PODCAST: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 1st July @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the Gabba against the Lions in the Round 16.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0231.png

• Thanks 6

Feel like Binman has the moral bragging rights over George and Andy. The boys had a dip and probably should have won that. 

We're not far off and are right in the mix for finals. Feel like Jeffo for Petty (if his ankle is no good) is worth a punt for the eagles. 

Ill be at the G next week. Keen to know where in the GA areas im best to sit with my interstate membership?

Go dees

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Interested to hear Binman’s thoughts on our fitness levels. Is it the mass of young players with less pre-seasons? We looked absolutely gassed in that last qtr.

The group will get a lot of belief out of that performance though. The contested ball game is back and here to stay. I’d put my house on us rolling West Coast next week.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Demonland said:

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 1st July @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the Gabba against the Lions in the Round 16.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0231.png

What is there to report we blew it !!  end of podcast  (I enjoy listening  how is the bloke thats always positive going to spin this)  Love the podcast  but at present am seething with anger we lost that one   showed a complete lack of football integrity

Played our hearts out tonight and proud of the performance but it was clear that we ran out of gas. Started the last quarter with Petty and Langdon missing set shots that would have given us some ascendency. When we finally got it in the 50 after several minutes we got pinged for holding the ball and on another rare entry Sparrow blazed away out on the full. These needed to be forward 50 stoppages to conserve some energy but the continued to be played at breakneck speed, it was only a matter of time before the dam wall broke.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skrull said:

no goals once again in the last quarter . why ? this is becoming a pattern . teams will start to have belief that they can beat us if they are close

We are having way too many goalless quarters, even multiple in a single match. This has been one of the main reasons to find ourselves in this position today (likely to miss finals).

• Like 1

A few random thoughts: 

Why is Langdon playing forward? Is he injured, playing as a defensive forward or is he doing a block of loading? It makes zero sense to have our best wingman playing forward of centre. 

I think we showed more of what we are capable of in a game we lost on Friday than in any of the games we’ve won this season. When we take the game on, when our contest and pressure rate is up and when our defence holds (and boy how much better does it look with Lever in there). 

As Goodwin said in his presser he thought we went into our shells and played it safe in the last quarter. I almost felt like we almost didn’t take the game on at the end until a minute or so left and TMac was ducking and weaving around multiple players to bring the ball forward with any sense of desperation to attack.

I was furious all night how dirty the Lions played. A few notable examples were Raynor’s elbow into Woewodin (a cheap shot) but what upset me more was Harris Andrews punching Fritta after Andrews out marked him. How does the AFL allow players to punch an opposition player to their body like that? It’s a disgrace. I think if anything the dirty play lifted the boys but I just don’t think that’s good for the game. 

Crushed after this loss naturally but honestly I feel better about how we’re tracking from this loss than after the North game. 

Edited by OhMyDees
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gregdemon said:

What is there to report we blew it !!  end of podcast  (I enjoy listening  how is the bloke thats always positive going to spin this)  Love the podcast  but at present am seething with anger we lost that one   showed a complete lack of football integrity

Get a grip man. We lost by a kick to a team that everyone expected us to be completely flogged by, including most of our "supporters". Won't take much for Binman to find some positivity because large parts of our game were good. Ran out of gas in the last and lost a close one. Game is looking much better and several players showing improvement. Kept a team who has averaged about 130 points the last few games to sub 90. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

I would like 30 seconds dedicated to Binman just saying "I told you so". 

Much better game. Our contest and defence is back. Pressure was amazing from the first bounce. 

Obviously very disappointed with our 4th quarter fade outs. Assuming it's fitness related and not Goody trying to put the game to bed defensively. Is it too late in the season to correct this? I would have thought most of our loading periods are done, the demons of '21 where just hitting their stride in the 3rd and 4th. It has been asked before but have we possibly messed up our fitness program for this year or is it more related to the huge amount of young players who just don't quite have that tank yet? As well as the interrupted pre season for a few. 

Edited by sam6172
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

Rivers seemed a bit lax when taking that kick with 30 seconds to go. Slow to get up and of all times to turn your back to goal that wasn't one of them, you need to get it in quick.

