Food at the Footy

1 hour ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

If I'm with family, we generally bring mandarins and a freshly baked cake.  Occasionally I might relent and get some hot chips too. At the Cats game, one of the 20 year olds that seem to have endless money and time for the beer at the G but not watching the game exclaimed in the first quarter and asked for some of our apple tea cake.  I said it was only for Dees supporters - but once we beat them and our song was playing, recanted and offered him a slice in pity!

I’ve sampled your apple tea cake, DP. You were kind enough to bring it down and Mrs Frittata and I inhaled it in the blink of an eye, remember?Absolutely delish.

I too would’ve taken pity on the hungry Geelong supporter and given him a slice, only difference is I’d silently hope he’d choke on it 😂

On 10/07/2024 at 10:06, Ethan Tremblay said:

We’re a nation of whingers and whiners. 

I can’t tell how serious this is, but stadium/airport food prices aka the captive audience tax, are one of the legitimate things people should be complaining about. 

Edited by Mel Bourne

There is a reason we pay for reserved seats in a dry zone.

I cannot stand sitting amongst fans who constantly obscure your view as they get up to buy endless supply of half strength beer. 

Not to mention I don't want to sit amongst drunks.

If you go to the footy to get drunk, and spend most of the game getting up to go to the bar, just stay home and drink for half the price. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’ve sampled your apple tea cake, DP. You were kind enough to bring it down and Mrs Frittata and I inhaled it in the blink of an eye, remember?Absolutely delish.

I too would’ve taken pity on the hungry Geelong supporter and given him a slice, only difference is I’d silently hope he’d choke on it 😂

From memory, it was looking worse for wear from being carried in on the train but y'all were brave enough to accept a mangled slice!

You and @Lucifers Hero are very kind hearted.  This is the enemy we're talking about haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I cannot stand sitting amongst fans who constantly obscure your view as they get up to buy endless supply of half strength beer. 

If you go to the footy to get drunk, and spend most of the game getting up to go to the bar, just stay home and drink for half the price. 

It's the obscuring the view that drives me nuts - I made half the group wait for Gawny to take his shot at goal during the Cats game.  Bless our captain, he missed it of course. We were all rather silent as I allowed them to return to their seats haha

Don't have this problem when with the Demon Army!  Generally the obscuring means we're all waving madly after a goal 😁

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
  • Like 2

I usually won't eat at the footy, just have a beer or two (4 Pines Pacific Ale) in a tinny.

If my son comes then I usually have to get him some chips and maybe a hotdog. There is definitely scope for some better quality offerings. Say bakery quality meat pies and grilled kransky or bratwurst hot dogs in ciabatta rolls with seeded mustard and sauerkraut ... just an idea and really not that hard to do 😃

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 13:53, Ethan Tremblay said:

Unfortunately, laws were changed so not accepting cash is legal. My gripe with this is that vendors (on behalf of the banks?) are pretty much all adding a percentage of the product cost to the sale total. I think the percentage is 1 or 1.5% (which over a year, adds up). This is on top of the fees that the bank charges that we don’t see. 

Yes... condoned larceny.  Since the demise of so many atm's which all but guarantees a lot less folding stuff the daylight robbery for which "fees" are...abounds.

I don't mind a frothy or a red.... but the prices. Seldom get "turped" these days .

Often I just take something.....   but my tradition of a small bag of hot jam  donuts for the walk to Richmond remains.

A thermos can be handy for a little Barossa soup.....

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

From memory, it was looking worse for wear from being carried in on the train but y'all were brave enough to accept a mangled slice!

You and @Lucifers Hero are very kind hearted.  This is the enemy we're talking about haha

I'm not sure that @WalkingCivilWar wanting the fan to 'choke' is so kind hearted ... 😊

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

It is amazing last Sunday there was a constant stream of people going in and out obscuring the play. Why the hell do they bother going, I swear some of them would have missed the best part of a quarter. It's not as though they wait till a goal was scored. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, old dee said:

It is amazing last Sunday there was a constant stream of people going in and out obscuring the play. Why the hell do they bother going, I swear some of them would have missed the best part of a quarter. It's not as though they wait till a goal was scored. 

