Jake Melksham returning

BoBo

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

Age should not be a problem, when he went out, he was playing extremely well. 
he has had 10 months to get his body cherry ripe. He will have no niggles holding him back.

perhaps his mental attitude is another matter but watching him last week on the bench. He cannot wait. 

Mentally he is in just as good a state as he is physically. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

At his best, Jake transforms our forward line.

..... But, given his age and his time out of the game .... bringing him straight back to the ones would be setting him up for failure!

Unthinkable surely.

Well obviously not unthinkable, BBO - many here seem to think he can come straight back.

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

Personally I’m hoping that he plays two at Casey to get him cherry ripe for the backend of the year and hopefully finals, Jake is the seasoned head that we need in our forward line, he could be the difference. Welcome back Jake.💕

Might have been the original plan, thinking we may have been sitting fairly comfortably right now, but now maybe we can't afford to "hold him back for finals" as we really need to start winning consistently right now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BoBo said:

Going off MFC socials, Jake will be playing this week. 

I’ve never heard a bad word against this man. When he grabbed the Freo jumper that said ‘Jackson’ a couple years ago and threw it on the ground, it really struck me how much he cares about the jumper and his understanding of what club culture means.

Have a cracker game Jake. 

You’re kidding, right?

You’ve been on Demonland longer than I have, surely your memory’s not that bad.

Anyways, I’m happy to see everyone aboard the Melky bandwagon. He deserves this level of love and respect. Always has, even if some folks didn’t think so. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Well obviously not unthinkable, BBO - many here seem to think he can come straight back.

🙋‍♀️

Coz he CAN and SHOULD come straight back in! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Jake had a couple of poor seasons that saw him dropped a few times. Very inconsistent

Things clicked last year so hopefully he can recreate that form. But he won’t transform us

This is true, although there did seem to be a tangible shift in the way he played (attitude, commitment) at some point last year. I wonder if it was after the Entrecôte brouhaha ?

Play him off the Bench this week, if his mind is ready. 
Home Game against WC is the perfect scenario. He has been training 100% for weeks now 

Off the Bench in the Forward line…

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

🙋‍♀️

Coz he CAN and SHOULD come straight back in! 

Yes, I think he comes straight back in - no point in delaying it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IRW said:

He was critised from goal to goal post on here on a weekly basis until you all suddenly decided you liked him.

Mr Petty says hullo 

A new level of selective memory has been reached

100% spot on.

Only 18 months ago with comments such as 

“Melksham must have pictures of Goody”

”Goody’s pet, only getting a game cause he’s Goody’s besty” etc etc 

Those posters know exactly who they are. Changing their tune just for clicks now. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

11 hours ago, IRW said:

He was critised from goal to goal post on here on a weekly basis until you all suddenly decided you liked him.

Mr Petty says hullo 

A new level of selective memory has been reached

You are spot on there, all the poster's who kept saying for few seasons he was only getting a game because he was a mate of Goodey's or he had photos of Goodwin.

• Clap 1

No point in being Cherry Ripe after some Casey games and we miss the finals.

we either win 6 or so of the last few games or go home early 

and  I think he would contribute at least one extra goal than whoever he replaces either as a direct scorer or as a forward 50 general . He and Fritta can run in different directions. 
so bring in Melky in my view.

if this year is to be any value now is the time to start winning again.

Go Dee’s 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

This is true, although there did seem to be a tangible shift in the way he played (attitude, commitment) at some point last year. I wonder if it was after the Entrecôte brouhaha ?

i think you’re right. Since that incident it seems he feels he has personal steak in the team

• Haha 6
  • Clap 1

11 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Play him off the Bench this week, if his mind is ready
Home Game against WC is the perfect scenario. He has been training 100% for weeks now 

Off the Bench in the Forward line…

Of this I’m certain! It’s obvious to everyone how eager and invested he is. I reckon in terms of where he’s at mentally, he’s picked up exactly where he left off when he went down in Sydney last year. At that time he was riding a tide of confidence and belief which was reflected in his form, and from what I’ve been seeing at training, functions etc. he’s lost none of it. That’s along with what I’ve been hearing from the other players, training staff, coaches, property stewards (yes, I talk to everyone; if the boot-studder was there I’d talk to him too). Without exception, everyone agrees he’s more than ready.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I guess the real question is, who does he replace in the side?