With the ball having just been in 50 I find it hard to believe we didn't have any tall timber up there ready for it. The kick was obviously going to the top of the square yet Sparrow was the marking target, where was Turner, JVR or even Max? If we're going to delay a kick like that so long then I'd expect to see the usual suspects lurking.

• Like 1

Sitting behind the goals,  it was interesting to see, whenever  we kicked a point, the Lions full backs rushing to get the spare ball and kicking it in before our players were set.  They then seemed  to be able to slice and dice us, with their razor sharp kicking out of defense. They were so well disciplined.  

Edited by Roostwo

Some time to think about the game after ther initial frustration:

• we had 13 blokes <100 games
  • we were without Trac and Brayshaw, and a few others as well.
  • we had 11 players under 22.

not excuses, just some framing.

the ‘Red and Blue print’ discussed on the pod suggests winning the clearance is not so important, however, i think it sets us up for success.  The hunt and pressure attitude follows this clearance, and allows us to go confidently and set up our defence. The whole slingshot off the hb is ok, but when it comes at the expense of frontal pressure, i think n the model is flawed.  Only in Q2were we over 190 in pressure, what i would see as a minimum standard for every quarter.

next, Brisbane took the Zorko kick off hb and opened us up like a tin of beans.  We were busy running so hard to get off our opponents that we could not cut off the slick ball movements and our zones were all over the place.  I think this is our biggest issue this year.  Hold our zone or run and gun?  A great plan would encourage the zone to reform on turnover up the ground so that from 80 m from goal we become impenetrable.  Just not happening.

We can be run down by applying pressure.  No goals in the last quarters of the last 2 games, held by teams that looked like they wanted it more.  Misses by Petty (how they hurt!) Langers and others just not good enough.

We are still in this, and again there was a lot to like about how we showed up.  When we win the centre clearance and apply pressure, we are a good team.  Otherwise we are often witches hats.

• Love 1

Hello Gents, Thanks again for the excellent podcast. Binman's eagle-eyed review of the stats often tells a  more positive story than we spectators get from watching the game on TV, helping me, in particular, to bring my heart rate down to a more sustainable level. I just want to take this opportunity to apologise to the Melbourne Football Club and its coach, Premiership Goodwin, for my remarks last week when I predicted we wouldn't win another game this year. We didn't win in Brisbane, but it was clear we could have. It was a different team we saw against the Lions, a Melbourne team that restored my faith in the team's ability to win. Imagine having dead-eye Dick Jake Melksham out there taking that Q4 shot for goal that Harri missed. He's so close. We're so close. George, could we actually actually lift the cup this year?

Poor percentage may sound a death knell on our finals prospects in ‘24.  Even if we win the requisite number of games, are we good enough to recover a significant part of the percentage we’ve lost over the last 5 / 6 rounds?

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Thinking 1

Thanks guys for your weekly contributions to my sanity, especially after a loss or a shaky win like v North. 
The last 5-6 weeks have been quite  hard to take, but despite the loss the Brisbane game was our best for a long time.

Any thoughts on why we just cannot score in final quarters?  Do we really run out of puff due to lack of fitness or burning our fuel earlier in games with nothing left at the end? Or is it maybe mental? Not quite defeatist, but maybe pessimism associated with MFCSS? They seem to go into their shell. 
The debutants this year are all looking good, despite Pup’s very limited opportunities. Windsor has been a real find and with another preseason he could be anything in the next year or two. Kolt looks full of enthusiasm and grunt, and AMW so calm and poised.  Howes will be good when he fills out a bit. Will we see any more, like Jefferson, Sestan maybe.  This may depend upon where our season is heading the next month or so  

Any thoughts on the Chocco kicking skills experiment  which did seem to work when he first arrived, but the last couple of years both field kicking and set shots seem putrid.  Has his message gone stale, or maybe he isn’t doing it any more?   Petty in particular needs some formal training in set shots.  Really cost us this week though his ball attack has improved greatly. Maybe just confidence in his mind and in his body?  
Fritta was talked up preseason as a potential Coleman medalist but seems to have lost all confidence and flair.  Is he physically fit?  Any other issues?  

Edited by monoccular