My 3 word player analysis V The Poos

joeboy

what's with the incredible amount of bruce love, and never weighted with any counter arguments?

players like ward and brown are constantly criticized for many of the same things bruce does almost as often, yet bruce is always just commended for getting possesions. now i'm not saying he played a bad game, but i feel when he plays well that's all that people mention, without critical analysis.

he was good, but he wasn't the sensation people say he was basically every week. we all know the mindset is the most important aspect of the club, and he is the only player who consistently does not go in hard. and if you disagree, please site references, not simply 'bruce is awesome, commentator's say he's good, he gets 30 touches' rah rah,i i'm not arguing against this, but think he should be subject to the same analysis the other players get

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's with the incredible amount of bruce love, and never weighted with any counter arguments?

players like ward and brown are constantly criticized for many of the same things bruce does almost as often, yet bruce is always just commended for getting possesions. now i'm not saying he played a bad game, but i feel when he plays well that's all that people mention, without critical analysis.

he was good, but he wasn't the sensation people say he was basically every week. we all know the mindset is the most important aspect of the club, and he is the only player who consistently does not go in hard. and if you disagree, please site references, not simply 'bruce is awesome, commentator's say he's good, he gets 30 touches' rah rah,i i'm not arguing against this, but think he should be subject to the same analysis the other players get

Bruce is the most overrated player at the MFC.

It doesn't mean he is a bad player, far from it, but too many supporters see him as some of star, which he never was and never will be.

His disposal is ordinary, he struggles to win his own contested ball, and he goes missing a fair bit.

If it wasn't for his ability to play in different positions, he wouldn't be rated so highly.

This is not a criticism, just fact. We can't judge anyone in our team on the number of possessions they've won, we need to judge them on efficiency. Bruce kicked quite a few shockers today, and didn't have nearly as much influence as someone like Jones or even Carroll, who didn't get as much of the ball.

Nope that was his direct opponent at the time D. Ward.

Daniher said in his press conference that he was happy with his defence especially Bizzell, Carroll and Ward.

Not sure what Daniher sees in Ward. All I see is an unaccountable defender who doesn't damage with his attack. What is the point?

ward ? ok.. thanks.. he ought to be shot for that.. a cardinal sin.

Biz played quite ok I thought, stil not hard to shoine amongst that lot at times. Carrol...I know this will be unpopular but though he's come along heaps.. he still hasnt convinced me he's really the FB we need, the better forwrds get away from him easily. Still probably just me

Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, and perhaps it really doesn't matter now, but I was a bit disappointed to see that McLean wasn't dragged from the ground after giving away that free.

I can't remember what it was for funnily enough (!), but I remember thinking that he needed to be disciplined and if any other player had done it, they would have been dragged.

Can anyone remember what it was for? If so, your thoughts?...

.....McLean wasn't dragged from the ground after giving away that free.

im happy enough to leave him on and a runner to convery the message that "he's been a very naughty boy !!" ::-): :rolleyes:

Can anyone remember what it was for? If so, your thoughts?...

Yes, he won the free and the Kangaroos player wouldn't give him the ball back. He got frustrated, snatched the ball away and gave the opponent a little shove. There was nothing in it, and really only the fool that is McLaren could see that as a reason to reverse a free kick. Honestly, there was just nothing in it.

You cannot drag someone for wanting to get on with it. He was right to try and get the ball back quickly, and besides, if Daniher ever dragged McLean the fans would go torch the box (I'll be leading the troops). Did you hear the cheer we gave him when he ran on for the first time in 7 weeks? He is god and nobody messes with god :D

really begs the question of not why dod Brocky get penalised...why didnt he get the 50 ? lesser things have been paid.. thougth McLean was stiffed.

Yes, he won the free and the Kangaroos player wouldn't give him the ball back. He got frustrated, snatched the ball away and gave the opponent a little shove. There was nothing in it, and really only the fool that is McLaren could see that as a reason to reverse a free kick. Honestly, there was just nothing in it.

You cannot drag someone for wanting to get on with it. He was right to try and get the ball back quickly, and besides, if Daniher ever dragged McLean the fans would go torch the box (I'll be leading the troops). Did you hear the cheer we gave him when he ran on for the first time in 7 weeks? He is god and nobody messes with god :D

Ahhhh yes. That was an awesome moment.

Robbo kicked his goal, was fired up, got the crowd fired up then on came Brock :wub:

I thought there was a bit more to the free kick than that but I guess I was wrong.

I just remember thinking if it were anyone else, they would have been taken off and told to chill out.

now mclean is a futre super skipper, but we all know that god is sitting in the stands and is wanting to get back out there wearing his 45 again :wub:

The problem with only having 3 words to play with is that you can't tell anywhere near the full story.

