POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

Explain this to me Nathan Willamson. How is this not the purest 50 metre penalty you’ve ever seen?

The umpiring in the last quarter is currently like watching a different game.

IMG_0135-compressed.mov

it's not a 50m HBT as Rick made no effort to try to grab it.

Rick was milking the situation ... IMO had Rick made an attempt to grab it ... he would have ... then a fumble by Rick might have milked the 50m

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I was talking to one of their supporters on the train home and I said I think they are definitely moving in the right direction. As much as I hate to say it Scott has them being a much more accountable team, and it will really help their young guys development.

What young guys.  They only had 2 under 22

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Explain this to me Nathan Willamson. How is this not the purest 50 metre penalty you’ve ever seen?

The umpiring in the last quarter is currently like watching a different game.

IMG_0135-compressed.mov

The last quarter was crazy. It started with that head high free against May directly in front of goal. It was a text book Selwood move with the Essendon bloke just sliding down to collect the fee.

I knew the umps would try hard to even the keel after that.

I was really impressed by the pressure we applied for the majority of the last quarter.

It was so good to see the way we just chased and harassed the bombers, even as the umps continued with their nonsense.

I remember just wishing they'd get it out of the backline to Windsor. First year player that is just so calm and steady. An incredible get for our club.

I gotta say I doubted Goodwin and the club going back a month ago, but we've just lifted our energy and aggression and it's wonderful to see.

If we can keep playing with the same run and pressure, anything could happen.

I really thought we'd slide off a cliff. It's quite remarkable how well we're turning things around.

Pickett, Mcvee. Rivers, Windsor, Kolt, AMW, JVR and Disco

There's some great young talent in there that are growing in confidence.

Go Dees

Edited by Brownie
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

What young guys.  They only had 2 under 22

Maybe I should have said inexperienced. I reckon they are looking ok. Their game plan is better suited to Marvel, but that makes sense. Scott is a smart operator.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Maybe I should have said inexperienced. I reckon they are looking ok. Their game plan is better suited to Marvel, but that makes sense. Scott is a smart operator.

Agree.

The bombers were pretty impressive. 

The scoreline flattered us a bit, as evidenced by the x score - 71.3 dees to 75.5 bombres

Shows how important accuracy is.

McKay was terrific, as was ridley.

Their defence has improved out of sight, though still give up too many slingshot goals.

Caldwell looks a player. Ditto martin.

We did a good job negating merrett, but he is a total gun.

Skinner was schooled by a kid, mcvee. And did some really selfish things. 

Must be a very frustrating player to have in your team. 

I reckon they went too tall on a wet night, as evidenced by subbing 2MP.

Don's def tracking in the right direction.

But here's a couple of things to consider in terms of where the dons are at compared to the dees.

Take draper and merret out of last night's side, and how would they have gone (we had our two best players out, a ruck and a mid - maxy and tracc)?

Caddy was the youngest player on the field. We had the next 7 youngest.

The bombers had 3 players with 50 games or under. We had 7.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Funny you should mention his hair, Jaded. Ryan, our awesome chant-leader, was told by security at a match earlier this year that Williamson had officially complained about Ryan calling him “Haircut.” 😂 Ryan has been pulled up on many occasions for ‘umpire abuse’ something we’re forbidden to do. It’s due to the usual non-complimentary descriptions, but never something like “Haircut” 😅😅😅

My footy influences have always told me the best way to effect umps in a positive way,  was to be nice to them.

It is human nature to be spiteful to those that rile you up. 

Give the squad a talking too. Get them to put some sugar on the responses to the umps.

Be role models for the youngsters, respect those making difficult decision. 

Does the squad applaud the umps when the ground commentators introduce them to the field?

He complained about "haircut". Must be more to it than just that. The umps shouldn't have to complain about what the cheers do.

Be nice, be loud, be positive influences, not antagonistic.  

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

Windsor with 83% TOG, Tholstrup 80%. That's both in the top half of our players last night.

It's promising, for development, that we don't need to work on their tank to get them AFL ready. Windsor especially... already has a tank and the speed, add a bit of strength and he should become an incredible player.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, old dee said:

He has been a great recruit. I think he has played every game this year. A great effort for a first year player.

Some on here myself included thought he may need a rest. Coaches might know something about the young man we don't.

Nice that he's owning the Robbie Flower Wing 

• Like 3

Shades of '21

For me my favourite piece of play was Pickett>Melks>Langdon>Goal. Pickett wins his David vs 2 Goliath Battles, and Melks choosing the goal assist was such a '21 style of team play, honestly wanted to kiss him then and there. 

Langdon, hard to think of a better game since '21, it was like Scott forgot the AFL memo in '22 take care of Langdon or he will be the rock that breaks your fwd 50 pressure. Essendon left our wings alone, backed their tall players and proceeded to leak like a sieve from their fwd 50. 

Pressure and Contest - I was chortling, every contest it seemed like Essendon had the bigger bodies, and we smashed them, even Windsor tackled Wright and sat him on his [censored], no wonder he was getting subbed. I had thought Essendon was a serious team and they just got schooled on heart (Chandler take a bow here as well). Next week will be the big test, for me the lid is off if we take Freo on their own patch after a loss, I really want to see that balance between contested footy and controlling the tempo, they have been working on this plan all year, we win and I'm booking tickets for finals. 

McVee is now approaching the level of love I had for Wheelan, he has to be in AA squad conversation. Not a team that wouldn't start him, he's so cool under pressure I'd put him in charge of a battle ship.

Windsor has to get another rising star nod for that effort, his best game of the year, and he's going to be part of the midfield rotation permanently in '22. Sparrow will be fighting for his spot when Petracca comes back.

