retained with 'half 50' - 25m.

15m provided a gain of a minimum markable kick; the 50m change took it all the way to a 'full' kick. I like the idea that a 'middling' penalty would disrupt the set-ups.

Re Saturday's game (surely this has been jumped on already, so apologies) I loved our forwards getting the job done, tradesman-like. You know who I mean;

Fritta and Turner?

Given the umpires have a 9m marking in fornt of the goal square yet frequenly allow the kicker-in to run more than twice that before kicking the ball without penalty, I doubt the 50m lines would be helping them elsewhere. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, binman said:

Agree we got away with a couple in tge first.

I'd be ropeable if I was a bombers fan with that non mark straight in front. A mark every day of tge week.

It was crucial too because they were on top and really needed to take advantage of the momentum when they had it.

Game would have looked different if they had a 3 goal lead at quarter time instead of one point.

Their first goal was from a shocking 50m penalty so I’m not too worried about them being hard done by

• Like 1

You are only as good as your next game,   can they do it again,  then of course  it gets easier and easier,  ??

but if we cannot beat these ones in front of our faces we do not deserve the finals slot.

very similar to 1987  now that was a run to the finals    Can we do it    Yes we can   thanks Barack

• Like 1

On 14/07/2024 at 15:53, DEE fence said:

Shades of '21

For me my favourite piece of play was Pickett>Melks>Langdon>Goal. Pickett wins his David vs 2 Goliath Battles, and Melks choosing the goal assist was such a '21 style of team play, honestly wanted to kiss him then and there. 

Langdon, hard to think of a better game since '21, it was like Scott forgot the AFL memo in '22 take care of Langdon or he will be the rock that breaks your fwd 50 pressure. Essendon left our wings alone, backed their tall players and proceeded to leak like a sieve from their fwd 50. 

Pressure and Contest - I was chortling, every contest it seemed like Essendon had the bigger bodies, and we smashed them, even Windsor tackled Wright and sat him on his [censored], no wonder he was getting subbed. I had thought Essendon was a serious team and they just got schooled on heart (Chandler take a bow here as well). Next week will be the big test, for me the lid is off if we take Freo on their own patch after a loss, I really want to see that balance between contested footy and controlling the tempo, they have been working on this plan all year, we win and I'm booking tickets for finals. 

McVee is now approaching the level of love I had for Wheelan, he has to be in AA squad conversation. Not a team that wouldn't start him, he's so cool under pressure I'd put him in charge of a battle ship.

Windsor has to get another rising star nod for that effort, his best game of the year, and he's going to be part of the midfield rotation permanently in '22. Sparrow will be fighting for his spot when Petracca comes back.

Viney seems very under-rated on here, I know there were flashier things done by others, but Viney played an excellent game and led from the front and helped pulp the Essendon mids in contest, needs more love in the votes and on the board. He's the reason our young fellas all play the game like its MMA.  

Petty had an OK game, I am fair dinkum calling those who can't see it nuphy's, every time Goodwin gives a player a role, and they do it, they get slaughtered here. It wasn't his best game but coming back from injury, he competed and contested everything and ran all day, I re-watched the whole game yesterday didn't give up once. People talk about him as if he didn't try which is just garbage and posters putting their ego's before the facts. His 'team' effort was best summed up by his goal assist, he could have easily had a ping himself but laid it off to a better option, very '21. Halved contests and seriously put his body on the line, STFU and just say thank you. Lastly what Gawn has to say about Petty is very informative, he's backing him 100%.   

And while you're saying thank you, say thank you Simon, sticks fat, has a plan, changes it when he needs to, has the players hearts, doesn't run around wringing his hands saying poor me, gets on with the job. It is spectacular what he has done with a young team, obviously will only be understood in hindsight by many but the praise will come. 

Re our recruiting strategy, since '21 we have brought in Hunter, Schache, Billings, and McAdam, none of whom are currently featuring, it really makes me think the club recruited for the gap between our current young players coming on. We have replaced people like Hibbered and Jetta, on the fly, with people we have recruited, yes we lost a few to better opportunities, which is the price of success at every club. But we have hardly poached like a Carlton does, we have grown our own, that's just ace.  

Also thanks for learning to play in the wet, has seriously been a gripe. 

Well said Deeie totaly correct on every thought .Especially PETTY

• Like 1