Jones -- yeah he was great but his game wasn't perfect. His kicking at times is not great, and if he's going to take so many shots on goal from 50 he needs to drill more of them. A weak criticism I know, but it's warrented and something you can't hope to say in 3 words.

Ditto with Brock. Showed his importance, sure. But he also showed why you usually bring players back through the VFL when you have that luxury. He showed glimpses of his best at times, but also at times looked to be horribly out of touch with the pace of the game. It was definitely a "blow off the cobwebs" game for him IMO.

The problem with only having 3 words to play with is that you can't tell anywhere near the full story.

Jones -- yeah he was great but his game wasn't perfect. His kicking at times is not great, and if he's going to take so many shots on goal from 50 he needs to drill more of them. A weak criticism I know, but it's warrented and something you can't hope to say in 3 words.

Ditto with Brock. Showed his importance, sure. But he also showed why you usually bring players back through the VFL when you have that luxury. He showed glimpses of his best at times, but also at times looked to be horribly out of touch with the pace of the game. It was definitely a "blow off the cobwebs" game for him IMO.

Brock actually hurt himself (surprised anyone? :rolleyes: ) in the last which slowed him down. But I agree, he wasn't 100% fit, more like 60%, and yet even at 60% fitness he is better than 98% of our team. At least he was out there running his guts out for 4 quarters, taking on multiple opponents and showing his desperation. The look on his face when the siren went was heartbreaking.

I have no issue with Jones bombing the ball long from outside 50 if there are no open targets up forward, because then at least he is a shot at kicking it, and if not, we get the ball closer to our goals and we can hope for someone to mark or crumb it down there.

Beats the hell out of handballing it backwards and in a circle 7 times then turning it over.

God that makes me want to shoot myself when I see us [censored] farting around with the ball like that!!!

yeah, seeing brock's face when the siren went was just enough to make you wanna cry. at least it showed the commitment. in the years to come, we'll be fine with this bloke in charge

Great last quarter Dee's, heroic really, I don't care that much that we lost - what does it really matter, but you played so well when you ran hard and kicked long and took the first option. Which begs me to say the first three quarters were pretty woeful (apart from the backline).

The fumbling, poor decision making, poor disposals and clangers made me cringe. I was thinking we thoroughly deserve the wooden spoon.

So which is the real MFC, would you pease stand up ?

Can we possibly see an entire game like the last quarter !

now mclean is a futre super skipper, but we all know that god is sitting in the stands and is wanting to get back out there wearing his 45 again :wub:

Disgrace!

Wheels is great, but he is no Brock. ;)

I just love the reaction of all the Melbourne supporters to McLean. It is similar to when Davey is running someone down, or streaming towards goal. Even when he is catching his breath on the boundary, people are still yelling at him to get out there.

I am yet to meet a Melbourne fan who doesn't think that the sun shines out of McLean's proverbial. :lol:

:lol: yeah look i won't lie to you, i can see where you're coming from.

but if all dees fans felt the way i did about wheels, there'd be that reception everytime wheels got the ball. against the saints last year, round 10, i started celebrating before trav even got the ball on the wing cos i could see wheels in the middle, when he got the ball i was going psycho, which only got worse when the ball was in the air....lucky he drilled the goal!!

but yeah, mclean is a fair gun

With Neitz and Robbo back, Miller should never be allowed to enter the forward 50 again. I don't know we ND kept pushing him deep into the forward line when we needed a target leading up the ground. He made to forward 50 congested and got in the way of our best two forwards.

Godfrey has grat running capacity but is one paced, he should never be used on explosive footballers like Harvey, Judd and Kerr. His best match ups are hard running midfielders one paced like West, Goodes, Crawford and next week Goodwin.

ND get your match up right

Bell should of played on Grant, I would of given Frawley first crack at Jones and Petterd would of matched up well on Harvey

Guest baysidedave
Loose? How many goals did his various opponents kick?

His forward thrust was brilliant today.

As for Robbo, he had as much influence as he possibly could have given the ball got nowhere near our forwards for 3 quarters. It was a good return match.

Ward and Brown are symptomatic of Melbourne at the moment. Lots of possessions for no return.

agree, Ward and Brown out

Godfrey - Too Many Clangers

Jeez Godfrey is frustrating. Love his attack on the ball, but twice yesterday he kicked the ball inside 50 straight to a Kangaroos player, both times the ball was short of the lead. Both turnovers resulted in a Kangaroos goal.

Godfrey - year's best game

What!

Don't you mean "...gave away 2 goals through ineptness and murdered the ball when he had possession..."

Sorry, that's more than 3 words.

BTW - don't fire up about commitment, courage - he has that in spades, but it doesnt win games.