Viney seems very under-rated on here, I know there were flashier things done by others, but Viney played an excellent game and led from the front and helped pulp the Essendon mids in contest, needs more love in the votes and on the board. He's the reason our young fellas all play the game like its MMA.  

Petty had an OK game, I am fair dinkum calling those who can't see it nuphy's, every time Goodwin gives a player a role, and they do it, they get slaughtered here. It wasn't his best game but coming back from injury, he competed and contested everything and ran all day, I re-watched the whole game yesterday didn't give up once. People talk about him as if he didn't try which is just garbage and posters putting their ego's before the facts. His 'team' effort was best summed up by his goal assist, he could have easily had a ping himself but laid it off to a better option, very '21. Halved contests and seriously put his body on the line, STFU and just say thank you. Lastly what Gawn has to say about Petty is very informative, he's backing him 100%.   

And while you're saying thank you, say thank you Simon, sticks fat, has a plan, changes it when he needs to, has the players hearts, doesn't run around wringing his hands saying poor me, gets on with the job. It is spectacular what he has done with a young team, obviously will only be understood in hindsight by many but the praise will come. 

Re our recruiting strategy, since '21 we have brought in Hunter, Schache, Billings, and McAdam, none of whom are currently featuring, it really makes me think the club recruited for the gap between our current young players coming on. We have replaced people like Hibbered and Jetta, on the fly, with people we have recruited, yes we lost a few to better opportunities, which is the price of success at every club. But we have hardly poached like a Carlton does, we have grown our own, that's just ace.  

Also thanks for learning to play in the wet, has seriously been a gripe. 

Edited by DEE fence
splling and gramar
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, seventyfour said:

Same umpire who paid that horrible deliberate out of bounds and the throw against McDonald.

We are extremely lucky to have won a game officiated by Pretty Boy Williamson AND #22

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Funny you should mention his hair, Jaded. Ryan, our awesome chant-leader, was told by security at a match earlier this year that Williamson had officially complained about Ryan calling him “Haircut.” 😂 Ryan has been pulled up on many occasions for ‘umpire abuse’ something we’re forbidden to do. It’s due to the usual non-complimentary descriptions, but never something like “Haircut” 😅😅😅

Oh FFS spare me, are they for real?

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

59 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Not wishing to be a pedant or a smartarse, but they had 3 players with less than 50 games against our 7 and one playing his 50th.  They were on average 11 months older than us and averaged about 6 games per player more.  

With us having 7 aged under 22 commpared to their two, i reckon they are the middle aged bombers.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sadly, yes. If an umpire is offended by anything we yell out at them, they can tell security to talk to us.

The thing is, Williamson would surely be aware that no one can stop the calling out of a word like ‘haircut’ since it’s not threatening or defamatory. He must’ve been so angry that he knee-jerked and demanded security tell Ryan to stop. Maybe he regrets it now because you know what Ryan calls out each and every time he’s in earshot, right? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, deejammin' said:

Near capitulation?! Pull the other one!

We kicked 5 in the last, they kicked 5 in the last, to overcome our lead they needed to beat us by 3 goals in the last. They didn’t, enjoy a super win.

Who said I didn’t enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Jeez that is soft as. What a bunch of sooks. I’m all for stopping clear cut abuse but a good natured ribbing - especially when they’re shoddy umpires - it’s about all you can do

good gravy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Funny you should mention his hair, Jaded. Ryan, our awesome chant-leader, was told by security at a match earlier this year that Williamson had officially complained about Ryan calling him “Haircut.”

Ryan:  Can I yell out that umpire Williamson has a stupid haircut?

Security:  No, we won't allow that.

Ryan:  Can I think that umpire Williamson has a stupid haircut?

Security:  You can think whatever you like.

Ryan:  Hey Williamson!  I think you have a stupid haircut!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, M_9 said:

Shotty front spot.

Hey how are you liking Calabria. My family come from Lamezia Terme which is near Cantanzaro. My bro and I watched them play live against Juventus last century. They're in Serie B now. Have you been to Tropea??? 

2 hours ago, Anti-Saint said:

it's not a 50m HBT as Rick made no effort to try to grab it.

Rick was milking the situation ... IMO had Rick made an attempt to grab it ... he would have ... then a fumble by Rick might have milked the 50m

What an insane take

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Supdeano said:

What?

Vindicated when Petty struggled in the centre bounces early? That's what he was picked for!

Afford JVR in the ruck more? Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Petty was uncompetitive in the ruck in the 1st where he was dragged, and forced us to lose JVR out of the forward 50, where Petty was again uncompetitive in the forward line. We may as well have played with one less player.

If someone can highlight a 1v1 victory he had all night, that would be great.

Petty apologists are nuffies. You can't possibly have viewed that game and suggest Petty was worth selecting. May as well have played K Brown if JVR was going to ruck for 3/4.

Petty was rated 5th in pressure acts/points, ahead of Viney and Oliver. That's why he was selected and will continue to be selected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 4

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Lucky he didn't hear what I called him at the Gabba then.

• Haha 5

We are a completely different team when we are applying high pressure to our opponents. We are able to force turnovers in much more dangerous positions on the ground which generates so much more space forward. All of a sudden our forwards look capable. It was really evident even from the way our forwards sprinted to man the mark as Essendon chipped around their backline. These things make a huge difference to how teams are able to exit from the back half.

Like it or not, it has become clear that we just don't have the talent levels of the other great sides of the past 10 to 15 years...so once we drop of our pressure we become very ordinary. Hawks of 2010's were good enough to ebb and flow their pressure and when they turned it up they could just bolt away. Richmond's successful team seemed to be able to bring the pressure very consistently which is what made them so successful. 

Our pressure hasn't been that consistently good since about quarter time in the GF in 2021. If we can bring it to last night's levels more consistently then we may still eek something more out of this group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1