CASEY: RD 13 vs North Melbourne VFL

49 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Fleeced?  For what may be pick 50ish…. Which would get us…. ??? Lucky to get a one legged tap dancer at that pick.

If he plays a few good games her has outperformed.

Think that pick is currently pick 30. In a draft that is meant to go pretty deep that’s a good pick. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

a chance? yes

a likelihood? unlikely

amw ahead of el jefe i would say

Dumb question, what sort of a position would we expect AMW to take?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

a chance? yes

a likelihood? unlikely

amw ahead of el jefe i would say

Jeffo - Round 21 against the Dogs if he keeps his purple patch up ✍️

Edited by adonski
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pates said:

Dumb question, what sort of a position would we expect AMW to take?

half back

so if salem is injured and they want to keep rivers in the midfield - which you'd hope we do - then moniz-wakefield would be next up

i'd personally be dropping bowey for him

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

If Petty/Turner and Bowey keep strugging to impact, it sounds like Jefferson and AMW could be our 5th and 6th debutants of 2024.

They were both ok last night without setting the world on fire. Think we will just have to persevere for this season until Jefferson is ready.

• Like 3

On 22/06/2024 at 10:37, Demonsterative said:

TMac, Hogan, Naughton, May have all played back and forward in there time. 

You are probably right Dub. 

Ever heard of one David Neitz??

On 22/06/2024 at 19:36, DiscoStu17 said:

If Tommo isn’t playing, he starts going alright. Probably best to move Tommo somewhere else to let Adams develop. I would put Tommo into the centre for more body size and cleaner delivery to the forwards. It might also add another string to his bow. 

There have been many worse ideas promulgated. 

5 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

Jeffo reminds me of Fritta. He has fwd craft. 

Good goal against the play 

I hope he shows more oomph than BF31 has over the past few weeks. 

5 hours ago, Deelectable said:

Sad to say but the following unlikely to make the grade: Laurie,Sestan, Adams, Fullarton, Kentfield. Jury out: AMW, Verrell,  Woewodin,K Brown. Positive outlook: Jefferson.

Kentfield - a very early call.  Laurie and Fullerton ✔️

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

'never' is forever - i would assume he hasn't come in yet cos he's learning a new role

he's been significantly more impactful playing as a back than he ever was as a forward

That’s because for all the reasons so many say AMW does not deserve a place because he  does this this and this wrong at half back it is easier to learn a HB role than HF. 

Surely he has the instincts of a HF also so give him a go where we badly need some oomph and goals. 

Some D/Lers want only ready made products to get a guernsey. We can’t wait nor should we as we will lose players if they are not debuted after some time. AMW has had a good block of games where he has Been easily the most possessions gained and deserves a shot. Chin is not playing well so Bowey could be given a HF chance and AMW debut at HB. 

We have got to be creative as clearly our 23 at the moment is well down on the strength needed for a Top4 spot. Too many players are below their best and the team aspect is very much needed if we are to succeed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawk the Demon said:

I was present today and AMW can do nothing more to earn an AFL debut - and it wasn't just today - the so-called "body of work" is now there. Woey took a heavy hit and that may explain his reduced output in the second half.

A much inproved performance by Jefferson today but I am not sure I would throw him in against the Lions. Another good VFL performance next and perhaps he could be considered for the Eagles at the G.........perhaps.

Agree HD it’s AMW time!! 

• Clap 1

18 minutes ago, 58er said:

That’s because for all the reasons so many say AMW does not deserve a place because he  does this this and this wrong at half back it is easier to learn a HB role than HF. 

Surely he has the instincts of a HF also so give him a go where we badly need some oomph and goals. 

Some D/Lers want only ready made products to get a guernsey. We can’t wait nor should we as we will lose players if they are not debuted after some time. AMW has had a good block of games where he has Been easily the most possessions gained and deserves a shot. Chin is not playing well so Bowey could be given a HF chance and AMW debut at HB. 

We have got to be creative as clearly our 23 at the moment is well down on the strength needed for a Top4 spot. Too many players are below their best and the team aspect is very much needed if we are to succeed. 

wrong i reckon - chin is the only forward applying defensive pressure now that pickett and anb are not in f50 as often

bowey is the more poorly performed of the pair of late

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nascent said:

@old dee did you get a chance to watch Jeffo this week? I put the mozz on him last week but he kicked 4 goals today and took some impressive grabs all around the ground. Will be surprised if he gets a game this year but certainly a lot to work with.

No I had a house full guests this afternoon. Sounds good

• Like 2

When I monitor the comments about Jefferson I can't help but think;

Jye Amiss, who is within 1cm and 1kg of Jefferson, played 3 games in his first season and then in his second season played 22 games for 41 goals.

I will continue to raise an eyebrow of optimism for our future tall forward combination of Van Rooyen and Jefferson.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

What's this nonsense about dropping Bowey?

I'd like us to try Bowey or McVee in the middle and then slot AMW into half back when Lever returns. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

48 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Jye Amiss, who is within 1cm and 1kg of Jefferson, played 3 games in his first season and then in his second season played 22 games for 41 goals.

