Standard of Umpiring

3 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I fear I've actually been gaslighted to the point of not being sure of the rules any more.

Can someone clarify for me what the rules are about players running into an opponent during a marking contest to keep them out of the contest, when the instigator has no intention to compete for the mark?

Genuinely seeking clarification.

If they wear red and blue it's a free kick and the potential for a staging fine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there last night, and it is very clear we do not get a good go from the umpires. Chatted with a guy from the cheer squad and he said we have to kick 2-3 goals extra a game to cover for umpires. He is dead set correct. Not sure if a few of our players back chat them but something is seriously wrong. 3 examples that resulted in Lions goals were dead set wrong. Camerons first goal, one of our players got checked off the ball by Daniher and went flying. No free. A couple involving May with his mark over on the wing and paid a mark and we set up down field for his kick only for a 2nd Umpire calling a block on Hipwood because he threw his arms up in the air. We were in no position to cover the change and another goal to Lions. Worst one was in the last when May clearly took the mark, had his arms chopped and it was called play on. Down they go and kick another goal to level the scores.

Even some Lions supporters near me agreed they got a good run of it. We need to front the AFL via President and CEO but of course we will be good little kids and shut up.

Lastly our President is alive. Saw here going into a corporate suite last night.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

Nibblers was a free every day of the week.

The problem is, it will only get paid once a month, if that, whilst very similar plays will be a throw in.

Agree with this. It was just a bit awkward the way he tapped the ball as he landed.

His instinct was to play too defensively, as was the whole team the entire qtr. That’s a problem for Goody. I actually think he’s a good coach, getting better every year. To me, he relies too much on system (a defensive first system) and sometimes you have to back the players ability and instincts to attack. He needs to back the individual, especially at the end of games when the system breaks down from uneven fatigue.

But regarding the umpires, Goody’s not someone with media authority. Some coaches will say that “umpiring is a tough job, but that was a tough call with a minute left”. That sets off the media as a talking point for the weekend.

I believe the umpires are trying to be fair, but there’s a human nature to see a champion team/player and give the benefit of the doubt. We don’t have that. We’re instead the team that’s always made an example of.

The past week it was May. That made me angry. Very angry to see him shamed.

Goody isn’t the right person to speak up. But somebody at the club needs to. It can be done with respect, but without it we lose respect.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I fear I've actually been gaslighted to the point of not being sure of the rules any more.

Can someone clarify for me what the rules are about players running into an opponent during a marking contest to keep them out of the contest, when the instigator has no intention to compete for the mark?

Genuinely seeking clarification.

Good question because May had a Mark taken off him for someone blocking when nobody was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

I was there last night, and it is very clear we do not get a good go from the umpires. Chatted with a guy from the cheer squad and he said we have to kick 2-3 goals extra a game to cover for umpires. He is dead set correct. Not sure if a few of our players back chat them but something is seriously wrong. 3 examples that resulted in Lions goals were dead set wrong. Camerons first goal, one of our players got checked off the ball by Daniher and went flying. No free. A couple involving May with his mark over on the wing and paid a mark and we set up down field for his kick only for a 2nd Umpire calling a block on Hipwood because he threw his arms up in the air. We were in no position to cover the change and another goal to Lions. Worst one was in the last when May clearly took the mark, had his arms chopped and it was called play on. Down they go and kick another goal to level the scores.

Even some Lions supporters near me agreed they got a good run of it. We need to front the AFL via President and CEO but of course we will be good little kids and shut up.

Lastly our President is alive. Saw here going into a corporate suite last night.

Glad the president exists !

Totally agree about the May mark. But I don’t think that ended as a goal? I think it was Joe D who missed from only about 30m out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

Hope she had a good feed.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, No10 said:

Glad the president exists !

Totally agree about the May mark. But I don’t think that ended as a goal? I think it was Joe D who missed from only about 30m out.

Yes it did. Joe kicked it off the ground, after all our defenders had gone forward, due to them seeing May mark it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

Nibblers was a free every day of the week.

The problem is, it will only get paid once a month, if that, whilst very similar plays will be a throw in.

This, it wasn't that the free wasn't there it's that you see players about to be tackled step over the line many times and not get penalized, then again if Daniher does trip him it should have been our kick.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yes it did. Joe kicked it off the ground, after all our defenders had gone forward, due to them seeing May mark it.

You are absolutely correct Red. I think I blocked that passage from memory. That was a horrible decision.

It was the last qtr dropped mark on the wing, that was perhaps a 50/50 call, I was thinking of.

• Like 1

One thing our players need to learn is how to demonstrate that they are being infringed. I'm not joking about this: eg if you are being blocked, throw your hands up in the air and make sure the umpire sees what is happening. Ben Brown has always been a master at this. There is nothing wrong with it and I am not calling for staging: just making sure the umpire sees what is happening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

I believe a lot more decisions are now called correctly, but a lot of decisions are missed entirely and not called. These are ones that get me riled. However, I am going to go in and bat for the Umpires here. The crowd around the ball, modern emphasis on tackling and "numbers to the contest", and people flopping and pleading for every knock or impact calling for a free kick, makes it impossible for the umpires to see and interpret clearly. 

