POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

I was worried for Trac when he came back on the ground after what could have been/is a significant injury! He didn’t look right at all and then to see him strapped in and off to hospital showed what a ridiculous decision to let him back on the ground was. Where was the duty of care for Christian? A really poor decision and with the way we’re playing at the moment and the sudden drop in form has me concerned that this and other, in my opinion poor decisions could be starting to show up in the playing group. 

Hopefully it’s a blip and we can get back to our consistently competitive efforts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug Reemer said:

Watching the replay you can’t even hear our “supporter” base boo maynard. 

We may genuinely get under 15k to the north game. 

It was definitely there but then the pies fans woke up & cheered him. I gave up booing him because I was just perplexed with how we were performing 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

I hear ya. That finals series changed a lot of how I view the game now. I don't get triggered by any stupid AFL decisions anymore because seeing them not uphold their own rules was the final straw. I was absolutely spent  as soon as that season ended, I had spent nearly every week of the season hell bent on seeing that illusive flag at the G, I became obsessed and it was exhausting. I didn't want to know about footy for months, as a matter of fact the new season came way too soon, I could have gone another few months without it. I'd also had some personal news that I'm still currently trying to work through that put things into perspective. 

Because of all of this I changed my attitude towards our fortunes. I lowered the expectations and tried to get back to just enjoying the game for what it is. It hasn't been easy, but I don't regret this. I also decided that 21 was likely 'the one' and to just be eternally grateful for what I was able to see. 

We as fans got bashed around last year. None of this is meant to be a sympathy story but I have certainly changed as a result of it.

I can relate to this in many ways, thanks for sharing layzie. I hope you get through the personal challenges as best you can.

I agree footy comes around so quickly. That with for example, constant trade, draft commentary during season and post-season it's become like most things in society a needs-now basis and accessibility 24/7, which is unhealthy and exhausting physically, mentally and emotionally. Personally find it easier to just watch neutral games, less expectations and goes back to basics of enjoying it as fun and entertainment.

And with the highs and lows, ebbs and flows, history is etched with Melbourne Demons 2021 Premiers, and there's nothing anyone can do to change that, which I am so grateful to have been alive to witness this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watching the replay you can’t even hear our “supporter” base boo maynard. 

We may genuinely get under 15k to the north game. 

I'm not going. Our game is so boring to watch my kids wanted to go home

Can anyone outline the intended benefit of putting Langford in defensive half forward role?

I feel like we're robbing ourselves of a genuine wingman, who doesn't have the pressure ability or goalkicking skills to excel forward of centre.

Edited by Seraph
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Can anyone outline the intended benefit of putting Langford in defensive half forward role?

I feel like we're robbing ourselves of a genuine wingman, who doesn't have the pressure ability or goalkicking skills to excel forward of centre.

That’s the result of using ANB as a tagger/playing him as a starting centre bounce midfielder.

It’s the flow on effect from the Brayshaw retirement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Have to give a lot of credit to Alex Neal-Bullen for his job on Daicos. Although I thought it robbed us of a system component he certainly did a great job. 

15 possessions a career low for Daicos?

Agreed he did better than I thought he was disciplined all day.

• Like 3

It may be emotional after today’s result but I fear for this club. This is the front two rows on the third level of the MCC today. These are “usually” highly sort after seats for any game let alone a Kings Birthday game. I sit here most weeks and this is unheard of. I have NEVER sat in a row that has no other people in it.

Yes the MCC is a mixed bag supporter wise, but the MFC still has a majority MFC supporter, member base.

i fear dark times ares not far away again.

IMG_1800.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I know his skills aren’t great but neither were Hunts.

AMW has pace. Have a look at him. He may be better in an better standard.

You make a good point and he may be a better option than Laurie

14 minutes ago, Older demon said:

You make a good point and he may be a better option than Laurie

He's a slight step up on Laurie, Chandler, Billings & Bowsa at the moment.

A decent rebounding link up player that has the wheels the above don't.  Brings fairly high pressure too.

I'd play him in a heart beat in front if the above for at least a block of 3 to 4 matches and see what he can bring.

Was only ok at Casey this week though and Goodwin hasn't bothered to pick him in 2.5 seasons now even when he's had so super solid games so cant see that changing for North.

His coaching has become very bland and predictable now.  Boring stuff and has run out of ideas and ability to motivate this team to play hard nosed 'on-the-edge' footy.

We are about to waste our third season in a row with a list that was in the window.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

I'm disappointed that we didn't go after Maynard more. Do they even remember who Gus is anymore?

Righto, I'm done for tonight and maybe for a while to be honest.

Was all for getting stuck in and giving him a bump here and there but that's clearly not good enough, the directive should have been to not let him walk off the field! Forget the football game, this is about honour, hustle, loyalty, respect!

Dont forget to visit the other thread for a good old meatheaded discussion on this topic not to be missed!

• Like 1

I personally had a lot of hope for Bailey Laurie. Unfortunately, I don't think he is up to AFL standard. But he had a lot of friends today. Our overall performance was woeful.

Let's hope Christian Petracca recovers quickly from his injury.

If we lose to North Melbourne it will be season OVER for 2024.

38 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I personally had a lot of hope for Bailey Laurie. Unfortunately, I don't think he is up to AFL standard. But he had a lot of friends today. Our overall performance was woeful.

Let's hope Christian Petracca recovers quickly from his injury.

If we lose to North Melbourne it will be season OVER for 2024.

I'd like to give Laurie at least a run of 3-4 games. 1st full game since opening round and thought he wasn't in our bottom 4-6 players.