If Petty isn't fit, then that's an easy swap, but it does mean that we go smaller up forward, especially when JVR is doing the ruck work. Not ideal.

If Petty is right to go, he could come in for Kolt.

And before anyone suggests it, no Fritta will not be dropped at this current moment. He had a better game last week on Andrews, and I want to see how he performs with Melksham back in the side. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Of this I’m certain! It’s obvious to everyone how eager and invested he is. I reckon in terms of where he’s at mentally, he’s picked up exactly where he left off when he went down in Sydney last year. At that time he was riding a tide of confidence and belief which was reflected in his form, and from what I’ve been seeing at training, functions etc. he’s lost none of it. That’s along with what I’ve been hearing from the other players, training staff, coaches, property stewards (yes, I talk to everyone; if the boot-studder was there I’d talk to him too). Without exception, everyone agrees he’s more than ready.

Do you think he can go for one more season? Provided the body permits it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I reckon he can. More importantly, at this point he’s confident he can. He said this as recently as Friday night. He’s super humble so he said “If they want me to, sure.” I told him I want him to, but I don’t think that counts. 😂

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Jake is 32 I think. The knee does throw a spanner but for smart players that diligently maintain their fitness, 32 isn't as old as it used to be with modern high performance and medical. 

A lot more players seem to be still contribting at 35+ than we saw 10-20 years ago

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

32 isn't that old, I thought he was older, very confident and hopeful he can go another season easily especially given this will only be a short one for him.

Play on Melky!!!

Edited by Young Angus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

..... But, given his age and his time out of the game .... bringing him straight back to the ones would be setting him up for failure!

Unthinkable surely.

Cavendish says hi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I guess the real question is, who does he replace in the side?

If Petty isn't fit, then that's an easy swap, but it does mean that we go smaller up forward, especially when JVR is doing the ruck work. Not ideal.

If Petty is right to go, he could come in for Kolt.

And before anyone suggests it, no Fritta will not be dropped at this current moment. He had a better game last week on Andrews, and I want to see how he performs with Melksham back in the side. 

Chandler, who in spite of derensive efforts, does not score enough goals, play Melky in his place!

• Like 1

If people remember back to last year he was having a similar patch of poor form in the middle of the year and everyone here was calling for him to be dropped. He turned it around quickly and become our most dangerous forward while Fritsch was out. Fritsch will turn it around and Melksham adds much needed depth. I'd bring him back in via Casey for the run. We need him to end the year. He will also free up Chandler a bit and attract another roaming defender because he plays taller than he is. Very important to our structure. 

9 minutes ago, praha said:

If people remember back to last year he was having a similar patch of poor form in the middle of the year and everyone here was calling for him to be dropped. He turned it around quickly and become our most dangerous forward while Fritsch was out. Fritsch will turn it around and Melksham adds much needed depth. I'd bring him back in via Casey for the run. We need him to end the year. He will also free up Chandler a bit and attract another roaming defender because he plays taller than he is. Very important to our structure. 

milkshake was sub for the alice game when fritsch got hurt

he was excellent thereon until he did his knee against the swans in the final round

god 2023 was frustrating 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I doubt he'll come straight back in, but I've been wrong before.

Surely, Petty gets up, but if he doesn't, maybe it's Melky time... that's the only way I can see him coming in.

17 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Unthinkable surely.

He's done a power of work fitness wise in the past month so whats the problem?

Ashcroft stepped seamlessly back into senior football.

• Like 1