2025 Gather Round

Demonland

The League announced today that the 2025 Gather Round will run from Thursday April 10 to Sunday April 13, which will coincide with school holidays in South Australia, Victoria, Western Australia, New South Wales and Queensland.

The traditional Easter round of matches will follow over the long weekend of April 18-21.

• Thanks 1

Virgin Australia already ripping off the poor footy fans, 990 AUD return trip to Adelaide. How's this allowed?

You can fly to Europe with that amount of Money, or the US West coast.

Edited by ElDiablo14
  • Angry 2
  • Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Virgin Australia already ripping off the poor footy fans, 990 AUD return trip to Adelaide. How's this allowed?

Disgrace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

There's a sucker born every minute. Possibly said by p t Barnum

These days they're known as interstate gather round attendees. 

Such an unbelievably stupid concept only the afl could dream up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Slow news week?

nah, just standard counter-programming to another round of umpire gaffes and / or off field controversies

like the talk of grand final in twilight or at night, state of origin, or the timing of gather round, this is standard afl smokescreen

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

There's a sucker born every minute. Possibly said by p t Barnum

These days they're known as interstate gather round attendees. 

Such an unbelievably stupid concept only the afl could dream up.

I’m not a sucker. I wanna watch my team live and if that means attending Gather Round then that’s what I have to do. 

The suckers are the people who book flights and accommodation the minute the dates are announced. Virgin might be charging $990 return today but guaranteed it’ll drop soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Melbourne to Adelaide along the great ocean road over 3 or 4 days, then back via Ballarat. I’ve done it a couple of times - beats flying IMHO, especially if taken at a leisurely pace. And the scenery “WOW”!

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

I can’t afford to go to Gather Round. It’s an absolute spud of an idea, and the only people who truly like it are those that are there on the AFL’s dime - and it infuriates me when they tell us how great it is all week. Any other week of AFL games played on substandard grounds with 4,000 people in attendance would be qualified as an unmitigated disaster.

With 2 South Australian teams anyone who wants to go to Adelaide and see their team play is already guaranteed to get the opportunity every year regardless. So what this is is the AFL taking money from a state government at the expense of the fans. People will say ‘it’s an extra round of footy’, but it’s not a round I, or almost all, Melbourne supporters can go to.

Gather Round sucks for the average footy supporter, and the sooner we all start calling it out for what it is the sooner the AFL might learn that it’s pushing us too far, and its product too thin.

• Like 2
  • Clap 5

49 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Melbourne to Adelaide along the great ocean road over 3 or 4 days, then back via Ballarat. I’ve done it a couple of times - beats flying IMHO, especially if taken at a leisurely pace. And the scenery “WOW”!

InDeedDeeDee!

Bendigo / Sea Lake / Mildura / Renmark interesting landscapes and builtscapes (including silo art) interesting, too.

As to other poster commentary on playing and watching issues, wasn't this year's outcome received and discussed pretty positively? (I choose to ignore last year's...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I can’t afford to go to Gather Round. It’s an absolute spud of an idea, and the only people who truly like it are those that are there on the AFL’s dime - and it infuriates me when they tell us how great it is all week. Any other week of AFL games played on substandard grounds with 4,000 people in attendance would be qualified as an unmitigated disaster.

With 2 South Australian teams anyone who wants to go to Adelaide and see their team play is already guaranteed to get the opportunity every year regardless. So what this is is the AFL taking money from a state government at the expense of the fans. People will say ‘it’s an extra round of footy’, but it’s not a round I, or almost all, Melbourne supporters can go to.

Gather Round sucks for the average footy supporter, and the sooner we all start calling it out for what it is the sooner the AFL might learn that it’s pushing us too far, and its product too thin.

Why can’t other Demon fans go to gather Round?  You are acting as a judge and jury. Pray tell please. 

4 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

And it further compromises the fixture and integrity of the competition. You're not allowed to criticise it though or you'll be sternly berated by Gerard Whateley.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

I’ve found another approach to gather round… organise a long weekend with old buddies somewhere nice and spend the weekend cavorting, watching footy and catching up. 
Had a great gather round. 