I have hope for him, but not convinced he makes it either. But we're never going to find out if we drop him after a single game then bring him as a sub 6 weeks later. If we can afford to give McAdam, Billings, Chandler multiple games of sub par performance then how about we give the kid some confidence and back him in for a few games.

• Like 1

It's so painful to see us kick 6:15 and that hateful team kick 14:5.  

Poor old Petty with twelve touches and zero score.  We've carried him for weeks for some reason I can't fathom and effectively been a man down all game.  It's starting to look like cruelty. 

Then you have Billings, Chandler, Laurie all 0.0.  and Turner 0.1.  I think our coaches think they're tactical geniuses who can do stuff that's never historically worked for anyone else and somehow make it work for us. 

The Grundy thing was wishful thinking, but the recurring effort to turn alright full backs into key forwards is just bizarre.  Why do we persist with the forward coaching setup that is clearly not delivering?  

Many of our players are poor kicks but great competitors so why suddenly try to have them avoid all contest and force them to play some over elaborate version of the beautiful game?  All around the field we keep kicking or handpassing the ball to opposition players and killing ourselves with demoralising turnover goals. 

The past couple of years we just needed to stop butchering the ball out of midfield and bombing it long to outnumbered contests.  I thought we could keep most of the rest of the game and just lower our eyes to players who should be making leads - like natural forwards would do instinctively unlike converts from full back.  

I don't rate Longmuir as a coach and think he often looks out of his depth but then I look at the humiliation he engineered for us last week.  What does that say about our coach.  

I was never convinced about the merits of our coach, but I think he's an absolute liability since Yze went.  22 and 23 were hard years watching us play, even during the games we won, but there's no tactical nous or in-game strategic responses.   I wish we'd elevated Yze (or someone else) instead, because SG was a known quantity and apart from the flag I always felt he underperformed. 

At the moment we're not even competitive we're embarassing.  I'm a fair person and don't like having a go at the man, but as a competitor you have to hope he'd be honest enough to admit he's not doing a great job, or that he's not going about it the right way. 

I'm pessimistic about the rest of the season and future years under him.  At least if the coaching situation changed we could try to restore some spirit and pride in the team and play some enjoyable competitive football, rather than repeating the same mistakes.  I fear there will be an exodus of players through retirement and frustration.  

From my background playing Gaelic Football, Rugby and even over 35s over here I feel like some players are lacking team spirit and pride right now.  I'm not sure the cause and I know they're professionals and it's a small community, but I think we're too soft and gentlemanly.  Stuff like the unnecessary friendliness to the Scumbag with the Skunk haircut doesn't sit well with me, nor does the failure to stick up for Max clearly getting belted.  

And before people have crack at me I am a redleg and go to almost every home and Marvel based game subject to occasional young family circumstances.  I really want us to improve and turn it around because honestly apart from a flag I watched on my couch in the company of some friends on skype screens there has been a lot of frustration in recent years, such as 2019 (I know injuries etc,) Straight sets and now West Coast, Freo Collingwood and I'm dreading what we'll dish up next.  Those losses and almost games were tolerable when we were being competitive, but that's hardly how I'd describe our recent form. 

Sigh.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

1. MFC has the wrong game plan at present. If the ball gets ‘over the back’ there’s nobody there to kick to in the forward fifty. The slow build up, allowing the opposition to get back and clog up the fifty then bombing it in doesn’t  work. 

2. A gambler tries the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. Goodwin is a gambler. 

3. This year’s hopes and dreams are over after today.

4. The premiership window for MFC closed in the last four weeks.

5. Collingwood aim to injure our players every year. Now it’s Petracca. Last year it was Brayshaw. For several years it has been Max Gawn. I hope Petracca has not injured a kidney or his spleen as that targeted knee could well do a major internal injury. 

6. For three years now we’ve been kicking points instead of goals and losing games as a consequence. 

TIME TO CHANGE THE GAME PLAN BADLOSS!!!!

• Clap 1

I've had a good night's sleep so feeling fresh and energised this morning.

I think it's almost official. We're [censored] again. We had a good run there for a few years. Some good memories.

The season will play out, but I can't see much other than scrapping to make finals.

We'll see where we end up at the end of the season, but it looks like we are well off contending. that being the case i hope the club make the decision to get the rebuild underway and set us up for our next window. Tassie coming into the comp so we'll have to contend with a compromised draft soon. It has to be a factor in our decision making.

As ever, Go Dees

• Like 2

Let's hope Dallas can make a series of it, the Euro 2024 is a ripper with expanded group stage and the olympics is an entertaining fortnight with a stacked American dream team and Boomers going for a medal, and some thrilling swimming and track and field finishes. Maybe another Bradbury moment.

Edited by John Demonic

9 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

What's happened to viney?

He started the season off great & his kicking had improved but now esju back to poor disposals.  He's also missing tackles

He's not alone....Oppo players walking through one armed tackles left right n centre

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I haven't seen goody's presser. anyone know what he said?

Nothing inspiring, nothing new, no specifics upon which to outwardly analyse options, no direct comments at all other than well-deserved praise for ANB's tagging role, no exploration of key remedies for performance. Notably, we no longer attempt to look into Goodwin's post-game pressers; fuddle-duddle, non-specifics. Particularly after a loss but also, after a win (that appears to be as random as his 'explanatory and sandy intents'. We linger on, once again. 

Edited by Deemania since 56

I thought after we beat Geelong we were back on track. We lost to Carlton but I thought ok we started badly & then we had the pathetic loss to west coast then obviously last weeks disaster then yesterday. 

Just didn't think we'd be back to these hideous performances again.