I absolutely loathe the modern 18-player defensive net that moves as one across the ground, and it is nigh impossible for umpires to umpire with clarity when it obscures a lot of player contact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenwaves said:

The umpires do an excellent job

I actually don’t disagree with this. My issue is with the amount of, and various nuances, of the rules.

Over the last 2 decades the AFL has jumped at shadows to try and end a team’s dominance. No 3rd man up, the protected space around the mark, and the stand rule, are all direct results of Hawthorn’s 3 peat - which was really an issue the AFL created by giving the Hawks insane draft concessions at the same time as bringing in 2 new sides, which denied other teams talent.

They don’t trust coaches to solve problems, but by constantly adjusting rules they actually give a huge advantage to the more experienced and better resourced teams.

They need to create a fan lead charter, and then massively simplify the rules to reflect what its most important stakeholders want. I’m sick of hearing about how hard the game is to umpire. That’s the issue, and it’s easily solved.

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I believe a lot more decisions are now called correctly, but a lot of decisions are missed entirely and not called. These are ones that get me riled. However, I am going to go in and bat for the Umpires here. The crowd around the ball, modern emphasis on tackling and "numbers to the contest", and people flopping and pleading for every knock or impact calling for a free kick, makes it impossible for the umpires to see and interpret clearly. 

I absolutely loathe the modern 18-player defensive net that moves as one across the ground, and it is nigh impossible for umpires to umpire with clarity when it obscures a lot of player contact.

The knock on Lever with 100 seconds to go was not in a congested area: a player jumped into his back: 'Play-on' was the call...Neither was Rivers mark with 30 seconds to go when a B player jumped into him late...

Edited by Monbon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just watched the last 2 minutes of the Freo/Sydney game. 30 or so seconds to go, Banfield walks the ball across the line - play on...What Neale-Bullen did was in no way different.

So, okay, we have a rule about that: my question is why does one umpire pay it and another looks the other way? 

Then I saw the so-called Maynard incident: a tap on the chest - the poor bastard is mortally wounded, get the stretchers - hang on, No, I'll take the Free, thanks Ump. 

Edited by Monbon
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 2

5 hours ago, von said:

You install an obedient propaganda arm that appears seperate but is not. You continue to value profit above everything else and then let the riff raff yell and scream as they will while You laugh and pity them from your ivory tower. you are essentially unaccountable for your poor decisions and stewardship of the game. You view the general fan as a peasant who wouldn’t know what’s best for them and slowly degrade a game many people have loved for a long time.

You view the general fan as a peasant who wouldn’t know what’s best for them and slowly rapidly degrade a game many people have loved for a long time.

2 hours ago, loges said:

Best game in the world, worst officiated.

... and worst administrated.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, monoccular said:

... and worst administrated.

Well the $$$$$$$ is all they care about so that is the KPIs

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, Biffen said:

I dont enjoy the game as much now.

Umpiring is as unpredictable as Joe Bidens toileting and speech .

Not to mention Trump's Fantasy world...

(In short, what does it tell ya about the USA?)

8 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Professional game with amateur style umpires, afl keep stuffing around with the rules and their interpretation, 4 umpires is too many.

They all compete for attention, don't they? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Monbon said:

Just watched the last 2 minutes of the Freo/Sydney game. 30 or so seconds to go, Banfield walks the ball across the line - play on...What Neale-Bullen did was in no way different.

So, okay, we have a rule about that: my question is why does one umpire pay it and another looks the other way? 

Then I saw the so-called Maynard incident: a tap on the chest - the poor bastard is mortally wounded, get the stretchers - hang on, No, I'll take the Free, thanks Ump. 

Banfield had no intention to keep that ball alive, he had one objective and that was to deliberately take it out. 
And nothing was paid. The inconsistencies have caused many broken TVs I reckon Mon.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

Hope she had a good feed.

Not another one? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, No10 said:

Agree with this. It was just a bit awkward the way he tapped the ball as he landed.

His instinct was to play too defensively, as was the whole team the entire qtr. That’s a problem for Goody. I actually think he’s a good coach, getting better every year. To me, he relies too much on system (a defensive first system) and sometimes you have to back the players ability and instincts to attack. He needs to back the individual, especially at the end of games when the system breaks down from uneven fatigue.

But regarding the umpires, Goody’s not someone with media authority. Some coaches will say that “umpiring is a tough job, but that was a tough call with a minute left”. That sets off the media as a talking point for the weekend.

I believe the umpires are trying to be fair, but there’s a human nature to see a champion team/player and give the benefit of the doubt. We don’t have that. We’re instead the team that’s always made an example of.

The past week it was May. That made me angry. Very angry to see him shamed.

Goody isn’t the right person to speak up. But somebody at the club needs to. It can be done with respect, but without it we lose respect.

Kate Roffey has some media skills and profile and should be out there being more vocal. That's what the powerful clubs do.

I like her, I really do. She has a lot of time for the fans and members.

It's very strange to see her go to ground like this.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1