I will continue to raise an eyebrow of optimism for our future tall forward combination of Van Rooyen and Jefferson.

In the meantime though, we need more senior body cover, specifically in the form of Petty and probably Melksham.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

amiss was a significantly higher-rated player tho, picked at 8 the previous year

the second tall forward taken, after sam darcy as a f/s at pick 2, and the third tall taken, after mac andrew at pick 5

by comparison, jvr went pick 19 that same draft as, and has played 3 less games than amiss, and is having just as good a start to his afl career despite not playing at all first year

2021 looks like a good crop for talls in the first 40 picks who are all really starting to emerge as serious players in the competition:
pick 2: Sam Darcy
pick 5: Mac Andrew
pick 8: Jye Amiss
pick 9: Josh Gibcus
pick 15: Leek Aleer
pick 19: Jacob van Rooyen
pick 21: Matt Johnson
pick 24: Toby Conway
pick 25: Mitch Knevitt
pick 33: Mitch Owens
pick 37: Rhett Bazzo
pick 39: Blake Howes

in jefferson's year, talls taken before him were:

pick 1: Aaron Cadman (24 games)
pick 10: Matteas Phillipou (33)
pick 13: Jedd Busslinger (0)

not many talls picked shortly after him either, right down to our next pick...who was also a tall:
pick 22: Max Gruzewski (1)
pick 23: Harry Barnett (2)
pick 25: Lewis Hayes (0)
pick 31: James Van Es (0)
pick 33: Hugh Davis (0)
pick 36: Tom McCallum (0)
pick 37: Henry Hustwaite (6)
pick 38: Jed Adams (0)

one thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is that the 2020, 2021, and 2022 draft crops all lost a year of development potential in 2020, which definitely seems to have effected victorian players due to the lockdowns in 2020-21

i do wonder if it's why we've preferred wa kids - like jvr - and others such as amiss have developed more quickly in the last few years - they had more exposed form pre-draft

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 2

8 hours ago, Pates said:

Jefferson and AMW any chance of getting debuts?

While Fritta, Petty & Bowey are ripping it up i highly doubt it.

Jeffo has been told he won't come under any serious consideration until he kicks at least 6 goals in three consecutive games.

Moniz has been asked to back off his form as he's making Bowey look like a scared first year rookie that takes his full time quota to find any safe 15 to 20 meter outlet kicks around the back right now.  Even when free players present forward of the ball!

And rightly so!

Cause slow playing & protecting the footy is the Melbourne way.

None of this run & gun, overlap,  taking the game on, breaking lines stuff. 

The forwards at senior level will hate the ball coming in quicker as they're just not used to it.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 2

7 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd like us to try Bowey or McVee in the middle and then slot AMW into half back when Lever returns. 

Why is it nonsense?

I don’t think it’s controversial to say that he’s out of form and struggling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Bowey needs to be able to tackle effectively before setting foot in the middle

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 22/06/2024 at 10:24, seventyfour said:

For the regular Casey watchers, how is Jed Adams tracking?

Good size, plays every week, but we don't hear much. Just wondering if there's signs we have someone who could potentially do a decent job in May's role in a few years.

I'll have a crack at this. I pretty much said exactly the same thing last year. He seems to have all the tools but doesn't impose himself on the game. I don't know if he's too worried about his opponent, still finding his feet, isn't a great reader of the play or lacks confidence, but he just tries to play his role and not much more. For instance, you'd never know he had the wheels he displayed in the grand final sprint because you never see it. If he backed himself and took the game on, you'd probably see a different player. He's more prominent when Tommo's not there but there's not a whole lot of presence yet. I'd love to see him flourish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wouldnt be advocating debuts on a Friday night V the Lions.  This one could get very ugly.  At best keep the rookies who played on Saturday night.  Plenty of time later in the year to debut.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Have drafted vfl players billing’s, Fullerton, schache, mcaddam time will tell & Humter best days are past him, this isn’t topping up your list to win another flag & not keeping Jordan… I grant it our recruiters have done well finding late picks and turning them into gems but the last 2 yrs have been poor 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deelectable said:

Please tell me I'm wrong but did we extend Schache until the end of 2025?

I think it was just for this season

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Have drafted vfl players billing’s, Fullerton, schache, mcaddam time will tell & Humter best days are past him, this isn’t topping up your list to win another flag & not keeping Jordan… I grant it our recruiters have done well finding late picks and turning them into gems but the last 2 yrs have been poor 

We got these guys with the space in the list and salary cap that we had.  They were always going to be top ups, which is fair enough for a team that has finished top 4 for three years in a row.  They haven't worked out due to extra pressure created by a raft of reasons including; general injuries, Angus retiring & Clarrie self destructing.

Id be happier to criticise the lack of improvement from the rest of the playing group, particularly around kicking and forward structure, than to criticise the recruiters.  There's also a good reason to question why the Perry "experiment" has continued.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1