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, 58er said:

Why can’t other Demon fans go to gather Round?  You are acting as a judge and jury. Pray tell please. 

Get out a map and look at where the Melbourne footy club is, and then look a long way to your left and you’ll find Adelaide. Geographically 90% of our supporters are in Melbourne, and the vast majority of them aren’t travelling to Adelaide.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

10 hours ago, 58er said:

THBT is not being judge and jury. He’s telling it like it really is. Gather Round is being hailed as a roaring success and from the perspective of the AFL, it is. But in general, to the average footy fan, it’s far from it.

Before we are told dates/times of our particular match, all 16 non-SA clubs (players, players families, coaches, staff, and sundry), media reps, among others book flights and accommodation. By the time we get the info there’s slim pickings. Adelaide is too small a city to host this Round IMVHO.

The folks who’ve already booked flights and accommodation for this year’s GR obviously are planning to stay in Adelaide for the entire weekend. Clearly they can afford the costs and the time off work. The majority of us aren’t so blessed. This is yet another case of the AFL putting our game out of reach of the everyday fan.

Personally, I’m triggered by the very words ‘Gather Round’ since the two times thus far have been stressful and/or costly. The first time pretty much every hotel in Adelaide was solidly booked out and flights were beyond my means. With a couple of other DA members, we drove there, attended our match then drove straight back to Melb. This year I flew there, having only flown back from there three days earlier since our Port match was also at the AO the previous round. I’m still counting the cost of this.

Unless you’re attending our GR match, you really can’t know how difficult the AFL have made it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Agree. I was fortunate enough to attend both the Port Adelaide and Adelaide games this year but it's unrealistic to expect people (and especially families) to be able to head over and pay exorbitant prices for flights and accomodation every year.

It's just another example of the AFL monetising the passion of fans and using them. The game is nothing without the fans but the AFL do no more than pay lip service to the interests of fans. They've now already started the Opening Round concept, which is just a mini-Gather Round in NSW/QLD and yet another round of footy taken away from fans. There has already been talk of another Gather Round in Perth.

It's infuriating to hear those going for free (AFL, media, etc.) laud the concept. Who wouldn't want a free weekend away watching lots of footy? Maybe ask the fan who has spent $5,000 on flights and accomodation for the "privilege" of taking their family to the footy if they are in love with the concept.

Yes, I get the AFL needs to make money for the benefit of the game. But it's a question of balance and how far do you go to make money at the expense of fans.  There's always the ability to make more money but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Having a whole round of footy in another state is totally unnecessary for me.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Highly recommend attending the event if you enjoy watching neutral games as I do. Although to be fair, beating Adelaide to open up Gather Round really added to the weekend, as opposed to getting done by the $4.50 outsiders in Essendon the year before.

Managed to get return flights and 3 nights accomm for $900. Not great but not a financial disaster and would probably cost the same as a 2 night trip to travel up to a game in QLD.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Adelaide is too small a city to host this Round IMVHO.

Agree... Used to travel to Adelaide extensively for business. In the week of the Test match (before the pink ball game which is even more popular) you couldn't get a hotel within 30kms of the city.

Airfare wise there are insufficient flights and airlines simply do not have spare capacity to add many more.

Strangely enough I think it would work much better for fans and as a benefit to Adelaide if stretched over two weekends.

Even better move it to Queensland in May/June

Everyone should prepare for a 30-year commitment of GR to Tasmania in the next few years.

There'll be a stadium to pay for...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m not a sucker. I wanna watch my team live and if that means attending Gather Round then that’s what I have to do. 

The suckers are the people who book flights and accommodation the minute the dates are announced. Virgin might be charging $990 return today but guaranteed it’ll drop soon enough.

Hotels for that weekend have been 300% higher than usual since they went on sale because it was obvious Gather Round would be that week.

I booked at the Holiday Inn because it was still reasonable.

Flights won't go back down to the $149 sale fares that were available yesterday because they were all booked. Like this year, is is more economical for us to drive there instead of paying for flights for 4 people.

Edited by FearTheBeard
  • Like 1