I wanted a giant shepherds hook to wrench some very annoying fwits outta the way.. always...they just lob at top of stairs.. totally ignorant they're blocking the view of others..They're ok... they saw the goals....

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Yes... condoned larceny.  Since the demise of so many atm's which all but guarantees a lot less folding stuff the daylight robbery for which "fees" are...abounds.

I don't mind a frothy or a red.... but the prices. Seldom get "turped" these days .

Often I just take something.....   but my tradition of a small bag of hot jam  donuts for the walk to Richmond remains.

A thermos can be handy for a little Barossa soup.....

One of my most missed things are those footy hot jam donuts. I actually have a scar on my hand from when I was a kid. I bit into one and the jam dripped onto my hand and burned me. Still…… delicious. 

• Like 4

Haven’t bought a thing at footy this millennium. 
Thermos. teabags, sandwiches, fruit and  biscuits. 
No queue, no cost, no time wasted, quality food. 

Be next thing they ban

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I can’t tell how serious this is, but stadium/airport food prices aka the captive audience tax, are one of the legitimate things people should be complaining about. 

100%
Took my own grub to WCE game. Left at 3/4 time for midnight fly to Manila here. Take my own sandwiches/biscuits/fruit to airport now and ate in departure lounge. Also on the flight. Munched homemade Sangers all the way to Ninoy Aquino

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radar said:

Haven’t bought a thing at footy this millennium. 
Thermos. teabags, sandwiches, fruit and  biscuits. 
No queue, no cost, no time wasted, quality food. 

Be next thing they ban

You're a very sensible Melbourne supporter, radar. My grandmother would've complimented your tastes

It's like high tea in your row!

On 10/07/2024 at 13:39, picket fence said:

My main gripe is that you cant pay cash! Seriously what happens if the terminals go down. Imagine the uproar!

Happened at the Qualifying final last year at quarter time, masses of people queuing up to pay for their food and the kids behind the registers didn't know what to do as nothing was working. People just walked off with the food (I cannot confirm whether or not my son and I did the same thing)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, No. 31 said:

I usually won't eat at the footy, just have a beer or two (4 Pines Pacific Ale) in a tinny.

If my son comes then I usually have to get him some chips and maybe a hotdog. There is definitely scope for some better quality offerings. Say bakery quality meat pies and grilled kransky or bratwurst hot dogs in ciabatta rolls with seeded mustard and sauerkraut ... just an idea and really not that hard to do 😃

There used to be a van outside gate 2 selling decent Kranskys, not sure if it's still there or what happened to it. I noticed they've got the Royal Stacks burger joint inside the AFL members and in the northern stand as well but haven't tried there yet so can't say if it's any good or not. Probably $20 a burger I'm guessing.

I gotta have a couple hot dogs at the footy and got a few kids which is why I pack a few in a hot thermos, a few rolls and some sauce.
Stick it to the man.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There used to be a van outside gate 2 selling decent Kranskys, not sure if it's still there or what happened to it. I noticed they've got the Royal Stacks burger joint inside the AFL members and in the northern stand as well but haven't tried there yet so can't say if it's any good or not. Probably $20 a burger I'm guessing.

Will check out Gate 2 next time I am at the MCG. Cheers.

On 11/07/2024 at 11:05, Jaded No More said:

If you go to the footy to get drunk,and spend most of the game getting up to go to the bar, just stay home and drink for half the price. 

Totally agree. It's especially bad if you are unlucky enough to sit on the aisle. I spent so much time at a recent game standing up, sitting down then standing up again and having beer slopped over my boots and jeans. Then the men all have to go to the toilet as the beer hits their guts. 

As far as the food is concerned, I always bring my own. Cannot stand the junk they serve up. My husband however loves it - pies, hot dogs etc. He always says I am an embarrassment with my sushi rolls, pack of nuts and fruit.  I don't care - I just will not eat the overpriced junk they serve up.

When my daughter was at Uni she used to work at the MCG in hospitality. Some of the stories she told me about food preparation would put you off eating anything at the footy.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Agree it’s fairly ordinary and very pricey.

Buying much less at games these days.

i strangely half enjoy the hot dogs, adding some mustard. And I try not to think what’s in them. Obliterated beyond anything recognizable thankfully. 

Four n twenty pies (aka [censored] and [censored]) have been [censored] for many years, and were never good.